View Poll Results: What are your high priority Christmas traditions?
Decorating a tree 72 57.60%
An advent calendar 8 6.40%
Egg nog 20 16.00%
Decorating your house interior with knick-knacks and tchotchkes 40 32.00%
Putting up a nativity/creche 13 10.40%
Putting up exterior lights/decor 32 25.60%
Taking the kids to see Santa 6 4.80%
Giving gifts 80 64.00%
Receiving gifts 45 36.00%
Sending Christmas cards 24 19.20%
Attending (or throwing) a party 10 8.00%
Feasting on the holiday (incl Xmas Eve) with family & friends 66 52.80%
Going to church services 20 16.00%
Going caroling 4 3.20%
Listening to recorded xmas music (streaming, radio, CDs) 55 44.00%
Attending a theater/musical holiday-themed live performance 8 6.40%
Watching holiday specials/movies on TV 53 42.40%
Other (please elaborate) 22 17.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2019, 04:06 PM

What Christmas traditions are important to you?

It doesn't feel like Christmas to me until I have a tree up, and I'm sipping egg nog from a cute little Spode Christmas Tree mug, while watching A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim, Muppets or Mr Magoo).

Similarly: on Dec 1 I fished my advent calendar out of storage so I could start the countdown, even though we weren't ready to start full-blown decorating yet.

(I'm a grown-ass middle-aged man, btw)

So I thought I'd post a poll. I just threw together all the possible traditions I could think of. I didn't see a way to limit the number of choices, so pick the 5 (or so) that you can't live without. If it's very child-centric and you no longer have children around the house ... answer as if you did.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:07 PM

I had to vote "Other", because you didn't have an option for "None".

Christmas is one of those things I struggle to tolerate, and wish would just be over as quickly as possible.

That said, perhaps time off work could be considered a Christmas tradition; that's certainly my highest priority.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge777 View Post
That said, perhaps time off work could be considered a Christmas tradition; that's certainly my highest priority.
Ha, yes! That's the one thing I truly look forward to every year. It's really the only slow time I get at work and I am taking an extra week of vacation to celebrate!

I voted for egg nog in the poll because that's the one thing on the list that also comes around only at this time of year that I enjoy.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:18 PM

I'm agnostic but baptized RCC. We never did the advent calendar. I won't do the church stuff. I like eggnog but it isn't important. The family get together is the best part. I enjoy decorating the tree and outside.

I tossed the old tree after last Christmas, I was expecting to move. So after 25 years we have a new tree. It is decorated.

Christmas Cookies is a tradition that could be added to the poll.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:25 PM

You forgot "kissing under a mistletoe", but probably no one here does that anymore.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Another vote for "None of the above."
Old 12-10-2019, 06:48 PM

I try to be embracing and inclusive, but if you don't celebrate Christmas (either in a religious or secular sense) I don't know why you'd want to participate in a poll about Christmas traditions that are important to you. There's a term for that, but I'm not a junior mod.

I definitely would have included mistletoe if I'd thought of it. I also meant to include "Driving around neighborhoods where everybody decorates, and look at their lights" but forgot. And I don't see a why to modify a poll.

Last edited by jsc1953; 12-10-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:48 PM

It doesn't feel like Christmas to me until I've listened to my collection of Dr. Demento's Demented Christmas songs. It also doesn't feel like Christmas until I've finished submitting my grades for the semester, which I just did this very day. Let the whiny complaining emails begin!
Old 12-10-2019, 06:50 PM

You said "High Priority", so I said giving and receiving gifts. To me that's a demonstration and reception of affection and caring and extremely important. Items on the list of lesser-but-nonzero importance are:

Decorating the tree (I participate in decorating my mom's (she lives in town) but don't do my own)
Decorating the house (I don't do this, but my mom does and it would be strange if she didn't)
Christmas dinner (I go because it's offered, but would eat alone if it wasn't)
Christmas music (it's all I'm listening to this month but I don't consider it a tradition)
Watching christmas movies (we're watching several of those, but again it's not really a tradition)

I forgot to check "other", but here are some traditions that weren't on the list:
Spending time with family (including in-town and out-of-town family)
Taking time off work (two weeks!)
Making a gingerbread house (and breaking it new-years)
Old 12-10-2019, 07:26 PM
born to be shunned

All of the above. If I had to pick a least favorite off the list it would be the Advent Wreath and I still like those. Most of the list I don't get to do anymore but for those I can --- come snow or high water I am in it to win it.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Other. After 30 years in retail:
Celebrating the fact that my tree has been up since November 1st, 2002(it's not sloth anymore, it's Tradition!)
Listening to Fairytale of New York
Festivus*.

