Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #601  
Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 AM
davida03801 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,481
The problem with Fox News is that the left cannot stand even one network that does not toe the line in what they think is acceptable.

The natural instant of the mid to far left now (in my observation the last 10 years or so) is to shout out or shut down anyone who does not agree with them.
  #602  
Old 10-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
The problem with Fox News is that the left cannot stand even one network that does not toe the line in what they think is acceptable.

The natural instant of the mid to far left now (in my observation the last 10 years or so) is to shout out or shut down anyone who does not agree with them.
Oh look, another person who needs to read the thread. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...&postcount=307
  #603  
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
The problem with Fox News is that the left cannot stand even one network that does not toe the line in what they think is acceptable.
Do you think think that shenanigans that have been described in this thread that have been done by Fox News are acceptable?
  #604  
Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 AM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
The natural instant of the mid to far left now (in my observation the last 10 years or so) is to shout out or shut down anyone who does not agree with them.
How do you square your observations with the continued success of FOXNews and the Murdoch empire, Limbaugh and EIB, and the ongoing proliferation of right-wing talk radio? I'm not seeing a lot of shouting out or shutting up.
  #605  
Old 10-30-2014, 10:26 AM
davida03801 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Do you think think that shenanigans that have been described in this thread that have been done by Fox News are acceptable?
The shenanigans by Fox News are no better, nor worse, than the ones pulled by all the other news outlets. They all pull shenanigans. They all are biased and they all pull shenanigans one way or another to support their bias. News is, and always has been, a consumer beware commodity.

I am not a right wing ideologue either. I have views that would get me thrown out of a gathering of a group of the tea party, deranged gun toting, cross bearing, righties. I also have other views that would have me thrown out of a gathering of the ACLU card bearing, Muslim loving, constitution hating lefties.

I am middle of the road and I donít buy into the bullshit that is spouted out by either of the far wings on the right or left.

However I do feel that a tactic of the left side on the political spectrum is to shout out, and try to shut down anyone who disagrees with them.

See it all the time. Can't be the only one.
  #606  
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM
msmith537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
The problem with Fox News is that the left cannot stand even one network that does not toe the line in what they think is acceptable.

The natural instant of the mid to far left now (in my observation the last 10 years or so) is to shout out or shut down anyone who does not agree with them.

No, the problem is that there seems to be a growing trend in this country that all opinions are valid, regardless if they are supported by facts, figures, science or reality. Fox News is a symptom of that trend. It panders to Middle Americans who like to get enraged whenever they are presented with something that contradicts what they already "know" to true, based on their "common sense".


Not to mention that Fox News feels like watching a grown up version of a bunch of jocks discussing their poly-sci homework with their sorority girlfriends.
  #607  
Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
However I do feel that a tactic of the left side on the political spectrum is to shout out, and try to shut down anyone who disagrees with them.

See it all the time. Can't be the only one.


You actually claim that the screamers like O'Reilly at FOX that do that to the guests that disagree with him is not common on the right?

In any case the ones that tell you that you did not read the thread are correct, I even linked to studies, from right wing think thanks even, that found that FOX is only reaching for false equivalences.
  #608  
Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
The shenanigans by Fox News are no better, nor worse, than the ones pulled by all the other news outlets. They all pull shenanigans. They all are biased and they all pull shenanigans one way or another to support their bias.
I don't know where this lazy idea came from that we can just assume that all sides do it equally, when there is no evidence that it is so. Do you think that there is some sort of natural law that prevents one side from being worse than the other, The Law Of Balance Of News Morality? It doesn't exist. If any other news outlet pulled the outrageous crap Fox has pulled over the years, don't you think there would be equivalent stories out there about it?
Quote:
The shenanigans by Fox News are no better, nor worse, than the ones pulled by all the other news outlets.
Even here, you compare the posted crap pulled by one Fox network to the anonymous crap supposedly pulled by all the other unnamed networks, then wave your hands and say "one equals the other." Why don't you just go ahead and give us examples from one network that is as bad, and as frequent, as the ones from Fox News shown here?
  #609  
Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
No, the problem is that there seems to be a growing trend in this country that all opinions are valid, regardless if they are supported by facts, figures, science or reality. Fox News is a symptom of that trend. It panders to Middle Americans who like to get enraged whenever they are presented with something that contradicts what they already "know" to true, based on their "common sense".
Nicely said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I don't know where this lazy idea came from that we can just assume that all sides do it equally, when there is no evidence that it is so. Do you think that there is some sort of natural law that prevents one side from being worse than the other, The Law Of Balance Of News Morality? It doesn't exist. If any other news outlet pulled the outrageous crap Fox has pulled over the years, don't you think there would be equivalent stories out there about it?
Maybe it's just one of those things that he "knows" to be true based on his "common sense".
  #610  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:42 PM
davida03801 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,481
Amazing. Reading the above I am now informed that all the other news outlets, in the shenanigans department, are free of sin.

