View Poll Results: Trump: Do you believe he misspoke, or is he backpedaling?
Trump misspoke and meant to say "Why wouldn't it be Russia?" 3 1.02%
He's backpedaling 280 94.92%
Other 12 4.07%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM

Trump: Do you believe he misspoke, or is he backpedaling?

Are we still doing Trump thread-starter participation trophies? Because I never had a chance to get one until now.

The question is, do you believe Trump when he said he misspoke during his press conference with Putin yesterday, and that he meant to say, "Why wouldn't it be Russia" instead of "Why would it be Russia"? Or, do you think he's backpedaling due to the huge amount of backlash he's getting, even from within his own party?

OK, let's see if I can figure out how to do a poll.

ETA: I voted "He's backpedaling."

Last edited by RitterSport; 07-17-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 PM

He said "would be".He's lying.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 07-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

When he says, “No collusion,” he’s backpedaling, too.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

I might give him a pass on misspeaking once (even though he says he never makes mistakes); however, he not only repeated himself but also praised Godfather Vlad's "incredible offer" to help investigate the matter. If he backpedaled any faster the entity on top of his head would be reabsorbed into his scalp.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 PM

He doesn't know what he's saying, or even what the words that he does say mean. It's all just made up, off the cuff ramblings.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 PM

Trump has repeatedly undercut the findings of his intelligence agencies regarding Russia. Then he has his Putin moment, holds a couple interviews, sends out tweets about it and... thirty hours later suddenly realizes he said the diametric opposite of what he thought he said?

Yeah, no.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-17-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 PM

Really, at this point it's an insult to everyone's intelligence to even ask such a question.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:23 PM

The rest of what he said is completely compatible with “would” and not at all compatible with “wouldn’t.” Another goddamn lie.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:25 PM

The choices should’ve been

1: He’s backpedaling

2: I’m a troll
Old 07-17-2018, 07:26 PM

He's not a very good reader.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 PM

If there was a reverse Tour de France, he would have won it.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 PM

I just flipped to Fox News to see how their spin has evolved. And even Tucker Carlson agreed that not only was he backpedaling, he was di8ng so under some degree of political duress. In fact, Carlson called it the “hostage video”.

But there’s a catch, of course. The new right wing thesis is that Trump has caved to the intelligence agencies, who are all horribly incompetent and always wrong, the epitome of the Deep State. They are all completely corrupt and the reason America stopped being great. It was sort of scary.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf the Unwashed View Post
The rest of what he said is completely compatible with “would” and not at all compatible with “wouldn’t.” Another goddamn lie.
Aye; that and the fact that he repeated it several times over the course of the next 18 hours put paid to that.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

He immediately undercut his own reversal when he said "or it could have been other people". He's incapable of criticizing Russia, even for a second, without walking it back.

My guess is Putin showed him the pee tape during their one-on-one.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Really, at this point it's an insult to everyone's intelligence to even ask such a question.

Sorry about that. Nothing personal.

At least one person chose the misspeaking option, but doesn't seem to have commented.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 PM

I can't wait for people to give up on the incredibly juvenile and salacious "pee tape" references and focus on the fact that Trump is compromised, not how. Because the fact that he's compromised means he no longer fears the tape, if one exists; he fears getting himself and everyone he knows murdered by Putin.

Do you think the Novichok poisonings in the UK, right before Trump visited, were an accident or a random act?

That was a message: Putin can get to Trump and to Trump's family; Trump knows it and knows he can't stop Putin. The only thing he could do that might save his neck would be to admit what was going on and fall back on our government's resources but he can't and won't do that because of both fear and his ego. And because he thinks that there's a scenario that ends with him winning it all and coming out on top (here's the secret tho: there isn't!).

