Old 12-02-2019, 01:33 PM

Godsakes, that thing is hideous. It's even worse looking than the original Universal Title belt.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:17 PM

So does Orange Cassidy do anything else besides touch with his feet and look aloof?

I can see using his image on a stamp of acid.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:56 PM

Seems like I'm going to have a helluva show to see on the 18th! A Reah Ripley championship match AND a men's championship match? Hot dog!
Old 12-06-2019, 01:21 PM

NXT had a cool camera shot towards the end of the main event. After Finn Balor took out O'Reilly, Dijakovic, Cole and the ref with his ambush, Cole staggered over to the upper left ring corner, and Finn moved over to the opposite diagonal corner, intent to use his coup-de-gras move on Cole. The in-ring cameraman did a closeup of Finn with his "about to fuck you up" expression, and then Keith Lee slowly rose up behind him like the Loch Ness Monster. That made me pop.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:43 PM

WWE has signed John Morrison to return to the company.

His last match with WWE was on the November 28, 2011 edition of RAW, when The Miz defeated him in a Falls Count Anywhere match by giving him a Skull Crushing Finale on the entrance ramp.

Since leaving WWE, Morrison has won the world title in both Lucha Underground and Impact Wrestling.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:51 PM

RoH has a new weirdo, Danhausen. He's kind of a cross between the Joker and Broken Matt Hardy. They had him job to World TV Champion Shane Taylor, but he acted every bit the confidant idiot and pantomimed all kinds of shocked expressions of dismay.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
So does Orange Cassidy do anything else besides touch with his feet and look aloof?

I can see using his image on a stamp of acid.
He does some cool things with his hands in his pockets. But it's a joke act and gets old very quickly.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
He does some cool things with his hands in his pockets. But it's a joke act and gets old very quickly.
But it makes Jim Cornette angry, which is worth it
Old 12-08-2019, 05:29 PM

Ascension, Luke Harper, and Sin Cara have been granted their releases.

Sorry to see Harper go, but the other guys were dead on their feet years ago.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:03 AM

As I understand Orange Cassidy, the concept is either a really lazy guy who just doesn't want to bother to put in effort, or possibly his character is trying to project a "too cool for school" attitude, where he ends up putting more effort into acting like a cool slacker dude.

Probably the best match I've seen of his was him vs David Starr. Essentially David Starr, Serious Professional Wrestler, gets pissed off at his antics and just beats the crap out of OC until OC finally has to respond.

https://youtu.be/VcL4a4ohS-g
Old 12-10-2019, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

The full card for Wrestle Kingdom has been announced. This year it's going to be a two-night event, and the card is stacked for both shows;

Night 1:

* IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Kota Ibushi
* IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Jay White (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito
* IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship: Will Ospreay (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi
* Texas Death Match for the IWGP US Championship: Lance Archer (c) vs. Jon Moxley
* IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa (c) vs. Juice Robinson & David Finlay
* CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, & Yoshi-Hashi) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Chase Owens, KENTA, & Yujiro Takahashi)
* Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL, SANADA, Shingo Takagi, & Bushi) vs. Suzuki-Gun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr., & El Desperado)
* Jushin Thunder Liger, Tatsumi Fujinami, The Great Sasuke, & Tiger Mask IV vs. Naoki Sano, Shinjiro Otani, Tatsuhito Takaiwa, & Ryusuke Taguchi

Night 2:
* Winner-takes-all for the IWGP Heavyweight/Intercontinental Championships: The winner of Okada/Ibushi vs. the winner of White/Naito
* Chris Jericho vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
* The loser of Okada/Ibushi vs. the loser of White/Naito
* NEVER Openweight Championship: KENTA (c) vs. Hirooki Goto
* IWGP US Championship: The winner of Archer/Moxley vs. Juice Robinson
* RPW British Heavyweight Championship: Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. SANADA
* Bullet Club (Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo) vs. Roppongi 3K
* Jushin Thunder Liger & Naoki Sano vs. Ryu Lee & Hiromu Takahashi (Liger's retirement match)

Should be a fun couple of nights.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Robert Roode and Primo Colon (really!?) have received 30-day suspensions for Wellness Policy violations. First infraction for both.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:37 PM

A WWE press release announcing the 2020 inductions of Batista and the NWO (Hogan, Hall, Nash, and Waltman) to the WWE Hall of Fame has some interesting notes to it.

