View Poll Results: Your feelings about Christianity vs. feelings about other religions
I perceive Christianity in a more positive light than I perceive other religions. 25 14.62%
I perceive Christianity no differently than I perceive any other religion. 102 59.65%
I perceive Christianity in a more negative light than I perceive other religions. 44 25.73%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2019, 09:00 AM

Your feelings about Christianity vs. feelings about other religions

Curious to see poll results - since most Dopers are from nations that are (on the surface) majority Christian or at least have a Christian heritage. (It can often lead to the opposite effect/perception)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 AM

"They're all crap" would be how I sum up my point of view.

--Victor John Stenger
Old 05-17-2019, 09:14 AM

I don't believe that any organized religion has it right. I was born and raised Catholic, so my only opinions are about Christianity. The pastors of my grade school and my high school both were molesters, that's a fact. I remember some really nice nuns, and some old angry ones. What the church has done to cover up child abuse is reprehensible.
Other religions, I have no comment because I have no experience.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

That's a hard one for me. Most of the religious people I've talked to have been okay, but the radical religious (rah-rah) Christians are absolutely the pits. They know their religious beliefs are facts, and every one who doesn't believe it is a child of the devil who is going to hell. Of course, you can live the worst life on the planet, and if you accept Jesus as your personal savior two seconds before you die, you're in heaven. Go figure.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:18 AM

As I was raised in the US, I have an awareness of the history of Christianity from teachings in church and school. This leaves me with impressions of how Christianity has been behind centuries of what I consider bad behavior to others (conquest, war, subjugation, colonialism, genocide).

I am not aware of the same bad behavior in the name of any number of other world religions. However, admittedly, I have not studied history that has provided me with stories that would leave me with those impressions.

Of course, stories about Islam have been repeated in the West that intend to paint a picture of bad behavior. But the poll is limited in options of comparing Christianity to "Other". So, when I lump Islam into "Other" along with Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto, Judaism, etc., it is inaccurate to make a statement in the poll about "feelings" of "other religions" that covers all of these as one bucket.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM

I think religions bring a sense a of peace, structure, history and community to a lot of people and that is the good they do. Everything else is horrible and scary.

Last edited by Quimby; 05-17-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 AM

"I perceive Christianity in a more negative light than I perceive other religions". Partly because it's the one I have to put up with, and partly because even as religions go it's especially unpleasant. It's all about despair and hate and death, and the loathing of any form of happiness that doesn't come from hurting or oppressing people.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 05-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
As I was raised in the US, I have an awareness of the history of Christianity from teachings in church and school. This leaves me with impressions of how Christianity has been behind centuries of what I consider bad behavior to others (conquest, war, subjugation, colonialism, genocide).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
"I perceive Christianity in a more negative light than I perceive other religions". Partly because it's the one I have to put up with, and partly because even as religions go it's especially unpleasant. It's all about despair and hate and death, and the loathing of any form of happiness that doesn't come from hurting or oppressing people.
Christianity is also the religion that has been most successful at exporting itself to new cultures and geographic areas and thus, in my estimation, has done the most harm.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 AM

Interesting. So far, 37% of the vote is "I view Christianity more negatively than I do other religions" and not a single vote so far has been for the positive option.

For those of you who voted 'negative,' do you think you would feel this way about most or any religion if it were the dominant one in the nation you grew up in (i.e,. if you grew up in Saudi Arabia, you'd feel negatively about Islam, or Hinduism if you grew up in India?)
Old 05-17-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I think religions bring a sense a of peace, structure, history and community to a lot of people and that is the good they do.
I think some people are naturally disposed to set up their lives this way and would do so in the absence of religion. Similarly, there are a few people who need a rule book in order to behave themselves, and there are a handful of people who will do any atrocity as long as It Is Written down somewhere that the atrocity is ok--again, with or without religion as the support.