Sorry, not buying that dog food.
  #611  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
I am not a right wing ideologue either. I have views that would get me thrown out of a gathering of a group of the tea party, deranged gun toting, cross bearing, righties. I also have other views that would have me thrown out of a gathering of the ACLU card bearing, Muslim loving, constitution hating lefties.
Where are these "Constitution-hating lefties" you speak of?
  #612  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
Amazing. Reading the above I am now informed that all the other news outlets, in the shenanigans department, are free of sin.

Sorry, not buying that dog food.
Amazing. Reading the above I am now informed that you did not understand what you read.
  #613  
Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Knorf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Living the Dream
Posts: 8,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
I also have other views that would have me thrown out of a gathering of the ACLU card bearing, Muslim loving, constitution hating lefties.
Based on this comment, it appears that you have no understanding whatsoever of what the ACLU stands for.

Last edited by Knorf; 10-30-2014 at 12:54 PM.
  #614  
Old 10-30-2014, 02:09 PM
74westy's Avatar
74westy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Where are these "Constitution-hating lefties" you speak of?
This is a totally awesome comment coming from you.
  #615  
Old 10-30-2014, 02:27 PM
lost4life is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Southeast of something
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
Amazing. Reading the above I am now informed that all the other news outlets, in the shenanigans department, are free of sin.
That was beautiful, man. I'm just not creative enough to get the hidden messages of these posts.
  #616  
Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM
msmith537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 27,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
I am not a right wing ideologue either. I have views that would get me thrown out of a gathering of a group of the tea party, deranged gun toting, cross bearing, righties. I also have other views that would have me thrown out of a gathering of the ACLU card bearing, Muslim loving, constitution hating lefties.
If one of your views is "I like to eat dog food", I'm not surprised.

Last edited by msmith537; 10-30-2014 at 02:52 PM.
  #617  
Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM
John_Stamos'_Left_Ear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
Amazing. Reading the above I am now informed that all the other news outlets, in the shenanigans department, are free of sin.

Sorry, not buying that dog food.
Nice strawman. Nobody brought up anything about anything being free of sin until you did. What has been said is that Fox News is demonstratively full of crap compared to it's peers.

Don't agree? This entire thread is filled with evidence. Post some evidence of your own.

If all you have is strawman and no evidence, it's possible your position is incorrect.
  #618  
Old 11-21-2014, 01:40 PM
John_Stamos'_Left_Ear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,664

More evidence why Fox News is really all that bad


Fox morning program Fox And Friends is against Obama not doing something. Until he does it. Then they're against him doing it:

Quote:
The hosts of Fox & Friends were incensed that President Obama quoted scripture in a primetime address detailing his upcoming executive action on immigration, challenging him to a "scripture-showdown" and claiming it's "repugnant" for Obama to "lecture us on Christian faith." But just 48 hours earlier, the Fox hosts were lamenting that Obama doesn't make public expressions of his Christian faith often enough.

