View Poll Results: Your feelings about Christianity vs. feelings about other religions
I perceive Christianity in a more positive light than I perceive other religions. 25 14.62%
I perceive Christianity no differently than I perceive any other religion. 102 59.65%
I perceive Christianity in a more negative light than I perceive other religions. 44 25.73%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,558

Your feelings about Christianity vs. feelings about other religions


Curious to see poll results - since most Dopers are from nations that are (on the surface) majority Christian or at least have a Christian heritage. (It can often lead to the opposite effect/perception)
  #2  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:07 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 31,957
"They're all crap" would be how I sum up my point of view.
__________________
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

--Victor John Stenger
  #3  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:14 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,208
I don't believe that any organized religion has it right. I was born and raised Catholic, so my only opinions are about Christianity. The pastors of my grade school and my high school both were molesters, that's a fact. I remember some really nice nuns, and some old angry ones. What the church has done to cover up child abuse is reprehensible.
Other religions, I have no comment because I have no experience.
  #4  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Annie-Xmas is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 54,571
That's a hard one for me. Most of the religious people I've talked to have been okay, but the radical religious (rah-rah) Christians are absolutely the pits. They know their religious beliefs are facts, and every one who doesn't believe it is a child of the devil who is going to hell. Of course, you can live the worst life on the planet, and if you accept Jesus as your personal savior two seconds before you die, you're in heaven. Go figure.
  #5  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 5,118
As I was raised in the US, I have an awareness of the history of Christianity from teachings in church and school. This leaves me with impressions of how Christianity has been behind centuries of what I consider bad behavior to others (conquest, war, subjugation, colonialism, genocide).

I am not aware of the same bad behavior in the name of any number of other world religions. However, admittedly, I have not studied history that has provided me with stories that would leave me with those impressions.

Of course, stories about Islam have been repeated in the West that intend to paint a picture of bad behavior. But the poll is limited in options of comparing Christianity to "Other". So, when I lump Islam into "Other" along with Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Shinto, Judaism, etc., it is inaccurate to make a statement in the poll about "feelings" of "other religions" that covers all of these as one bucket.
  #6  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Quimby is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,334
I think religions bring a sense a of peace, structure, history and community to a lot of people and that is the good they do. Everything else is horrible and scary.

Last edited by Quimby; 05-17-2019 at 09:34 AM.
  #7  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Der Trihs's Avatar
Der Trihs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,800
"I perceive Christianity in a more negative light than I perceive other religions". Partly because it's the one I have to put up with, and partly because even as religions go it's especially unpleasant. It's all about despair and hate and death, and the loathing of any form of happiness that doesn't come from hurting or oppressing people.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 05-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.
  #8  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
As I was raised in the US, I have an awareness of the history of Christianity from teachings in church and school. This leaves me with impressions of how Christianity has been behind centuries of what I consider bad behavior to others (conquest, war, subjugation, colonialism, genocide).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
"I perceive Christianity in a more negative light than I perceive other religions". Partly because it's the one I have to put up with, and partly because even as religions go it's especially unpleasant. It's all about despair and hate and death, and the loathing of any form of happiness that doesn't come from hurting or oppressing people.
Christianity is also the religion that has been most successful at exporting itself to new cultures and geographic areas and thus, in my estimation, has done the most harm.
  #9  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 AM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,558
Interesting. So far, 37% of the vote is "I view Christianity more negatively than I do other religions" and not a single vote so far has been for the positive option.


For those of you who voted 'negative,' do you think you would feel this way about most or any religion if it were the dominant one in the nation you grew up in (i.e,. if you grew up in Saudi Arabia, you'd feel negatively about Islam, or Hinduism if you grew up in India?)
  #10  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I think religions bring a sense a of peace, structure, history and community to a lot of people and that is the good they do.
I think some people are naturally disposed to set up their lives this way and would do so in the absence of religion. Similarly, there are a few people who need a rule book in order to behave themselves, and there are a handful of people who will do any atrocity as long as It Is Written down somewhere that the atrocity is ok--again, with or without religion as the support.

Philosophy is good because it makes you look at the actual world and learn something about it, and from there you can build a set of principles to help you interact with it. And because you've come to those conclusions through effort you are more likely to internalize and live by them.