Philosophy is good because it makes you look at the actual world and learn something about it, and from there you can build a set of principles to help you interact with it. And because you've come to those conclusions through effort you are more likely to internalize and live by them.

Religion sucks because it's a shortcut that just gives you answers without much exploration into why that is the answer. It gets really crazy when the answers you're using were developed by stone-age people the ancient Greeks would have considered semi-literate and unsophisticated at best, and the ancient Greeks were some kooky folks in their own right.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

For those of you who voted 'negative,' do you think you would feel this way about most or any religion if it were the dominant one in the nation you grew up in (i.e,. if you grew up in Saudi Arabia, you'd feel negatively about Islam, or Hinduism if you grew up in India?)
Probably. The other religion I know best is Judaism and I have a pretty negative view of that one too (the religion, not the ethnic group)
I'm sure the more I was exposed to any religion, the more negatively I would feel about it. As a wise man once said "they're all crap."
Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I doubt it. In graduate school, I studied the spread of religion and growth of empires (whether and how they were connected). Christianity stands out for its aggression in using military power to spread, for its treatment of non-Christians, and for the general hypocrisy of its leaders vis-a-vis the tenets of the religion. I can point to other religions for some of these same faults, but Christianity leads the pack.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 05-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, kind of this. Contrary to the proverbial preference for the devil that you know, I think many of us have a special abhorrence for the nasty institutions we're most familiar with.

Not that I haven't had mutually respectful conversations with self-identifying Christians, including Polycarp on this board back in the day.

My intellectual take on the matter, as distinguished from gut-level reactions (as much as possible at any rate) is that any organized and codified religion is antithetical to everything spiritual in the same sense that euthanasia and taxidermy aren't very compatible with life. To the extent that "spiritual" means anything that is actually genuinely worthwhile, it references a lot of processes that can't be specified and written down in a book of truth nor spoken of authoritatively by someone that is defined as one who should be automatically believed, or represented by a clergy that is distinguished from the laity. Or that has an official orthodoxy in any shape way fashion or form. But having said that, the ills of Christianity could and can and do manifest in all the other orthodoxies and to that end they're all bad news.

I myself am not an atheist. I use theistic language and do so non-cynically, non-sarcastically, to refer to aspects of experience I consider quite real. But all attempts to codify that have backfired spectacularly.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 AM
born to be shunned

Christianity speaks more to me and my experiences but I don't really see it as all that different from the other choices out there in general terms. All can be equally abused.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
It's all about despair and hate and death, and the loathing of any form of happiness that doesn't come from hurting or oppressing people.

If this is your view of Christianity, it's a pretty big straw man.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:54 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I'm a Christian and have read about other religions. I feel that people have acted extraordinarily positively and negatively based on their religion, in all religions. I don't think Christianity is any different.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:06 AM

I think that the negative feelings are largely that we are familiar with Christianity and that it is still a cultural force. It's also a 'safe' religion to bash since we consider ourselves culturally Christian, so anti-Christian language is tolerated and in many circles celebrated in ways that anti-other religious language would not be. We can talk about violent expansion of Christianity, but largely it hasn't been particularly bad. Christianity via Rome became the dominant religion of Europe and as Europe expanded, it took religion with it. Sometimes that involved violence, but more frequently, it involved groups adopting Christianity to access European power. This isn't to pretend that Christianity hasn't had its bloody episodes, but it's a 2000 year old religion that is followed by 1/3 of the world and the only part of the world that we actually learn about in history (We all know about the Crusades, but no one is particularly familiar with the Ikko-ikki rebellion.) so it's not surprising that it has a bloody history. Pretty much every belief system does (including lack of belief-the Reign of Terror wasn't called that because it was all about happiness and joy)

I think that we have to remember that religion is what created society. It solidified social bonds and allowed non-familial groupings to come together under a shared ethos. Looking at Gobekli Tepe, it is theorized that organized religion pre-dates agriculture and may in fact be the reason that we have agriculture and society as a whole. The history of humanity is the history of religion. It's not surprising then that religion figures prominently in all of the atrocious crap that we do to each other, but nor should it be excluded from all of the awesome stuff we have done either. Christianity is no different other than it happens to be bigger and more traditionally held by the world's dominant powers over the last half millennia.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM

I voted negative, but mainly because of the evangelical wing. There are plenty of good Christians out there.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM

All religions are based on irrationality. Some include some valid ethical teachings, but are ultimately grounded in fairy tales.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:21 AM

I voted negatively.

