Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

"Whaddaya mean the Ukrainian server is in a cloud? Go get it and bring it here!"
Old 12-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Puns are bad enough, but now you're riffing on cow noises? Low.
Can't prove it.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:32 PM

I didn't hear Turley's statement, just the news summary recaps: but it sounds like his problem isn't whether or not the offense is impeachable, but whether or not the evidence is convincing that the crime actually occurred.

If so, I'd love to have a congressperson ask him to confirm that. "If a hypothetical president asked a foreign leader to assist in his election in exchange for something...would you consider that an impeachable offense?"
Old 12-04-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I didn't hear Turley's statement, just the news summary recaps: but it sounds like his problem isn't whether or not the offense is impeachable, but whether or not the evidence is convincing that the crime actually occurred.

If so, I'd love to have a congressperson ask him to confirm that. "If a hypothetical president asked a foreign leader to assist in his election in exchange for something...would you consider that an impeachable offense?"
I've been listening off and on and in general his schtick is that he doesn't think that what Trump did is kosher, but he doesn't think it's a crime and he certainly doesn't think it's impeachable. The country is divided, see, and we're all angry, and this is moving way too fast, so we should just drop it and move on.

Under questioning, though, he seems to be willing to agree with whatever ridiculous nonsense the Republicans throw his way, so who knows.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see what you did there.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
The question is moot.
Quote:
That attempt at humor was a flop for both of you...
Old 12-04-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Today's Q&A with the constitutional scholars was a fascinating tutorial on the law of the land. Even the Republican shill had interesting things to say. The pubbies on the committee, of course, used their time to grandstand and sputter "but...but...Bidens!"
I think vast majority of Trump fans are not going to care about professors opinions. Except maybe the one who was not in favor of impeachment.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
You've milked this situation for all it's worth. Nothing to see here, please moove along...
Old 12-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running with Scissors View Post
You've milked this situation for all it's worth. Nothing to see here, please moove along...
Cud you all just knock it off?
Old 12-04-2019, 06:23 PM

This bovine hijack is udderly appalling!
Old 12-04-2019, 06:26 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Cud you all just knock it off?
Don't have a cow, man!
Old 12-04-2019, 06:54 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
"Whaddaya mean the Ukrainian server is in a cloud? Go get it and bring it here!"
"Get me the Air Force!"
Old 12-04-2019, 06:56 PM

I got a beef with all you heifers. Steer it back on topic before the mods prod you.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:33 PM

What kind of bull is this? I really gotta ox the question...
Old 12-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
(Collins) seems to be a bit smarter than Jordan (a low bar), but his dignity and morals are about the same.
He finds it "interesting". He found many things "interesting". I was struck by his limited choice of words and phrasings but assume he must be intelligent to be where he is. So let me ask: do he and Jordan always sound like this - loud, angry, and proudly boorish? Or is it an act for their voters?

ETA: I am basing my observations on his opening statement. I haven't seen (yet) anything he might have said later.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 12-04-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Today's Q&A with the constitutional scholars was a fascinating tutorial on the law of the land. Even the Republican shill had interesting things to say. The pubbies on the committee, of course, used their time to grandstand and sputter "but...but...Bidens!"
I'll give Turley his due: he's one of the few Republican defenders who's actually thought out how to develop a cogent defense
Old 12-04-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I got a beef with all you heifers. Steer it back on topic before the mods prod you.
Reported for Junior Mooing!
Old 12-04-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I'll give Turley his due: he's one of the few Republican defenders who's actually thought out how to develop a cogent defense
Turley's defense of Trump was 'you Dems cannot impeach because you haven't heard from the witnesses Trump won't allow to testify.'

"Cogent" is not the word I would use.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Turley's defense of Trump was 'you Dems cannot impeach because you haven't heard from the witnesses Trump won't allow to testify.'

"Cogent" is not the word I would use.
Except that the courts haven't ruled on whether they're compelled to testify. I'm not saying I subscribe to Turley's line of reasoning, but it at least dresses itself up like an argument that could be made.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Except that the courts haven't ruled on whether they're compelled to testify. I'm not saying I subscribe to Turley's line of reasoning, but it at least dresses itself up like an argument that could be made.
They shouldn’t have to rule. Trump himself has said that he would like for them to testify. Of course, he also said that he’d like to release his tax returns, talk to Mueller, and that Mexico would pay for the wall.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
What kind of bull is this? I really gotta ox the question...
It's quite the scandal in Jersey. Someone call Woodward and Holstein.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Why not use a real gotcha? Ask him "If President Obama had asked a foreign leader to provide him with information about a political opponent in an upcoming election, would you have considered that an impeachable offense?"

