Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Another fine Fogust morning here. As the TV weather guy calls it, Stratus Quo. Cool and murky will soon give way to sunny and warm, and the cycle repeats tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Shifty...
I second Shifty...
Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I like George - it was my first thought.

Nearly out of work again, I think. I need to dig thru the crap on my desk.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:32 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:

Ruble, saw your shouting over the weekend about a long run.
But do they have beer and encourage bad habits?????? No????? Then it looks like Doz Hoosiers got sumptin on those Philthydelphians!

Was already at Da Jungle working basically off the clock ------- again. I know they are counting on us peasants to sign up for extra shifts but that lovely creation of Hells Relations called the Hub is blocking everyone at our site from doing so. Been like that for a couple days now. No-one --- not one person as far as I can tell --- bothered telling TPTB. And like everything else this week "we're working on it". I clued in the Building Boss and he's on the task. But I got a feeling mostly he is going to feel our pain and frustration. But what the heck -- Dad always taught me to share.

Now I get to head back and do something nice on the clock.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I have completed laundry. I also completed puttin' new shelf paper on the pantry shelves and now have an almost organized pantry. In addition I put new shelf paper in the cabinet where the spices are stored. doggio will be pleased to know the spices are not nearly as willy-nilly arranged as they were.

We could go with Shifty George.

Midget yay for sleepin' better!

{{{Juliet}}} if you can't deal, you can't deal and Romeo should understand that.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

What's with "Shifty" and "George"? I must have missed a staff meeting.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:53 PM

The sky is as dark as it is at this point on a late Dec day. It's scaaaary looking out there. Coupled w/ a fluorescent bulb in the hallway that's flickering & really looks like lightning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
But do they have beer and encourage bad habits??????
The race event concept was you paid your entry fee, which included one (or two?) beers (& was held at a multi-bar facility so you could buy more), t-shirt, race bib, finisher's medal, & results. Given the distance was 0.0 miles, your first step was also your last step. Everyone got the same "time" of 1 second & therefore the 'race' & age group winners were determined by random drawing. So yes, they had beer & encouraged bad habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
What's with "Shifty" and "George"? I must have missed a staff meeting.
Define 'missed'. Can one miss something if they were (intentionally) left off the invite list?
  • Karma Chameleon - a song by Boy George* & Culture Club, hence "George"
  • Chameleons change or shift colors, hence "Shifty"

* singer of the best call-&-response singalong song evah:

BG: Do you really want to hurt me?
Crowd: YES!
BG: Do you really want to make me cry?
Crowd: YES!

Hey, he asked.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:58 PM

Flytrap, we have a new mumper, CharmaChameleon. We are attempting to tumble for them and come up with a new nickname because we don't really wanna hurt them by not bestowing a moniker. I fear that if they left, we might miss them blind, so we're discussing a new nickname. BTW, I can get behind George.

I'm going to tell Romeo that he can take the kids over if he wants; I'm going to stay home and decompress. I'll go over other nights, but I'm not doing every night for two weeks straight when I'm feeling this shitty. If I had the flu, he wouldn't expect me to go every night; I'm sick and I can't do it.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 PM

Dishwasher is washing.
I sat outside with Ripple and he kept stealing my shoes of my feet and running off with them. He brings them back so I can put them back on and he can steal them again.
He thinks that is a great game. I'm fine with it except sometimes he bites a bit too hard on my toes, but as long as he brings my shoes back and doesn't drop them somewhere in the yard I am cool with it.
We had a bit of a thunderboomer, fortunately he doesn't care about the noise and just keeps on playing.
I'm making tacos for my son, I don't know what I am having yet. Maybe I'll eat a taco and save the other pound of ground beef to make something tomorrow.
I feel so lazy today.
I guess I should start making a grocery list, and today is trim Ripple's toe nails day. I should wash a load of towels but they can wait until tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:19 PM

Temperature according to Weather Underground is at 32 degC, and 76% RH, yielding a "feels like" of 44 degC. Somehow that "seems" cooler than 111 degF.

It turns out I do have something on the docket for today--vote in the primary runoff! Looking at the fact there are no local or federal races, only state-wide, on the ballot, I'm tempted to just blow it off. However, that would break my 100% participation record in all elections I have been eligible for since November, 1972, and that's just not something I'm happy to do. It's only about 6km to my precinct, so I'll wait until the rush hour madness on US-72/I-565 has diminished somewhat. It might be a little cooler by then, too.