The press release notes that Batista, John Cena, Triple H, The Undertaker, Evolution, Ric Flair, Randy Orton, New World Order, WCW, and Monday Night Wars are all registered trademarks, although it does not say which ones WWE actually ones. On the other hand, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Sean Waltman are listed as unregistered trademarks, and apparently "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan isn't trademarked at all, although that could be because, the last I heard, Marvel Comics owns the trademark to "Hulk."
Old 12-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
On the other hand, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Sean Waltman are listed as unregistered trademarks
You canít trademark someoneís real name.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
As I understand Orange Cassidy, the concept is either a really lazy guy who just doesn't want to bother to put in effort, or possibly his character is trying to project a "too cool for school" attitude, where he ends up putting more effort into acting like a cool slacker dude.

Probably the best match I've seen of his was him vs David Starr. Essentially David Starr, Serious Professional Wrestler, gets pissed off at his antics and just beats the crap out of OC until OC finally has to respond.

https://youtu.be/VcL4a4ohS-g
I've seen a few Orange Cassidy "joke" matches and agreed with Corny until this. The story telling in this match is incredible.
Cassidy reminds me of an old Dolly Parton quote..."It takes a lot of money to look this cheap."
With Cassidy..."It takes a lot of talent to look this bad."
In future matches, I'd like to see him get "serious" sooner. He's not a great wrestler and his moves are sometimes too stiff, but he plays his role well in this match, as does David Star.
To paraphrase, I would prefer my pro wrestling to be realistic simulated combat but that horse has left the barn.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:09 AM

There is that time OC got in the ring while the Dark Order was outside beating up on Best Friends. He kept his hands in his pockets, bounced off the far ropes, dove on top of Dark Order, knocking them down like bowling pins, and stood back up, hands still in pockets, keeping the same "whatever" facial expression, shades still in place.

OK, I admit I'm becoming an OC mark. He's only good for the occasional spot, but he's like the anti-worker. He gets pops for not caring. He's not going to get any main event attention, and there's only so much he can do in the ring with the Persona of Aloofness. At some time everybody's going to get sick of his angle, but he may as well milk the fame while he can.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Just found out AEW's Jungle Boy is the son of late actor Luke Perry. Jim Ross is trying to rename him to Jungle Jack Perry which may make some sense. I could hardly tell you anything about Luke Perry but this kid looks like he could be another Flyin' Brian, hopefully staying that way instead of turning into another Brian Pillman.

AEW is emerging slowly, and maybe it's a very good thing to take it slowly and not burn out quickly. They need to separate the wheat from the chaff eventually, but first they need to let the wheat grow to maturity.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:

OK, I admit I'm becoming an OC mark. He's only good for the occasional spot, but he's like the anti-worker. He gets pops for not caring. He's not going to get any main event attention, and there's only so much he can do in the ring with the Persona of Aloofness. At some time everybody's going to get sick of his angle, but he may as well milk the fame while he can.
He reminds me of RVD with his attitude, and he should stay on the move like him so he doesn't get stale with any one crowd.

He's done that hands in the pocket jump with a flip over the top rope too. He's got great athletic and performance talent.

Last edited by TriPolar; 12-12-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:43 PM

Must... post... more... about... Orange Cassidy...
Here he is no-selling an interview with Chris Van Vliet.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:17 AM

I give that one a slightly elevated thumb.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:50 AM

finally watched some aew last tuesday the other night and its got ecw lite vibes to it buy there's some sloppy ring and camera work to it tho ..... and Dustin Rhodes still has it in the ring ..... but the young bucks had a tag match against some Lucha type of guys and one of them was jumped over the top rope and either missed and the camera moved so no one saw it .. or the cameraman missed it altogether because all you saw was the side of the ring

* Jushin Thunder Liger, Tatsumi Fujinami, The Great Sasuke, & Tiger Mask IV vs. Naoki Sano, Shinjiro Otani, Tatsuhito Takaiwa, & Ryusuke Taguchi
If that's not a legends match I dont know what is.... arent some of those guys around 50-60?

I remember when fujinami was iwgp and wcw world champ for a month or two in the early 90s (flair needed some time off and they had a talent sharing deal .....)