Because you know if you make the question about Obama, Trump will be dumb enough to say it's impeachable.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Why not use a real gotcha? Ask him "If President Obama had asked a foreign leader to provide him with information about a political opponent in an upcoming election, would you have considered that an impeachable offense?"

Because you know if you make the question about Obama, Trump will be dumb enough to say it's impeachable.
It wouldn’t help. They thought Obama was a foreign leader.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
It's my understanding that the courts don't need to rule. The House has the sole power of impeachment. They are holding an impeachment inquiry. Why is Turley saying we have to wait on the courts to decide if these people are required to answer subpoenas from the House in regards to an impeachment inquiry? I just don't see the need for anyone to ratify their power. It is. It exists. There's not a question. They can debate whether or not they should answer specific questions, but they have to show up. That's just a plain fact. No court ruling needed.

I agree that Turley at least spoke rationally. More than I can say for the folks on the Right.

For example, did you know that in most of the states that elected the democratic Representatives, they also voted for Clinton in 2016? That dramatic point was made, with charts!, to prove that Democratic House members on the committee were elected by people who *gasp* didn't vote for Trump at all! It's like it's a conspiracy he uncovered!
Old 12-05-2019, 03:03 AM

Kudos to Pamela Karlan for owning up to her remark about Barron. I've heard more awful things said in public discourse, but I'll still give a nod Pam's way.
And, she concluded, it would be nice for Trump to apologize for some of the things he's done that's wrong.
Karlan added that she'd also like a well-endowed, sabre-toothed unicorn with flame-throwing MagnaFlow Exhaust System, four-foot-high spoiler and six-pack abs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Boy I thought Jordan was a Donald Dick Sucker, but this guy Collins has him beat.
Those two - along with Devin Psycho Eyes Nunez - would make a more appropriate three-headed hydra in that drawing that made the rounds a couple weeks back, with the heads of Schumer, Pelosi and (I think) Ginsberg replacing those of some fantasy film characters from a film I can't remmeber, and can't find right now on the internet.

So on to Monday, and getting this goofy IG shit out of the way with.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Dumb move by Karlan, for the sake of a bad pun, to invoke pearl-clutching faux outrage over the privacy of a minor. By Gad she even caused the First Lady to sit up and take notice.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:39 AM

Some day there'll be a Catholic school named for Melania: Our Lady Of Perpetual Victimhood. Give me a fucking break- she said Donald could name is son Barron but could not make him a Baron. How will Barron ever recover? Boo fucking hoo.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:41 AM

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/p...es-impeachment

Pelosi directs House Judiciary committee to draft articles of impeachment
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Kudos to Pamela Karlan for owning up to her remark about Barron. I've heard more awful things said in public discourse, but I'll still give a nod Pam's way.
What was there for her to own to though? She didn't insult the kid, merely mentioned that he exists and confirmed the fact that he can't be given a title like he would be given in a monarchy.

Melania's outrage is disproportionate. Barron will be politicized whether she likes it or not and she's got Rush Limbaugh to thank for that. But thank you Melania, for telegraphing yet another one of your family's weaknesses. All this impeachment stuff is a risky gamble but frothing Trump into a heart attack would solve everything.

Apropos of nothing, Barron is 13 now? Wow, he sure is growing up fast. I hope he didn't get his definition of consent from his father.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
udderly charming
Old 12-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
What was there for her to own to though? She didn't insult the kid, merely mentioned that he exists and confirmed the fact that he can't be given a title like he would be given in a monarchy.

Melania's outrage is disproportionate.
Hell, I doubt Melania actually even wrote the tweet. It just reeks of political victimhood- nobody can look at what Karlan said and see it as a threat, and Trump "politicized" Barron when he took office.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
"When Congress decides that certain criminal conduct does not rise to the level of impeachable offenses, it is defining a permissible parameter for future presidential conduct."

Jonathan Turley, 1998, before his prefrontal cortex was wiped and reloaded
From here.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Some day there'll be a Catholic school named for Melania: Our Lady Of Perpetual Victimhood. Give me a fucking break- she said Donald could name is son Barron but could not make him a Baron. How will Barron ever recover? Boo fucking hoo.
This.