I hate Alabama politics. Even so, I almost always have a reason to vote against someone or something.

Peace!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:31 PM

So, it seems there is always "culture" to learn about on here. The one I'm thinking about is the use of a "moniker" on this particular board, in addition to a username. Some have suggested George, playing off a reference to the Culture Club song, "Karma Chameleon".

Possibly it's because of my (hopefully) early dotage, but I had associated the song with Paul McCartney and Wings. My bad, I suppose.

"It ain't no thang, to me." Call me whatever you want. "I am but an egg." (Semi-obligatory Robert A Heinlein reference.)
Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! We have supped. There looks to be a tstorm brewin'. Chillage ensues.

George/Shifty I, too, have voted in every election since November of 1972. Go Us! I'm in Jawja and our politics are just as stoopid so don't feel alone. Also, I always say, call me anything but late to supper.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmaChameleon View Post
{snip}...It's only about 6km to my precinct, so I'll wait until the rush hour madness on US-72/I-565 has diminished somewhat. It might be a little cooler by then, too.
Hey neighbor! Another North Ali-bamian here.

Quote:
I hate Alabama politics. Even so, I almost always have a reason to vote against someone or something.
I usually vote, but normally it's Democratic and there was only one race on the ballot, so I passed on it until November.

Shifty George, everybody who joins our little community gets assigned a name; they don't get to vote on it. We're quirky that way...

Did get some rain this afternoon, but temps will be going back up soon enough. Dinner (Mac-n-Cheese) has been consumed and chillage will ensue.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 07-17-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:19 PM

{{{Juliet}}}

I vote for George as your moniker. I'm of a certain age that had this as part of the soundtrack of my youth.

I made headway on the area that in need of damage control today. I may actually have it done by month end.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Well, the rest of you can do what you want, I will name him George!!

We went to a local pub for supper and I's stuffded. We got a downpour, which we needed. All in all, life is quiet tonight. C'mon Firday!!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Well, the rest of you can do what you want, I will name him George!!
"Oh sure, I know I'm a louse, but I'm a live louse."
Perhaps I shall grow up to be Daffy Duck instead of Rat.
But I digress.
One of my instructors in undergraduate engineering school for mechanics of materials, was a Hungarian guy named Kovacs. If you can imagine Bela Lugosi saying, "The normal distribution of a beam, supported at it's ends and loaded at the centroid is...I never drink...wine." you've got at idea of how he spoke. Some course was taught in the same class room where students surveyed. There were two or three tubs of wooden survey stakes scattered around.
I always sat by one of those.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:19 PM

We have a heavy downpour now.
Ripple went out and made it about three steps and came charging back into the house. Now he is wired. I called Adam to come in but he is probably holed up somewhere staying dry. I don't know where though, the deck and porch are both soaked.

The cable just came back on.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 PM

So, if I end up being George, meh. (I'd prefer something like OnceACodeMonkey or GrandHighPanjandrum, but okay.

Voted. My precinct has 2300 registered, but at 1810 (6:10PM civilian time) mine was ballot #205.

I got in a conversation with a poll worker about primary runoffs and how they can be quite critical. She didn't remember the 1986 Alabama primary runoff, which became quite contentious due to what was called "cross-over voting", wherein supposedly (I have no certain knowledge of it happening) an awful lot of Republican primary voters cast ballots for Charlie Graddick (incumbent Attorney General) versus Bill Baxley (incumbent Lieutenant Governor) in the Democratic runoff. Graddick won the runoff (by 0.94%), but Baxley's people protested and the State Supreme Court ordered the Alabama Democratic Party to award the nomination to Baxley. The award was perfectly legal, of course, but it angered an awful lot of people.

The outcome of the controversy was the election of Guy Hunt (Republican) in the general, likely by virtue of a whole bunch of Graddick supporters voting for Hunt, who was the first R governor in Alabama since 1874. At the time (and maybe still today), Democrats who voted in the primary signed something like a "loyalty oath" wherein they promised to support the party's nominee in the general election, so I'm still unclear as to why the outcome was not challenged more strongly than it was. (By the way, again to my knowledge, Republican primary voters in Alabama have never been required to sign that kind of "loyalty oath".)

Oddly though, today I was handed a slip by the intake worker after my photo ID was scanned and accepted. This slip, annotated "REPUBLICAN", was the token by which the next poll workers knew which ballot to give me. It has been my recollection that in the past a worker would ask me which ballot I wanted in both the primary and the runoff; I never "crossed over" or tried to, simply because, you know... The party identification slip was the reason the worker and I went over this history, as she said she had no memory of that 1986 dustup.