Last edited by nightshadea; 12-14-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
If that's not a legends match I dont know what is.... arent some of those guys around 50-60?
'Tis. Liger is retiring at Wrestle Kingdom, so they've been bringing back a lot of his classic friends/rivals for his last few matches.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:53 AM

wow, I remember when him inoki and muta were the only Japanese wrestlers anyone knew because of wcw......
Old 12-14-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
'Tis. Liger is retiring at Wrestle Kingdom, so they've been bringing back a lot of his classic friends/rivals for his last few matches.
You don't remember Prof. Tanaka and Mr. Fuji? Strong Kobayashi, Tash "Oddjob" Togo?
Old 12-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You don't remember Prof. Tanaka and Mr. Fuji? Strong Kobayashi, Tash "Oddjob" Togo?
I do. But I'm an old fart who grew up in WWWF country before cable. Tanaka, Fuji, and Togo were all Hawaiian. I know Fuji never worked the Japanese circuit, not sure about any of the others. You did leave out Masa Saito (who teamed with Mr. Fuji in the WWWF, or maybe WWF, they may have dropped the extra 'W' by then), who was Japanese and competed in wrestling in the Olympics.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I do. But I'm an old fart who grew up in WWWF country before cable. Tanaka, Fuji, and Togo were all Hawaiian. I know Fuji never worked the Japanese circuit, not sure about any of the others. You did leave out Masa Saito (who teamed with Mr. Fuji in the WWWF, or maybe WWF, they may have dropped the extra 'W' by then), who was Japanese and competed in wrestling in the Olympics.
Ok, I gotcha. Yes, only Kobayashi and Saito had wrestled in Japan prior to their WWWF days. Inoki got some press in the early 70s but I never got to see him in action until the debacle with Ali.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Hiro Matsuda wrestled in the NWA during the 60s and 70s and became a trainer. He trained Hulk Hogan and broke his leg the first day. Matsuda liked to be stiff when training newbies to teach them respect for the business.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Hiro Matsuda wrestled in the NWA during the 60s and 70s and became a trainer. He trained Hulk Hogan and broke his leg the first day. Matsuda liked to be stiff when training newbies to teach them respect for the business.
A well known story that has been questioned. Not Matsuda's attitude, but the part about breaking Hogan's leg. I'm sure he did lay some hurt on Hogan though.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Yep, it's only Hogan selling that story, and it's not like Hogan never let truth get in the way of a good story.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Randy Volley, aged 69, has passed away. He was Moondog Rex, and the original Crush of Demolition, before Barry "Repo Man" Darsie took over.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:26 PM

Rusev said something in the TLC pre-show that may have tipped off a future plot. I have a feeling that they're going to tease a Lashley-Lana wedding, but, at the last second, Lana calls it off - for the sole reason of making sure Rusev has to pay her alimony, which will lead to some "Rusev is poor" storyline.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:40 PM

I give TLC an ehhhh.

Too many props. If one match on the card is a TLC match, that's fine. When just about every match is TLC, it's overkill. You realize you spend a lot of time watching them move props around.

New Day vs Revival had already did as much with props as was possible, and all took some sick bumps to make it a good match. However, every TLC match after that was more of the same. Buddy Murphy vs Aleister Black kicked ass and didn't need no goddam props.

Bray Wyatt vs Miz was a lot of setup and no payoff. Hey look, Bray's got a Harley Quinn hammer. Oh, he never uses it. Hey, the lights go out. Oh, Bray's gone. Hey, a hooded guy attacked Bray. It can't possibly be Daniel Bryan. Oh wait, it is, he just got a haircut.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Too many props. If one match on the card is a TLC match, that's fine. When just about every match is TLC, it's overkill. You realize you spend a lot of time watching them move props around.
Also, what's the difference between a normal Ladder Match (SD tag titles match) and a TLC Match with belts hanging from the ceiling (women's tag titles match)? It's not as if tables and chairs are illegal in a ladder match.

Quote:
Bray Wyatt vs Miz was a lot of setup and no payoff. Hey look, Bray's got a Harley Quinn hammer. Oh, he never uses it. Hey, the lights go out. Oh, Bray's gone. Hey, a hooded guy attacked Bray. It can't possibly be Daniel Bryan. Oh wait, it is, he just got a haircut.
Don't forget the new (at least I don't remember hearing it before now) "Klunk" sound effect when the lights go off and on - well, about a second or two before they go off and on, but the audio types need to be in sync with the lighting types. It reminds me of "Raw General Manager Laptop" with the "bob-o-link" sound effect that never was synced to the lights properly.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I liked that it was a Bray Wyatt match and not a Fiend match. But only that. The women had the better TLC match; poor Sane got her Bell really rung.

