Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

MAGA people ask "Will you take illegals into your house?"

The government is paying out between $775 to $170 a DAY per person to put the asylum seekers into nasty concentration camps. Paid into the pockets of GOP cronies, of course.

For even the low rate, I'll take two- please*. Maybe more if they will scoop the litter boxes. Food, english lessons, cable TV, and clothes included. For $775 I will get another house or two, thankyouverymuch.

Helping my gardener out on Fridays is nice but optional.

* that's over $10,000 a month.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:12 PM

Here's my budget I came up with a while back,when I found out that GOP linked companies were charging $750 per day to look after kids that had been taken away from their parents. The thinking was, that we needed to give these companies MORE money, because the kids had no toothpaste or other necessities, and more money would obviously fix that.

4 kids, one year, $750/day/kid

budget = $1,095,000

Rent of 6 bedroom house in El Paso:
- luxury home in Loretto/Radford
- 6 bedroom, 3.5 bathrooms
- Den, family room, fireplaces
Cul-de-sac close to schools
Fenced back yard with pool, sauna
Kitchen with granite counters, all stainless appliances = $3,000/month, $36,000 total

Salary – me, executive director of child procurement and oversight = $150,000
Assistant director and staff overseer (my spouse) = $75,000
Cook – I don’t like cooking. 20 hours/week @$30/hour = $31,200
Cleaning – I don’t like cleaning. 20 hours/week @$30/hour = $31,200
Gardening/pool maintenance – I will be too busy doing executive time (watching TV). 20 hours/week @$30/hour = $31,200
Nanny – someone needs to actually look after the kids. I’m busy doing… executive things. = $50,000
Nanny can stay in the 6th bedroom with an ensuite.
Psychologist/counselling. Probably a good thing for these kids $200/hour, 3 hours/week/child for one full year = $124,800. A big ticket item, but worth it, I think.

Private school tuition. I think they deserve this, right? $10,000 per child = $40,000

Music lessons, art lessons, swimming lessons.. these things are good for kids. $5,000/kid = $20,000

Platinum family golf club membership at Painted Dunes in El Paso = $2400. Well worth it I say.
Set of clubs for me and spouse = $2400
Set of clubs for all 4 kids = $2000

Furniture for house:
Bedrooms @ $10,000 each = $60,000 Kids will have to make do with just a small TV in each of their private bedrooms
Living room = $15,000
Other rooms = $20,000

Food - average cost in USA is $2641 per person per year, so lets say $5000 = $30,000 including me and spouse.

Clothing, other costs per child = $10,000 each per child = $40,000. We can probably afford soap and toothpaste on that.

Utilities, other monthly incidentals = $2,000/month = $24,000

Cell phones for kids and me $300/month = $3600

Car. I”ll need a 7 passenger Range Rover discovery. = $80,000
Insurance, gas, etc. for car = $15,000

Restaurants Once/week for 5 people@$150 = $7,800

Holiday. Kids should go to Disneyland, right? Hotel and airfare = $7,000 Food = $2,000, Disney tickets = $5000 Souvenirs= $1000 total = $15,000

Christmas and birthday presents for kids = $5,000/kid = $20,000

GRAND TOTAL $929,600

Hmmmm. Better give myself a bonus. $150,000 bonus for doing such a good job.

Total = $ 1,079,600
You know what? I’m under budget. And between my spouse and I, we get to live in a house for free, free meals, and get $375,000 salary.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Here's my budget I came up with a while back,when I found out that GOP linked companies were charging $750 per day to look after kids that had been taken away from their parents. The thinking was, that we needed to give these companies MORE money, because the kids had no toothpaste or other necessities, and more money would obviously fix that.

4 kids, one year, $750/day/kid

budget = $1,095,000

Salary – me, executive director of child procurement and oversight = $150,000
Assistant director and staff overseer (my spouse) = $75,000

Hmmmm. Better give myself a bonus. $150,000 bonus for doing such a good job.
More or less how trumps cronies are doing it, except paying themselves 1,000,000, and expenses- a guy with a gun- 90000. Food, sanitary, tent, etc are about $5000.

Not only are they building concentration camps, but they are over-charging American taxpayers to do it. Even Albert Speer didnt think of that. The GOP is out-Naziing the actual Nazis.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post

The government is paying out between $775 to $170 a DAY per person to put the asylum seekers into nasty concentration camps. Paid into the pockets of GOP cronies, of course.