By the way, in that same general election, Alabama voters elected Democrat Richard Shelby to replace Republican Jeremiah Denton in the US Senate. Denton was elected in 1980, the first R Senator from Alabama since 1879. (Shelby switched to the Republican Party in 1994.) As I said, I hate Alabama politics.

Last edited by CharmaChameleon; 07-17-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
I vote for George as your moniker. I'm of a certain age that had this as part of the soundtrack of my youth.
Which is why I like Shifty.

Quote:
So, if I end up being George, meh. (I'd prefer something like OnceACodeMonkey or
Like call signs of military pilots, names are thrust upon you; you shall have no say in what you are called.

Shifty, whence you from? You use lots of them thar metric calcumalations for someone from Alibamy. (Yes, the preceding sentence has every word spelt correctly!)

The line of rain/t-boomers came thru this afternoon. The biiiiggg softball game was cxl'd. It's s'posed to be cooler & less hoomid but there wasn't a dry spot left on my shirt after running. Wicking material shouldn't need to be rung out after only threeish miles, but I did it then, & then at the end, too.

Now to go make dinner (which consists of reheating the steak I cooked this morning) & plopping my butt down in front of the All-Star game.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 PM

Just for the record, I posted a bunch of my China vacation pictures over on Facebook. Many of you already are friends there; if you want to see them, drop me a note and I'll PM you the info (rather not give in out randomly).

Not the greatest photographer but I got a few good ones there.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

A thunderstorm here in North Little Rock, Arkansas.
Penny the dog is curled up around me on the couch.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:30 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:

The race event concept was you paid your entry fee, which included one (or two?) beers (& was held at a multi-bar facility so you could buy more), t-shirt, race bib, finisher's medal, & results. Given the distance was 0.0 miles, your first step was also your last step. Everyone got the same "time" of 1 second & therefore the 'race' & age group winners were determined by random drawing. So yes, they had beer & encouraged bad habits.
Well, I probably have enough old short-packs of Camels left from the c-rations ( ) to do both events so ---------- I may just seriously consider it.

Quote:
Possibly it's because of my (hopefully) early dotage, but I had associated the song with Paul McCartney and Wings. My bad, I suppose.
That made me think of Simargl or Linda. Actually now that I think of it, they both qualify.

(What? Too soon even now?)

Quote:
So, if I end up being George, meh. (I'd prefer something like OnceACodeMonkey or GrandHighPanjandrum, but okay.
Mumper tradition is that your Mumper Name is a spin-off of your Dope name.

Except for Plant.

Him you can call almost anything you want just like the rest of us.

Just as I was heading for the garage to get the Sportie and head for irk, the skies opened up in buckets. So I went car. The early leaders seem to be heavy freaking office chairs and dumb-bells. Not the bosses ------- the actually useful ones people use to ------------- basically do what I'm getting paid to do. Lift a lot of weights.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 PM

Darn. A few nights ago, I tried out Valerian pills for insomnia. They worked okay, but now I'm reading online that there isn't much evidence they actually work. Bummer. Way to ruin the placebo effect, Wikipedia!
Plus, the pills smell like dirty feet. Might try them again anyway, I don't know.

At least it's a bit cooler tonight, and the renovators haven't been making much noise early in the morning these past few days.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 PM

Yo, Spiderman--Where am I from? Born right here (140km away or so) in Lauderdale County, Alabama. Fifty years ago all of our speed limit signs here in "Rocket City" were round "km/h" and a small rectangular sign underneath gave an approximation in "MPH". I liked that, except that speedometers were mostly marked in British units. Metric always made it seem I was going faster, and also made temperatures seem more livable, at least down to -40 degC/-40 degF. I've got conversion matters in my head, so it's no problem until I go to the oil change place and they want an "exact" mileage for the "km" showing on my odometer. Kilometers to miles? Or the other way around? Deg C to Deg F, same kind of thing. When everyone else is saying it's 104 degrees, I just say, "Oh, that's 40. Cool."
Old 07-18-2018, 04:17 AM

What's 'British Units'? Speaking as one of the token Mumper Brits, we use an unholy mix of units- for example the walk I went on yesterday has distance markers, first one saying [Town A] 6m, second, pointing back the way I just came, [Town B] 2km. We've been 'switching to metric' since before I was born. It does mean we're all pretty decent at approximate conversions too though. I'm beginning to suspect that's what they're actually going for now.