I'm an atheist, but my view of Christianity (and Islam) are worse than other religions due to the following rule: "thou shall have no other gods before me". That creates a lot of religious intolerance, missionaries such as John Allen Chau, and historically resulted in numerous invasions, forced conversions, and massacres.

The schisms also resulted in lots of massacres, although I'm not entirely sure how that compares to certain other religions.

When I compare Christianity to, say, Japanese religions, there's a huge difference in religious tolerance. In Japan, there are two main religions, Shinto and Buddhism. When Buddhism established itself in Japan, there was a civil war, so clearly the possibility of religious violence and intolerance were there, but afterward things calmed down. There's nothing preventing an individual Japanese person from being Buddhist and Shinto simultaneously. There's nothing preventing a Shinto shrine from being inside a Buddhist temple; clearly nobody is getting murdered over that. Conflicts revolved around influence (for instance, if a Shinto follower converted to Buddhism, and was still Shinto, they probably didn't double their income, so they have to cut their funding to the Shinto shrine so they can fund the Buddhist temple).

I've never head of the following sort of thing happening in religions other than Christianity:

The various massacres of Jerusalem in the Crusades by Christians, against people who essentially practiced an earlier form of their religion. Did they forget that Jesus and the original apostles were Jewish?

Crusades to kill off the Cathars (a Christian group in southern France, we get the term "kill them all, let god sort them out" from that event).

The Massacre of the Huguenots (French protestants) by French authorities. There were several wars between Protestants and Catholics, typically in northern Europe, as well as the United Kingdom.

The expulsion of the Sephardic Jews from Spain. Muslims were also expelled, but at least they had somewhere to go. When the Muslims ruled much of Spain, they treated Christians and Jews as second class citizens. The Christians and Jews had to pay extra taxes, but got to keep their churches and synagogues. When the Christians took over, they tore down mosques and later created the Inquisition, not to kill witches, but to punish any Jews or Muslims who pretended to convert to Christianity, which they had done to avoid persecution (we get words such as "converso", which applied to "former" Jews and Muslims, and "crypto Jew" from events like this).

Count Emicho's massacre of Jews on the way to the First Crusade. He didn't even make it out of Europe to get to the Middle East. (On the positive side, the local bishops actually sheltered the Jews in churches. Unfortunately Emicho's men broke in and massacred them anyway.) This link is how I first heard about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIs5B2U7US0

Anti-Jewish pogroms in Russia, which killed around a million Jews, prior to the Communist takeover in World War I. (The Communists, not being religious, put a stop to this. They even "allowed" Jews to join the party, but they could not rise beyond a certain rank. It wasn't a glass ceiling, since it wasn't secret, at least not at first. This was anti-Semitism, but with no religious basis.)

Of course, this doesn't apply to the vast majority of Christians living today. I used to go to church when I was younger, though, and heard many types of discrimination (mainly against women, by the time I started hearing about discrimination against gays and Muslims I had already left the church).

I have less knowledge about Islam, but just take a look at how some majority Muslim countries treat their female citizens, such as Saudi Arabia. They can drive now, but they must be accompanied by their husband or a male relative, which of course makes it difficult to escape the country. In Afghanistan, the Taliban prevented girls from being educated, and after they were defeated terrorists would sometimes throw acid on the faces of girls who dared to go to school. The Taliban rule had another nasty side effect: women could only get medical treatment from women, but there could be no female doctors without education. Many women died during childbirth, and presumably from other medical issues.