Attempts to remove him will not be successful because Putin also has dirt on way too many Republicans, thanks to the emails he hacked back in 2016 (and ongoing, no doubt) and because many in the GOP likely also see a scenario where they come out on top after things shake out (here's another secret: they won't!). Do you forget that a bunch of Republicans were in Russian for the 4th of July holiday just a couple of weeks ago? What do you think the purpose of that trip was, once you strip away the innocent-sounding language from the description? "A thaw in relations"; "strive for a better relationship"?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-17-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:58 PM

Add that he seemed to be adding a personal comment about it when he spoke, people usually don't mess up such personal comments in this way. Also sayign why wouldn't it be Russia really does not make that much sense in that context.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 PM

He lies and changes stories so much - this is just another example of him lieing.

the excuse - a double negative? fuck that.

What he said at the presser was perfectly inline with EVERYTHING he has said to date - the backpedaling is a bold faced lie.

What hilarious is to watch the 'alt-right' try to keep up with him -earlier today, it was perfectly normal for him to not trust the intelligence agencies, what will tomorrow bring?

Last edited by simster; 07-17-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
He doesn't know what he's saying, or even what the words that he does say mean. It's all just made up, off the cuff ramblings.
This. I don't think he has any idea what he is saying.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
He immediately undercut his own reversal when he said "or it could have been other people". He's incapable of criticizing Russia, even for a second, without walking it back.
This. As this CNN article states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
...In purposely trying to fix the mess he made by suggesting he didn't totally believe his own intelligence community, Trump made the point that he doesn't totally believe his own intelligence community.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 PM

Backpedaling, of course, but in a "Psst, Vlad, I still love ya! I'm just saying this to shut my opponents up!" kind of way.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

There is no sane way anyone can think anything but "backpedalling" when given the context. I mean, come on.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:13 PM

As I write, 67 votes have been cast. One has been for "Trump misspoke". I'd like to hear from that person.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He immediately undercut his own reversal when he said "or it could have been other people".
This made the backpedal into a 360 turn...

Last edited by jasg; 07-17-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What this brought to memory was the "good people on both sides" nonsense from last year, where again at some point he seemed to be coming around but then could not help himself.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:02 PM

is he really stupid enough that he thinks we believe him?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The rest of what he said is completely compatible with “would” and not at all compatible with “wouldn’t.”
+1

Given the bonhominie of the post summit press conference, call it a bromance if you like and the spin is that Trump really meant to say was "Vladimir, Russia interfered in the 2016 US election process which questions the legitimacy of my Presidency"?

If Trump had said that, or anything approximating that, the expectation was that Putin would have just shrugged it off? "Comrade, don't those Americanos say the darnedest things, nyet"?

That Trump, if his intension was to accuse Russia of meddling in elections, would have just gone off script and bounced the accusation at Putin at the post summit press conference? My incredulity chip is on the blink.

If he had raised the matter in those terms during the summit (which I suspect he didn't) is there any doubt Putin would have strongly denied the accusation and been insistent that the subject not be raised? That consequently stonewalling the inevitable question been the only appropriate answer? Trump would consider reviving the Cold War at a joint press conference?

No.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

He is so starstruck he didn't know what the **** he was saying.

He's backpedaling frantically because the G.O.P., to the last, informed him as he flew back to the States on AF1, that he has just cost almost all of them their seats in November.

Clearly not his goal, so he's backpedaling and frantically blaming others.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 PM

I voted “backpedaling”, but really “flailing” is a better word for it.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 PM

He didn't misspeak and he hasn't changed his mind. This is a pathetic attempt at damage control. I'm as convinced he's not a Russian asset as I am he's not a Nazi sympathizer.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 PM

I have never seen such unanimity on the Dope.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
As I write, 67 votes have been cast. One has been for "Trump misspoke". I'd like to hear from that person.
Perhaps they misclicked?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StusBlues View Post
I have never seen such unanimity on the Dope.
You usually only see it from intelligence agencies agreeing that Russia attacked our elections to help steer the outcome.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-18-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:18 AM

The only way to believe that he misspoke is to take that one sentence and isolate it from literally everything else he's ever said on the topic, going back to 2016.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
This. I don't think he has any idea what he is saying.
Yeah.

