Old 11-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yes. Russia is overly-dependent on just that one industry.
... But, sure, some Russians make out well in their corrupt economy. In any corrupt economy, some people are going to be able to afford to go on vacations, with or without soap.
Though off-topic, a brief review of Russia's per-capita GDP may be in order.
They rank behind most of Europe, but ahead of Asia (except Japan and the "Tigers"), South America and way ahead of Africa. Their nominal per-capita GDP is behind Argentina, but well ahead of Mexico, China, Turkey, and Bulgaria. Their GINI is somewhat lower than four of the countries just mentioned. (Bulgaria's GINI is about the same as Russia's.)

Two special factors pulling in opposite directions:
(1) Russia has very cold climate. Its people have a huge incentive to vacation in tropical climes. (Some Thailand resorts are dominated by Russian tourists.)
(2) The Russian rouble is severely undervalued. This is due to fears of default or devaluation, though increased sanctions seem to be the worry rather than falling oil prices.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:14 PM

In regard to the Democratic debate tonight - I am curious as to how Ms. Warren responds to MFA questions since she put her finger into the wind and found her previous plan is deeply unpopular.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden Arden View Post
In regard to the Democratic debate tonight - I am curious as to how Ms. Warren responds to MFA questions since she put her finger into the wind and found her previous plan is deeply unpopular.
I hope she’s hit hard. Her supporters have become insufferable on Twitter lately. She basically adopted Pete’s plan and then her troll army has spent the last few days slinging everything at Pete.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Though off-topic, a brief review of Russia's per-capita GDP may be in order.
They rank behind most of Europe, but ahead of Asia (except Japan and the "Tigers"), South America and way ahead of Africa. Their nominal per-capita GDP is behind Argentina, but well ahead of Mexico, China, Turkey, and Bulgaria. Their GINI is somewhat lower than four of the countries just mentioned. (Bulgaria's GINI is about the same as Russia's.)

Two special factors pulling in opposite directions:
(1) Russia has very cold climate. Its people have a huge incentive to vacation in tropical climes. (Some Thailand resorts are dominated by Russian tourists.)
(2) The Russian rouble is severely undervalued. This is due to fears of default or devaluation, though increased sanctions seem to be the worry rather than falling oil prices.
Thanks for that information, septimus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I hope she’s hit hard. Her supporters have become insufferable on Twitter lately. She basically adopted Pete’s plan and then her troll army has spent the last few days slinging everything at Pete.
From what I can see on Twitter, they all have troll armies. Well, at least most of them do. Haven't seen any 'enemies of Cory Booker/Andrew Yang/Tom Steyer must be defeated' tweets, yet, anyway. Maybe they'd show up if any of those three hit the top of the polls, though.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 11-21-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Thanks for that information, septimus.

From what I can see on Twitter, they all have troll armies. Well, at least most of them do. Haven't seen any 'enemies of Cory Booker/Andrew Yang/Tom Steyer must be defeated' tweets, yet, anyway. Maybe they'd show up if any of those three hit the top of the polls, though.
What's the main trolling you've seen from the Buttigieg army?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
What's the main trolling you've seen from the Buttigieg army?
What I've seen on Twitter is posting of the variety 'the media all hate Mayor Pete and fail to cover his great features but give massive coverage to things that hurt him.'

There may also be some attacks on other candidates by pro-Mayor Pete accounts; I don't claim to be an expert and haven't made a study of what's going on in each camp. But I've seen a lot of tweets in my regular feed that would fall into the "angry fan of Candidate A sounds off" category. It's not by any means the case that the idea 'let's stay positive and remember that defeating Trump is what's important' is the rule being honored--at least not on Twitter. (I don't use Facebook or look at it, so couldn't offer an opinion about it.)

Last edited by Sherrerd; 11-21-2019 at 10:21 PM.