While Judaism is also a monotheistic religion, it generally keeps to itself. After the conquest of Canaan, the Jews generally made no attempt to conquer other people, convert other people, or impose their views on anyone else. When conquered, which happened frequently to the small area, they generally kept out of the way of the conquerors except when provoked... when they fought hard and, at the hands of the Romans, died hard. Even the settlements in modern Palestine seem more like "preventative colonization" (Macchiavelli talked about this, though not in the modern Israeli context) or spreading punishment too far rather than religious conflict (although of course many very religious Jews move into these settlements, giving some political support to these strategies).

Last edited by Kimera757; 05-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's the main reason I voted for negative. I don't think Christianity is any worse inherently than other religions. But I live in a country where Christianity is far more likely to be imposed into my life than any other religion.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM

I perceive Christianity as better than some other religions, worse than others. Not sure how that maps to the poll responses (both the first and third are true?), so I have not answered the poll.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 05-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Interesting. So far, 37% of the vote is "I view Christianity more negatively than I do other religions" and not a single vote so far has been for the positive option.

I already feel at least somewhat negatively about any and all religions. I think I would have more focus on any local religious practices but I think it's hard to escape the conclusion that Christianity is the largest religion on the planet and therefore has done the most harm.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-17-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Not enough poll choices. My stance is that I perceive the arrogant self-righteous anti-science anti-medicine moralizing evangelical sects of Christianity in a more negative light than I do sects of other religions that aren't openly opressive and willfully pig-ignorant. So, for instance, I view Southern Baptistism and Jehovah's Witnessism as among the most toxic cults on Earth but Uninerversalism as mostly harmless. So it isn't really Christianity vs Everything Else, it is sects of any religion with destructive aspect vs sects that are merely quaintly superstitious. I'd prefer the Dali Lama over Franklin Graham, but I'm fine with Fred Rodgers.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
If this is your view of Christianity, it's a pretty big straw man.
Or he might not have had same experiences dealing with Christians that you have?
Old 05-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Being Jewish, I voted negatively, since Christians haven't done my ancestors a lot of good for the past 1500 years or so. As for why it is worse than other religions, other religions encompass a lot of area. It's about the same as Islam, but Islam got a lot of ideas about how to spread from Christianity. There are lots of Asian and pagan religions that seem to get along with each other, and the world would be a better place if they were dominant.
I'm also an atheist, but that has nothing to do with my response. Lots of religions can be wrong without being bad.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:52 PM

I didn't vote; partly because in some cases I can distinguish an emotional reaction from a logical reaction; partly because there are a whole lot of religions I don't know enough about to have an opinion about them relative to any other religion; and partly because there are a whole lot of different types of Christians.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:38 PM

I have to admit that while I have studied other religions a little and have visited their places of worship (ex. a Buddhist monastery, Moslem mosque, Hindu temple, etc...) I dont know alot of people who are active in those faiths so I really dont know what to say.

I do like the gardens and aesthetics of the Asian religions.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I notice you didn't ask whether respondents observed any religion at all.

I happen to be a mainline Christian. WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I notice you didn't ask whether respondents observed any religion at all.

I happen to be a mainline Christian. WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!
"Mainline"?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Mainline"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainline_Protestant
Old 05-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Ah-Thank you.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Religion is the opioid crisis of the people.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Religion is the opioid crisis of the people.
Maybe in the old days that was true. Nowadays its fast, cheap food and cheap entertainment like tv and the internet.

No seriously. Your quote is from Marx right? But that was in the past. People arent going to riot in the streets if something good is on tv.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:44 PM

I feel like Christianity is a really good religion, maybe above average, but it's been hijacked by stark raving assholes.

Some of the best people I've ever known have been Christians, but that image is permanently tarnished by the fact that they haven't gone to war against the raving assholes in their sect.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I feel like Christianity is a really good religion, maybe above average, but it's been hijacked by stark raving assholes.

