Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:43 AM
DMC DMC is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,690
Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is a really, really bad guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AljakpXAh7c

A pretty interesting hypothetical game played pretty brilliantly by the AOC.

TLDW: She plays a bad guy and asks hypothetical questions about the legalities of enriching herself (as a politician) at the expense of the American public. She then wraps up by showing that the president actually has even more room to do so.

I thought it was pretty well done and would probably watch a lot of CSPAN if congress and their committee meetings were always like this.

Does anyone find flaws in her argument?
  #2  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:48 AM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
... Does anyone find flaws in her argument?
Does it matter? "There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right"
  #3  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Does it matter? "There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right"
You must be apoplectic over Trump's "abolishing civil rights" gaffe then huh?
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #4  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:58 AM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
You must be apoplectic over Trump's "abolishing civil rights" gaffe then huh?
I don't get "apoplectic" over much, so no.
  #5  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I don't get "apoplectic" over much, so no.
Well you certainly seem to think its a big deal for some people to misspeak. Almost seems like you can tell by the politics of whoever was speaking whether you are going to react or not.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #6  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:02 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Well you certainly seem to think its a big deal for some people to misspeak. Almost seems like you can tell by the politics of whoever was speaking whether you are going to react or not.
Where did you get the idea that I thought it was "a big deal"?
  #7  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,917
Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Does it matter? "There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right"
Don't threadshit. This is about the segment linked in the OP. Generally the ethical rules that cover congress people and the executive branch.

[/moderating]

Last edited by Bone; 02-08-2019 at 12:07 PM.
  #8  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:35 PM
septimus's Avatar
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 18,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Does it matter? "There's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right"
Are you sure AOC's diction is entirely unreasonable?
  #9  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,917
Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Are you sure AOC's diction is entirely unreasonable?
I've already cautioned you against this here, but perhaps I wasn't being clear enough. You also brought it up here and here, but they were slightly more germane so that did not warrant a comment. So let me be clear - If you do this again, you will receive a warning for harassment.

[/moderating]
  #10  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
This is why they are terrified of her. She's calling out the game that everyone there knows about, and most participate in, but dare not speak of. She's threatening that golden goose and they hate her for it. That's why there is such an obsession over this freshmen representative. They are trying to abort her career, if you'll pardon the expression, because she poses a threat to their cash flow.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #11  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Sam Stone Sam Stone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 27,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
This is why they are terrified of her. She's calling out the game that everyone there knows about, and most participate in, but dare not speak of. She's threatening that golden goose and they hate her for it. That's why there is such an obsession over this freshmen representative. They are trying to abort her career, if you'll pardon the expression, because she poses a threat to their cash flow.
Who is terrified of her? On the right, they call her the gift that keeps on giving. They think she's hilarious, not scary. Her 'Green New Deal' is the funniest thing to come out of Washington since Al Franken.
  #12  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Ulfreida Ulfreida is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pangolandia
Posts: 3,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Who is terrified of her? On the right, they call her the gift that keeps on giving. They think she's hilarious, not scary. Her 'Green New Deal' is the funniest thing to come out of Washington since Al Franken.
Keep laughing at the hilarious proposed legislation that is already garnering a great deal of support.

They "think she is funny" because mocking people is a tried and true method to grind them under your heel.
  #13  
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Who is terrified of her? On the right, they call her the gift that keeps on giving. They think she's hilarious, not scary.
That is the same thing the Republicans thought about Donald Trump.


They still think he is hilarious, although not scary now. They are wrong, the scary part is coming. That is what they do miss, their blind support of the embodiment (Trump) of a lot of what they claimed to be against, is one big reason why then people like Cortez are given a look now.
  #14  
Old 02-09-2019, 12:20 AM
UltraVires UltraVires is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bridgeport, WV, US
Posts: 14,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Who is terrified of her? On the right, they call her the gift that keeps on giving. They think she's hilarious, not scary. Her 'Green New Deal' is the funniest thing to come out of Washington since Al Franken.
She is absolutely the gift that keeps on giving. The GOP was in prime position to get waxed in 2020 and likely permanently. But the Dems have chosen to focus on AOC and her socialist agenda. A Republican strategist could not have dreamed for a better foil than AOC in the next election. It is on par with Dukakis and Mondale.
  #15  
Old 02-09-2019, 12:36 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
She is absolutely the gift that keeps on giving. The GOP was in prime position to get waxed in 2020 and likely permanently. But the Dems have chosen to focus on AOC and her socialist agenda. A Republican strategist could not have dreamed for a better foil than AOC in the next election. It is on par with Dukakis and Mondale.
Aye; just like Clinton vs Trump in 2016, eh?
  #16  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Brown Eyed Girl Brown Eyed Girl is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Outtastate
Posts: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Who is terrified of her? On the right, they call her the gift that keeps on giving. They think she's hilarious, not scary. Her 'Green New Deal' is the funniest thing to come out of Washington since Al Franken.
Yeah, these jokers look like they're having a ball!
__________________
"I can't for the life of me understand what's so great about being stupid." ~ George Herbert Walker Bush

