Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,543

MAGA people ask "Will you take illegals into your house?"


MAGA people ask "Will you take illegals into your house?"

The government is paying out between $775 to $170 a DAY per person to put the asylum seekers into nasty concentration camps. Paid into the pockets of GOP cronies, of course.

For even the low rate, I'll take two- please*. Maybe more if they will scoop the litter boxes. Food, english lessons, cable TV, and clothes included. For $775 I will get another house or two, thankyouverymuch.

Helping my gardener out on Fridays is nice but optional.

* that's over $10,000 a month.
  #2  
Old 07-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,684
Here's my budget I came up with a while back,when I found out that GOP linked companies were charging $750 per day to look after kids that had been taken away from their parents. The thinking was, that we needed to give these companies MORE money, because the kids had no toothpaste or other necessities, and more money would obviously fix that.

4 kids, one year, $750/day/kid

budget = $1,095,000



Rent of 6 bedroom house in El Paso:
- luxury home in Loretto/Radford
- 6 bedroom, 3.5 bathrooms
- Den, family room, fireplaces
Cul-de-sac close to schools
Fenced back yard with pool, sauna
Kitchen with granite counters, all stainless appliances = $3,000/month, $36,000 total

Salary – me, executive director of child procurement and oversight = $150,000
Assistant director and staff overseer (my spouse) = $75,000
Cook – I don’t like cooking. 20 hours/week @$30/hour = $31,200
Cleaning – I don’t like cleaning. 20 hours/week @$30/hour = $31,200
Gardening/pool maintenance – I will be too busy doing executive time (watching TV). 20 hours/week @$30/hour = $31,200
Nanny – someone needs to actually look after the kids. I’m busy doing… executive things. = $50,000
Nanny can stay in the 6th bedroom with an ensuite.
Psychologist/counselling. Probably a good thing for these kids $200/hour, 3 hours/week/child for one full year = $124,800. A big ticket item, but worth it, I think.

Private school tuition. I think they deserve this, right? $10,000 per child = $40,000

Music lessons, art lessons, swimming lessons.. these things are good for kids. $5,000/kid = $20,000

Platinum family golf club membership at Painted Dunes in El Paso = $2400. Well worth it I say.
Set of clubs for me and spouse = $2400
Set of clubs for all 4 kids = $2000



Furniture for house:
Bedrooms @ $10,000 each = $60,000 Kids will have to make do with just a small TV in each of their private bedrooms
Living room = $15,000
Other rooms = $20,000

Food - average cost in USA is $2641 per person per year, so lets say $5000 = $30,000 including me and spouse.

Clothing, other costs per child = $10,000 each per child = $40,000. We can probably afford soap and toothpaste on that.

Utilities, other monthly incidentals = $2,000/month = $24,000

Cell phones for kids and me $300/month = $3600

Car. I”ll need a 7 passenger Range Rover discovery. = $80,000
Insurance, gas, etc. for car = $15,000

Restaurants Once/week for 5 people@$150 = $7,800

Holiday. Kids should go to Disneyland, right? Hotel and airfare = $7,000 Food = $2,000, Disney tickets = $5000 Souvenirs= $1000 total = $15,000

Christmas and birthday presents for kids = $5,000/kid = $20,000


GRAND TOTAL $929,600


Hmmmm. Better give myself a bonus. $150,000 bonus for doing such a good job.

Total = $ 1,079,600
You know what? I’m under budget. And between my spouse and I, we get to live in a house for free, free meals, and get $375,000 salary.
  #3  
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Here's my budget I came up with a while back,when I found out that GOP linked companies were charging $750 per day to look after kids that had been taken away from their parents. The thinking was, that we needed to give these companies MORE money, because the kids had no toothpaste or other necessities, and more money would obviously fix that.

4 kids, one year, $750/day/kid

budget = $1,095,000



...
Salary – me, executive director of child procurement and oversight = $150,000
Assistant director and staff overseer (my spouse) = $75,000
...

Hmmmm. Better give myself a bonus. $150,000 bonus for doing such a good job.
....
More or less how trumps cronies are doing it, except paying themselves 1,000,000, and expenses- a guy with a gun- 90000. Food, sanitary, tent, etc are about $5000.


Not only are they building concentration camps, but they are over-charging American taxpayers to do it. Even Albert Speer didnt think of that. The GOP is out-Naziing the actual Nazis.
  #4  
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
MAGA people ask "Will you take illegals into your house?"

The government is paying out between $775 to $170 a DAY per person to put the asylum seekers into nasty concentration camps. Paid into the pockets of GOP cronies, of course.

For even the low rate, I'll take two- please*. Maybe more if they will scoop the litter boxes. Food, english lessons, cable TV, and clothes included. For $775 I will get another house or two, thankyouverymuch.

Helping my gardener out on Fridays is nice but optional.