Obama quoted lines from the Bible in a November 20 address... His use of scripture did not sit well with the hosts of Fox & Friends the next day. Co-host Tucker Carlson called it "repugnant" and argued, "For this guy specifically, the president who spent his career defending late-term abortion, among other things, lecturing us on Christian faith? That's too much. That is too much." Elisabeth Hasselbeck attempted to rebut the scripture Obama used with scripture of her own, quoting verses from Proverbs and saying she is "going to get into a scripture-showdown." According to Hasselbeck, Obama used the Bible to guilt people into supporting his executive action, and that's "not what the scholars behind the Bible would interpret as proper use, perhaps."

On November 19, the hosts promoted a "fiery" online op-ed penned by Chuck Norris, echoing his outrage that Obama had not publicly opposed a local school district's decision to remove references to religious holidays on the schools' calendars. The hosts then aired video of former President Ronald Reagan talking about Christmas and his Christian faith, saying, "Chuck Norris' point was, remember the time when American presidents weren't afraid to talk about traditional values, as Ronald Reagan did back in 1981." Hasselbeck remarked that Reagan's religious rhetoric gave her goosebumps.

Media Matters
Yes, there is bias - Obama bad! - but the issue isn't the bias. It's how that bias alters their coverage.

Even this, on a show that is ostensibly commentary and not news, where fact-finders are not at play since it's a matter of opinion, the network shows why they are really all that bad.
  #619  
Old 11-22-2014, 06:21 PM
TonySinclair is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,713
As noted in another thread:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/1...-entire-report

The Republican-chaired House Intelligence Committee investigation into Benghazi concluded that there was no wrongdoing or coverup by the Obama administration. All the other major news outlets reported that, e.g. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...use-probe.html.

Fox's account had a meaningless side issue for the headline, and misleadingly stressed that the report concluded that there was no protest before the attack, while not mentioning that the report acknowledged that at the time Susan Rice gave her summary of intelligence findings on TV, there were several reports of a protest, from many sources. Fox completely ignored the main conclusion, i.e. no coverup by the administration.

I don't know what could make it more clear that Fox is for right-wing propaganda, not news. They don't even pretend to be objective any more.
  #620  
Old 11-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Cardboard is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 341
"Is Fox News really all that bad?"

No. It is really no different than any of the other news channels (including the "moderate" CNN).

But liberals need go-to boogeymen.

Fox News is one of them.

The Koch Brothers are another.

Sarah Palin was, but her time has passed.
  #621  
Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 PM
tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 40,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
"Is Fox News really all that bad?"

No. It is really no different than any of the other news channels (including the "moderate" CNN.
Of course not. After all the evidence presented in this thread, you're going to go with that line. Some opinions are just impervious to facts, I guess.
  #622  
Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 60,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
No. It is really no different than any of the other news channels (including the "moderate" CNN).
This is factually inaccurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
Of course not. After all the evidence presented in this thread, you're going to go with that line. Some opinions are just impervious to facts, I guess.
Or, what he said.
  #623  
Old 11-23-2014, 03:04 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
"Is Fox News really all that bad?"

No. It is really no different than any of the other news channels (including the "moderate" CNN).

But liberals need go-to boogeymen.

Fox News is one of them.

The Koch Brothers are another.

Sarah Palin was, but her time has passed.
Then surely, you can find examples where other news channels have flubbed the reporting of a case in such a serious and clearly parisan manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
As noted in another thread:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/1...-entire-report

The Republican-chaired House Intelligence Committee investigation into Benghazi concluded that there was no wrongdoing or coverup by the Obama administration. All the other major news outlets reported that, e.g. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...use-probe.html.

Fox's account had a meaningless side issue for the headline, and misleadingly stressed that the report concluded that there was no protest before the attack, while not mentioning that the report acknowledged that at the time Susan Rice gave her summary of intelligence findings on TV, there were several reports of a protest, from many sources. Fox completely ignored the main conclusion, i.e. no coverup by the administration.

