Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:46 AM

Personal attack on a smug alarmist

Dear Chronos -Thank you for pointing out such egregious behavior. I accept that it is against the rules, but I think it was taken too far by slapping me with my first official warning that will stay on my SD record forever, this makes me sad. You could have politley told me to hush about the smug alarmist without dragging me down in such a manner. I've seen the mods do it before, gently wag their finger at a poster and then say "no official warning given" . I suppose you could have afforded me the same treatment, since I have never tussled or argued unfairly with any poster on this board beore, and have never been singled out for bad behavior by any mod since I joined in 2004.

Sincerely
Chela

"Dear chela,

You have received a warning at Straight Dope Message Board.

Reason:
-------
Personal Insults

Personal attacks are not allowed in General Questions.
-------

Original Post:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...php?p=21997884
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Yes. Are you suggesting that sinkholes are only dangerous in Florida?
Don't be confused,you sounded like a smug alarmist with useless anecdotes for the situation. Because if your house was about to be swallowed you fucking scram before you dither on the phone with a request for a municipal inspection, not a 24/7 dept ymmfv.
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Straight Dope Message Board"
Old 12-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Dear chela,

You've been here since 2004. Surely by now you should have been able to work out how to walk the Dope's silly but rather clear lines regarding personal insults.

You wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
Don't be confused,you sounded like a smug alarmist with useless anecdotes for the situation.
What you should have written was:

"Don't be confused, your post sounded like smug alarmism with useless anecdotes for the situation."

Happy to help!
Old 12-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In GQ that post could likely have been moderated as well. GQ has the lowest tolerance for snark and perceived jabs.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:01 PM

Your first and only warning in 15 years. Don't sweat it. As long as you don't have a consistent history of warnings, you should be safe. The mods do take prior behavior into account when giving out suspensions or bans. As long as you don't make a habit out of it, you won't be on their radar.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
In GQ that post could likely have been moderated as well. GQ has the lowest tolerance for snark and perceived jabs.
Sorry, wasnít clear I was replying to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Dear chela,

You've been here since 2004. Surely by now you should have been able to work out how to walk the Dope's silly but rather clear lines regarding personal insults.

You wrote:What you should have written was:

"Don't be confused, your post sounded like smug alarmism with useless anecdotes for the situation."

Happy to help!
Old 12-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Sure, it might have been. But it also might not have been, depending on the mod, the poster, and phase of the moon, and the position of the tea leaves.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:31 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Sure, it might have been. But it also might not have been, depending on the mod, the poster, and phase of the moon, and the position of the tea leaves.
I would have moderated it.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I used the conditional word “could”, since I didn’t want to speak in absolutes, but in GQ, a post like you constructed would likely have been modded.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 12-01-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I would have moderated it.
Quote:
Sure, that's been made clear, but HOW would you have modded it, with an official warning or a mod note alerting me to the potential for a warning? I hardly think I'm on anyone's moderating radar as it is, but act you must when a post gets reported - its how you respond that matters most imo. It pains me so that I ruffled NP's feathers - thoughts and prayers to the injured party.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure, that's been made clear, but HOW would you have modded it, with an official warning or a mod note alerting me to the potential for a warning? I hardly think I'm on anyone's moderating radar as it is, but act you must when a post gets reported - its how you respond that matters most imo. It pains me so that I ruffled NP's feathers - thoughts and prayers to the injured party.
The post, as it stood, was far into warning territory, in my opinion, past behavior not really relevant. The adapted post that mhendo posted would have been borderline in most forums but warning worthy in GQ. Again I never moderated GQ, but that’s my perspective.

And to be clear, the post you quoted was referring to mhendo's suggestion, not your original post.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 12-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:04 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
That's neither here nor there. The post was clearly in violation of the rules and subject to a warning. Just because you've seen a cop occasionally let someone off for going 58 mph in a 55 mph zone is no reason you're entitled to insist that you don't deserve a ticket for doing the same thing.

As has been said, one warning in 15 years is essentially a non-issue. Don't worry about it.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:20 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
As has been said, one warning in 15 years is essentially a non-issue. Don't worry about it.
Personally I would be more worried about what Mrs Sior wrote in my file back in 6th grade. But that could just be me.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
The post, as it stood, was far into warning territory, in my opinion, past behavior not really relevant. The adapted post that mhendo posted would have been borderline in most forums but warning worthy in GQ. Again I never moderated GQ, but thatís my perspective.

And to be clear, the post you quoted was referring to mhendo's suggestion, not your original post.