Last edited by Brown Eyed Girl; 02-09-2019 at 02:42 PM.
  #17  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Yeah, these jokers look like they're having a ball!
Wow, I stopped counting the many times discredited bastard pun-dits ( ) that use constant lies to prop up the president in that video. And one was of course Bastardi.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 02-09-2019 at 02:49 PM.
  #18  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 18,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Who is terrified of her? On the right, they call her the gift that keeps on giving. They think she's hilarious, not scary. Her 'Green New Deal' is the funniest thing to come out of Washington since Al Franken.
Is it amusing to argue against a young idealist who doesn't even have a degree in electrical engineering? How about "one of the most cited scholars in history" with over 100 books and who has, even in old age, multiple professorships? Does he make you giggle too?

All of you should do yourself a favor and take time off from yet another re-run of a 2-hour lecture by Friedman or Rothbard and watch this 13-minute YouTube. You'll also learn about Elin Ersson, a young heroine like AOC who used her seat not in Congress but just on an airplane to possibly save the life of a man.

Or keep giggling. You decide.
  #19  
Old 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,854
Ooof! That was harsh!
  #20  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
Tangent happily dropped.

IMO she nails in this video exactly why our government is not working. Too many agendas being represented that are at odds with the interests of the American people.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #21  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:09 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,396
To be specific, AOC asks "is there any hard limit ... on the laws I can write or influence" and the response is "there's no limit". I don't think that's correct. There are, in reality, limits on what laws Congress can enact.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 02-08-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: just saw the mod note
  #22  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
To be specific, AOC asks "is there any hard limit ... on the laws I can write or influence" and the response is "there's no limit". I don't think that's correct. There are, in reality, limits on what laws Congress can enact.
That's not precisely what was said either. Here is what was said:

Quote:
AOC: Is there any hard limit that I have, perhaps Mrs. Hobert Flynn, is there any hard limit that I have in terms of what legislation I'm allowed to touch, are there any limits on the laws that I can write or influence, especially if i'm , based on the special interest funds that i accepted to finance my campaign to get me elected in the first place

Hobert Flynn: There is no limit.

AOC: So there is none, I can be totally funded by oil and gas, can totally funded by big pharma, come in write big pharma law and there's no limits to that

Hobert Flynn: That's right.
If you want to get super precise, AOC is not talking about what laws Congress can enact. AOC is talking about her specific actions as a member of Congress. In any event, what limits are you thinking of? Because later in the segment they do mention certain ethical limits but those aren't specified. Essentially her point is largely correct and I don't find any factual errors.
  #23  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
That's not precisely what was said either. Here is what was said: ...
Where did you find the transcript? Or did you type that up yourself?
  #24  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
You don't think that's correct? Based on your gut? What limits are you referring to?

What restrictions are in place to prevent representatives from writing or influencing legislation that benefits the corporations that paid to get them elected at the expense of the American public?
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #25  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
You don't think that's correct? Based on your gut? What limits are you referring to?

What restrictions are in place to prevent representatives from writing or influencing legislation that benefits the corporations that paid to get them elected at the expense of the American public?
The Constitution, for one, imposes some limits on the laws Congress can enact. The Supreme Court has seen fit to unwind a number of Congressional actions that have run afoul of various limits. Congress also needs to either get the consent of the president to enact a law, or alternatively receive the consent of 2/3 of it's own members in each house to override a presidential veto. That's also a limiting factor.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 02-08-2019 at 12:20 PM.
  #26  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
The Constitution, for one, imposes some limits on the laws Congress can write. Congress also needs to either get the consent of the President to enact a law, or alternatively receive the consent of 2/3 of it's own members in each house to override a presidential veto. That's also a limiting factor.
That's not the question she was asking.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #27  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
That's not the question she was asking.
But it's the question he knows how to answer so he pretends that's the question she was asking.
  #28  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
The Constitution, for one, imposes some limits on the laws Congress can enact. The Supreme Court has seen fit to unwind a number of Congressional actions that have run afoul of various limits. Congress also needs to either get the consent of the president to enact a law, or alternatively receive the consent of 2/3 of it's own members in each house to override a presidential veto. That's also a limiting factor.
So, what you effectively saying is that the limits are only imposed politically? If you have a sympathetic court, a sympathetic president, and a sufficient majority, then there are no limits. None. I think that is within the realm of what she was getting at.
  #29  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 12,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
So, what you effectively saying is that the limits are only imposed politically? If you have a sympathetic court, a sympathetic president, and a sufficient majority, then there are no limits. None. I think that is within the realm of what she was getting at.
Fair enough. If a sufficient enough portion of the federal government decides to conspire to do bad things legally, they'll be able to do bad things legally. Is that her point?