Volunteer organisation attempt #2 today; the guy who messaged me said drop by any time to discuss it, but forgot to mention his days off. I guessed wrong.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Off to work.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 75 Amurrkin out and cloudy with a predicted high of 91 mostly cloudy and a chance of rain/tstorms/apocalypse this afternoon. Today is lay in provisions day. I also get to go rescue the ridin' mower from the shop where it's been for service since Firday. I could have gotten it late yestiddy afternoon but didn't. The Pubic Sto' has a good price on shrimpies so we shall sup upon shrimpies 'n grits and whatever vegetative matter I decide on whilst shoppin'. I shall also continue with the linin' of kitchen cabinets with new shelf paper. Might even get the laundry room cabinets done as well. All that should be enough to keep me out of trouble and off the streets today, well, except for the fact that I do have to be on the streets to rescue mower and lay in provisions.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then, bein' as I do have to be on the streets for a while, I suppose I should purtify and put on appropriate adult goin' out in public attire. Such a bother!

Happy Hump Day Y'all!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I think everyone waited till I left last night to dump a bunch of crap on my desk and chair. I'm pretty sure I've sorted it all out, so there's that.

Nothing exciting planned for today - I just hope I have enough to fill my work hours.

Maybe I'll be coherent soon. Happy Wednesday!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:52 AM

Happy Hump Day!

It's a cool and clear 62 degrees outside, supposed to get up to a N.O.S. 86 today.

I only woke once last night, damn bladder, and managed to fall back asleep until the alarm woke me this morning.

I'm debating picking up Ripple's pills today or tomorrow, and we have to get groceries Firday. Ripple will be excited that he gets to go for a ride.

I have to call about the land line phone acting up again, it cuts out in the middle of calls. I'm using my cell for irk this morning and hopefully it will behave itsself. It often sends calls to VM after half a ring.
So my morning is already getting on my nerves.

Shrimp sans grits will be my dinner tonight, my picky son will be fed by Hungry Man. My shrimp will be cooked in olive oil and butter with garlic, green peppers, onions, and a splash of lemon.

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 07-18-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
I suppose I should purtify and put on appropriate adult goin' out in public attire. Such a bother!
Does that mean just a red shirt?
(It seems that certain bears can get away with that.)

Caleb stopped by to sa, "Hi" & remind us of what day it is.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:41 AM

Last night we had perfect sleeping weather; it got down to 51, so with the windows open and some cross breezes, the house cooled off nicely.

But I'm back at work. Another day, another dollar. I'm working another 10 hour shift, so it's going to be a long one. 10 today, 10 tomorrow, then off on Friday. I struck a deal with Romeo; I'll come in really early to start my 10 hour day tomorrow so I can be home in time to go to his family's for dinner, then we'll have dinner with them Friday and spend pretty much the whole weekend with them. It's going to be a lot for me, but his brother and SIL only come up to visit every year-and-a-half or so.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:46 AM

Morning. My remodeling contractor is dropping by this afternoon so I can sign the paperwork and we can get started. I'll also need to start cutting checks for him...

75F heading for 90F and no rain in the forecast. Another good day to stay inside and read.

Need to break fast soon. BLT's sound nice.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:12 AM
born to be shunned

Awake and adulting. The OW is having a root canal shortly and has the day off but since she may be a little sore her plans are to just kick back once she returns.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I have procured groceries, retrieved the mower, and everything is put where it stays when not in use. I's tahrd already! Plus it's hawt and hyoooooooomid out. It looks like a storm could be brewin' toward the southwest. Come on, I say! I shall now chill for a bit and then get busy on the kitchen cabinets. Really. I will. Soon. Or sometime or other.

Ruble sounds like the OW has formulated the right plan followin' a root canal.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 AM

It was cooler last night. I didn't even need to have the fan on.
Looks like I might get stuff accomplished today.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:51 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I did something this morning - not exactly sure what, but I royally screwed up a model and the model in which it was installed. Josh is doing surgery on it so I can finish the drawing... I hope...

Not a productive day.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 AM

Howdy, Hope y'all haven't forgot old Butters. So busy, have not read but will eventually.

Rosie's sig and Swampy's too.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup Smith View Post
Howdy, Hope y'all haven't forgot old Butters.
Who?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:48 PM

I remember you Butters, you're the one who wears the good perfume.