Josh Marshall:
Quote:
Perhaps better left unsaid but not remotely hostile or disrespectful. Be honest, Trumpism is a victim and grievance cult
Old 12-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Apropos of nothing, Barron is 13 now? Wow, he sure is growing up fast. I hope he didn't get his definition of consent from his father.
Are bone spurs hereditary?
Old 12-05-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
If trump had asked the Ukrainians to divert a couple mill of that military aid into a certain numbered Swiss bank account, that would be undeniably impeachable conduct. This is worse because A.) Staying in the presidency does mean the continued ability to enrich himself at the public trough and may even be his only means of maintaining his liberty. B.) Undermining the free election process is a greater offense against the nation than simply lining one's own pockets.
Solid post.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Clinton operatives obviously picked Nunes pocket called Parnas, and then carefully replaced the phone to his pocket before he noticed it was gone, on each of those 4 separate occasions. Jeez, connect that dots sheeple!
wouldn't you know that some on fox news did claim that other people were using nunes phone during the "alleged" calls. apparently some are claiming that rudi used nunes phone to call parnes.

yep, things are going far down the naked mole rat hole.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:34 PM

I sometimes wonder if Trump actually knows or accepts that he did anything wrong in regards to Ukraine.

Like a spoiled and enabled child is constantly assured by his parents that anything bad is not his fault, that everyone else is just jealous or mean, or the system is rigged, or that the teacher obviously hates him, Trump is constantly assured by his lackeys that he's omnipotent, bulletproof, and in the right and that the Democrats are jealous and mean, the system is rigged against him, and the press obviously hates him.

The original coverup came from White House lawyers locking down the transcript and the Justice Department burying the whistleblower complaint, as far as I understand it, not from the President trying to cover up what he did. He even released the transcript against all advice and said, "Ah ha! See? Nothing here!" as if he really believed it. The continuing obstruction boils down to Trump saying the democrats are mean and unfair and he doesn't have to play with them, with all of his (deeply implicated) advisors telling him that he's absolutely right. The press doesn't agree, but they obviously hate him and don't matter. His rallies are filled with cheering fans, they matter. Would the other Republicans be supporting him if he was wrong? Obviously not, he thinks! Therefore he's right!

The way he keeps harping on "read the transcript!" and seems genuinely unable to comprehend how anyone who does could still see anything wrong leads me to think he believes his own press. He was outraged that any Republicans could even go so far as to say it was bad, but not impeachable. I think he actually feels that since he didn't overtly say that there was a quid pro quo, that there wasn't. There was just diplomacy and deal-making.

He's still wrong, and guilty, and an idiot, but I'm starting to believe he's deluded enough to honestly not see it. That doesn't exonerate him, and certainly doesn't explain why the nominally rational adults in the room continue to enable this spoiled child.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulderMuffin View Post
I sometimes wonder if Trump actually knows or accepts that he did anything wrong in regards to Ukraine.

Like a spoiled and enabled child is constantly assured by his parents that anything bad is not his fault, that everyone else is just jealous or mean, or the system is rigged, or that the teacher obviously hates him, Trump is constantly assured by his lackeys that he's omnipotent, bulletproof, and in the right and that the Democrats are jealous and mean, the system is rigged against him, and the press obviously hates him.

The original coverup came from White House lawyers locking down the transcript and the Justice Department burying the whistleblower complaint, as far as I understand it, not from the President trying to cover up what he did. He even released the transcript against all advice and said, "Ah ha! See? Nothing here!" as if he really believed it. The continuing obstruction boils down to Trump saying the democrats are mean and unfair and he doesn't have to play with them, with all of his (deeply implicated) advisors telling him that he's absolutely right. The press doesn't agree, but they obviously hate him and don't matter. His rallies are filled with cheering fans, they matter. Would the other Republicans be supporting him if he was wrong? Obviously not, he thinks! Therefore he's right!

The way he keeps harping on "read the transcript!" and seems genuinely unable to comprehend how anyone who does could still see anything wrong leads me to think he believes his own press. He was outraged that any Republicans could even go so far as to say it was bad, but not impeachable. I think he actually feels that since he didn't overtly say that there was a quid pro quo, that there wasn't. There was just diplomacy and deal-making.