*I GOT A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH YOU PEOPLE, AND NOW YOU'RE GONNA HEAR ALL ABOUT IT!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:27 PM

Mannheim Steamroller Christmas CDs. Also, the Carpenters Xmas album.

One Christmas movie and a different one next year.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:54 AM

Honestly, none. I am not a Grinch about how anyone else does their Christmas, but to me it is just another day. I don't decorate, nothing. At most, maybe buy presents for others.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:02 AM

I suppose every poll should have an option that says “I don’t care about your poll.”
Old 12-11-2019, 02:44 AM

Other. I learned several years ago that Christmas is all in the mind and if I ignore it it will simple cease to exist for me. Annoying Xmas music is no worse than any other annoying music. Xmas advertising is just as irrelevant as most ads are at any time of year. The Xmas displays in department stores are neither more nor less difficult to bypass than women's fashion and soft furnishings. I have no expectations, no regrets, no stress. The day itself lasts 24 hours, just like any other.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:10 AM

Nothing since my mother died 20 years ago. We don't have kids, family is small and scattered and we're all 50s to 70s in age. I'm not remotely religious, and I abhor the commercial feeding frenzy and false cheer.

A lot of my apathy also coincides with a move to the south the year after mom died. As a New Englander at heart it's really hard for me to get excited about Christmas, even with pretty lights going up, when it's still warm enough for me to be barefoot and wearing T-shirts. Add in a husband who wants all the Christmas cheer but will do nothing to make it happen and I'm well and truly over it.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I really didn't do anything except attend a family Christmas feast if one was close until we had a kid. Now it's very different . . .tree, presents, advent calendar, Christmas cookies (I don't see decorating cookies or making tamales up there. We do the former, not the latter, but the latter is common)

Last edited by Manda JO; 12-11-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 AM

I voted, which included "Other"
- Hanging up Christmas stockings
- Some big charity drive (was for less fortunate kids' libraries this year)
- Making mince pies as a family
- Cherry picking
Old 12-11-2019, 10:52 AM

None. The whole thing is madness
Old 12-11-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

There are certain foods I associate with Christmas, because I rarely make or eat them otherwise: mince pie, sugar cookies, Bourbon cake, and fudge.

Having lived near the Great Lakes or New England for 95 percent of my life, I don't think it can ever really feel like Christmas unless there's snow on the ground.

Artificial Christmas trees don't do it for me. They have to be real. It's more about fragrance than appearance. Preferably you go out as a family and cut your own.

I used to like eggnog with rum at Christmas. Now the drink I associate with Christmas is the Cuba libre. That's what my parents drank at Christmastime (and only at Christmastime), though I'm not sure why.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:24 AM

With some 60+ votes in, I'm surprised at how little import is given to "taking the kids to see Santa." It may have something to do with the death of the department store/shopping mall.

If I could do the poll over, I'd add options for:
  • Stockings
  • Mistletoe
  • Viewing other neighborhood lights
  • Visiting family (as separate from feasting on the holiday)
  • Traditional xmas food (tamales, mince pie, etc)
  • Every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.

Last edited by jsc1953; 12-11-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Visiting family. It's the time of year when I'm most likely to make the voyage back to the land of my family of origin (where siblings and cousins and uncles and aunts also still live) and hang out for a week or so.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
With some 60+ votes in, I'm surprised at how little import is given to "taking the kids to see Santa." It may have something to do with the death of the department store/shopping mall.

• Stockings
  • Mistletoe
  • Every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.
On the Santa part, maybe most of us are already past that age. We did it a few times and the kids didn't really love it anyway.

Stockings: was important when the kids were little, now no importance, just decorations.
Mistletoe: never important
Viewing other neighborhood lights I still enjoy this part, not as much as I did, but I would vote yes.
Visiting family Big one for me.
Traditional xmas food I guess the cookies, We didn't really have "traditional" foods. I wouldn't have voted for this one.
For your last one, What?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:35 AM

High priority are attending Advent and Christmas Eve service. Giving and receiving gifts are up there as well.

