Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Nothing will happen, unless the evidence includes proof that Epstein physically gave Trump large amounts of money or young children, preferably in front of Republican prosecutors.

Last edited by Kent Clark; 07-12-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Hillary was such a bad candidate that she could lose to a guy like Trump with all these stories about him groping women and he even admitted on tape he groped women.
Your observation is as insightful as it is original.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Take a look at the graph on this page:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...ones-6271.html

Looking at that graph, could you perhaps guess when the allegations came out?
It shows even before the allegations came out, Roy Moore was polling much worse than Trump (and Jones better than Hillary). And in the end, the polls only shifted by 4 percentage points. Also note the huge discrepancy between different polls even in the same time period, some polls showed a tie before the allegations came out.

Granted, 4 points shift (if real) would have changed the outcome of the election, so I won't claim it had no effect. I'm just saying the effect is smaller than many people seem to think.

Last edited by scr4; 07-13-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

It may be, though, that Alabama is less flexible than the nation as a whole, with fewer undecideds in the middle who might be swayed (even by something as extreme as statutory rape).
Old 07-13-2019, 10:45 AM

I think it's likely Trump paid for an abortion or two. He probably paid hush money for that as well. If that is proven he might lose a few religious voters.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
I think it's likely Trump paid for an abortion or two. He probably paid hush money for that as well. If that is proven he might lose a few religious voters.
He's broken 9 of 10 commandments, he embodies all seven Deadly Sins, he's on his third marriage and who knows how many extra-marital affairs. They'll find a way to ignore a few abortions.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Some hard core pro lifers would not ignore abortions paid by Trump. They would not vote for the Dem , they would probably stay home.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 07-13-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:07 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

I'll believe when I see it.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

No, because if it happened any longer ago than three days, then he can just say that he repented, and now everything is fine. Heck, he probably wouldn't even need to say it himself; his apologists would say it for him, even if he (as usual) insists that he doesn't need to repent of anything because he is and always has been perfect.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

If Epstein gives info on Trump to get a lighter sentence and there is no corroborating information, Trump supporters won't believe him. It'll be a he said-he said and Epstein was just saying it to get a lighter sentence. And they'd be correct. The guy is a notorious fucking liar and I am not going to pick and choose when he is telling the truth based on my biases.

It'll be interesting if he has real proof. And if he's really the weasel that he is reputed to be, he does.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:07 PM

See post 25 for your answer to the OP.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not to defend Trump, but I think anyone who had an abortion paid for by him would have spoken up in 2016. It's not like he's become more hypocritical in the last three years.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Some hard core pro lifers would not ignore abortions paid by Trump. They would not vote for the Dem , they would probably stay home.
That seems to be what happened in Alabama with Roy Moore. Generally women have a higher turnout than men, but among whites men had a higher turnout than women. I'm guessing some women who would've normally voted republican just stayed home.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.5073ba689138
Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
If Epstein gives info on Trump to get a lighter sentence and there is no corroborating information, Trump supporters won't believe him. It'll be a he said-he said and Epstein was just saying it to get a lighter sentence. And they'd be correct. The guy is a notorious fucking liar and I am not going to pick and choose when he is telling the truth based on my biases.

It'll be interesting if he has real proof. And if he's really the weasel that he is reputed to be, he does.
I donít think Epstein is going to be trading information for a lighter sentence. Heís not young. Even if they go easy on him, itís still going to be an effective life sentence. Plus, it would really look bad for prosecutors if they go easy on Epstein in order to get Trump.

But the people that aided Epstein may very well be in a position to bargain. I agree, their eyewitness recollections would probably be discredited and dismissed by Trumpís base and the Republican establishment.

What possibly might bring him down is some sort of direct photographic evidence, like pictures or camera footage. That is the kind of evidence that might be seized during a search.

If Epstein did have this type of evidence, I wonder if he would try to leverage it into a presidential pardon. He is a sociopath with giant balls, after all. Maybe heíll make Trump fire Betsy Devos and appoint him Secretary of Education. And the Republicans would probably approve it. Drain the Swamp!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:02 PM

Trump may act like an idiot but he is by no means stupid enough to not realize how bad the optics of pardoning Epstein would be. There is absolutely no way in hell he would do that.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Trump can only pardon for Federal crimes. Epstein is being prosecuted by the State of New York.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Trump may act like an idiot but he is by no means stupid enough to not realize how bad the optics of pardoning Epstein would be. There is absolutely no way in hell he would do that.
Hmmm... taking under advisement the phrase "by no means stupid enough" WRT Donnie. That remains to be seen.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Haha. I don't think there is a bottom to Trump's stupidity.

Also even if Epstein is pardoned, NY state will just prosecute him there.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Trump can only pardon for Federal crimes. Epstein is being prosecuted by the State of New York.
He is? I thought SDNY was a federal investigations unit and he was indicted in federal court.

Either way, I'm guessing his crimes can be prosecuted on the state level if he is pardoned. Also recently NY state passed a double jeopardy law allowing prosecutions for state crimes if they are pardoned at the federal level.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/21/72549...rebuke-to-trum

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 07-13-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and
Quote:
Quoth Ambivalid:

As young as these girls were, they were always teenagers. Words mean things. Or at least they're supposed to. Teenage=/ prepubescent.
Yes, words mean things. And "puberty" does not mean a specific number of years. Most people go through puberty in their early teens, but not everyone. The calendar age of his victims might be relevant for determining just what crimes he committed, and what the legal sentences are for them, but they are not relevant for diagnosing his pathology.