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 02-08-2019 at 01:05 PM.
  #30  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Jragon's Avatar
Jragon Jragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 10,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
The Constitution, for one, imposes some limits on the laws Congress can enact. The Supreme Court has seen fit to unwind a number of Congressional actions that have run afoul of various limits. Congress also needs to either get the consent of the president to enact a law, or alternatively receive the consent of 2/3 of it's own members in each house to override a presidential veto. That's also a limiting factor.
I meeeaaaaan, as a practical matter these are rules, not like... physical laws of the universe. As far as I know nobody has ever gotten arrested or sent to the firing squads for writing unconstitutional legislation, and if you can get enough people on board to sign your pork barrel or (legally) PAC-bribed legislation, and get it not vetoed you have plenty of time to reap the benefits before the SCOTUS unwinds it. Hell, just hide it in a rider on some otherwise uncontroversial or unreadable omnibus piece of legislation that passes through a committee you're on, happens all the time.

Of course, you could get sanctioned by your party, you could not get re elected due to it, we could overthrow congress in a bloody revolution, but if you're subtle enough about it then even "constitutionality" isn't per se a limit of Congress' power. Save the veto, constitutional limits are largely debate tools and long-term (usually at least 5+ year lag time) limits. Plenty of time to reap the benefits. Let's not forget the large, large number of things Congress wasn't thought to be allowed to do that they passed laws about anyway, only to be justified later when the SCOTUS ruled it was technically allowed under a clause (usually interstate commerce).

Most of the things you can do aren't even remotely unconstitutional anyway, because they involve either electing to not sign legislation doing certain things (e.g. monopoly busting), or repealing existing legislation. And most of these bills aren't big ordeals like the ACA or something, they're small bits of legislation where if you want to be subtle you can jusify all sorts of reasons you're against the bill's wording.

Now of course, this actually almost works as a counter to AOC's points as well, because people can just ignore or get even more clever about circumventing any laws passed preventing this, but I'd prefer to try.

Last edited by Jragon; 02-08-2019 at 01:40 PM.
  #31  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone Bone is online now
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,917
I typed it.
  #32  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Velocity Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13,247
I don't doubt that AOC has good motives and intentions, but she is introducing a "bumper-sticker" mindset to politics (not that it wasn't there before, but she's worsening it.) Shortening every complex social/economic issue of the day down into a simple, incorrect, oversimplified misleading argument and then feeding it to the masses.


A younger, female, less-crass Democratic version of Trump.
  #33  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I don't doubt that AOC has good motives and intentions, but she is introducing a "bumper-sticker" mindset to politics (not that it wasn't there before, but she's worsening it.)
Hang on; I'm not clear on this. First you say she is "introducing" something. Then you say "not that it wasn't there already".

So is she introducing it or not?
  #34  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:23 PM
foolsguinea foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I don't doubt that AOC has good motives and intentions, but she is introducing a "bumper-sticker" mindset to politics (not that it wasn't there before, but she's worsening it.) Shortening every complex social/economic issue of the day down into a simple, incorrect, oversimplified misleading argument and then feeding it to the masses.


A younger, female, less-crass Democratic version of Trump.
We've had bumper-sticker politics at least since Jimmy Carter. What AOC is doing is pulling in a left-populist, anti-corruption direction.
  #35  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:17 PM
foolsguinea foolsguinea is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 15,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
We've had bumper-sticker politics at least since Jimmy Carter.
And I say that because that's as far back as I can remember personally. But really, since the beginning of the two-party system.

Quote:
What AOC is doing is pulling in a left-populist, anti-corruption direction.
It occurred to me that someone else in our popular mythology did that. Jewish guy, had magic powers or something?
SPOILER:
I meant Kal-L from the earliest Superman comic strips, whom did you think I meant?

Last edited by foolsguinea; 02-08-2019 at 03:20 PM.
  #36  
Old 02-08-2019, 03:02 PM
Left Hand of Dorkness's Avatar
Left Hand of Dorkness Left Hand of Dorkness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 40,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I don't doubt that AOC has good motives and intentions, but she is introducing a "bumper-sticker" mindset to politics (not that it wasn't there before, but she's worsening it.)
First, you know what fits on a bumper sticker? "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too," that's what fits on a bumper sticker. This ain't a new thang at all.

