Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 07-09-2019, 07:54 PM
Chessic Sense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
What we mean is what was said. It isn't clearly true, because Trump himself did not offer that explanation. When someone is being called to task, their explanation is the one that is relevant. Explanations made up after the fact are just attempts to defend them. They have little relevance.
OMG, you're not actually suggesting that Trump might LIE about something and fail to admit fault, are you?! Egad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
However, even if we do allow for your explanation, it still doesn't actually work. It doesn't explain how, once he was off the teleprompter, he said even dumber things. There is no word that replaced "airports" that would fit, and neither Trump himself nor his speechwriters have offered one.
I already told you the word that replaces "airports." It's "ramparts." "Manned the ramparts." Y'know, as in "o'er the ramparts we watched." You may have heard that alongside other phrases Trump said, like "the rocketsí red glare" and "their star spangled banner waved." Sound familiar?

Watch the video again. You can hear him say it wrong, stop himself, and try again.
"Our army manned the airpuh...it read the ramparts" After that, he's off track. Watch his hands. His body language says "I don't know what to say." Do you really think a professional speechwriter put "it did everything it had to do" in the final text? In the words of Joe Biden, c'mon man.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Trump said these stupid things, which is evidence of declining intelligence compared to what he's said before, and thus evidence of dementia. You even admitted he didn't know what he was saying.
You guys are acting like the dude is speaking extemporaneously, generating ideas from his own head. He's not. He's reading. It's really not that hard to figure out.

I like how you say "admitted", like a confession or something.
  #102  
Old 07-09-2019, 10:25 PM
The Tooth is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 4,728
Yeah, but he told a bunch of boy scouts about his friend's sex yacht; it's hard to chalk that one up to a bad read. It's not my place to say if President Not-my-type is clinically mentally ill, but I feel safe in proclaiming him fucking bonkers. He's at the bottom end of every other bell curve that describes human behaviour, why not mental health's as well?
__________________
"It would never occur to me to wear pink, just as it would never occur to Michael Douglas to play a poor person." - Sarah Vowell
  #103  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:24 PM
BeepKillBeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,491
This parody doesn't sound to far off from reality. I've no idea if bush has dementia, but he is definitely an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI0_mEMaTyE
  #104  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
Guys, it's not that hard to figure out. "Ramparts" was on the teleprompter. He's behind bulletproof glass, rain is beading on the panes, so probably on the screen too, and he's got 70 year old eyes. It says "manned the ramparts." He said "manned the air [whoops, I mean] rammed [ah fuck, it says ramparts] the ramparts." Does it make sense? No. Does it make him look stupid? Yes. Is it hard to figure out what happened? No.
Do you remember when the right used to complain endlessly about how Obama would read his speeches off a teleprompter? Because I do

And now we're supposed to excuse Trump being a deranged, incompetent moron who thought there were airports in the 18th century because he read it on a teleprompter?

Nope.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 07-10-2019 at 08:43 PM.
  #105  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 PM
Chessic Sense is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Do you remember when the right used to complain endlessly about how Obama would read his speeches off a teleprompter? Because I do

And now we're supposed to excuse Trump
Supposed to? Who is doing supposing? Were you given a homework assignment or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
being a deranged, incompetent moron who thought there were airports in the 18th century because he read it on a teleprompter?

Nope.
So you agree he misread a teleprompter.

Last edited by Chessic Sense; 07-10-2019 at 08:51 PM.
  #106  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,147
No, I don't agree his misread a teleprompter. I'm saying even if he did it doesn't excuse him being a fucking moron.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion
  #107  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 PM
Moriarty's Avatar
Moriarty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
...I feel safe in proclaiming him fucking bonkers...
Now thatís a diagnosis I heartily endorse!
  #108  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
...I feel safe in proclaiming him fucking bonkers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Now thatís a diagnosis I heartily endorse!
Oh, but poor Bonkers.
  #109  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:56 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
So you agree he misread a teleprompter.
There's a delightful children's book, The Book With No Pictures, designed to be read aloud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book With No Pictures
Here is how books work: everything the words say, the person reading the book has to say.

No matter what.

That's the deal.
That's the rule.

So that means, even if the words say

BLORK
wait--what?

That doesn't even mean anything.
And so on, until by the end of the book the reader confesses to having a best friend named Boo Boo Butt and to being a monkey who taught themselves to read and who is reading with a monkey mouth in a monkey voice.

Kids freakin LOVE this book. Part of what's so funny to them is that it's obviously not true: just because the words are on the page, YOU DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE TO READ THEM.

Teleprompters work the same way.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-10-2019 at 10:56 PM.
  #110  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,148
To be clear: I can easily imagine myself misreading a teleprompter and thinking the word "rampart" was "airport."