We'll get around to putting the tree up (maybe this upcoming weekend), so while it's a priority, it isn't that high, per se. Eggnog is also on this level.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:

• Stockings
  • Mistletoe
In addition to, or instead of, the last one, how about a simple "I don't celebrate or care about Christmas." This would do the job for atheists like me who have no emotional investment in the holidays, and for folks of other religions. I don't care if other people celebrate, I don't want to murder them for that, even though I'm always glad every year when the whole thing is over.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Other than playing my Carols for A Cure* CDS, not much. I usually work on December 25th.

*Google it. Highly recommended.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:34 PM

The only one that is truly important to me is eating rib roast on Christmas eve and having the remaining drippings and crackling available for snacking and sandwiches the following mornings.

There are a lot of food items surrounding that that are nice to have too.

I'm fine with decorating, but it's not that important to me.

I like gift giving and receiving, but would like it kept to a minimum since there's little I need or want, and I hate buying stuff for people that they don't actually need.

So I only voted for the feasting.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Our first Christmas after we got married we did all the decorations, the baking, exchanging presents, etc. But it didn't seem complete.

Did realize until later that it just wasn't Christmas day unless we went to bed with the dishwashwer running. Even if my parents didn't host Christmas, there were always a lot of dishes to be washed so she always ran the dishwasher in the evening of Christmas day, usually starting it rather late, around 10:00, as that would be either the first load, after being gone all day, or the second load, if we had hosted.

As my husband's birthday is soon after the new year, there are no special cookies which are only for Christmas. I always make Nanaimo bars and fudge, but this might be before or after Christmas. It's more of a late December / early January tradition.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
In addition to, or instead of, the last one, how about a simple "I don't celebrate or care about Christmas." This would do the job for atheists like me who have no emotional investment in the holidays, and for folks of other religions. I don't care if other people celebrate, I don't want to murder them for that, even though I'm always glad every year when the whole thing is over.
Roderick, I certainly respect your feelings about what holidays you do or don't celebrate. But if I'm gathering data about *how* people *do* celebrate a holiday, the views of those who don't participate are of zero interest. They're just clutter. It'd be like a poll that asked "what's the best restaurant in NYC?" got a ton of responses from people who never dine out.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Roderick, I certainly respect your feelings about what holidays you do or don't celebrate. But if I'm gathering data about *how* people *do* celebrate a holiday, the views of those who don't participate are of zero interest. They're just clutter. It'd be like a poll that asked "what's the best restaurant in NYC?" got a ton of responses from people who never dine out.
Then your thread title should have been "If you celebrate Christmas..." or "For those who celebrate Christmas..."
This board has a decent number of both Jews & atheists who don't celebrate the holiday of (another) religion. To pose a question to the entire board & then say that some people's responses "are of zero interest. They're just clutter." smacks of something that's not particularly nice; especially, in this season when we're supposed to show goodwill towards man.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:23 PM

I love Christmas as much as anyone. It's just SO much work. DIL is heading the festivities committee this year. Thank god. I'm not really healthy enough for sustained activities right now.
I'll do as she tells me. She knows my limitations.
I'll have mid-daughter and bunch for a few days. The lil'wrekker comes in tomorrow for her break. Hamza (her BF) will be in and out. He's been a source of consternation. He's newly accepted into the family (they're engaged). I'm having trouble buying gifts for him. Me and the lil'wrekker plan to shop for him, this weekend. And, I thought I was done shopping

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 12-11-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I don't have a big tree at my house but I do have a lovely tiny tree that I put in my window, and put my handful of decorations on it.

These aren't things I would include in anyone's list but these are my must-dos every year in December:
- Put up outdoor lights
- Send Christmas cards, featuring my dogs
- Put up my little tree and a couple baubles around the house
- Make oatmeal scotchies (cookies) to share
- Make gingerbread houses with my friends (every year for 25 years now)
- Play in Akron's TubaChristmas (every year for 20+ years now)
- Go to St. Andrew Abbey's Slovak Christmas Eve Vilija dinner
- Watch Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
- Watch It's A Wonderful Life

(I did vote accordingly in the poll)
Old 12-11-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I love Christmas as much as anyone. It's just SO much work. DIL is heading the festivities committee this year. Thank god. I'm not really healthy enough for sustained activities right now.
I'll do as she tells me. She knows my limitations.
I'll have mid-daughter and bunch for a few days. The lil'wrekker comes in tomorrow for her break. Hamza (her BF) will be in and out. He's been a source of consternation. He's newly accepted into the family (they're engaged). I'm having trouble buying gifts for him. Me and the lil'wrekker plan to shop for him, this weekend. And, I thought I was done shopping
Serious question (for everyone, not just Beckdawrek) Why do you think people enjoy (love?) these things? As an outsider (I grew up in a house that exchanged presents on Christmas but no tree, lights, or decorations). When my kids were younger, we went through the motions, but I fail to see the allure. As Beck notes, it's a ton of work, none of it especially enjoyable. There are crowds, there is stress, there are family obligations. This year I told my adult kids they're invited to stop by that day, and I'll take them out for Chinese food. We will enjoy each other's company, and not have to clean, cook, or stress.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Tree, food, egg nog, music, gifts... the whole mishugas.