One of my insurance companies sent me a wall calendar this year. This month's overleaf has 'Mobility Tips For Seniors'. Apparently the biggie tip is 'Don't fall down'.

Personally, I don't care what you call that shifty character, I won't remember it anyway.

Went to sleep around midnight last night and was rudely awakened by my bladder around 4:30. Climbing out of bed woke up the little dog, who woke up the big dog, so we all had to go pee. It's quite a production. Went right back to sleep for a change though, and slept until about 8:30, so feeling pretty good this morning.

Need to go to the post office today, and then the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. Should get some eggs while I'm out and about as well. My life is so exciting!

Maybe I'll make a batch of soap this afternoon, unless Wifey thinks of something else for me to be doing.

Onward!
Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Heya, Butters! How's life in Paradise??

After an initial rush, I'm just about out of work again. I think the last thing I'll do today is send out an email looking for work. I do have a little more I can do today, but my motivation is pretty close to gone.

I'm rasslin' with a decision. There's a chance that my daughter will be able to work for FCD from home, so she can take care of Roxy and I can keep working. When I originally took this job, it was my intention to re-retire in Dec 2018, since I hit the big 65 the next month. My dilemma - if I don't become full-time day care, do I keep working? Full time? Part time? On demand? Or do I just re-retire and potentially turn into a slug?

I like what I do, but I honestly don't know how much longer I want to do it. Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM

Hey Buttters!

I was wondering where you were.

Ripple is miffed at me. I fell asleep, an almost three hour nap, and didn't wake up when he brought me the mail. He wants his treat, and he is refusing to bring me the rest of the mail.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:52 PM

I'm sad now. I've been watching some kittens on a rescue kitten cam, and they were taken to the vet today, and one of them had to be put to sleep. At least the others are healthy for now.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Or do I just re-retire and potentially turn into a slug?
I vote for slug.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:26 PM

*waves at Butters*

Moommm, I opt for slug, too. They get to live in the garden with the pretty flowers.

It is too freaking gorgeous out today. And I'm at my desk, grammar checking.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:02 PM

Well, I signed on the dotted line and the first thing I was told is that I have to move out of my bedroom. Since it;s located between the Kitchen and Master bathroom there is going to be much tromping about and work being done so...spare room here I come. Also need to have checks each week or every other week, so moved money from my savings to a checking account at the Credit Union to simplify matters. Going to be an interesting couple of months...

Bought boxes and tape for the stuff that needs to be relocated from the kitchen and bathroom and think it would be wise to write and leave a note for my neighbors since there's likely to be some extra vehicles around here for awhile.

Other than that, been slothful as it's 93F outside.

Mooooomm, if your worried about being a slug, find something part-time to do or become a volunteer for something. But slughood works just fine for me...

Butters!! Good to hear from you. Ready for the hurricane season? *Ducks thrown waffle iron*

Midget,

Bumba, presumably the three of you didn't all pee in the same place...

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 07-18-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:05 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

The reason I'm reluctant to throw in the towel completely is that I retired once before. I made it almost 2 years before I was bored out of my tree. I missed the mental challenge of work - playing Happy Homemaker just doesn't do it for me. That's why I'm kinda leaning towards part time.

Plus I just looked on the Social Security site - my full retirement age is 66, not 65, so my earnings are subject to penalties of $1 for every $2 earned over something like $17K. Nothing like adding a complication to my decision.

MetalMouse - I know about your coaching and refereeing - that doesn't count as being a slug!

Last edited by FairyChatMom; 07-18-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

We supped upon shrimpies 'n grits, steamed broccoli, and rolls. YUM! Plus there's ice cream for later. Life be good!

GrandMOOOOOOM I vote for slug as well. Just think you can turn your yahd into the neighborhood paradise and then sit out there and yell at the neighbor kids to keep off'n your lawn! Plus life presents itself with a lot of stuff to do volunteer wise should one desire. I do stuff outside of da cave but am for the most part content with takin' care of the place and bein' home. I could find a part-time job should I desire but so far there has been no desire.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:51 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Of course, there's the added issue of having housemates, and the additional expenses that entails. They should be able to kick in some day... I hope...
Old 07-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
GrandMOOOOOOM I vote for slug as well. Just think you can turn your yahd into the neighborhood paradise and then sit out there and yell at the neighbor kids to keep off'n your lawn!
Get one of the "Bugasalt" guns and shoot salt at the little buggers.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:21 PM

You know that counts as ass-salt in some jurisdictions?