* that's over $10,000 a month.
Hell, I'd do it for the low low rate of $770/day and save the taxpayers $5/day.
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #5  
Old 07-21-2019, 05:43 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Hell, I'd do it for the low low rate of $770/day and save the taxpayers $5/day.
Ha! My budget above already undercut you. I"m at $740/day. That's why I'm worth the $150,000 bonus!
  #6  
Old 07-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
More or less how trumps cronies are doing it, except paying themselves 1,000,000, and expenses- a guy with a gun- 90000. Food, sanitary, tent, etc are about $5000.

Not only are they building concentration camps, but they are over-charging American taxpayers to do it. Even Albert Speer didnt think of that. The GOP is out-Naziing the actual Nazis.
Where Putin improved on the authoritarian model is his understanding that you have to create oligarchs. The oligarchs get wildly rich from the plums handed them by the head of government. They want to remain wildly rich. So they support that head of government with propaganda and muscle, as needed.

The Nazis did ally themselves with the German industrialists of the day, but they clearly didn't go far enough in the oligarch-creation direction.

But the Trump enablers know that spreading the privatization-plums around is the way to stay in power. And they are going at it hammer and tongs.

The idiot taxpayers who support their beloved bully see nothing and wouldn't say anything if they did, of course. They'd lose their bully!
  #7  
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Where Putin improved on the authoritarian model is his understanding that you have to create oligarchs. The oligarchs get wildly rich from the plums handed them by the head of government. They want to remain wildly rich. So they support that head of government with propaganda and muscle, as needed.

The Nazis did ally themselves with the German industrialists of the day, but they clearly didn't go far enough in the oligarch-creation direction.

But the Trump enablers know that spreading the privatization-plums around is the way to stay in power. And they are going at it hammer and tongs.

...
Yep, their noses are deep in the trough, so why would they want to upset it?


It's odd, trump isn't a nazi. He's a super nazi, he's learned from Hitlers mistakes.
  #8  
Old 07-21-2019, 08:39 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
MAGA people ask "Will you take illegals into your house?"
Then I will ask them "Will you take non-aborted babies into your house?"
  #9  
Old 07-21-2019, 08:55 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Then I will ask them "Will you take non-aborted babies into your house?"
MAGAbot: No, because everyone knows fetuses are people and illegals are not.

  #10  
Old 07-22-2019, 04:44 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
I think the question is meant to ask if you will support the “illegals” on your own. They aren’t asking liberals if they will will bilk the hapless taxpayer out of thousands of dollars. That question answers itself.
  #11  
Old 07-22-2019, 04:50 AM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I think the question is meant to ask if you will support the “illegals” on your own. They aren’t asking liberals if they will will bilk the hapless taxpayer out of thousands of dollars. That question answers itself.
But it's perfectly OK for conservatives to do the same, right?
  #12  
Old 07-22-2019, 06:42 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I think the question is meant to ask if you will support the “illegals” on your own. They aren’t asking liberals if they will will bilk the hapless taxpayer out of thousands of dollars. That question answers itself.
Conservatives are more likely than liberals to knowingly employ "illegals", so there's that. It ain't us bringing undocumented workers into the country; we're just saying they should be treated humanely once they're here and that more people who are willing to play by the rules should be allowed to come here and stay here legally, which is a position that until recently was supported by a fair number of Republicans.
  #13  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I think the question is meant to ask if you will support the “illegals” on your own. They aren’t asking liberals if they will will bilk the hapless taxpayer out of thousands of dollars. That question answers itself.
I know this isn't a concept libertarians have an easy time with, but the discussion isn't about how individuals should solve the problem but about how society should approach the situation. Folks who support what our government is doing are 100% supporting a big-government taxpayer-funded solution. Nothing in this situation is libertarian.

Edit: it does point to an alternative question, which is whether the MAGA-hats are willing to jail the immigrants on their own. It's a stupid goddamn question, but so is the one the MAGA-hats are asking of folks who thumbs-down concentration camps.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-22-2019 at 07:20 AM.
  #14  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,261
ISTM that libertarians are being hypocritical in not advocating that people just go where they want. If people from Honduras can find work here, why not (from a libertarian perspective) let them live and work here?
  #15  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
But it's perfectly OK for conservatives to do the same, right?
Is this a serious question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Conservatives are more likely than liberals to knowingly employ "illegals", so there's that.
Of course they are. Conservatives should believe in free markets. Also IME, ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities.

Is this something you have a problem with? I ask because some progressives, like Bernie Sanders, believe open borders is a Koch brothers conspiracy.

Quote:
It ain't us bringing undocumented workers into the country; we're just saying they should be treated humanely once they're here and that more people who are willing to play by the rules should be allowed to come here and stay here legally, which is a position that until recently was supported by a fair number of Republicans.
Yes and some conservatives would like to know if you would put some skin in the game in order for all of these wonderful things to happen to the migrants. That is the genesis of the question of the OP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I know this isn't a concept libertarians have an easy time with, but the discussion isn't about how individuals should solve the problem but about how society should approach the situation. Folks who support what our government is doing are 100% supporting a big-government taxpayer-funded solution. Nothing in this situation is libertarian.
Nobody said anything about liberty, don’t worry. The question posed in the OP was intended to see if progressives are willing to put some skin in the game. No surprise that they are not. In fact, they threw a little tantrum when Trump said he’d send the migrants to sanctuary cities.

