Old 11-27-2019, 04:46 PM

How much protection for Trump after he leaves office?

I saw another article today, mentioning tangentially about Trump relocating to Florida. I assume he would live at Mar-a-Loco.

We know that presidents get protection for the rest of their lives, right? How much protection?

Specifically, I wonder: Wherever an incumbent president goes, he is surrounded by a no-fly bubble. Does this continue after he leaves office?

It's been discussed here and elsewhere that a certain General Aviation airport exists near Mar-a-Loco, which has been compelled to go on lockdown every time Trump is at M-a-L, with ruinous effects to the aviation-related businesses located there. Will this continue to be the case after Trump of out of office?

On a related note: These discussions have also noted the disruptive effects of His Superlative Presence on the nearby community, what with roadblocks and what-not. And we've seen discussions of the disruption caused by his protection every time he visits Trump Tower too. How much of these things will persist after Trump is out of office?

ETA: Does anyone know any answers, based on the facts from previous presidents?

Last edited by Senegoid; 11-27-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
It's been discussed here and elsewhere that a certain General Aviation airport exists near Mar-a-Loco, which has been compelled to go on lockdown every time Trump is at M-a-L, with ruinous effects to the aviation-related businesses located there.
Is it a general aviation airport? As far as I know the closest airport to Mar-a-Lago is Palm Beach International, a major commercial airport only a few miles away. I know in the past Trump has complained about the planes flying over his resort, as if ATC was doing it on purpose to annoy him.

I havn't heard of it going on lockdown merely due to his presence at Mar-a-Lago, but IIRC it's the airport he uses whenever he flies down there on Air Force One, and I believe it does go on lockdown whenever AF1 is present with him on board. Well maybe not "lockdown" exactly, but no other planes allowed to take off or land. Is that what you're thinking of maybe? If it's on lockdown the entire time he's present at the resort that I haven't heard about that, and I'd certainly be interested in reading more about it.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:18 PM

Hang tight a few minutes, WildaBeast, I'll hunt up a few cites on the subject.

I'm pretty sure the airport in question is a smaller General Aviation airport, NOT Palm Beach Int'l, that is closer to M-a-L.

Stay tuned . . .
Old 11-27-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Mar-a-Loco.
It's Mar-a-Lago.

I have nothing further to add.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:59 PM

Okay, hereís one cite from February, 2017:
Trump's Mar-a-Lago visits are hurting business, companies say

The airport is Lantana Airport in Lantana, FL, six miles from Mar-a-Loco. It serves general aviation only, no scheduled commercial flights. Businesses include (or included) flight schools, small aircraft maintenance, and a banner-flying business and such-like.

Business owners were trying to work out some kind of compromise with Secret Service. Last I read of that (also quite some time ago), Secret Service wasnít budging, and the airport goes on total lockdown every time Trump shows up, for the entire time he is at M-a-L.

Another article from about the same time:
Security closures for Trump visits to Mar-a-Lago put small airport in tailspin
(Actually, upon skimming it, it looks like the same article as the first cite.)

Two articles from AOPA magazine (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association) from March, 2017:
Lantana Airport Faces New TFR Shutdown. AOPA works to help airport function when Trump visits Mar-a-Lago
Quote:
The economic impact of security shutdowns of the general aviation airport near President Donald Trumpís Florida estate seemed likely to escalate as a new temporary flight restriction (TFR) was set to take effect from March 17 to 19 in the Palm Beach area.
Lantana Airport Businesses Scramble to Survive. Peak Flying Times Grounded by Presidentís Security Restrictions
Quote:
Small aviation businesses that once thrived at Palm Beach, Floridaís Lantana Airport may be approaching a crisis point as security shutdowns ordered for President Donald Trumpís stays at nearby Mar-a-Lago ground all local flying during peak weekend money-making periods.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:11 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Mar-a-Loco.