He's still wrong, and guilty, and an idiot, but I'm starting to believe he's deluded enough to honestly not see it. That doesn't exonerate him, and certainly doesn't explain why the nominally rational adults in the room continue to enable this spoiled child.
He is so used to throwing his 'weight' around like that in his business dealings - and never getting called on it - that he probably does not see it for what it is. Seperately - he is only concerned with his own 'wins' - that he cannot seperate what 'he' wants with what the country needs.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/p...es-impeachment

Pelosi directs House Judiciary committee to draft articles of impeachment
So the hearings are over?
Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
The inquiry is over.

Now they'll put forth articles of impeachment and begin debate over whether to vote for them. There may possibly be new interviews during this phase, or they may rely on the depositions already in evidence.

If impeachment articles are voted for, there may also be additional hearings in the Senate.

I think we'll still be hearing from some people who haven't yet been interviewed.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:

I think about this a lot. Not in regards to Ukraine specifically, but his crap in general all along. He's gotten away with EVERYTHING his entire life. How has he not faced any criminal charges or lost business licenses? He lies, he threatens, he pays his way out of things. To be held accountable after 7+ decades must actually, from his shriveled little brain's perspective, be stunning and hard to comprehend. It probably DOES feel like a witch hunt or he's being persecuted. Why should he get in trouble now for what he's done all along? Why aren't the things he normally does allowed now of all times?

He's not smart enough to realize that this time he has 300 million bosses and that he is more visible. Keeping his head down and just being a FOX news guest wouldn't have invited this level of scrutiny. And the options of crimes? They've expanded so he's doing more of them.

It's a perfect storm of being sheltered and unaccountable his whole life plus being a terrible human being who isn't very smart or introspective.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
The hearings are over with respect to this impeachment inquiry. However, I expect investigations will continue and further public hearings will occur. Just as the Mueller investigation constituted one investigation, and the Ukraine matter constituted another investigation, it's almost beyond comprehension that more wrongdoing by Trump won't come to light and require further investigation and oversight.

What if a review of his tax returns reveal long-term, widespread money laundering for the Russians?

What if, as has already been hinted at, Russian oligarchs are the co-signers on his big loans with Deutsche Bank, and we learn they basically own him?

What if we discover he has also done a quid pro quo with the House of Saud, say, troop support in exchange for 2020 election subversion?

Dems won't stop, and they shouldn't. But getting this impeachment process in the works is extremely important, given the urgent concerns over the upcoming election.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:

I wonder that like I sometimes wonder whether the sun rises in the east. You are absolutely positively 100% correct, of course. This was true for the 2016 interference as well. Trump sees absolutely no light between “what is good for him” and “what is good for the country”. To him, what is good for the country is for Trump to be president for the next 5 years, at least. And the end justifies the means, no matter what they are. And unfortunately, his supporters feel the same way. That’s why the entire Republican Party is engaging in such highly outrageous gaslighting.

And, it’s different from other similar scandals in one major way — Trump’s absolute and total lack of contrition, or even an awareness that his actions were wrong. And I’ll pose this to any conservatives that may be reading......it’s killing you deep inside, isn’t it? It would be so easy to make this go away. One press conference, turn on the charm and talk about how business is different from government and you got carried away, one apology to the American people and Zelensky, and poof......goodbye. But no, instead he’s making you say stupid stuff like “No, I don’t think Trumps focus on Hunter and Joe Biden is related in any way to Biden’s candidacy” with a straight face.

Oh yeah, one more news tidbit. Zelensky IS cleaning up corruption, and he started by firing a prosecutor that has been working with Giuliani. Not Shokin and Lutsenko, that’s old news, but the 3rd Musketeer of corrupt Ukrainian prosecutors, Kulyk.

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-to-f.../30272137.html

Wonder how that will go over with the White House / Russia alliance. Will they try to withhold more aid? Stay tuned for the next episode.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Are bone spurs hereditary?
All things being equal I truly, genuinely wish Barron well. If the kid has an ounce of situational awareness he probably does not want to grow up to be anything like his father. And no matter what happens over the next few years, his life is going to be fucked up in all manner of ways.

How about this for poetic justice? Barron Trump, entirely despite his father's influence, grows up to be a decent human being and eventually decides to run for office... as a Democrat. He tells detailed stories about watching his father burn the country down and how he knew from a young age that it was his duty to clean up the old man's mess.

