Old 11-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
OK, it's not a faggot, but I've always wanted to know what a savory duck is.

Or do they only use caul, like faggots, crepinettes, etc.?
I've got no idea what you're asking
Old 11-12-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
I've got no idea what you're asking
I said. Have no idea what a savory duck is, which implies in these types of posts the question "what is a savory duck."

I then asked a second question as a follow up.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

And that second question makes no sense.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:25 AM

First thing I get when Back in melb. Stab it with a dead horse squeezer and bob's your mother's brother.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And that second question makes no sense.
Why, oh Chronos, now that you have weighed in?

You are clear now, I presume about the antecedent in the second sentence?

I await your reply. If you don't understand all or any of the nouns in that second sentence, that is not my fault as a sensible question poser, particularly in this thread where some of the said nouns and their constituent parts are under discussion.

IOW, a decent clear and cromulent query.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 11-13-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

The only pronoun in the second sentence is "they", for which the implied antecedent is obviously "the people who make savory duck". That's not the confusing part. The confusing part is what caul, faggots, and crepinettes have to do with each other, a confusion which isn't helped by the fact that most people have no idea what caul and crepinettes are, and a lot of people have the wrong idea about what faggots are.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:58 PM

I looked up some words!

Faggots (and "savoury ducks")

Crepinettes (and "caul fat")

Still no clue on "dead horse squeezer", though.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Bloom View Post
I said. Have no idea what a savory duck is, which implies in these types of posts the question "what is a savory duck."

I then asked a second question as a follow up.

I've got no idea what a savory duck is either. I also don't know why you'd drop into a random thread and ask, and why you think it's relevant.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Ooh, I had no idea that faggots could be called "savoury ducks". So I have learned something today.

Tangentially, I had NO idea that faggots were a food until I went to library school in Wales and they appeared on the menu. I expect ye olde traditional home-cooked faggots are different from, and better than, mass-produced ones. Not that the latter are nasty. They're just sort of meatballs in gloopy sauce. The fact that faggots sold in shops are always named "Mr. Brain's Faggots" does strike me as a bit off-putting, somehow.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Duplicate post. Deleted.

Last edited by Celyn; 11-13-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 11-13-2018, 04:45 PM

The best breakfast in the world is a pasty smothered in brown gravy and a few soft fried eggs on top.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
There's a bit of talk here about the "handle" - the crimped edge (crimped around or over the top - depends on the bakery) that was supposedly discarded after eating the filling. I think is a largely discredited theory now - the traditional Cornish way to eat them is end-to-end*, holding in a paper or muslin bag to stop them getting dirty. No point in throwing away good food, it's hard to come by! There's photographic evidence for this from the mid-1800s.

Devon also has pasties, but we don't crow about it so much.

* There's also suggestions that some pasties had meat and potato in one end and apple or pear or some sweet in the other, as a complete meal in one, but I think this is also discredited.
Yes, I share your doubts about discarding the pastry bit. I can see why it might be thought a good idea but as you say, it's food. Doing a physically demanding job, those miners would do well to eat the whole thing.

OK, possibly when you get to the end pastry bits that are quite` dirty, you might want to leave that last bit or give it as an offering to the spirits/gods/whatever, but the pastry is part and parcel of the pasty. Those miners would not be worrying about a low carbohydrate diet, or caring what Gwyneth Paltrow* says.

* also, if they were all cleverly constructing time machines, they probably would choose not to be working down in the mines.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
The best breakfast in the world is a pasty smothered in brown gravy and a few soft fried eggs on top.
If you say so. But you'd have to be very wide awake to eat all that.

And feeling awake at breakfast is just wrong. It's important to be just un-awake enough to go on with the day - dash for the train or bus to a workplace of great misery.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Has the thread discussed Forfar birdies yet?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
Has the thread discussed Forfar birdies yet?
Uh, did you mean Forfar bridies?

ETA: Oh, I get it: "savoury duck", "Forfar birdie". Good one.

Last edited by Kimstu; 11-13-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I'd pull out the scale to make bread. Large amounts of flour are probably the biggest win for using weight rather than volume.

But butter? My butter comes in sticks and the paper wrapper is marked in tablespoons. I just cut it to the right volume and drop the block in. No mashing, weighing, no container, even.

Broccoli? Cilantro? Do people try to measure these with any precision? I'd just chop broccoli until it looked like about the right volume. I hate cilantro, but I "measure" parsley by grabbing a bunch that looks like a good amount. Then i often cut it with scissors into the dish.

Now I'm curious about how people cook.
If I'm making a recipe from a different cuisine or from a particular chef, then I follow their amounts. That way it tastes different from what I normally cook, and more like how they meant it to taste. Gives some variety to my cooking. When I'm telling my kids how to cook something, it's useful to give them some measurements too. When people are inexperienced, they really have no idea how much 'seems right'.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The only pronoun in the second sentence is "they", for which the implied antecedent is obviously "the people who make savory duck". That's not the confusing part. The confusing part is what caul, faggots, and crepinettes have to do with each other, a confusion which isn't helped by the fact that most people have no idea what caul and crepinettes are, and a lot of people have the wrong idea about what faggots are.[underline added]
The antecedent is of course savory duck. Now if you had leapt in to berate me for not writing "savoury duck" I would have understood.

I can't deny that I'm feeling just a tiny bit of pleasure and payback here, for all the "confusing part [to me] is what x,y, and z have to do with each other" which I have encountered and felt in untold posts by you on matters physical.

And in such situations, I, dear Chronos, you whose posted musings I always have enjoyed and will continue to do so, never had the chutzpah to assert that what you wrote made no sense.

Now, I presume, you know what they have to do with each other.

Last edited by Leo Bloom; 11-13-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

So savory ducks use things? I would have thought that they'd mostly be on the passive end of any verb: They get made, they get seasoned, they get cooked, they get eaten.

And if you ever think that anything I write doesn't make sense, please, tell me, that I may clarify.

Last edited by Chronos; 11-13-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Are there any sources for these in Chicago?