I don't know what could make it more clear that Fox is for right-wing propaganda, not news. They don't even pretend to be objective any more.
Cardboard, just read the thread. The "other people do it too" argument is vapid and baseless at this point. By any objective measure, FOX fails harder.

Last edited by Budget Player Cadet; 11-23-2014 at 03:05 AM.
  #624  
Old 11-24-2014, 12:28 AM
John_Stamos'_Left_Ear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,664
That seems to happen a lot this thread. It gets revived and suddenly some new Fox News Fanboy barges in and decrees that both sides are equally bad, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there are several hundred posts of evidence in the thread itself that make such a statement demonstratively false.

tomndebb said it best: "Some opinions are just impervious to facts, I guess."
  #625  
Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Fuzzy_wuzzy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
That seems to happen a lot this thread. It gets revived and suddenly some new Fox News Fanboy barges in and decrees that both sides are equally bad, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there are several hundred posts of evidence in the thread itself that make such a statement demonstratively false.

tomndebb said it best: "Some opinions are just impervious to facts, I guess."
Fox News fanboy barging in. When I say im a fanboy that's only half true. I don't get Fox News and I dont watch it. I have not read the thread so dont know if this has been covered. I think stories such as Jonathan Gruber are exactly why Fox News is needed, as are other news outlets that dont necessarily toe the centrist politician line. This goes for MSNBC and RT, though RT is stretching credibility imo. Most news outlets didn't touch the Gruber story. Only later was it occasionally brought up by other networks. Fox on the other hand did run with it from early on. I believe it was a legitimate story that would have went unheard had Fox not been around to report on it(and at times exaggerate it).
  #626  
Old 11-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Hentor the Barbarian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
Fox News fanboy barging in. When I say im a fanboy that's only half true. I don't get Fox News and I dont watch it. I have not read the thread so dont know if this has been covered. I think stories such as Jonathan Gruber are exactly why Fox News is needed, as are other news outlets that dont necessarily toe the centrist politician line. This goes for MSNBC and RT, though RT is stretching credibility imo. Most news outlets didn't touch the Gruber story. Only later was it occasionally brought up by other networks. Fox on the other hand did run with it from early on. I believe it was a legitimate story that would have went unheard had Fox not been around to report on it(and at times exaggerate it).
If you haven't read the thread and don't watch Fox News, how can you offer an opinion about this discussion?

If you don't watch Fox News, how do you know how they covered the Gruber discussion?

Really, you're making your own gravy here.
  #627  
Old 11-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
though RT is stretching credibility imo.
They had AIDS denialist Liam Scheff on for an interview. This sentence only works if "stretching" means "completely without even the slightest modicum of".
  #628  
Old 11-24-2014, 09:40 AM
CGav8r is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Dodge City
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Then surely, you can find examples where other news channels have flubbed the reporting of a case in such a serious and clearly parisan manner?



Cardboard, just read the thread. The "other people do it too" argument is vapid and baseless at this point. By any objective measure, FOX fails harder.
Sorry if I'm reiterating a point made earlier, but this is what Fox (and the GOP) do quite well. The idea is that others do it and we are reporting the other side, so really "it's just a wash".

-"So some scientists claim there is human cause for climate change. But others say differently. I guess it's just a wash, and we'll never really know."
  #629  
Old 11-24-2014, 09:52 AM
BobLibDem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Home 07 NCAA HockeyChamps
Posts: 21,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGav8r View Post
Sorry if I'm reiterating a point made earlier, but this is what Fox (and the GOP) do quite well. The idea is that others do it and we are reporting the other side, so really "it's just a wash".

-"So some scientists claim there is human cause for climate change. But others say differently. I guess it's just a wash, and we'll never really know."
Absolutely spot on. When anybody says "I just hate it when both sides distort the news" that's a win for the Republicans. Both sides don't do it.
  #630  
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Fuzzy_wuzzy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
If you haven't read the thread and don't watch Fox News, how can you offer an opinion about this discussion?

If you don't watch Fox News, how do you know how they covered the Gruber discussion?