For even the low rate, I'll take two- please*. Maybe more if they will scoop the litter boxes. Food, english lessons, cable TV, and clothes included. For $775 I will get another house or two, thankyouverymuch.

Helping my gardener out on Fridays is nice but optional.

* that's over $10,000 a month.
Hell, I'd do it for the low low rate of $770/day and save the taxpayers $5/day.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Hell, I'd do it for the low low rate of $770/day and save the taxpayers $5/day.
Ha! My budget above already undercut you. I"m at $740/day. That's why I'm worth the $150,000 bonus!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
More or less how trumps cronies are doing it, except paying themselves 1,000,000, and expenses- a guy with a gun- 90000. Food, sanitary, tent, etc are about $5000.

Not only are they building concentration camps, but they are over-charging American taxpayers to do it. Even Albert Speer didnt think of that. The GOP is out-Naziing the actual Nazis.
Where Putin improved on the authoritarian model is his understanding that you have to create oligarchs. The oligarchs get wildly rich from the plums handed them by the head of government. They want to remain wildly rich. So they support that head of government with propaganda and muscle, as needed.

The Nazis did ally themselves with the German industrialists of the day, but they clearly didn't go far enough in the oligarch-creation direction.

But the Trump enablers know that spreading the privatization-plums around is the way to stay in power. And they are going at it hammer and tongs.

The idiot taxpayers who support their beloved bully see nothing and wouldn't say anything if they did, of course. They'd lose their bully!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Where Putin improved on the authoritarian model is his understanding that you have to create oligarchs. The oligarchs get wildly rich from the plums handed them by the head of government. They want to remain wildly rich. So they support that head of government with propaganda and muscle, as needed.

The Nazis did ally themselves with the German industrialists of the day, but they clearly didn't go far enough in the oligarch-creation direction.

But the Trump enablers know that spreading the privatization-plums around is the way to stay in power. And they are going at it hammer and tongs.

Yep, their noses are deep in the trough, so why would they want to upset it?

It's odd, trump isn't a nazi. He's a super nazi, he's learned from Hitlers mistakes.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Then I will ask them "Will you take non-aborted babies into your house?"
Old 07-21-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Then I will ask them "Will you take non-aborted babies into your house?"
MAGAbot: No, because everyone knows fetuses are people and illegals are not.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:44 AM

I think the question is meant to ask if you will support the “illegals” on your own. They aren’t asking liberals if they will will bilk the hapless taxpayer out of thousands of dollars. That question answers itself.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:50 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I think the question is meant to ask if you will support the “illegals” on your own. They aren’t asking liberals if they will will bilk the hapless taxpayer out of thousands of dollars. That question answers itself.
But it's perfectly OK for conservatives to do the same, right?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Conservatives are more likely than liberals to knowingly employ "illegals", so there's that. It ain't us bringing undocumented workers into the country; we're just saying they should be treated humanely once they're here and that more people who are willing to play by the rules should be allowed to come here and stay here legally, which is a position that until recently was supported by a fair number of Republicans.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know this isn't a concept libertarians have an easy time with, but the discussion isn't about how individuals should solve the problem but about how society should approach the situation. Folks who support what our government is doing are 100% supporting a big-government taxpayer-funded solution. Nothing in this situation is libertarian.

Edit: it does point to an alternative question, which is whether the MAGA-hats are willing to jail the immigrants on their own. It's a stupid goddamn question, but so is the one the MAGA-hats are asking of folks who thumbs-down concentration camps.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-22-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

ISTM that libertarians are being hypocritical in not advocating that people just go where they want. If people from Honduras can find work here, why not (from a libertarian perspective) let them live and work here?
Old 07-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
But it's perfectly OK for conservatives to do the same, right?
Is this a serious question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Conservatives are more likely than liberals to knowingly employ "illegals", so there's that.
Of course they are. Conservatives should believe in free markets. Also IME, ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities.

Is this something you have a problem with? I ask because some progressives, like Bernie Sanders, believe open borders is a Koch brothers conspiracy.