Religion sucks because it's a shortcut that just gives you answers without much exploration into why that is the answer. It gets really crazy when the answers you're using were developed by stone-age people the ancient Greeks would have considered semi-literate and unsophisticated at best, and the ancient Greeks were some kooky folks in their own right.
  #11  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW.
Posts: 12,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

For those of you who voted 'negative,' do you think you would feel this way about most or any religion if it were the dominant one in the nation you grew up in (i.e,. if you grew up in Saudi Arabia, you'd feel negatively about Islam, or Hinduism if you grew up in India?)
Probably. The other religion I know best is Judaism and I have a pretty negative view of that one too (the religion, not the ethnic group)
I'm sure the more I was exposed to any religion, the more negatively I would feel about it. As a wise man once said "they're all crap."
  #12  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
For those of you who voted 'negative,' do you think you would feel this way about most or any religion if it were the dominant one in the nation you grew up in (i.e,. if you grew up in Saudi Arabia, you'd feel negatively about Islam, or Hinduism if you grew up in India?)
I'm not sure, but I doubt it. In graduate school, I studied the spread of religion and growth of empires (whether and how they were connected). Christianity stands out for its aggression in using military power to spread, for its treatment of non-Christians, and for the general hypocrisy of its leaders vis-a-vis the tenets of the religion. I can point to other religions for some of these same faults, but Christianity leads the pack.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 05-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.
  #13  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:18 AM
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
"I perceive Christianity in a more negative light than I perceive other religions". Partly because it's the one I have to put up with, and partly because even as religions go it's especially unpleasant. It's all about despair and hate and death, and the loathing of any form of happiness that doesn't come from hurting or oppressing people.
Yeah, kind of this. Contrary to the proverbial preference for the devil that you know, I think many of us have a special abhorrence for the nasty institutions we're most familiar with.

Not that I haven't had mutually respectful conversations with self-identifying Christians, including Polycarp on this board back in the day.

My intellectual take on the matter, as distinguished from gut-level reactions (as much as possible at any rate) is that any organized and codified religion is antithetical to everything spiritual in the same sense that euthanasia and taxidermy aren't very compatible with life. To the extent that "spiritual" means anything that is actually genuinely worthwhile, it references a lot of processes that can't be specified and written down in a book of truth nor spoken of authoritatively by someone that is defined as one who should be automatically believed, or represented by a clergy that is distinguished from the laity. Or that has an official orthodoxy in any shape way fashion or form. But having said that, the ills of Christianity could and can and do manifest in all the other orthodoxies and to that end they're all bad news.

I myself am not an atheist. I use theistic language and do so non-cynically, non-sarcastically, to refer to aspects of experience I consider quite real. But all attempts to codify that have backfired spectacularly.
  #14  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:33 AM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,772
Christianity speaks more to me and my experiences but I don't really see it as all that different from the other choices out there in general terms. All can be equally abused.
  #15  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
It's all about despair and hate and death, and the loathing of any form of happiness that doesn't come from hurting or oppressing people.

If this is your view of Christianity, it's a pretty big straw man.
  #16  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:54 AM
ZipperJJ's Avatar
ZipperJJ is online now
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 25,316
I'm a Christian and have read about other religions. I feel that people have acted extraordinarily positively and negatively based on their religion, in all religions. I don't think Christianity is any different.
  #17  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:06 AM
senoy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,830
I think that the negative feelings are largely that we are familiar with Christianity and that it is still a cultural force. It's also a 'safe' religion to bash since we consider ourselves culturally Christian, so anti-Christian language is tolerated and in many circles celebrated in ways that anti-other religious language would not be. We can talk about violent expansion of Christianity, but largely it hasn't been particularly bad. Christianity via Rome became the dominant religion of Europe and as Europe expanded, it took religion with it. Sometimes that involved violence, but more frequently, it involved groups adopting Christianity to access European power. This isn't to pretend that Christianity hasn't had its bloody episodes, but it's a 2000 year old religion that is followed by 1/3 of the world and the only part of the world that we actually learn about in history (We all know about the Crusades, but no one is particularly familiar with the Ikko-ikki rebellion.) so it's not surprising that it has a bloody history. Pretty much every belief system does (including lack of belief-the Reign of Terror wasn't called that because it was all about happiness and joy)

I think that we have to remember that religion is what created society. It solidified social bonds and allowed non-familial groupings to come together under a shared ethos. Looking at Gobekli Tepe, it is theorized that organized religion pre-dates agriculture and may in fact be the reason that we have agriculture and society as a whole. The history of humanity is the history of religion. It's not surprising then that religion figures prominently in all of the atrocious crap that we do to each other, but nor should it be excluded from all of the awesome stuff we have done either. Christianity is no different other than it happens to be bigger and more traditionally held by the world's dominant powers over the last half millennia.
  #18  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Living Well Is Best Revenge is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 3,425
I voted negative, but mainly because of the evangelical wing. There are plenty of good Christians out there.
  #19  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 43,729
All religions are based on irrationality. Some include some valid ethical teachings, but are ultimately grounded in fairy tales.
  #20  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Kimera757 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 507
I voted negatively.