Really, you're making your own gravy here.
I do read political blogs. I know roughly the proportion of times Gruber was mentioned on US news shows. Fox discussed him far more often than the others did. CNN mentioned the story a few times, NBC and ABC very little. In fact I believe either NBC or ABC have all but ignored the story.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...-779-msnbc-79/

I also tried to watch clip coverage on the internet. Fox News clips showed up far more often than any other newtork.

You really will need to try harder before thinking you have "skewered" me, or, at least think before posting.
  #631  
Old 11-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
I do read political blogs. I know roughly the proportion of times Gruber was mentioned on US news shows. Fox discussed him far more often than the others did. CNN mentioned the story a few times, NBC and ABC very little. In fact I believe either NBC or ABC have all but ignored the story.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...-779-msnbc-79/

I also tried to watch clip coverage on the internet. Fox News clips showed up far more often than any other newtork.

You really will need to try harder before thinking you have "skewered" me, or, at least think before posting.
So, in other words, CNN, NBC and ABC did discuss the issue an appropriate amount, while Foxnews discussed it ad nauseum.

Whereas, the current Benghazi report showing there was absolutely no conspiracy was discussed on CNN, NBC and ABC an appropriate amount, while Foxnews discussed it not at all.
  #632  
Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by davida03801 View Post
Amazing. Reading the above I am now informed that all the other news outlets, in the shenanigans department, are free of sin.

Sorry, not buying that dog food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Amazing. Reading the above I am now informed that you did not understand what you read.
Aye, I can't see that davida03801's post shows any signs of reading comprehension or the ability to draw valid conclusions from existing evidence. In fact, his post comes across as having no real relation to what he claims to have read and appears to almost revel in it's ignorance.
  #633  
Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Fuzzy_wuzzy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
So, in other words, CNN, NBC and ABC did discuss the issue an appropriate amount, while Foxnews discussed it ad nauseum.

Whereas, the current Benghazi report showing there was absolutely no conspiracy was discussed on CNN, NBC and ABC an appropriate amount, while Foxnews discussed it not at all.
Your being far too rigid in what you insist as "an appropriate" amount. The appropriate level of coverage is in the eye of the viewer and network. A legitimate argument can be made that had Fox not ran with the story it would have remained a non story; that other networks were latterly dragged kicking and screaming into covering the story. This is not specific to Grubergate. Many such stories emerge this way. Still, if you are suggesting Fox discussed the story ad nauseum then thats a fair enough criticism. However, this does not mean all other networks subsequently covered it enough.
  #634  
Old 11-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Donald Rump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
Your being far too rigid in what you insist as "an appropriate" amount. The appropriate level of coverage is in the eye of the viewer and network. A legitimate argument can be made that had Fox not ran with the story it would have remained a non story; that other networks were latterly dragged kicking and screaming into covering the story. This is not specific to Grubergate. Many such stories emerge this way. Still, if you are suggesting Fox discussed the story ad nauseum then thats a fair enough criticism. However, this does not mean all other networks subsequently covered it enough.
This diversion into Gruber's comments (or Benghazi, for that matter) is silly. The relative appropriateness of Fox's level of coverage of /a given story/ vs other networks is irrelevant to whether /on average/ it tends to promote more misinformation than other outlets. Obviously, every network is going to get it wrong at least some of the time. Suppose the MSM got Gruber wrong. So what?

If you dispute the validity of the studies cited up thread, that would be a fair argument.

FTR, I believe Fox have Gruber's comments more attention than they deserved, but that's neither here nor there.
  #635  
Old 11-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 60,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
Your being far too rigid in what you insist as "an appropriate" amount. The appropriate level of coverage is in the eye of the viewer and network. A legitimate argument can be made that had Fox not ran with the story it would have remained a non story; that other networks were latterly dragged kicking and screaming into covering the story. This is not specific to Grubergate. Many such stories emerge this way. Still, if you are suggesting Fox discussed the story ad nauseum then thats a fair enough criticism. However, this does not mean all other networks subsequently covered it enough.
Grubergate?
Nah, you don't follow Fox News.
  #636  
Old 11-24-2014, 02:01 PM
John_Stamos'_Left_Ear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
A legitimate argument can be made that had Fox not ran with the story it would have remained a non story; that other networks were latterly dragged kicking and screaming into covering the story.
This is what Fox News apologists like to say about things. However, the things that they say it about almost always wind up, in hindsight, to be non-stories.