These PPVs highlight first that the matches are mostly TV matches that are 50% longer. Obviously TV is such big money now that it needs top matches for ratings, but it makes the PPV a little less special. Second, there are simply too many titles. Titles that aren't defended on a PPV feel less special to me. I was apparently one of the few who preferred brand-specific PPV for that reason.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:35 PM

you know if njpw wanted to stick a middle finger to Vince id have muta come down in the original NWO style/gear he created .......
Old 12-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I liked that it was a Bray Wyatt match and not a Fiend match. But only that. The women had the better TLC match; poor Sane got her Bell really rung.

These PPVs highlight first that the matches are mostly TV matches that are 50% longer. Obviously, TV is such big money now that it needs top matches for ratings, but it makes the PPV a little less special. Second, there are simply too many titles. Titles that aren't depended on a PPV feel less special to me. I was apparently one of the few who preferred brand-specific PPV for that reason.
see this was the fear that they had when they created raw manny moons ago that fans wouldn't accept the 5/10 minute squash matches as they did on superstars of wrestling or wrestling challenge (even tho raw had that type of match, in the beginning, try to put one on there now and the howling would last weeks and weeks) and it would kill off the PPVs one day because they weren't "special" anymore
Old 12-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
you know if njpw wanted to stick a middle finger to Vince id have muta come down in the original NWO style/gear he created .......
I'm packed full of useless wrestling information, but I hadn't heard of this. Care to elaborate?
Old 12-17-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The women had the better TLC match; poor Sane got her Bell really rung.
The women showed up the men once again. They do need to practice those chair shots though, they were starting to look really fakey. And permanently drop the idea of being immobilized with loose ropes. But even then it was better than most of the men's matches. And where were the rest of the women?

Quote:
These PPVs highlight first that the matches are mostly TV matches that are 50% longer. Obviously TV is such big money now that it needs top matches for ratings, but it makes the PPV a little less special. Second, there are simply too many titles. Titles that aren't defended on a PPV feel less special to me. I was apparently one of the few who preferred brand-specific PPV for that reason.
If these things weren't on the network I wouldn't pay PPV prices to see them.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The women showed up the men once again. They do need to practice those chair shots though, they were starting to look really fakey. And permanently drop the idea of being immobilized with loose ropes. But even then it was better than most of the men's matches. And where were the rest of the women?
It appears Sane was knocked out early and probably should have been taken out. Flair was getting frustrated with her when she "no-sold" the spear and again the power bomb. Flair is really good and she should have realized Sane wasn't no-selling but was legitimately hurt (and appeared to be tapping Flair during the powerbomb as if to say Please don't do this), though in the heat of a match, maybe Flair didn't realize it until after the table powerbomb. Sane was protected after that.

The logical part of me understands how the money-earning aspects have changed, but seeing a PPV match on TV the next day AND with a clean finish one didn't get on the PPV just makes me sad. I love seeing great matches for free on TV, but I also loved that the PPV would mean something and that it wouldn't be until the next PPV where one could get revenge for a screw-job or non-finish. But WWE now makes more $$$ from TV than most PPV, so it only makes sense to somewhat flip the script.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
It appears Sane was knocked out early and probably should have been taken out. Flair was getting frustrated with her when she "no-sold" the spear and again the power bomb. Flair is really good and she should have realized Sane wasn't no-selling but was legitimately hurt (and appeared to be tapping Flair during the powerbomb as if to say Please don't do this), though in the heat of a match, maybe Flair didn't realize it until after the table powerbomb. Sane was protected after that.
I looked at that again, didn't realize she was hurt that bad from the table slam because it looked like she got hurt right at the beginning when Charlotte kicked her in the face coming off the ring apron. Kairi took a several hard bumps in that fight. I think they were all worn down at the end, some of it from having to ad lib the match because she was hurt so much.