But I cannot imagine myself not realizing what I was saying. And if I'd said something about an 18th-century army taking over airports, I can't imagine just continuing on as if there was nothing wrong with that. Motherfucker just keeps on talking through that line, doesn't even stumble after he says "they took over the airports."

That's not right, y'all.
  #111  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:06 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chessic Sense View Post
After that, he's off track. Watch his hands. His body language says "I don't know what to say."

...

You guys are acting like the dude is speaking extemporaneously, generating ideas from his own head. He's not. He's reading.
I'm actually having trouble figuring out your argument, on rereading it. When he's blathering about taking over airports, do you believe he's reading, or do you believe he's off-track and doesn't know what to say and so is extemporizing?
  #112  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Bookkeeper's Avatar
Bookkeeper is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ottawa, Canuckistan
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
To be clear: I can easily imagine myself misreading a teleprompter and thinking the word "rampart" was "airport."

But I cannot imagine myself not realizing what I was saying. And if I'd said something about an 18th-century army taking over airports, I can't imagine just continuing on as if there was nothing wrong with that. Motherfucker just keeps on talking through that line, doesn't even stumble after he says "they took over the airports."

That's not right, y'all.
I suspect that his disinclination for reading briefing papers (and apparently pretty much anything) may be due to some form of dyslexia and/or refusal to use glasses as age hampers his eyesight. He misreads a word and his mouth fills in something similar sounding. He doesn't notice that it doesn't make sense because the words are of no significance to him - they are merely the "blah, blah, blah" that lets him stand up there in the role of POTUS and have people applaud him and jet planes roar overhead.
  #113  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 AM
BeepKillBeep is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,491
Exactly. If you give Trump every possible benefit of the doubt, then he's still at a minimum incredibly dumb, incompetent and ignorant.
  #114  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
I suspect that his disinclination for reading briefing papers (and apparently pretty much anything) may be due to some form of dyslexia and/or refusal to use glasses as age hampers his eyesight. He misreads a word and his mouth fills in something similar sounding. He doesn't notice that it doesn't make sense because the words are of no significance to him - they are merely the "blah, blah, blah" that lets him stand up there in the role of POTUS and have people applaud him and jet planes roar overhead.
Like this. All he hears are a few key words and his name.
__________________
"If we're not supposed to dance, why all this music?" Gregory Orr
  #115  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Crane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,092
Neurological disorder? Sounds like something clinical that I'm not qualified to diagnose.

However, I can comment on what I observe.

Trump was raised in Dr. Norman Vincent Peales' "Power of Positive Thinking" church. The basic tenet of the church is to react to the world as you believe it should be - not as it is. Trump constantly exhibits this characteristic. In Trumps' world he is the all powerful head of the US Government. Those who support his world view are noble and skilled. Those who do not support his world view are stupid loosers. An individual may occupy both positions within minutes of each other. It's simply Trumps' world view at the time of the utterance. The past, fact and truth do not exist in the Peale positive philosophy. Positive belief can alter reality.

Ones religious belief is delusional, even an atheist. It's a matter of degree. So, is Trumps' delusion an illness? Is his philosophy in the office of President a First Amendment violation?
  #116  
Old 07-14-2019, 01:46 PM
QuickSilver is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
To be clear: I can easily imagine myself misreading a teleprompter and thinking the word "rampart" was "airport."

But I cannot imagine myself not realizing what I was saying. And if I'd said something about an 18th-century army taking over airports, I can't imagine just continuing on as if there was nothing wrong with that. Motherfucker just keeps on talking through that line, doesn't even stumble after he says "they took over the airports."

That's not right, y'all.
But they had already "rammed the ramparts" in the previous sentence. Clearly taking over the airports is the next strategic move. A very stable genius knows this.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #117  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:34 PM
carrps is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Like this. All he hears are a few key words and his name.
Ha. I knew it would be this cartoon. One of my favs.
  #118  
Old 07-24-2019, 03:54 AM
Eclipse Chaser is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 122
He's now referring to Boris Johnson as "Britain Trump". Not "British Trump". Britain Trump. Doesn't make sense.

And saying that we in the UK love him .... sorry, I don't know anyone who doesn't despise him.
  #119  
Old 07-24-2019, 06:12 AM
Wolf333 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Like this. All he hears are a few key words and his name.

The dog is even almost the right color.
  #120  
Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,109
I'll admit that I don't watch Trump's every move, but lately he seems to be more coherent, if no less hateful and wrong. His recent attacks on AOC and others, and his "love it ir leave it" speeches have seemed dangerously calculated and consistent.
  #121  
Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 AM
krondys's Avatar
krondys is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gillette, Wyoming
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Like this. All he hears are a few key words and his name.
Ha, I knew before clicking what it would be...