Worst. Jew. Ever.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:53 PM

@Procrustus:

I do the decorating. Only my daughter helps. I enjoy it. We don't host Christmas or Christmas Eve, largely as my wife is Jewish. We typically do Thanksgiving & New Years instead.

The Christmas Tree kept getting harder and so this year I went to a small tree. Cut the decorating time in half, no longer a chore as it had slowly become. I actually do more and more outside decorating as time has passed but I don't feel compelled to do it in one day. I do it as I want to.

Christmas morning and waking up to open the presents was a lot of fun when the kids were little. We also did 8 days of lighting the Chanukah Candles and giving small presents. My wife and now often my son doing the prayer.

I enjoy the season, I enjoyed seeing Christmas overseas when I was in the Navy. Its amazing how popular the lights got in Japan, Hong Kong & even Singapore if IRC. I actually enjoy a lot of Christmas music.

I think it helps we don't have really far travel, less than an hour. We don't cook. We also don't do the religious services. For us it is just a winter solstice celebration in the end. A family get together. The week off for work. The heart of the college break for my kids now. The lights are pretty.

Last edited by What Exit?; 12-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:05 PM

@Procrustus: Tradition!
Old 12-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
it's a ton of work, none of it especially enjoyable.
Then you're doing it wrong. Many people do. But there are two elements here:

a) How much work do you feel every element is?

Before I moved across the Atlantic the whole family would gather at dad's and do the decoration in a couple of hours. It was a family get together and enjoyable.

b) How much do you get out of each element?

As other's have already said, that part is often down to tradition. I got a good feeling from putting up the decorations we'd used for many years (intermixed with recent gifts and replacements).

And it's possible to come to love Christmas as an adult as well. It's all down to personal preference.

So if someone feels the a/b ratio is too high they should cut out those elements. Swap them for whatever feels good for them, even if that is just skipping Christmas all together.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Then your thread title should have been "If you celebrate Christmas..." or "For those who celebrate Christmas..."
This board has a decent number of both Jews & atheists who don't celebrate the holiday of (another) religion. To pose a question to the entire board & then say that some people's responses "are of zero interest. They're just clutter." smacks of something that's not particularly nice; especially, in this season when we're supposed to show goodwill towards man.
I certainly intend no disrespect, and apologize to those who are offended. I thought that in a thread that elicits responses to *how* something is done, the "...if you do it" part is implied. Lesson learned. Carry on.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Friend of Cecil

Quote:
The thread title is "What Christmas traditions are important to you?". Do people really think their answer "None of it. I don't celebrate Christmas" is a contribution?

Honestly, I don't get it. Do you know how many times I've gone into a thread called "Which team so you hope will win this year's <sports event>" and been disappointed that the poll didn't include "None of them. I don't follow this sport"? No times. I never click on threads about sports events that I don't care about, and if I did, I wouldn't expect that anyone cared about my answer.

This reminds me of the people online who comment on recipes to share that they are allergic to the ingredients. Why would anyone do that? Move on to a conversation/poll/recipe about things you are interested in/celebrate/can consume.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazzle View Post
The thread title is "What Christmas traditions are important to you?". Do people really think their answer "None of it. I don't celebrate Christmas" is a contribution?
Yes. I assume the OP (and others) want the whole range of responses. Who likes the lights, who likes the food, who hates it all?
Old 12-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Drinking beer and wrapping presents on Christmas Eve while watching "Bad Santa"
Old 12-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm not offended, although I think "what Christmas traditions are important to you" (which is noticeably different from "how do you celebrate Christmas") and "what restaurants are good in NYC" are not remotely analogous.