First, he read off a script the Russians handed him.

Then, he read off a script his advisors hastily put together to run damage control.

He didn't care, or even understand, what the scripts said. Only that they'd get him headpats.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:08 AM

Since he became a serious prospect in the primary campaign it seemed clear to me that he doesn't really know what he wants to say until he's opened his mouth and heard what comes out.

BTW the second set of novichok casualties does look like an accident: completely random people picked up a discarded bottle that had the stuff in. Doesn't say much for local street cleaning that it must have been there for weeks, but cuts in public expenditure have hit local government hard.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
The choices should’ve been

1: He’s backpedaling

2: I’m a troll
Or just unfathomably stupid and uninterested in politics.

Whoever the one person is who voted "he misspoke" should read the fucking transcript. "Wouldn't" makes no fucking sense in context. It's like if I write a hate-filled, angry screed to my girlfriend making it clear that I dump her, and then say, "No, I misspoke, I didn't mean "I want to kill you", I mean "I want to kiss you".

(Also, I'm saying this after having gone on live TV and repeated the same remarks, and only doing so after widespread blowback, including from within my own party and my own personal propaganda network.)

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 07-18-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 AM

"Misspeak" is a special word because it was famously used as a euphemism for lying. "I misspoke" usually means "I lied and I'm trying to cover it up". There are simpler and more ordinary ways to say "used the wrong word". Like "used the wrong word".

I'm not the one who clicked misspoke, but I can see why they did it.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
... I'm as convinced he's not a Russian asset as I am he's not a Nazi sympathizer.
The president can't be a "sympathizer". Politics is his job. If he sympathizes with them, he is one.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Whoever the one person is who voted "he misspoke" should read the fucking transcript. "Wouldn't" makes no fucking sense in context.
Since when has that ever bothered Trump?
Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
This is simply to give Trump a pass that a child wouldn't deserve. He's a grown man who is protecting Russia. He spoke with intention initially, he knew what he was saying. He knew what the words meant. He threw the DOJ under the bus to protect himself and Russia. Consciously.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
As I write, 67 votes have been cast. One has been for "Trump misspoke".
There's one in every cloud. Er, crowd.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
This is simply to give Trump a pass that a child wouldn't deserve. He's a grown man who is protecting Russia. He spoke with intention initially, he knew what he was saying. He knew what the words meant. He threw the DOJ under the bus to protect himself and Russia. Consciously.
This is not to give him a pass. It's not "Oh, it's okay because he doesn't know what he is saying", it's "He doesn't know what he is saying, so pretty much disregard anything he says. It's all just crap"
Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM

I told my little boy yesterday that, as he was away with school for a few days, I wouldn't take his sister to see Incredibles 2 until he came back.
This morning, just before he goes I told him that I misspoke and meant to say that I wouldn't not take her.

He didn't buy it and he's a child.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:03 AM

He read a hostage video statement and could not contain himself by adding "it could have been other people" to it. I voted "other" because it was forced upon him and he didn't mean one word he said. He showed his real character in Helsinki, this was just a hope that changing one word gets him off the hook.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

If that were the only statement he made at the news conference, then it could be a slip of the tongue.

Trouble was, he said many more things that indicated he didn't think Putin was behind it.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 AM
born to be shunned

Backpedaling. To me the only other possible explanation would be a Freudian Slip of some kind.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's my take. Plus, this isn't the first time he's said something similar.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 AM

I think it's very obvious he's backpedaling. I think he knows there's meddling, but I don't think he wants to accuse Putin to his face, with accompanying footage. I also don't think he expected Republicans to criticize him so hard.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:48 AM

He's full of shit. You can tell he's full of shit during his "clarification" and the entire GOP is craven for using it as cover.