Well, one can hope.

Also, regarding Nunes and his supposed butt-dials... isn't that a secure phone? Like not the kind of thing you are going to hand to strangers who are going to make a bunch of calls to Ukrainian gangsters? If Nunes wants to claim those calls happened on accident he's welcome to try but it doesn't make him look any better.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:15 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
"Get me the Air Force!"
"No, wait. Didn't I create a Space Force? I did? Get them!"

Quote:
...How about this for poetic justice? Barron Trump, entirely despite his father's influence, grows up to be a decent human being and eventually decides to run for office... as a Democrat. He tells detailed stories about watching his father burn the country down and how he knew from a young age that it was his duty to clean up the old man's mess.

Well, one can hope....
Ron Reagan Jr. kinda sorta took that path.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
How about this for poetic justice? Barron Trump, entirely despite his father's influence, grows up to be a decent human being and eventually decides to run for office... as a Democrat.
That would be as likely as Sergei Khrushchev, son of Nikita, moving to America and becoming an capitalist American citizen.

Oh wait a minute ...
Old 12-06-2019, 01:00 AM

A review of the Constitutional legalities of the Executive branch refusing to comply with subpoenas, by Lawfare:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/revisiti...chment-inquiry

The first argument in favor of the White House, as I understand it, basically says that the White House is immune from statute so obstruction laws don't apply. But, more specifically, the immunity arises from the separation of powers and the special status of the Executive as being self-governing as the default, and only affected by law if the law specifically states that it applies to the President and/or the Executive branch's activities.

I feel like it should be pointed out that this is the same logic by which things like the Hatch Act are Constitutional, rather than usurping the First Amendment rights of the members of the Executive Branch. The Bill of Rights pertains to the rights of "the people". The government is not "the people".

So if we must accept that the Executive is immune to statute on the basis of his special status then, likewise, due process does not apply. The President has no implicit 5th Amendment rights, nor do any of the people who are refusing their subpoenas.

Fundamentally, if you want to take the hard core view that the Executive is a distinct entity, separate from citizens and legal obligations, then you cannot pick and choose on that. You not only lose the normal legal obligations, you also lose your legal rights.

The OLC opinion of immunity is not actually an opinion of immunity, it's an opinion of minimalism. If the Constitution and law clearly state that something applies to the Executive, then it applies to the Executive. If it does not, though, then there is no right nor obligation for the Executive. It's all Old West, all the time, hangings on the gallows on the White House lawn.

The Democrats might consider leaning into rather than push against the Barr/Cippolone view of the matter.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 12-06-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:07 AM

Continued:

Trump can refuse to comply and stonewall, using the legal system. But, likewise, Congress can throw his people in jail with little to no cause and those individuals will have to fight their way out through the long slow process of the legal system. And they may not win as there are no protections against Congress under impeachment and you are not citizens with the rights of an every day American.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 12-06-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I think about this a lot. Not in regards to Ukraine specifically, but his crap in general all along.
Trump knows that the things he does are wrong, because those are always the things that he accuses others of doing. It's like clockwork: reflexive, childish projection, to distract the public. Whatever accusation Trump makes is exactly what he himself is doing.

However, his socio-pathology doesn't have a clear-cut, objective sense of right and wrong. When he is the one doing something, it can't be wrong, no matter what it is. It's only wrong if others do it.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

This question has been asked of a number of trump defenders, and I believe every time they have refused to answer the question. "I won't answer a question about a hypothetical that the president didn't do".
Because even they realize that if they were to agree that that behaviour is impeachable, that would come back to haunt them when inevitably the defence shifts over to acknowledging he did it but arguing that it is not impeachable (I think we're more or less there now, it's just that trump keeps denying it, so his supporters are trying to find a position in between a rock and an all the evidence).

Of course, how things would proceed in an ideal world, is that anyone watching such a response on TV, would realize what a cop-out answer it is, and what it implies about the president's guilt and the interviewee's tacit acceptance of it.
Unfortunately we live in the bizarre alternate reality where much of the american public has had a very localized stroke and are incapable of such epiphanies.

Obviously trump himself is not smart enough to dodge this particular bullet, but so what? He's dumb enough to incriminate himself without anyone even asking him any questions.

Last edited by Mijin; 12-06-2019 at 04:15 AM.