ETA: carrps and I had eerily similar responses...

Last edited by krondys; 07-24-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: ETA: <keanu> Whoa... </keanu>
  #122  
Old 07-25-2019, 01:57 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,109
I don't know if this was today, and I don't have the full context, but Trump looks and sounds pretty muddled here as he makes remarks at an honor guard review. He stumbles over "lawmakers", then seems to go off in a direction only he understands, rambling about 98 or 90...something

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/...61541103575040

Yesterday I was saying he seemed more coherent. Now I'm back in the "something ain't right" camp.
  #123  
Old 07-25-2019, 02:20 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I don't know if this was today, and I don't have the full context, but Trump looks and sounds pretty muddled here as he makes remarks at an honor guard review. He stumbles over "lawmakers", then seems to go off in a direction only he understands, rambling about 98 or 90...something

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/...61541103575040

Yesterday I was saying he seemed more coherent. Now I'm back in the "something ain't right" camp.
WHOA! I never listen to him. I don't watch any news on TV, and if he comes on NPR in the car I turn off the radio for 20 seconds or so. I can honestly say I have not heard him speak since the debates with Hillary.

This was way weird.

"Lawmerkers"?? He's speaking very slowly and hesitantly and his voice is a bit scratchy.

Looking at the Twitter comments. It certainly could be xanax.

Another Twitter comment: "And to think, people were questioning Mueller's mental capacity for not being able to remember specifics about his 400+ page report." No kidding.
__________________
"If we're not supposed to dance, why all this music?" Gregory Orr
  #124  
Old 07-25-2019, 02:25 PM
Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 26,285
The 90, 98, or what? thing was about how many votes the new Secretary of Defense got for his confirmation.

I'm not totally sure I am onboard with assuming a neurological condition here. He's not smart, he's a bad public speaker even on his best day, he's slowing down because of his age, and he has serious personality disorders. Those are all major issues, but not the same as dementia or whatever is being implied.
  #125  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,109
He also said something that sounded like "combat infantroopen badge" .

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1154422075345526785

To be fair, he probably just stumbled over "Combat Infantryman Badge", getting his wires crossed with "infantryman", which is not that common a word outside the military, and thinking "troop" belonged in there somewhere.
  #126  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:15 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,339
Wow. How long before the POTUS shits his pants at the podium?
  #127  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,853
Won't matter if he's wearing his Depends.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...6/4KAE9KKM.jpg
  #128  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:44 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,339
No, seriously. I wonder if his people near the podium have a protocol, maybe code named "brown dog" where they've discussed how to handle the misfortune of a presidential anal sphincter breach. It happens to people his age, especially when neurological capacity is declining.

In their shoes, I'm thinking, yell, "gun", then hold your nose and get POTUS to a secure men's.
  #129  
Old 07-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Wow. How long before the POTUS shits his pants at the podium?
He'll blame Obama.

Mitch McConnel, when asked for comment, will go off on a rant about "socialists"

Fox News personalities will do a piece on the lovely scent, color and texture of the Trump feces.
  #130  
Old 07-25-2019, 04:21 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
No, seriously.
I was being serious.
  #131  
Old 07-25-2019, 05:28 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
He'll blame Obama.

Mitch McConnel, when asked for comment, will go off on a rant about "socialists"

Fox News personalities will do a piece on the lovely scent, color and texture of the Trump feces.
Obama did it first! Remember that tan suit? It wasn't tan in the morning! Why was it OK when Obama shit himself but not when Trump does EXACTLY THE SAME THING???
  #132  
Old 07-25-2019, 05:53 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,610
and the latest news: Trump speaks in front of a fake seal that mocks him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49116539

This appears to be a goof by one of his supporters, who pulled the image off the internet without noticing the fakery.
  #133  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:16 AM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,411
Trump's behavior is so bad it's hard for me to think of anyone I've met who acts that way. His behavior is so far out of norm for an adult it's just pathetic.
  #134  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:30 AM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,853
Pathetic would be the right word because if you knew someone IRL who was that far gone you'd feel sorry for him and his family.
  #135  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:57 AM
enipla is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Pathetic would be the right word because if you knew someone IRL who was that far gone you'd feel sorry for him and his family.
Nearly half of the country are cheering this behavior. And it seems the rest of us sit in stunned silence. Like really finding a turd in the punchbowl. It's another abomination every day. Can't keep up with it.

Well, no. Not exactly. I, myself, am stunned that there doesn't seem to be a dam thing we can do about it. Used to be that voting counted. Not so much anymore (doesn't keep me from voting of course).

I do hope the republicans finally get their final Bonnie and Clyde moment. Not with bullets, but with real votes. Bring the whole republican crime spree to a screeching smoking halt. The End.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017