Old 11-20-2019, 10:52 PM

Dem debate Nov 2019

This seems useless. The moderators are just asking questions, then giving only one candidate a response. This is a Q&A, not a debate.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 PM

Huh. I am experiencing this as a more useful discussion of issues (and a chance to see who these people are) than the others have been. Some actual discussion about the importance of climate change. Some questions that are pointed to specific people about issues that are relevant specifically to them as candidates. Some calling out non-answers. Less trying to position for the one sound clip that might go viral.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:05 PM

Biden: The fact is that, in fact, the fact in fact is that in fact, the fact is in fact that men can punch women in self-defense only. Also, I'm black.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:06 PM

Quite a few looking much better than they have before btw.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:10 PM

How did Steyer or Tulsi qualify? They are nuts. Mayor Pete, who I don't totally agree with, came across the most presidential. Sanders is still my guy.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Huh. I am experiencing this as a more useful discussion of issues (and a chance to see who these people are) than the others have been. Some actual discussion about the importance of climate change. Some questions that are pointed to specific people about issues that are relevant specifically to them as candidates. Some calling out non-answers. Less trying to position for the one sound clip that might go viral.
Same here. At first I thought it was going to be another big rehashing of health care, but then they got onto a much better track.

I've enjoyed Cory Booker tonight more than I have in the past. Kamala Harris polished up a lot of her rhetoric tonight, too. I like her strength.

Amy Klobuchar always impresses me. The wiggling hair kept distracting me, though.

Pete Buttegieg has done pretty well.

I'll be glad when Tulsi Gabbard's campaign is over. I can't stand her.

Warren is Warren, Sanders is Sanders, Biden is Biden. All had some good moments. I'll overlook Uncle Joe's "punching and punching and punching" faux pas. Lots of others won't, though.

Steyer is a distraction -- Biden got in a good lick on him with the coal mine comment.

Same with Yang. Funny and smart, but this isn't his time.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 PM

I wouldn't call Steyer nuts, just unqualified. Who do we think is having their last moment in the sun today?
Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 PM

I'm not seeing anything major that I'd expect to cause a significant shift in the polls after the debate. Warren had a pretty good night. Biden had verbal stumbles, but this hasn't affected his numbers after the previous debates. I thought Harris had the worst debate, as her attack on Gabbard sounded pointless and desperate. Wouldn't be surprised if she drops out before New Year's.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:20 PM

Relative long shots Klobuchar and Booker both did well too. Both much more presidential sounding than in the previous debates. Biden fewer and less severe flubs but still not inspiring confidence. Warren with a weak performance. Sanders same stridency that is his brand that some love and some not. And yeah Buttigieg did well, especially during Gabbard's attack on him, which gave him a chance to demonstrate toughness and strength yet again.

Gawd I hope it's Gabbard's last moment. Likely Booker's though.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:23 PM

Are you and I living in the same universe? Biden had fewer and less severe flubs? Do you mean the part where he informed us that men can raise their hands to women in self-defense, or the part where he said he came out of the black community?

The guy is a mumbling, stumbling, dottering old pile of shit who needs to stop embarrassing himself and fuck off out of this election.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 PM

Oh, one thing I really appreciated hearing from Biden tonight was that he'd let justice run its course if Trump is voted out of office. He went there, and I'm glad.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 PM

Yeah those were flubs. As was calling Mosley Braun the only Black woman senator (Harris on the freakin' stage) but also yeah, fewer than he's had before and less severe.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:28 PM

The "come out of the Black community" bit was clearly understood as his support comes out of btw and clearly he meant the first. Verbal flubs that were fairly mild and lots of good moments too - more than before.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Are you and I living in the same universe? Biden had fewer and less severe flubs? Do you mean the part where he informed us that men can raise their hands to women in self-defense, or the part where he said he came out of the black community?

The guy is a mumbling, stumbling, dottering old pile of shit who needs to stop embarrassing himself and fuck off out of this election.
To be fair, he's always been like this. It's not to do with his age. He started in politics long before the age of the instant youtube to show where you fucked up and he's never changed in that regard. He's a great politician but a hot mess when it comes to verbal gaffes. Debates have never been his strong suit.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:50 PM

I'm for Pete, but I think that the absence of rebuttal basically renders moot the idea of debate. I also agreed with many of things coming out of Corey Booker's mouth. I have a hangup that i'm trying to get over that makes me think of Luther, The anger translator everytime I see him speak. I'm pretty sure that makes me racist because I see a black guy that looks to . me like another black guy. When I closed my eyes, I found his proposals easier to take. I cant really fix my mind. This is pure honesty. Just for the record, I'm going to vote for the dem candidate unless he or she is found alongside a dead girl or boy or man or woman.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbesojumpy View Post
How did Steyer or Tulsi qualify? They are nuts. Mayor Pete, who I don't totally agree with, came across the most presidential. Sanders is still my guy.
Sanders is why we have Trump.