Quote:
Edit: it does point to an alternative question, which is whether the MAGA-hats are willing to jail the immigrants on their own. It's a stupid goddamn question, but so is the one the MAGA-hats are asking of folks who thumbs-down concentration camps.
I don’t know about jailing them, but there were some militia out there doing something, but the liberals threw a fit about it.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 07-22-2019 at 07:49 AM.
  #16  
Old 07-22-2019, 07:47 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
ISTM that libertarians are being hypocritical in not advocating that people just go where they want. If people from Honduras can find work here, why not (from a libertarian perspective) let them live and work here?
There are some libertarians who disagree with my open borders position, yes. But it is a little more complex than someone not at all familiar with libertarianism can explain in two sentences.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 07-22-2019 at 07:50 AM.
  #17  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM
guizot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: An East Hollywood dingbat
Posts: 8,648
It's a great excuse for any public servant who screws up. Just point at someone in the general public and tell them to do your job for free.
  #18  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
It's a great excuse for any public servant who screws up. Just point at someone in the general public and tell them to do your job for free.
Except it’s not public servants doing the pointing. In fact, the “public servants” would be out of a job if migrants were supported by civil society and not government.

The migrants would receive better treatment.

The anti-migrant crowd would have much less to complain about.

Liberals would be blessed by their gods for selfless acts.

Seems like a win-win-win.
  #19  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 AM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
it is a little more complex than someone not at all familiar with libertarianism can explain in two sentences.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were "someone not at all familiar with libertarianism." But now that I know that's the case, I'll give you a pass on trying to explain it.
  #20  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities.
...
some progressives, like Bernie Sanders, believe open borders is a Koch brothers conspiracy.
...
Yes and some conservatives would like to know if you would put some skin in the game in order for all of these wonderful things to happen to the migrants.
...
Nobody said anything about liberty, don’t worry. The question posed in the OP was intended to see if progressives are willing to put some skin in the game. No surprise that they are not. In fact, they threw a little tantrum when Trump said he’d send the migrants to sanctuary cities.
...
the liberals threw a fit about it.
You have very stupid ideas about liberals and progressives.
  #21  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Also IME, ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities.
Which ideology, IYE, has the most contact with minorities?
  #22  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
Sure. Absolutely.

Once they begin adopting children born due to their anti-abortion laws.
  #23  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 PM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,345
We'd be happy to help people attempting to relocate. A friend is originally from Mexico, he now owns a restaurant and employs people like himself. We've discussed the current immigration situation with him and have offered to help in any way we can. We have two spare bedrooms, so why not?
  #24  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:14 PM
RTFirefly is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 39,261
The problem doesn't appear to be about places to stay, anyway. The vast majority of those kids imprisoned at the border have family members or friends of the family that are ready to take them in.

What's preventing this, of course, is that the kids are being used as bait in a trap to catch those family members or friends who are undocumented and already have homes here.
  #25  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is offline
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Which ideology, IYE, has the most contact with minorities?
Minority ideologies. Rimshot?
  #26  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
...
Also IME, ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities.

...
I don't know where you're from, but I know where you're not from. The same place as me, the south suburbs of Chicago. Do you wonder how I can tell that?
Let's have a look at a selection of Americans already separated by their ideals: Members of congress. Guess which group is pretty much white guys?
  #27  
Old 07-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 41,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Guess which group is pretty much white guys?
Libertarians?

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-22-2019 at 02:11 PM.
  #28  
Old 07-22-2019, 02:10 PM
DrDeth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 41,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I think the question is meant to ask if you will support the “illegals” on your own. They aren’t asking liberals if they will will bilk the hapless taxpayer out of thousands of dollars. That question answers itself.
Of course, give me $575 per diem per person, and I will do so cheerfully.

Look, Will, you are missing the two points here:

1. The asylum seekers are not illegal aliens. They have come here 100% legally, they should not be detained in hellhole concentration camps, their kids ripped away.

2. If you are gonna detain then, then dont steal money from us taxpayers. Trump cronies are billing us, the American taxpayer, up to $575 a day to keep those people in crappy, cheap conditions. They are ripping us off.

Last edited by DrDeth; 07-22-2019 at 02:11 PM.
  #29  
Old 07-22-2019, 02:22 PM
Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
. Also IME, ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities. .

That's why rural areas with few minorities, and towns like Lumberton TX (94% white) are such hotbeds of liberalism, and why Trump does not do very well in the rural areas of states with little contact with minorities. </sarcasm>

What is the color of the sky in your world?

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 07-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017