Some of the best people I've ever known have been Christians, but that image is permanently tarnished by the fact that they haven't gone to war against the raving assholes in their sect.
Do you think they are good people because they are Christians, or are they good people who also happen to be Christians?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:18 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

They're all crap, but of the major ones Islam is worse. Then Christianity. Religious fundamentalism seems to be attractive to people who score high on authoritarianism, so religion becomes a vehicle for bigotry and oppression.

Jainism isn't bad.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 05-17-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Do you think they are good people because they are Christians, or are they good people who also happen to be Christians?
If someone tells me that they do certain things because their religion demands it, then the religion gets the credit (or blame).

I am a thoroughly lapsed Christian but I know if you follow the literal teachings of Christ then you practice mercy, forgiveness, compassion, generosity, etc. Many people who call themselves Christians reject all of that and choose to focus entirely on things in the Old Testament that have nothing to do with Christ - vengeance, domination, retribution. So even if they call themselves Christian I don't blame the religion for that, because it's not Christianity.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 PM

I have a negative opinion of christianity for a variety of reasons, not least because I consider it demon worship. Its has a human sacrifice as a central part of the religion - a human sacrifice that the deity they worship approved of and accepted as a good thing! Even putting aside that the deity spent half their holy book killing people and sending plagues and pestilence hither and yon, the fact that he accepts a blood and pain-filled human sacrifice alone demonstrates that he's evil - or has a blue and orange morality that bears no resemblance to any real moral system. Worshiping such a creature is an immoral act - even if the creature is fictional!

I have much less exposure to and knowledge of other currently-practiced religions, and thus am not aware of whether any of them have similar acts of moral depravity on the part of their subjects of worship, and thus don't have as strong a revulsion for them and distrust of the morality of their followers. If I knew more about them I might be more repulsed, but for the moment ignorance is apathy.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:03 PM

I didn't answer because its it really depends on the subclass of the religion. Overall my rule of thumb is that I have no problem with religion, but I do with dogma, and bigotry.

For most branches of Christianity I have somewhere between form benign mediocre to slightly positive view. But when it comes to evangelic dogmatic fundamentalist views, we are right and everyone else is going to hell, my view turns strongly negative.

My view of non-Christian religions within the US is probably mostly positive, partially due to my love of multiculturalism. So learning that I am talking to a Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu is a generally positive revelation. Also that the fact that they are in the minority means that they are likely to be fairly willing to have a live and let live view of others outside their religion.

Outside of the US, however, I realize that each of these religions have the potential to be just as bad if not worse than Christianity in America. Militant theocratic Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and even Buddhists, can be as bad and often worse than the theocratic evangelicals of the religious right that we have here at home.

So even if you ask for a word association, gut reaction, to Christian vs non-Christain it is going to depend on context and my state of mind at the time.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
"They're all crap" would be how I sum up my point of view.
I always love it when a thread is answered in 1!

When I voted, "all the same," I was thinking about the belief system, not the way it is practiced by any particular individuals/groups. All religions are irrational and unnecessary, so in that respect, they are all the same. I guess if I were trying to assess the cumulative positive and negative impacts of various mythologies, I would be able to come up with some sort of a ranking system.

Come to think of it, I find many aspects of christianity very unpleasant and undesirable. As I understand it, several eastern religions lack the single vengeful onmipotent deity that punishes believers. The adea of fearing an angry God (not shared by ALL christians) is really distasteful. There are so many G/gods out there - I often wonder why someone would pick such an asshole.

So maybe I shoulda said worse - but I think I'm comfortable with just clumping all irrational beliefs together. Christianity = Judaism = Hindu = Islam = palmistry = witchcraft = etc.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
If someone tells me that they do certain things because their religion demands it, then the religion gets the credit (or blame).