Quote:
The logical part of me understands how the money-earning aspects have changed, but seeing a PPV match on TV the next day AND with a clean finish one didn't get on the PPV just makes me sad. I love seeing great matches for free on TV, but I also loved that the PPV would mean something and that it wouldn't be until the next PPV where one could get revenge for a screw-job or non-finish. But WWE now makes more $$$ from TV than most PPV, so it only makes sense to somewhat flip the script.
I miss the old wrestling structure a lot, but I think the biggest problem is changing the wrestlers themselves. I look at them now as actors playing video game characters. And I see that in the PPV/network shows. The matches are scripted, choreographed, and rehearsed, but the end result is often lacking. Good wrestling matches have an ebb and flow and crescendo building to a conclusion, and it takes wrestlers with an emotional investment in their art and with the crowd to produce that kind of match. But the crowd has changed too, I think they'd rather see a single career threatening dangerous move more than an entire quality match. They'll even shout 'That was awesome' for some pretty lame moves, which may look better next to the ho-hum performance for most of the match. But I can go on forever complaining about modern wrestling. We had the quality period in the transition where some older traditional wrestlers mixed with the new breed and the changing environment to produce great shows, I doubt it will ever be better than that.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:18 AM

You know, the one time ever we get good seats at Full Sail is the one time they open the barriers and let people run into the ring and we're TOO FAR AWAY TO PARTICIPATE
Old 12-26-2019, 07:40 PM

It occurs to me that if Connor "The Crusher" Michalek were still alive, he'd certainly have won the 24/7, 48/10, 7/11 European Championship by now.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
It occurs to me that if Connor "The Crusher" Michalek were still alive, he'd certainly have won the 24/7, 48/10, 7/11 European Championship by now.
Oh no doubt.

They gave it to Michael Waltrip for chrissakes
Old 12-28-2019, 04:13 PM

Kyle Bush, actually. Waltrip was the ref.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Kyle Bush, actually. Waltrip was the ref.
Ah damn. Got my NASCARS confused.

Anyone following this Lars Sullivan gay porn story? Apparently he appeared in some gay porn movie back in the day, which makes his old homophobic tweets all the funnier.

I'm not paying a huge amount of attention to it, but it's a thing.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Anyone following this Lars Sullivan gay porn story? Apparently he appeared in some gay porn movie back in the day, which makes his old homophobic tweets all the funnier.

I'm not paying a huge amount of attention to it, but it's a thing.
He's deleted his Twitter since the story broke, but the long and short of it is that about ten years ago he did some shoots for a gay porn site under the name "Mitch Bennett", at least one of which involved him receiving oral sex from another man.

I don't think it should be held against him, especially since he'd hardly be the first wrestler to have compromising pics or videos wind up online, and he hadn't even started wrestling professionally at the time.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Some interesting new stipulations have been announced for Wrestle Kingdom - which, as a reminder, is this Saturday and Sunday morning, 3 AM Eastern/midnight Pacific, live with English commentary on NJPWWorld for 999 yen (currently $9.20) per month.

If Hiroshi Tanahashi beats Chris Jericho in their match on Night 2, he gets an AEW world title shot at a later date.

Lance Archer vs. Jon Moxley for the US title is now a Texas deathmatch - no DQ or countout, which can be won only by knockout or submission.

Also, on the pre-show for night one, there's going to be a women's match for the first time, as NJPW's parent company has purchased STARDOM - Mayu Iwatani & Arisa Hoshiki vs. Hana Kimura & Giulia.

I'm friends with Hana's mom Kyoko through a chat room we both pop into now and then, so I'm really hoping we get to see that match instead of it being dark.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Lance Archer vs. Jon Moxley for the US title is now a Texas deathmatch - no DQ or countout, which can be won only by knockout or submission.
Since when did a Texas Death match become another phrase for an I Quit match? "In my day," a Texas (aka Mexican) Death match was what WWE likes to call a "Last Man Standing" match, but the 10 counts didn't begin until after each pinfall.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Since when did a Texas Death match become another phrase for an I Quit match? "In my day," a Texas (aka Mexican) Death match was what WWE likes to call a "Last Man Standing" match, but the 10 counts didn't begin until after each pinfall.
Honestly, it's pretty surprising that New Japan is doing this kind of match in the first place - historically they've been very averse to stipulation matches, and it's almost unheard of for a match to end with anything other than a clean pinfall.

The management must be pretty big on Moxley to let him do this kind of fight.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Good to hear Taz on the mic again. AEW is mixing the old school luminaries with the cutting edge indies and not concerned with tailoring their content to family audiences. WWE concentrates too much on making their brand marketable, and AEW just plays to the bloodlust of the smarks.

Dork Order is probably their biggest flop, but they're willing to try anything with them, so I see them as an experiment on how to get over as mediocre heels.