Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 PM
BANNED

Unclear moderation: HOW am I being a jerk? Moderation based on rules or mob opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
SamuelA - most of your posts in this thread are pretty objectionable, and go far beyond the statement that spawned this thread. Plus, you seem more interested in having a Ford/Kavanaugh discussion rather than one about the board or moderation. While that is the underlying subject of the comment in question, this isn't the place to rehash that bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Other posters in this thread have expressed opinions that Ford cannot be blamed in any way for telling her story and there is no evidence that she isn't being truthful.

I am just pointing out that her story, whether or not it is based in truth, is a verbal assault intended to cause severe harm. And it's rather suspicious how 1 sided it is. Like how every victim of a fight in the E.R. was always minding their own business when 2 guys come out of nowhere and attack. Is every assault victim lying? No, but most probably are.

My point was to say that HD has a legitimate point of viewing informing his post and that Ford purposefully attacked kavanaugh with the intent of causing harm. The death threats (both aimed at her and kavanaugh) are a forseeable consequence of her actions.
In the quoted post, I am expressing an opinion. It may be an unpopular opinion, but that in itself does not, in my book, rise to "jerk-ness".

What test could a neutral observer apply to determine that this post is "jerky" and not simply "unpopular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone;
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.
Cool. So which rule is being violated? Which words violate the rule? How?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Cool. So which rule is being violated? Which words violate the rule? How?
You assumed that assault victims are probably lying, then you connected that to sexual assault victims. That's about as far as I can go without junior modding or getting modded myself.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What test could a neutral observer apply to determine that this post is "jerky" and not simply "unpopular?
There is no test. If you're so out of tune with what's considered jerky behavior--a term deliberately left vague in the rules--I recommend a different community.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
There is no test. If you're so out of tune with what's considered jerky behavior--a term deliberately left vague in the rules--I recommend a different community.
See, this is a post that I consider "jerk-ish". You personally insult me by claiming I would be unable to understand any rule you give, and suggest I leave the board.

Also this post is personally aimed at me.

I'm not going to report this post, but do you see how you have been a jerk?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
See, this is a post that I consider "jerk-ish". You personally insult me by claiming I would be unable to understand any rule you give, and suggest I leave the board.

Also this post is personally aimed at me.

I'm not going to report this post, but do you see how you have been a jerk?
So you turn around and do the exact same thing you're accusing LHod of.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
You assumed that assault victims are probably lying, then you connected that to sexual assault victims.
Assault victims, in inner city ERs, who claim to have been jumped by 2 or more guys who claim to have done nothing, are usually lying.

Sexual assault victims who wait 37 years to come forward and happen to have a story that is corroborated by nobody and is maximally damaging sounds like a lie. It also sounds improbable to be the truth - human memory is crap even in the short term.

There are physical assault victims from inner city suburbs who in fact were doing nothing and were attacked, and sexual assault victims who are telling the actual truth and not a one-sided version of it...but both are unlikely.

But anyways this is just my well developed opinion based on experience in ERs and dealing with liars. I guess I can't express it.

Last edited by SamuelA; 11-20-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Sexual assault victims who wait 37 years to come forward and happen to have a story that is corroborated by nobody and is maximally damaging sounds like a lie. It also sounds improbable to be the truth - human memory is crap even in the short term.
And there you go again.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And there you go again.
Expressing an opinion is "there you go again"? That's what I think. Just elaborating in more detail.

Quote:
So you turn around and do the exact same thing you're accusing LHod of.
Do what? I point out how LHod is being a jerk. How is this also being a jerk?

Last edited by SamuelA; 11-20-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Assault victims, in inner city ERs, who claim to have been jumped by 2 or more guys who claim to have done nothing, are usually lying.

There are physical assault victims from inner city suburbs who in fact were doing nothing and were attacked, and sexual assault victims who are telling the actual truth and not a one-sided version of it...but both are unlikely.

But anyways this is just my well developed opinion based on experience in ERs and dealing with liars. I guess I can't express it.
In our country, it is not at all unbelievable that someone would wait 37 years before coming forward, because the reaction you demonstrated discourages women from coming forward. This is a huge problem today, and was even bigger 37 years ago. Only one in three rapes is ever reported, by the most generous estimates.

Ignoring all of this and declaring these women to be liars IS jerkish.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Shouldn't you quote your post that earned you the first warning for being a jerk?

Quote:
How about we go a step further. Unless we have an equal representation of all races and genders this means the mod pool is biased. Let's actively discriminate against mod applicants who are of over represented races and genders in favor of minorities and women. Who we should lower the bar for
IMO, this clearly deserves a warning.

However, I don't think your second warning was called for.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
In our country, it is not at all unbelievable that someone would wait 37 years before coming forward, because the reaction you demonstrated discourages women from coming forward. This is a huge problem today, and was even bigger 37 years ago. Only one in three rapes is ever reported, by the most generous estimates.

Ignoring all of this and declaring these women to be liars IS jerkish.
Where did I say "these women" are all liars? I don't believe Ford from reviewing the evidence. I think she's an obvious liar given the suspicious story and timing. Also I think anyone reporting any crime more than a few weeks after it happened should also provide corroborating witnesses and/or evidence to be believed. This is because we know from decades of research that human memory is poor quality and biased, especially if more than a few weeks have passed.

Last edited by SamuelA; 11-20-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Shouldn't you quote your post that earned you the first warning for being a jerk?

IMO, this clearly deserves a warning.

However, I don't think your second warning was called for.
I am actually somewhat agreeing. I meant to post:

How about we go a step further. Unless we have an equal representation of all races and genders this means the mod pool is biased. Let's actively discriminate against mod applicants who are of over represented races and genders in favor of under-represented races and genders. Who we should lower the bar for

Now, yeah, in this particular situation, women/minorities are likely under-represented. I don't know, there's no photos of the mods anywhere. But I assume they are all old white guys.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I am actually somewhat agreeing. I meant to post:

How about we go a step further. Unless we have an equal representation of all races and genders this means the mod pool is biased. Let's actively discriminate against mod applicants who are of over represented races and genders in favor of under-represented races and genders. Who we should lower the bar for

Now, yeah, in this particular situation, women/minorities are likely under-represented. I don't know, there's no photos of the mods anywhere. But I assume they are all old white guys.
Did you really just double down on the suggestion that women and minorities would need "the bar to be lowered" if they want to be moderators?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Since the OP has been banned, this is closed.

Last edited by Colibri; 11-20-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Closed Thread