I'm an atheist, but my view of Christianity (and Islam) are worse than other religions due to the following rule: "thou shall have no other gods before me". That creates a lot of religious intolerance, missionaries such as John Allen Chau, and historically resulted in numerous invasions, forced conversions, and massacres.

The schisms also resulted in lots of massacres, although I'm not entirely sure how that compares to certain other religions.

When I compare Christianity to, say, Japanese religions, there's a huge difference in religious tolerance. In Japan, there are two main religions, Shinto and Buddhism. When Buddhism established itself in Japan, there was a civil war, so clearly the possibility of religious violence and intolerance were there, but afterward things calmed down. There's nothing preventing an individual Japanese person from being Buddhist and Shinto simultaneously. There's nothing preventing a Shinto shrine from being inside a Buddhist temple; clearly nobody is getting murdered over that. Conflicts revolved around influence (for instance, if a Shinto follower converted to Buddhism, and was still Shinto, they probably didn't double their income, so they have to cut their funding to the Shinto shrine so they can fund the Buddhist temple).

I've never head of the following sort of thing happening in religions other than Christianity:

The various massacres of Jerusalem in the Crusades by Christians, against people who essentially practiced an earlier form of their religion. Did they forget that Jesus and the original apostles were Jewish?

Crusades to kill off the Cathars (a Christian group in southern France, we get the term "kill them all, let god sort them out" from that event).

The Massacre of the Huguenots (French protestants) by French authorities. There were several wars between Protestants and Catholics, typically in northern Europe, as well as the United Kingdom.

The expulsion of the Sephardic Jews from Spain. Muslims were also expelled, but at least they had somewhere to go. When the Muslims ruled much of Spain, they treated Christians and Jews as second class citizens. The Christians and Jews had to pay extra taxes, but got to keep their churches and synagogues. When the Christians took over, they tore down mosques and later created the Inquisition, not to kill witches, but to punish any Jews or Muslims who pretended to convert to Christianity, which they had done to avoid persecution (we get words such as "converso", which applied to "former" Jews and Muslims, and "crypto Jew" from events like this).

Count Emicho's massacre of Jews on the way to the First Crusade. He didn't even make it out of Europe to get to the Middle East. (On the positive side, the local bishops actually sheltered the Jews in churches. Unfortunately Emicho's men broke in and massacred them anyway.) This link is how I first heard about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIs5B2U7US0

Anti-Jewish pogroms in Russia, which killed around a million Jews, prior to the Communist takeover in World War I. (The Communists, not being religious, put a stop to this. They even "allowed" Jews to join the party, but they could not rise beyond a certain rank. It wasn't a glass ceiling, since it wasn't secret, at least not at first. This was anti-Semitism, but with no religious basis.)

Of course, this doesn't apply to the vast majority of Christians living today. I used to go to church when I was younger, though, and heard many types of discrimination (mainly against women, by the time I started hearing about discrimination against gays and Muslims I had already left the church).

I have less knowledge about Islam, but just take a look at how some majority Muslim countries treat their female citizens, such as Saudi Arabia. They can drive now, but they must be accompanied by their husband or a male relative, which of course makes it difficult to escape the country. In Afghanistan, the Taliban prevented girls from being educated, and after they were defeated terrorists would sometimes throw acid on the faces of girls who dared to go to school. The Taliban rule had another nasty side effect: women could only get medical treatment from women, but there could be no female doctors without education. Many women died during childbirth, and presumably from other medical issues.

While Judaism is also a monotheistic religion, it generally keeps to itself. After the conquest of Canaan, the Jews generally made no attempt to conquer other people, convert other people, or impose their views on anyone else. When conquered, which happened frequently to the small area, they generally kept out of the way of the conquerors except when provoked... when they fought hard and, at the hands of the Romans, died hard. Even the settlements in modern Palestine seem more like "preventative colonization" (Macchiavelli talked about this, though not in the modern Israeli context) or spreading punishment too far rather than religious conflict (although of course many very religious Jews move into these settlements, giving some political support to these strategies).