Quote:
It ain't us bringing undocumented workers into the country; we're just saying they should be treated humanely once they're here and that more people who are willing to play by the rules should be allowed to come here and stay here legally, which is a position that until recently was supported by a fair number of Republicans.
Yes and some conservatives would like to know if you would put some skin in the game in order for all of these wonderful things to happen to the migrants. That is the genesis of the question of the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I know this isn't a concept libertarians have an easy time with, but the discussion isn't about how individuals should solve the problem but about how society should approach the situation. Folks who support what our government is doing are 100% supporting a big-government taxpayer-funded solution. Nothing in this situation is libertarian.
Nobody said anything about liberty, don’t worry. The question posed in the OP was intended to see if progressives are willing to put some skin in the game. No surprise that they are not. In fact, they threw a little tantrum when Trump said he’d send the migrants to sanctuary cities.

Quote:
Edit: it does point to an alternative question, which is whether the MAGA-hats are willing to jail the immigrants on their own. It's a stupid goddamn question, but so is the one the MAGA-hats are asking of folks who thumbs-down concentration camps.
I don’t know about jailing them, but there were some militia out there doing something, but the liberals threw a fit about it.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 07-22-2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
ISTM that libertarians are being hypocritical in not advocating that people just go where they want. If people from Honduras can find work here, why not (from a libertarian perspective) let them live and work here?
There are some libertarians who disagree with my open borders position, yes. But it is a little more complex than someone not at all familiar with libertarianism can explain in two sentences.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 07-22-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM

It's a great excuse for any public servant who screws up. Just point at someone in the general public and tell them to do your job for free.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
It's a great excuse for any public servant who screws up. Just point at someone in the general public and tell them to do your job for free.
Except it’s not public servants doing the pointing. In fact, the “public servants” would be out of a job if migrants were supported by civil society and not government.

The migrants would receive better treatment.

The anti-migrant crowd would have much less to complain about.

Liberals would be blessed by their gods for selfless acts.

Seems like a win-win-win.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
it is a little more complex than someone not at all familiar with libertarianism can explain in two sentences.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were "someone not at all familiar with libertarianism." But now that I know that's the case, I'll give you a pass on trying to explain it.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities.
some progressives, like Bernie Sanders, believe open borders is a Koch brothers conspiracy.
Yes and some conservatives would like to know if you would put some skin in the game in order for all of these wonderful things to happen to the migrants.
Nobody said anything about liberty, don’t worry. The question posed in the OP was intended to see if progressives are willing to put some skin in the game. No surprise that they are not. In fact, they threw a little tantrum when Trump said he’d send the migrants to sanctuary cities.
the liberals threw a fit about it.
You have very stupid ideas about liberals and progressives.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also IME, ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities.
Which ideology, IYE, has the most contact with minorities?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM

Sure. Absolutely.

Once they begin adopting children born due to their anti-abortion laws.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 PM

We'd be happy to help people attempting to relocate. A friend is originally from Mexico, he now owns a restaurant and employs people like himself. We've discussed the current immigration situation with him and have offered to help in any way we can. We have two spare bedrooms, so why not?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

The problem doesn't appear to be about places to stay, anyway. The vast majority of those kids imprisoned at the border have family members or friends of the family that are ready to take them in.

What's preventing this, of course, is that the kids are being used as bait in a trap to catch those family members or friends who are undocumented and already have homes here.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:17 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Which ideology, IYE, has the most contact with minorities?
Minority ideologies. Rimshot?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Also IME, ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities.

I don't know where you're from, but I know where you're not from. The same place as me, the south suburbs of Chicago. Do you wonder how I can tell that?
Let's have a look at a selection of Americans already separated by their ideals: Members of congress. Guess which group is pretty much white guys?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Guess which group is pretty much white guys?
Libertarians?

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-22-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of course, give me $575 per diem per person, and I will do so cheerfully.

Look, Will, you are missing the two points here:

1. The asylum seekers are not illegal aliens. They have come here 100% legally, they should not be detained in hellhole concentration camps, their kids ripped away.

2. If you are gonna detain then, then dont steal money from us taxpayers. Trump cronies are billing us, the American taxpayer, up to $575 a day to keep those people in crappy, cheap conditions. They are ripping us off.

Last edited by DrDeth; 07-22-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
. Also IME, ideological liberals have very little contact with minorities. .

That's why rural areas with few minorities, and towns like Lumberton TX (94% white) are such hotbeds of liberalism, and why Trump does not do very well in the rural areas of states with little contact with minorities. </sarcasm>

What is the color of the sky in your world?

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 07-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.