It's not like Fox News is Woodward & Bernstein here. The kinds of stories that Fox News covered to the point that other mainstream media outlets were "forced" to report?

Benghazi. The Birth Certificate. Total non-stories that they not only kept alive past their expiration dates, but whose reporting on said non-stories has led a decent number of people maintaining that Obama was not born here.
  #637  
Old 11-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 60,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear View Post
reporting on said non-stories has led a decent number of people maintaining that Obama was not born here.
Oh, yeah? Well the rules were different when Hawaii was made a state, and the current ones can't be applied retroactively! And Hawaii was illegally annexed, so it's not a state anyway. And Hawaiian courts display U.S. flags with gold fringe on them! And Obama wasn't born in Hawaii anyway. He was born in Kenya, and there's original HD video of the birth! And everyone who claims to have seen the original birth certificate is lying! And...

*head explodes*
  #638  
Old 11-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Robot Arm is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Oh, yeah? Well the rules were different when Hawaii was made a state, and the current ones can't be applied retroactively! And Hawaii was illegally annexed, so it's not a state anyway. And Hawaiian courts display U.S. flags with gold fringe on them! And Obama wasn't born in Hawaii anyway. He was born in Kenya, and there's original HD video of the birth! And everyone who claims to have seen the original birth certificate is lying! And...
Of course the Panama Canal Zone is fine, why do you ask?
  #639  
Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
Your being far too rigid in what you insist as "an appropriate" amount. The appropriate level of coverage is in the eye of the viewer and network. A legitimate argument can be made that had Fox not ran with the story it would have remained a non story; that other networks were latterly dragged kicking and screaming into covering the story. This is not specific to Grubergate. Many such stories emerge this way. Still, if you are suggesting Fox discussed the story ad nauseum then thats a fair enough criticism. However, this does not mean all other networks subsequently covered it enough.
Had you made those same graphs about "Benghazi Conspiracy" it would have looked exactly the same as this; 10000 fold more discussion on Fox than CNN, NBC, ABC. And, now, as we know with certainty, CNN, NBC and ABC gave it the appropriate dismissal as a non-story from the beginning.
  #640  
Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
Your being far too rigid in what you insist as "an appropriate" amount. The appropriate level of coverage is in the eye of the viewer and network.
No, it isn't. The appropriate level of coverage, what is covered, how it's covered, and the accuracy with which it's presented can all be objectively judged by the resulting knowledge and beliefs of the viewership about demonstrably objective facts. And in those terms Fox News viewers fare the worst of any network viewers. Amazingly, but not surprisingly, they got more answers wrong on factual questions than people who watched no news at all -- Fox News is mendaciously worse than useless, because they were constantly fed distortions and manufactured pseudo-news (like the famous question-mark headlines, or the equally famous "people are now saying that ..." when the only people who actually said it were Fox News pundits the previous night, etc.). Hey, when your sworn mission and sole responsibility is to be the ruthlessly unscrupulous public relations arm of the Republican Party, truth and accuracy are the first casualties. "Truth -- we hardly knew ye!" would be a fine motto for Fox News. The fact that this abomination even exists in a modern democracy is a fascinating case study in media.
  #641  
Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 60,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Oh, yeah? Well the rules were different when Hawaii was made a state, and the current ones can't be applied retroactively! And Hawaii was illegally annexed, so it's not a state anyway. And Hawaiian courts display U.S. flags with gold fringe on them! And Obama wasn't born in Hawaii anyway. He was born in Kenya, and there's original HD video of the birth! And everyone who claims to have seen the original birth certificate is lying! And...