Last edited by Kimera757; 05-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.
  #21  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 80,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
For those of you who voted 'negative,' do you think you would feel this way about most or any religion if it were the dominant one in the nation you grew up in (i.e,. if you grew up in Saudi Arabia, you'd feel negatively about Islam, or Hinduism if you grew up in India?)
That's the main reason I voted for negative. I don't think Christianity is any worse inherently than other religions. But I live in a country where Christianity is far more likely to be imposed into my life than any other religion.
  #22  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:51 PM
iamthewalrus(:3= is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 11,819
I perceive Christianity as better than some other religions, worse than others. Not sure how that maps to the poll responses (both the first and third are true?), so I have not answered the poll.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 05-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
  #23  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Interesting. So far, 37% of the vote is "I view Christianity more negatively than I do other religions" and not a single vote so far has been for the positive option.


For those of you who voted 'negative,' do you think you would feel this way about most or any religion if it were the dominant one in the nation you grew up in (i.e,. if you grew up in Saudi Arabia, you'd feel negatively about Islam, or Hinduism if you grew up in India?)
I already feel at least somewhat negatively about any and all religions. I think I would have more focus on any local religious practices but I think it's hard to escape the conclusion that Christianity is the largest religion on the planet and therefore has done the most harm.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-17-2019 at 12:53 PM.
  #24  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:55 PM
Darren Garrison's Avatar
Darren Garrison is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 10,932
Not enough poll choices. My stance is that I perceive the arrogant self-righteous anti-science anti-medicine moralizing evangelical sects of Christianity in a more negative light than I do sects of other religions that aren't openly opressive and willfully pig-ignorant. So, for instance, I view Southern Baptistism and Jehovah's Witnessism as among the most toxic cults on Earth but Uninerversalism as mostly harmless. So it isn't really Christianity vs Everything Else, it is sects of any religion with destructive aspect vs sects that are merely quaintly superstitious. I'd prefer the Dali Lama over Franklin Graham, but I'm fine with Fred Rodgers.
  #25  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
If this is your view of Christianity, it's a pretty big straw man.
Or he might not have had same experiences dealing with Christians that you have?
  #26  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Voyager's Avatar
Voyager is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deep Space
Posts: 45,937
Being Jewish, I voted negatively, since Christians haven't done my ancestors a lot of good for the past 1500 years or so. As for why it is worse than other religions, other religions encompass a lot of area. It's about the same as Islam, but Islam got a lot of ideas about how to spread from Christianity. There are lots of Asian and pagan religions that seem to get along with each other, and the world would be a better place if they were dominant.
I'm also an atheist, but that has nothing to do with my response. Lots of religions can be wrong without being bad.
  #27  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:52 PM
thorny locust is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 703
I didn't vote; partly because in some cases I can distinguish an emotional reaction from a logical reaction; partly because there are a whole lot of religions I don't know enough about to have an opinion about them relative to any other religion; and partly because there are a whole lot of different types of Christians.
  #28  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,431
I have to admit that while I have studied other religions a little and have visited their places of worship (ex. a Buddhist monastery, Moslem mosque, Hindu temple, etc...) I dont know alot of people who are active in those faiths so I really dont know what to say.

I do like the gardens and aesthetics of the Asian religions.
  #29  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:40 PM
Kent Clark's Avatar
Kent Clark is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 26,180
I notice you didn't ask whether respondents observed any religion at all.

I happen to be a mainline Christian. WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!
  #30  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I notice you didn't ask whether respondents observed any religion at all.

I happen to be a mainline Christian. WE'RE NUMBER ONE! WE'RE NUMBER ONE!
"Mainline"?
  #31  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 26,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
"Mainline"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainline_Protestant
  #32  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 61,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Ah-Thank you.
  #33  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:09 PM
don't ask is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 18,242
Religion is the opioid crisis of the people.
  #34  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Urbanredneck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Religion is the opioid crisis of the people.
Maybe in the old days that was true. Nowadays its fast, cheap food and cheap entertainment like tv and the internet.

No seriously. Your quote is from Marx right? But that was in the past. People arent going to riot in the streets if something good is on tv.
  #35  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:44 PM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,129
I feel like Christianity is a really good religion, maybe above average, but it's been hijacked by stark raving assholes.

Some of the best people I've ever known have been Christians, but that image is permanently tarnished by the fact that they haven't gone to war against the raving assholes in their sect.
  #36  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:54 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I feel like Christianity is a really good religion, maybe above average, but it's been hijacked by stark raving assholes.

