Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 PM

"Mike" Bloomberg Presidential campaign, 2020

I just saw a "Mike" Bloomberg ad where he claimed he has stood up to "this administration". When? He left office as mayor before Individual 1 took office.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 AM
BANNED

I think there's very little more telling of the state of modern American politics than a billionaire starting his campaign by spending more on ads than anyone ever had... from his own pockets, without significantly impacting his own wealth, explicitly to fight against people on the left who want him to pay more taxes.

Quote:
Bloomberg is running in part because he opposes the progressive candidates' "extreme wealth taxes" which would see him paying $3.7b under a Sanders presidency, $3b under a Warren presidency or $512m under a Steyer presidency -- per year.

That $32m that Bloomberg has dumped into his ad-buy? It's 1.1% of the tax bill he'd owe under Warren in the first year.

Lavish political spending is a rational calculus when it comes to the ultra-rich: the Kochs -- who have been pouring money into oligarch-friendly organizations and campaigns for a generation -- have seen a massive return on their investments. Amazon was making a similar calculus when it dumped unprecedented sums into the local Seattle elections -- though Amazon's investment failed in large part because the impropriety was so blatant that it motivated voters to cast ballots against it.
To which there really is only one response that I can dignify this with. Starts with a "G", looks sharp on billionaires.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:04 AM

Greatcoats?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Greatcoats?
I was going with Gucci but sure, that works too.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:54 AM

If he wanted a centrist candidate, his timing could not possibly have been worse. Buttigieg was just catching fire and was tied with Sanders and Warren to win at 23% on PredictiT. Now Buttigieg is down to 18% last I looked. I like Bloomberg but he's an idiot to split off the centrist vote from Buttigieg at the moment.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
If he wanted a centrist candidate, his timing could not possibly have been worse. Buttigieg was just catching fire and was tied with Sanders and Warren to win at 23% on PredictiT. Now Buttigieg is down to 18% last I looked. I like Bloomberg but he's an idiot to split off the centrist vote from Buttigieg at the moment.
Its hard to take Butigieg seriously. He has never gotten more than 10,991 votes in an election.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Its hard to take Butigieg seriously. He has never gotten more than 10,991 votes in an election.
OK, Republican talking point.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Trump had 0 votes before he got elected. As did Bloomberg for Mayor. I trust prediction markets over polls and those had him dead even at the top
Old 11-27-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post

To which there really is only one response that I can dignify this with. Starts with a "G", looks sharp on billionaires.
I was thinking "Guillotine".