*head explodes*
Of course the Panama Canal Zone is fine, why do you ask?
Benghazi!
  #642  
Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_wuzzy View Post
A legitimate argument can be made that had Fox not ran with the story it would have remained a non story; that other networks were latterly dragged kicking and screaming into covering the story. This is not specific to Grubergate. Many such stories emerge this way.
Yeah! Like Benghazigate! Or Deathspiralgate! Or Birthergate! Or...


...Seriously. The stories that FOX turns into stories by force of repetition have this consistent way of turning out to be total crap. Their track record is abysmal. What's this story? "Someone involved with obamacare said some less than friendly things about the american populace"? Wow, sounds like a real bombshell with real ramifications that would totally matter if people never heard about it!

  #643  
Old 11-24-2014, 04:26 PM
tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 40,812

Moderating


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Aye, I can't see that davida03801's post shows any signs of reading comprehension or the ability to draw valid conclusions from existing evidence. In fact, his post comes across as having no real relation to what he claims to have read and appears to almost revel in it's ignorance.
This post had no purpose in this thread. It is nothing more than an attack on a poster that does not even address the issues of the thread, itself.
While it may have just missed including a direct personal insult, a repetition of this behavior will incur a Warning.

[ /Moderating ]
  #644  
Old 11-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Aeschines is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 6,759
Wow, this thread is still alive?

Since I did the OP, more FOX News has entered my system via osmosis, and I do think it is pretty bad. But TV news in general kinda sucks, so I avoid it on all channels.
  #645  
Old 11-25-2014, 12:57 PM
davida03801 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,481
Ahh Snowboarder Bo, bless your heart. I have to admit this thread constantly amuses me, and your post is more of the same.

Due to the holiday, no time this week to reply to your disparage. Therefore I shall wish you a good Thanksgiving, and enjoy time with your family.

Last edited by davida03801; 11-25-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: got the profile name mixed up and replaced
  #646  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:24 PM
TonySinclair is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Yeah! Like Benghazigate! Or Deathspiralgate! Or Birthergate! Or...
...Seriously. The stories that FOX turns into stories by force of repetition have this consistent way of turning out to be total crap.
Which is why, especially in real life but sometimes even on the Dope, most of the reasons that people I argue with give for voting Republican are completely false. Not just loony stuff like death panels and mandatory Sharia law, but even more mundane stuff like "the economy is shrinking, the deficit keeps going up, etc."

People who regularly listen to Fox News and RW radio simply have a "fact" base that has no connection with reality.
  #647  
Old 11-25-2014, 07:53 PM
EdwinAmi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 370
Quote:
No matter what, it seems to reinforce the status quo. Keep calm and carry on, as the Brits used to say. No huge need for change
speaking of using bad definitions for "conservative/liberal", as it stands now, at least in America, the liberals are for maintaining the status quo, and the conservatives are the ones pushing for change. Public schools, public unions, overbearing medical and environmental regulation, singular overbearing monetary/banking policy, federal instead of state power, etc., these are all liberal-backed things that have been the law of the land for the past 40+ years

Conservatives, really rather rightists, meld into libertarians, who are so radical and audacious that we want to LEAVE PEOPLE THE HELL ALONE. I know, maniacs, aren't we?
  #648  
Old 11-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinAmi View Post
Conservatives, really rather rightists, meld into libertarians, who are so radical and audacious that we want to LEAVE PEOPLE THE HELL ALONE. I know, maniacs, aren't we?
Uniformly pro-choice, are you?

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 11-25-2014 at 08:28 PM.
  #649  
Old 11-25-2014, 08:32 PM
callander is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 267
Is FOX news really that bad? Yes it is as is CNN. They both have agendas. Fox is right wing extremist and CNN is home for the liberal extremist.

Last edited by callander; 11-25-2014 at 08:32 PM.
  #650  
Old 11-25-2014, 08:34 PM
jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 37,123
"Both sides do it!"

The home of the lazy thinker.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017