Some of the best people I've ever known have been Christians, but that image is permanently tarnished by the fact that they haven't gone to war against the raving assholes in their sect.
Do you think they are good people because they are Christians, or are they good people who also happen to be Christians?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #37  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Wesley Clark is offline
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,988
They're all crap, but of the major ones Islam is worse. Then Christianity. Religious fundamentalism seems to be attractive to people who score high on authoritarianism, so religion becomes a vehicle for bigotry and oppression.

Jainism isn't bad.
__________________
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to sparkle motion

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 05-17-2019 at 05:19 PM.
  #38  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 PM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Do you think they are good people because they are Christians, or are they good people who also happen to be Christians?
If someone tells me that they do certain things because their religion demands it, then the religion gets the credit (or blame).

I am a thoroughly lapsed Christian but I know if you follow the literal teachings of Christ then you practice mercy, forgiveness, compassion, generosity, etc. Many people who call themselves Christians reject all of that and choose to focus entirely on things in the Old Testament that have nothing to do with Christ - vengeance, domination, retribution. So even if they call themselves Christian I don't blame the religion for that, because it's not Christianity.
  #39  
Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 12,592
I have a negative opinion of christianity for a variety of reasons, not least because I consider it demon worship. Its has a human sacrifice as a central part of the religion - a human sacrifice that the deity they worship approved of and accepted as a good thing! Even putting aside that the deity spent half their holy book killing people and sending plagues and pestilence hither and yon, the fact that he accepts a blood and pain-filled human sacrifice alone demonstrates that he's evil - or has a blue and orange morality that bears no resemblance to any real moral system. Worshiping such a creature is an immoral act - even if the creature is fictional!

I have much less exposure to and knowledge of other currently-practiced religions, and thus am not aware of whether any of them have similar acts of moral depravity on the part of their subjects of worship, and thus don't have as strong a revulsion for them and distrust of the morality of their followers. If I knew more about them I might be more repulsed, but for the moment ignorance is apathy.
  #40  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,781
I didn't answer because its it really depends on the subclass of the religion. Overall my rule of thumb is that I have no problem with religion, but I do with dogma, and bigotry.

For most branches of Christianity I have somewhere between form benign mediocre to slightly positive view. But when it comes to evangelic dogmatic fundamentalist views, we are right and everyone else is going to hell, my view turns strongly negative.

My view of non-Christian religions within the US is probably mostly positive, partially due to my love of multiculturalism. So learning that I am talking to a Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu is a generally positive revelation. Also that the fact that they are in the minority means that they are likely to be fairly willing to have a live and let live view of others outside their religion.

Outside of the US, however, I realize that each of these religions have the potential to be just as bad if not worse than Christianity in America. Militant theocratic Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and even Buddhists, can be as bad and often worse than the theocratic evangelicals of the religious right that we have here at home.

So even if you ask for a word association, gut reaction, to Christian vs non-Christain it is going to depend on context and my state of mind at the time.
  #41  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:24 PM
Dinsdale is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
"They're all crap" would be how I sum up my point of view.
I always love it when a thread is answered in 1!

When I voted, "all the same," I was thinking about the belief system, not the way it is practiced by any particular individuals/groups. All religions are irrational and unnecessary, so in that respect, they are all the same. I guess if I were trying to assess the cumulative positive and negative impacts of various mythologies, I would be able to come up with some sort of a ranking system.

Come to think of it, I find many aspects of christianity very unpleasant and undesirable. As I understand it, several eastern religions lack the single vengeful onmipotent deity that punishes believers. The adea of fearing an angry God (not shared by ALL christians) is really distasteful. There are so many G/gods out there - I often wonder why someone would pick such an asshole.

So maybe I shoulda said worse - but I think I'm comfortable with just clumping all irrational beliefs together. Christianity = Judaism = Hindu = Islam = palmistry = witchcraft = etc.
__________________
I used to be disgusted.
Now I try to be amused.
  #42  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:47 PM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
If someone tells me that they do certain things because their religion demands it, then the religion gets the credit (or blame).

I am a thoroughly lapsed Christian but I know if you follow the literal teachings of Christ then you practice mercy, forgiveness, compassion, generosity, etc. Many people who call themselves Christians reject all of that and choose to focus entirely on things in the Old Testament that have nothing to do with Christ - vengeance, domination, retribution. So even if they call themselves Christian I don't blame the religion for that, because it's not Christianity.
So people who don't follow the (literal) teachings of Christ are bad people?
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #43  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:04 AM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
So people who don't follow the (literal) teachings of Christ are bad people?
Yeah, because that is literally what I said.