Also I have to wonder why you included the Scrooge quote in your second list. I wouldn't have posted at all if you hadn't done that.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM

I checked giving and other. Every year my family provides gifts for families in need through a program called Adopt-a-Family. The gifts includes useful items like clothing and food, but also toys for the kids. In this world of commercialized Christmas I cannot imagine how sad it must be for a child to wake up on Christmas morning with no gifts, not to mention a warm coat or enough to eat. To me this is something important. It's all done anonymously but sometimes we get back thank you notes with identifying information blacked out. Those notes are the greatest Christmas presents I've ever received.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Serious question (for everyone, not just Beckdawrek) Why do you think people enjoy (love?) these things? As an outsider (I grew up in a house that exchanged presents on Christmas but no tree, lights, or decorations). When my kids were younger, we went through the motions, but I fail to see the allure. As Beck notes, it's a ton of work, none of it especially enjoyable. There are crowds, there is stress, there are family obligations. This year I told my adult kids they're invited to stop by that day, and I'll take them out for Chinese food. We will enjoy each other's company, and not have to clean, cook, or stress.
What work? What crowds? What stress? What family obligations? You seem to think that Christmas has to be standing in line at a store to buy gifts and then spending a ton of time cooking and visiting with family you don't like.

Holidays can be whatever you want them to be. Yes I do spend like 2 hours putting up lights, that's probably my only "ton of work" thing. I do it because I enjoy seeing the lights every day.

I have a tree but it takes 10 minutes to put up. I've asked to not get gifts, so I don't give gifts, except to my nieces and I buy everything online. I spend Christmas day sitting on the couch with my dad, watching Christmas movies. I visit my extended family if they have time.

The holidays don't have to be whatever you see in the movies. They can be whatever makes you happy. Lights make me happy. The smell of cookies make me happy. Spending time with my friends makes me happy. The promise of the new year makes me happy. I don't get to do any of that stuff with regularity during the rest of the year, so I make an extra effort to make sure I do all that lovely stuff around Christmas. It's nice, not stressful.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:

Honestly, I don't get it. Do you know how many times I've gone into a thread called "Which team so you hope will win this year's <sports event>" and been disappointed that the poll didn't include "None of them. I don't follow this sport"? No times. I never click on threads about sports events that I don't care about, and if I did, I wouldn't expect that anyone cared about my answer.

This reminds me of the people online who comment on recipes to share that they are allergic to the ingredients. Why would anyone do that? Move on to a conversation/poll/recipe about things you are interested in/celebrate/can consume.
I think there's a LOT more assumption out there that "everyone loves Christmas" than for team sports etc. I don't think it's a bad thing for a reminder that not everyone is excited for Christmas, or that a recipe needs tweaking/won't work for someone with an allergy. If everyone has the same experiences, likes the same things, has no differing opinion or outlook on a topic it would be a damned boring world.

I'm not a celebratory person by nature. That doesn't mean I don't like seeing/reading about what people who DO get into Xmas think. I also find it interesting to see the varying reasons the Bah Humbug folks like me have for feeling the way they do.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 PM

My favorite things include a delicious-smelling tree, lights and candles, baking, getting people together to sing/play instruments, play board games, drink eggnog, and maybe make a holiday craft if that's their thing. I mean, I do these things all winter, because they're cozy and fun, but around the holidays more people take part.

I could do without the gift aspect, though I do a quick online shop for gifts for the kids of the family. I don't do cards, or any forced social events, or religious things.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:

100% Agreed. I think it's because it's Christmas, there is a bit of anti-religious sentiment (well, anti-Christian anyways) in wanting an option that I'm not going to celebrate it because I don't believe it.

I wonder if there would be this much pushback if it was "What Sports traditions are important to you" or "What Hanukkah traditions are important to you".

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 12-12-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
This board has a decent number of both Jews & atheists who don't celebrate the holiday of (another) religion.
Counterpoint - some of us are happy celebrating what's become a largely secular holiday even though we've already gone through atheism and are so far out the other side it's no longer funny...

Don't harsh our eggnog buzz, man.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:59 PM

It is rather quaint to think of Christmas as a religious holiday.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
It is rather quaint to think of Christmas as a religious holiday.
It is a somewhat minor Christian Holiday, promoted to supplant various European Winter Holidays. It is also a major celebration of capitalism and has been for at least 80 years now if not longer. But the older carols do go back to a time when it was a religious holiday and the people who wrote the carols probably weren't aware of the history of Christmas.

I think for many of us, be we Christian, Atheist, Agnostic or something else and enjoying the time and celebration, the really important part of Christmas is the gathering of Friends & Families and maybe a little more Good Will than normal.

Santa is a fun little tale for many of us, a shared fiction with our kids.