If Sanders wins the nomination, I'd probably be okay with a military coup, as they would do a better job of running the country than Cranky Bernie.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Toxic bullshit. And I didn't even get to the "okay with a military coup" bit. Christ almighty.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 11-21-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Toxic bullshit. And I didn't even get to the "okay with a military coup" bit. Christ almighty.
Nope, you're wrong.

Sanders is part of the younger generations' "ZOMG! It's rigged!!! It's a conspiracy!!!" assumption about their political system.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:

If Sanders wins the nomination, I'd probably be okay with a military coup, as they would do a better job of running the country than Cranky Bernie.
With all due respect, in regard to your innumerable "henny penny" fear-mongering and blindly emotional posts, your political opinions are of no consequence to me, nor are your forum posts.

Your idea of the ideal democrat is Trump Jr running as a dem because you think no one who exists is worthy of beating Trump. Wanna roll it back to your "democratic emergency!!!" thread? Because NO ONE can beat Trump, right?

If Bernie won the nom, or rather--if the DNC and HRC didn't steal it away from him in 2016, he'd be president and not Trump.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Nope, you're wrong.

Sanders is part of the younger generations' "ZOMG! It's rigged!!! It's a conspiracy!!!" assumption about their political system.
You're why Trump still has a chance to win in 2020. It's people like you the left can't count on.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:20 AM

Meh you’re all off base.

Sanders lost. It wasn’t stolen. HE doesn’t peddle that fiction and those who do do Putin’s work.

Sanders might or might not have done better or horribly worse than HRC did in the general, I have my opinions and others have theirs, but if he had won he’d have at worst been an ineffective president, accomplishing nothing. But we’d still even in that worst case have two better judges on SCOTUS anyway. And a lot of Trump harms would never have been.

The vast majority of those on that debate stage would be decent as POTUS or better and likely able to beat Trump. IMHO some better on both counts than others. Critical analysis of who is best why is justified. Chicken Littling any of the top five or six is uncalled for though.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
I'm not seeing anything major that I'd expect to cause a significant shift in the polls after the debate. Warren had a pretty good night. Biden had verbal stumbles, but this hasn't affected his numbers after the previous debates. I thought Harris had the worst debate, as her attack on Gabbard sounded pointless and desperate. Wouldn't be surprised if she drops out before New Year's.
She should have done it four months ago. That's the problem. Back then people were treating her as a serious top tier candidate but now her campaign is running out of battery. It carries less weight now than if she did it in July.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
The "come out of the Black community" bit was clearly understood as his support comes out of btw and clearly he meant the first.
While I agree with your interpretations in this case, I'll just point out that this is what Trump supporters have been doing for three years. "When he said X, clearly he meant (whatever is in the ballpark of X but less awful)," allowing everyone to construct their own version of reality. Republicans will create a different scenario for what Biden actually meant. I think at this point we need a president who is more in control of his or her words.

Last edited by Dr. Drake; 11-22-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Boo hiss! I realize we can't actually have a "debate," but at least try for intelligent discussion!

I'm watching a rerun of the debate just now. Buttigieg was asked what he thought about military spending. This is a very important topic, and one on which the President will have much influence. If the U.S. is wasting Trillions (with a T) on its military priorities, shouldn't we talk about it?

While Buttigieg was talking (and commenting that China was investing more in AI than the U.S.), Booker and Warren raised their hands. Good, I thought, at last interaction among the candidates on an important topic. Even if we don't get the "right" answer, we'll have a chance to gauge the caliber of thinking.

But the Moderators weren't having it. They called a break; after the commercial: "Now we let Tulsi Gabbard give her prepared soundbites on racism."

Booooo.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

It just awful timing that the next debate will be so close to Christmas, people will be focusing on Frosty and Rudolph more than Bernie and Biden. It does look like the herd will finally be thinned, we will be down to 6 or 7 candidates likely.

It’s obvious the Harris campaign is bleeding money and I wouldn’t be shocked with a Friday news drop of suspending her campaign. I don’t know enough about Booker or Klobuchar’s campaign organizations to judge, but I know they didn’t bring on as much staff as Harris as she started off so strong plus wanted a focus on SC as well.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:01 PM

When the field thins out I’m hoping we get back to a debate format and less q and a.

Biden sounded better but he still fumbles and misspeaks, deer-in-headlights style, though less than before. Tulsi Gabbard is done, why is she still there? She should have dropped out already. Steyer is done too, unless he makes a Trump like turnaround in the 2015 primaries, but I doubt that. Cory Booker and Amy Klobuchar have good ideas and I want to see them go far, but it’ll be a challenge for them. I think Mayor Pete is a very strong and sound candidate, but does being the mayor of Indiana’s 4th largest city give one enough experience? I do like Buttigieg, yes.

I haven’t checked recent polling but I think Bernie, Warren, Biden, and Pete will be in the last four finally standing. Maybe add Kamala Harris for the last five.