To be sufficiently clear, there are some people who focus on certain parts of the Old Testament as their model of how others should be treated. Racism, slavery, misogyny, war, vengeance, retribution, etc. If you follow those instructions, you're doing bad things and you're a bad person.

Contrast that with Christ's commandments to essentially ignore the Old Testament and be loving, kind, helpful, merciful, tolerant, forgiving, humble, etc... if you follow those instructions, those are good things and it makes you a good person.

I imagine there are other holy texts that similarly instruct people to do things good, bad, and nonsensical. I haven't had much personal experience with people telling me how their behavior is directed by other religions, so I can't speak to it.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 05-18-2019 at 08:07 AM.
  #44  
Old 05-18-2019, 08:35 AM
monstro is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 20,521
I perceive Christian in more of a negative light because I've had more negative experiences with it than with other religions. Buddhist, Muslim, and Jewish proselytizers have never interrupted my weekend. And they don't litter my front porch with pamphlets. Members of other religions have never smugly condemned me to hell or preached to me sanctimoniously about what I'm doing wrong in my life. Members of other religions don't find it necessarily to inserts references to their religious beliefs in everyday discussions and debates. (I had a woman the other day tell me that of course psychics are real, because they are mentioned in the Bible.) And currently, it's only Christians who are trying to turn the US into a theocracy. Of course not all Christians are behind this, but it is undeniable that this is a Christian-driven movement.

However, I have no doubt that if another religion was the numerical majority and I had been force-fed it during my formative years, I would have a problem with it as well.
  #45  
Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
Yeah, because that is literally what I said.
It was literally what you said. Here, I will quote you (underline mine):
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I am a thoroughly lapsed Christian but I know if you follow the literal teachings of Christ then you practice mercy, forgiveness, compassion, generosity, etc. Many people who call themselves Christians reject all of that and choose to focus entirely on things in the Old Testament that have nothing to do with Christ - vengeance, domination, retribution. So even if they call themselves Christian I don't blame the religion for that, because it's not Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
To be sufficiently clear, there are some people who focus on certain parts of the Old Testament as their model of how others should be treated. Racism, slavery, misogyny, war, vengeance, retribution, etc. If you follow those instructions, you're doing bad things and you're a bad person.

Contrast that with Christ's commandments to essentially ignore the Old Testament and be loving, kind, helpful, merciful, tolerant, forgiving, humble, etc... if you follow those instructions, those are good things and it makes you a good person.

I imagine there are other holy texts that similarly instruct people to do things good, bad, and nonsensical. I haven't had much personal experience with people telling me how their behavior is directed by other religions, so I can't speak to it.
Jews follow the Old Testament and most value and honor the Golden Rule.

What about atheists? They don't follow any religious tenets. Are they good or bad?

What I'm suggesting is that there are good people and there are bad people in this world, and they choose how to behave and use whatever interpretation of religious text is handy to justify that behavior.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #46  
Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 26,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
It was literally what you said.
No, it is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denying_the_antecedent
  #47  
Old 05-18-2019, 10:20 AM
elfkin477 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 22,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I perceive Christianity as better than some other religions, worse than others. Not sure how that maps to the poll responses (both the first and third are true?), so I have not answered the poll.
I haven't voted for this reason also.
__________________
Stalk follow me on Twitter
  #48  
Old 05-18-2019, 10:24 AM
puzzlegal's Avatar
puzzlegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,382
I found it hard to vote, because I know SO MUCH MORE about Christianity than about any other religion (except Judaism, which is my religion.) So, I know more good AND more bad. I voted "same".
  #49  
Old 05-18-2019, 10:37 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
It doesn't strike me as being that nuanced of a response.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #50  
Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 41,841
Which other religions? And, which Christianity?

Maybe I'm weird but I have different opinions both about different branches of Christianity and about other religions, and when I know enough about them I have different opinions about different branches of other religions. My opinions on Orthodox Christians, American-Style Evangelicals, Presbyterians and Catholics are different (and I also have different opinions about different subsections within Catholicism). My opinions on Jehova's Witnesses, Scientologists and Orthodox Jews are different. It's not "big homogeneous box marked Christianity" vs "huge homogeneous box marked Every Other Religion". Did not answer poll.

Last edited by Nava; 05-18-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017