View Poll Results: Where do you park at home? (choose the closest answer)
Garage, attached, single family home 72 33.03%
Garage, detached, single family home 18 8.26%
Garage, attached, townhouse 5 2.29%
Garage, detached, townhouse 0 0%
Have a garage, but I park in the driveway 32 14.68%
Have a garage, but I park somewhere else 4 1.83%
Garage, reserved/owned space(s), condo/apartment building 12 5.50%
Garage, free-for-all, condo/apartment building 0 0%
Public garage 0 0%
Surface parking lot, reserved/owned space(s), condo/apartment building 7 3.21%
Surface parking lot, free-for-all, condo/apartment building 9 4.13%
Public surface parking lot 0 0%
Driveway, no garage 22 10.09%
Carport 6 2.75%
Parking pad 3 1.38%
Street parking, permitted 4 1.83%
Street parking, free-for-all 11 5.05%
Something else 7 3.21%
I dont have a car to park 6 2.75%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

My truck won't fit in my garage so I park in the driveway.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 PM

Now I park in a space I own under my condo. Before I moved I parked from Nov through mid-April in my partly heated garage and in the driveway the rest of the year.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 PM

Covered reserved parking, thank God. It sucks running from the car to the door in our frequently wet weather. Not having to park out in 40 acre field, because you came in late, is great too.

I don't know you people who have to park on the street manage it. I don't even like doing it when I visit somewhere.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:22 AM

Surface lot at apartment building, free-for-all. But there are sufficiently more spaces than cars that finding a spot near my building is never a problem. The management company has a list of everybody's cars and plate numbers who's allowed to park here and so you could theoretically get towed if you're not a resident, but I've never seen it happen in 5 years of living here.

98% of the time, it's fine. When it snows more than a couple of inches, which it does a handful of times a year (and occasionally real doozies like 2+ feet), then I wish we had covered parking. They plow the lot but everybody is responsible for digging out their own car. If it's a really big storm, sometimes they'll get out the front end loader to help move more piles of snow, but usually not. Shovel shovel shovel.

Still less work than a driveway, though.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Covered reserved parking, thank God. It sucks running from the car to the door in our frequently wet weather. Not having to park out in 40 acre field, because you came in late, is great too.

I don't know you people who have to park on the street manage it. I don't even like doing it when I visit somewhere.
We lived on a small street that was relatively quiet and it was a pain, more so after our 1st kid was born. On top of that, we lived on a hill and it was about 18 steps up from the sidewalk to the front door. Having to schlep bags and a baby is one of the reasons we moved.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Attached garage, single family home. Only a one car garage, which is fine since I have only one car. Driveway is barely two car lengths long, 1.5 cars wide. When my daughter visits, they park half on the driveway / half in the yard. No on street overnight parking allowed, and parking only on one side of the street.
I used to park half the time in the driveway, but we've had a huge uptick in car break-ins over the past year, so the car goes in the garage every night.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft View Post
We lived on a small street that was relatively quiet and it was a pain, more so after our 1st kid was born. On top of that, we lived on a hill and it was about 18 steps up from the sidewalk to the front door. Having to schlep bags and a baby is one of the reasons we moved.
While dealing with ice and snow. That doesn't sound pleasant at all. At least it's flat here.

Quiet streets like you describe, if they allow parking on both sides, can be absolutely nerve racking to drive through. It seemed like Berkeley, CA was infested with the things, usually with hills to boot, and nobody had any clue about who was supposed to yield. Lots of fun!

Did you guys ever do the PA, 'stick a lawn chair in the shovelled out street parking space'?
Old 12-04-2019, 10:26 AM

Garage always. I have an F-150, Focus ST, Honda Shadow motorcycle, 2 bikes, and 2 kayaks in my garage. Things last so much better when they aren't in the sun/weather. Plus it's so nice not having to scrape ice off windshields or clear snow off of cars.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:45 AM

In my old home I had a driveway installed where there had been none so it was not perfect (my SUV could only pull up so far into it) but it was better than continuing to deal with fighting for street parking. I have since gotten rid of that car and moved to a more urban area and have been without a car for over a year so that is what I voted.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:49 AM

Wow, all together parking inside a garage of some type is about 50%, would have guessed about 25% or less.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Wow, all together parking inside a garage of some type is about 50%, would have guessed about 25% or less.
I would have guessed 60-70%. People with space are more likely to own cars.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM

I have a four-plex with an eight-space parking lot. The lot is reserved for residents (two spots each), but individual spots aren't assigned.

It still trips me out that I own a parking lot.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
While dealing with ice and snow. That doesn't sound pleasant at all. At least it's flat here.

Quiet streets like you describe, if they allow parking on both sides, can be absolutely nerve racking to drive through. It seemed like Berkeley, CA was infested with the things, usually with hills to boot, and nobody had any clue about who was supposed to yield. Lots of fun!

Did you guys ever do the PA, 'stick a lawn chair in the shovelled out street parking space'?
That would be frowned upon in Polite Toronto, first come first served. The problem was that if you parked nose into a snow bank heading downhill (parking was on that side only) with a front wheel drive car you had a good chance of getting stuck.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Helidrome.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Apartment surface lot, 90% free-for-all spaces but permit parking only. We have a car port, but it is taken with 3 bicycles,and we can't afford rent on a garage. I guess as winter gets nasty, we'll decide if our budget can be re-prioritized.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

My wife parks in the garage, I park on the grass strip next to the driveway. She leaves for work before I do.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:43 PM

We have room for one car and Ms. P and my motorcycles. The car that our son drives when he's home from college and I drive when it's raining or too icy for me to ride a motorcycle is parked on the street.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Workshop is in the garage, so the car goes on the street, until the nasty hail I've been warned about arrives.