Old 12-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Help identify this movie

Small film, recent-ish, probably around 2011. Basic plot is a single mom raising her teen daughter. The movie opens with the daughter on a jungle gym along with her friend-zoned guy friend. It also may end the same way. The movie is largely from the daughter's perspective, including narration, but there's also a fair share from the mom's point of view.

The father is some kind of trucker or oil pipeline worker or whatever where the job keeps him away for months at a time, and of course the marriage is in the toilet because of that. Mom starts dating her boss, I think(?), and that really pisses off the daughter. Dad visits once in his pickup truck, I think the affair with the boss comes to light and then he takes off. That may be his only scene in the movie.

Anyway, I randomly thought of the jungle gym opening and it's been driving me crazy that I can't remember the movie or any actor in it. I thought the mom was played by Selma Blair, but I don't see anything on her imdb page that fits.

The dad is pretty darn famous, and I can see his face clear as day in my mind but I just can't come up with the name. He's maybe Patrick Wilson-level famous. Definitely a leading man for a minute. I thought maybe his name was Scott something, but again no hits on imdb seemed to fit.

I'm pretty sure the daughter has become somewhat famous, but I can't even picture her now. Someone along the lines of Britt Robertson or Olivia Cooke in terms of age and fame level.

Please help, it's driving me crazy! That I can't remember the dad's name bothers me; I should know it. And thus this thread.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:55 PM

As Cool As I Am
Old 12-04-2019, 06:06 PM

Thank you!

James Marsden. I kept thinking he was in a superhero movie, but I kept fixating on the Fantastic Four movies. I knew he wasn't part of the MCU, but just didn't think of X-Men. (EDIT: Ha! His name was Scott in X-Men.)

Claire Danes, not Selma Blair. I consider that pretty close.

Sarah Bolger (the daughter) never did get very famous, but I'm a huge fan. Last time I saw her she was playing the alternate-dimension daughter in Counterpart.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 12-04-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:11 PM

I'll give you James Marsden too - Scott was his X-Men character.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Also Lois Lane's sad-sack love interest in the 2006 Superman Returns (Brandon Routh's Superman).