I am a thoroughly lapsed Christian but I know if you follow the literal teachings of Christ then you practice mercy, forgiveness, compassion, generosity, etc. Many people who call themselves Christians reject all of that and choose to focus entirely on things in the Old Testament that have nothing to do with Christ - vengeance, domination, retribution. So even if they call themselves Christian I don't blame the religion for that, because it's not Christianity.
So people who don't follow the (literal) teachings of Christ are bad people?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
So people who don't follow the (literal) teachings of Christ are bad people?
Yeah, because that is literally what I said.

To be sufficiently clear, there are some people who focus on certain parts of the Old Testament as their model of how others should be treated. Racism, slavery, misogyny, war, vengeance, retribution, etc. If you follow those instructions, you're doing bad things and you're a bad person.

Contrast that with Christ's commandments to essentially ignore the Old Testament and be loving, kind, helpful, merciful, tolerant, forgiving, humble, etc... if you follow those instructions, those are good things and it makes you a good person.

I imagine there are other holy texts that similarly instruct people to do things good, bad, and nonsensical. I haven't had much personal experience with people telling me how their behavior is directed by other religions, so I can't speak to it.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 05-18-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:35 AM

I perceive Christian in more of a negative light because I've had more negative experiences with it than with other religions. Buddhist, Muslim, and Jewish proselytizers have never interrupted my weekend. And they don't litter my front porch with pamphlets. Members of other religions have never smugly condemned me to hell or preached to me sanctimoniously about what I'm doing wrong in my life. Members of other religions don't find it necessarily to inserts references to their religious beliefs in everyday discussions and debates. (I had a woman the other day tell me that of course psychics are real, because they are mentioned in the Bible.) And currently, it's only Christians who are trying to turn the US into a theocracy. Of course not all Christians are behind this, but it is undeniable that this is a Christian-driven movement.

However, I have no doubt that if another religion was the numerical majority and I had been force-fed it during my formative years, I would have a problem with it as well.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah, because that is literally what I said.
It was literally what you said. Here, I will quote you (underline mine):
Quote:

Quote:
To be sufficiently clear, there are some people who focus on certain parts of the Old Testament as their model of how others should be treated. Racism, slavery, misogyny, war, vengeance, retribution, etc. If you follow those instructions, you're doing bad things and you're a bad person.

Contrast that with Christ's commandments to essentially ignore the Old Testament and be loving, kind, helpful, merciful, tolerant, forgiving, humble, etc... if you follow those instructions, those are good things and it makes you a good person.

I imagine there are other holy texts that similarly instruct people to do things good, bad, and nonsensical. I haven't had much personal experience with people telling me how their behavior is directed by other religions, so I can't speak to it.
Jews follow the Old Testament and most value and honor the Golden Rule.

What about atheists? They don't follow any religious tenets. Are they good or bad?

What I'm suggesting is that there are good people and there are bad people in this world, and they choose how to behave and use whatever interpretation of religious text is handy to justify that behavior.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was literally what you said.
No, it is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denying_the_antecedent
Old 05-18-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I perceive Christianity as better than some other religions, worse than others. Not sure how that maps to the poll responses (both the first and third are true?), so I have not answered the poll.
I haven't voted for this reason also.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:24 AM

I found it hard to vote, because I know SO MUCH MORE about Christianity than about any other religion (except Judaism, which is my religion.) So, I know more good AND more bad. I voted "same".
Old 05-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
It doesn't strike me as being that nuanced of a response.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Which other religions? And, which Christianity?

Maybe I'm weird but I have different opinions both about different branches of Christianity and about other religions, and when I know enough about them I have different opinions about different branches of other religions. My opinions on Orthodox Christians, American-Style Evangelicals, Presbyterians and Catholics are different (and I also have different opinions about different subsections within Catholicism). My opinions on Jehova's Witnesses, Scientologists and Orthodox Jews are different. It's not "big homogeneous box marked Christianity" vs "huge homogeneous box marked Every Other Religion". Did not answer poll.

Last edited by Nava; 05-18-2019 at 12:46 PM.