Mar-a-Loco

His Superlative Presence
Moderator Note

Let's keep political jabs out of GQ, especially in an OP, even if you are trying to be jocular. No warning issued.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

MODERATOR INSTRUCTION

THIS IS A REMINDER TO KEEP RESPONSES STRICTLY FACTUAL. INAPPROPRIATE POLITICAL COMMENTARY WILL BE SUBJECT TO A WARNING.

Last edited by Colibri; 11-27-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:12 PM

Here is the aeronautical chart for the area. Palm Beach International (KPBI) is at the center of the heavy magenta rings. Palm Beach County Park / Lantana airport (KLNA) is just immediately to the south of that. (Note: If you want to move around or zoom, it uses the same User Interface as Google Maps.)

http://vfrmap.com/?lat=26.5930555556...646111&zoom=10
Old 11-27-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Okay, here’s one cite from February, 2017:
Trump's Mar-a-Lago visits are hurting business, companies say
Ah, I see, Lantana Airport is actually farther away than Palm Beach International, which is why I was confused, but the no-fly zone only applies to private aircraft. So commercial flights are still allowed at PBI, but the smaller airport is essentially shut down. And I assume private planes are banned from PBI during that time, as well.

Quote:
The airport, which handles only small, propeller-driven planes and helicopters, is about 6 miles southwest of Mar-a-Lago, well within the 10-mile circle around the resort that’s closed to most private planes when he’s in town. Trump flies into Palm Beach International Airport, which is 2.5 miles from Mar-a-Lago, and remains open as it handles commercial flights.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 11-27-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:46 PM

Here is the Google Maps view of the same area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.6466....069765,12.98z

Assuming this link gets you exactly the same view I am seeing, here is what to look for:

Note Route 98, the east-west route near the top of the view. Just above this, at top center, is a little airplane icon, indicating Palm Beach International Airport. At the FAR east end of Route 98, where it meets A1A, is about where Mar-a-Lago is. Near the bottom of this view is an area called Lake Worth, and just about south of that you'll see John Prince Park at bottom center of the view. Just immediately south of that (you may have to scroll and zoom in to see it) is Lantana Airport.

You can zoom in on any of these areas to see in more detail, but this view seems to be as zoomed in as you can get and still see all these points of interest on screen at once.

My question still stands: Will these security restrictions continue indefinitely after Trump leaves office?

Also, I'll add this question: Has Secret Service come to some compromise with the airport or the local community regarding these draconian restrictions, or are they still standing their ground to this day?

Last edited by Senegoid; 11-27-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:08 PM

If I recall correctly, former President Obama still lives in Washington, which is near several airports.

Is that a problem?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
If I recall correctly, former President Obama still lives in Washington, which is near several airports.

Is that a problem?
Apparently not. Some of the articles I read (I think including one of the ones I linked in Post #5) mentioned that the Secret Service has worked out compromise solutions with those airports, so that they remain open with some kind of restrictions. But I just skimmed over the details.

OTOH, as of those February/March 2017 articles, the Secret Service has refused to budge on Lantana Airport. Nobody there is allowed to do so much as fire up an airplane engine while Trump is in town -- Which also affects the maintenance shops. They can't even spin up an engine to test it while they are working on it.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post

Is that a problem?
No, because the Washington area is basically a giant no-fly zone except for carefully protected routes in and out of Reagan National Airport.

Quote:
The airspace around Washington, DC. is more restricted than in any other part of the country. There is an existing prohibition against flying any type of unmanned aircraft without specific approval around the District of Columbia, cities, towns, and airports.
Here's a really cool map of restricted airspaces across the U.S. Zoom into the Washington D.C. area and you'll see it's the only city in the country that's completely restricted.
And despite all the warnings, the restrictions still get violated, like they did this week.

There's also a no-fly zone directly over George W. Bush's home in Dallas and ranch in Waco when he's there.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:36 AM

I worked with a guy who had a small plane and he had to get special permission to fly it to DC, I think to Reagan National. I don't know if they did some background check on him or something else.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post
It's Mar-a-Lago.
I have nothing further to add.
I think you mean ... OK, I stop.

Last edited by Pardel-Lux; 11-28-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Read about possible warnings, consider the threat wrong, but I'll abide.