Far into warning territory? Really? I feel so ignorant of your standards right now.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Far into warning territory? Really? I feel so ignorant of your standards right now.
It's because it was in GQ. GQ has always had much, much higher standards than the other forums. You can't even make jokes until the question has been answered.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Personally I would be more worried about what Mrs Sior wrote in my file back in 6th grade.
No wonder you're unemployable.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:20 PM

I should report that thread for a forum change to IMHO, as it's full of opinions and anecdotes and no expert here can factually address the issue in question.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Dear Chronos -Thank you for pointing out such egregious behavior. I accept that it is against the rules, but I think it was taken too far by slapping me with my first official warning that will stay on my SD record forever, this makes me sad. You could have politley told me to hush about the smug alarmist without dragging me down in such a manner. I've seen the mods do it before, gently wag their finger at a poster and then say "no official warning given" . I suppose you could have afforded me the same treatment, since I have never tussled or argued unfairly with any poster on this board beore, and have never been singled out for bad behavior by any mod since I joined in 2004.

Sincerely
Chela

"Dear chela,

You have received a warning at Straight Dope Message Board.

Reason:
-------
Personal Insults

Personal attacks are not allowed in General Questions.
-------

Original Post:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...php?p=21997884
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Yes. Are you suggesting that sinkholes are only dangerous in Florida?
Don't be confused,you sounded like a smug alarmist with useless anecdotes for the situation. Because if your house was about to be swallowed you fucking scram before you dither on the phone with a request for a municipal inspection, not a 24/7 dept ymmfv.
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Straight Dope Message Board"
Youíre upset you were warned for that post?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:08 PM

THat's the post I was warned about, you sound a bit incredulous about the warning, if I read your implication correctly. It is what it is man.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:12 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
I should report that thread for a forum change to IMHO, as it's full of opinions and anecdotes and no expert here can factually address the issue in question.
Why didn't you report it then? In any case, although there were some factual responses, your own post didn't come anywhere near being one of them. I would also note that although you profess to be embarrassed or distressed about the warning, you seem to be determined to bring as much attention to it as possible.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:25 PM

Reread what I wrote please, I said it made me sad. Embarrassed and distressed is you projecting about my motivations. SOmedays I deserve a little attention what's it to you anyway?
Old 12-01-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Why didn't you report it then? In any case, although there were some factual responses, your own post didn't come anywhere near being one of them. I would also note that although you profess to be embarrassed or distressed about the warning, you seem to be determined to bring as much attention to it as possible.
In addition , i did not report the thread then because reporting posts, or posters is not an activity I have ever partaken of before. If someone annoys the hell out of me I put them on ignore and go on. However about an hour ago I did report that thread for a forum change.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
THat's the post I was warned about, you sound a bit incredulous about the warning, if I read your implication correctly. It is what it is man.
I donít have a dog in this fight, so please take my suggestion at face value: this warning isnít worth disputing.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:24 AM

Now that you've gotten a warning, you can wear your leather jacket with pride.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Now that you've gotten a warning, you can wear your leather jacket with pride.
IT's pleather man its pleather, and one cannot even see the which scarlet letterwith which it's been branded because it's covered in mud, debris and a slime of unknown origin, I think it was pulled out of a sinkhole. I'm wearing it now
Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 AM

I’ve gotten a few warnings in the 20 years I’ve been here. Every one I knew would result in a warning and I took it in stride. What I said needed to be said and They followed my internal rule. If I would say it in person, I’d post it.
C’est la vie.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:53 PM

So while you are over here whining about getting a Warning, you're still over in the other thread trying to make a fight of it.

I mean one person says the sinkhole is dangerous and to get out now. Somehow he's being a smug alarmist. Then another poster says to contact the city or county. But you're hung up on the inconsistency of it being dangerous and taking time to contact the city works department, even though the suggestions were posted by different people.

Look, I get that the warning thing bites. I went forever here without any warnings, then finally was given one over something I thought was okay. But I didn't huff and puff or whine about my reputation or worry I'm somehow now going to be banned for any little thing. I took it and moved on. You should do the same.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
So while you are over here whining about getting a Warning, you're still over in the other thread trying to make a fight of it.

I mean one person says the sinkhole is dangerous and to get out now. Somehow he's being a smug alarmist. Then another poster says to contact the city or county. But you're hung up on the inconsistency of it being dangerous and taking time to contact the city works department, even though the suggestions were posted by different people.

Look, I get that the warning thing bites. I went forever here without any warnings, then finally was given one over something I thought was okay. But I didn't huff and puff or whine about my reputation or worry I'm somehow now going to be banned for any little thing. I took it and moved on. You should do the same.
shoulda coulda woulda you do you and I'll do me. If you want to discuss sinkholes further please return to the original thread. In the meantime I got shit to throw down the quarry.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
No, my favorite part is that he starts a thread here and insults the poster a second time in the thread title. He's not mad that he was warned for "personally insulting another poster", nope; he's mad that he was warned for making a "personal attack on a smug alarmist". Had he insulted a regular person, things would have been different, you see. He merely insulted a smug alarmist, so that shouldn't blemish his permanent record.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
shoulda coulda woulda you do you and I'll do me. If you want to discuss sinkholes further please return to the original thread. In the meantime I got shit to throw down the quarry.
Moderator Note

At this point you're verging on trolling. Before you get yourself in further trouble I'm going to close this. You have expressed your concerns with the warning, and they have been noted. Do not open another thread on this particular issue.

Colibri
Closed Thread