Second, you know what doesn't fit on a bumper sticker? A five-minute back-and-forth about various aspects of campaign and legislative law and ethics, that's what doesn't.

Third, Trump won with "Build The Wall!" and "Lock Her Up!" and McCain tried to win with "Drill Baby Drill!" and Obama won with "Yes We Can!" There's no goddamned way that AOC is making bumper-sticker mindset worse in our politics.

Finally, folks are objecting to her argument based on the idea that money doesn't win elections. As Rebecca Bunch would say, the situation is a lot more nuanced than that. Money DOES sometimes matter. Spending in the week before an election can cause a bump, according to the article, and spending in primaries can make a big difference, and spending by challengers in races without clear partisan lines can make a difference.

And there's the issue of perception. If politicians believe that the money makes a difference, then it will change their behavior in deleterious ways. Madame Bad Guy who believes she needs fossil fuel money in order to win her next election may be wrong, but that won't stop her from voting in favor of legislation that allows offshore drilling.
  #37  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I don't doubt that AOC has good motives and intentions, but she is introducing a "bumper-sticker" mindset to politics (not that it wasn't there before, but she's worsening it.) Shortening every complex social/economic issue of the day down into a simple, incorrect, oversimplified misleading argument and then feeding it to the masses.


A younger, female, less-crass Democratic version of Trump.
That last sentence is quite a fantastic claim. Can you back it up? Take, for instance, just as one crucial issue, the fact that Trump is a congenital liar and absolutely nothing he says can or should be believed. He set a new record on September 7 of last year when he publicly told 125 fact-checked lies in just 120 minutes. That's a little over one lie per minute, so his statements were basically a string of lies with some words connecting them together, the lies issuing forth pretty much every time his mouth opened. The Washington Post (same link above) cites Fact Checker as having currently compiled 5000 lies he's told between his inauguration and last fall, and the daily rate of lies seems to be rising.

Got the same cite for OAC, since you claim she's basically the same? She was criticized for correctly quoting a study about astronomical Pentagon spending that turned out to contain questionable figures and using it to make a point about Medicare for All. She acknowledged the mistake. She's young and inexperienced, and passionate about what she thinks is right. Trump is old, stupid, corrupt, and is passionate only about enriching himself. And he lies the way normal people breathe, unconsciously, really just making things up as he goes. But I'll change my mind if you find me a cite that shows 5000 unacknowledged lies from AOC, or that she's a pathological narcissist who cares about nothing but herself. Otherwise I reject your ridiculous comparison.
  #38  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:54 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
Does anyone find flaws in her argument?
Two flaws that jumped out at me.

First, it's not a given that a candidate that gets a lot of corporate money will win an election. Freakonomics did a pretty famous piece about the role of money in elections several years back, and this FiveThirtyEight article says something similar. To summarize:

- Spending and winning often go hand in hand, but that's a correlation and not a causation, since popular candidates tend to get more donations anyway.
- The stuff that campaigns spend money on isn't all that effective

Second, even if getting a lot of PAC money was a huge advantage, at the end of the day the voters have the final say. What's depressing isn't that someone can get a lot of money from special interests that want to, say, drill for oil in the ANWR, it's that thousands of regular voters will scream "drill baby drill" at political rallies. Whatever the cause and effect there, it doesn't matter if a legislator wants to subvert the will of the people if the will of the people has already been subverted by Fox News.
  #39  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Two flaws that jumped out at me.

First, it's not a given that a candidate that gets a lot of corporate money will win an election. Freakonomics did a pretty famous piece about the role of money in elections several years back, and this FiveThirtyEight article says something similar. To summarize:

- Spending and winning often go hand in hand, but that's a correlation and not a causation, since popular candidates tend to get more donations anyway.
- The stuff that campaigns spend money on isn't all that effective
It's good thing then that she didn't at all make the argument that having lots of corporate money will win an election, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Second, even if getting a lot of PAC money was a huge advantage, at the end of the day the voters have the final say. What's depressing isn't that someone can get a lot of money from special interests that want to, say, drill for oil in the ANWR, it's that thousands of regular voters will scream "drill baby drill" at political rallies. Whatever the cause and effect there, it doesn't matter if a legislator wants to subvert the will of the people if the will of the people has already been subverted by Fox News.
Ddamn; it's prolly also a good thing that she didn't at all make an argument that voters don't have the final say, right?

So no flaws at all in what she was saying, right?
  #40  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:30 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
It's good thing then that she didn't at all make the argument that having lots of corporate money will win an election, isn't it?
Ddamn; it's prolly also a good thing that she didn't at all make an argument that voters don't have the final say, right?

So no flaws at all in what she was saying, right?
She says, "So I use my special interest, dark money funded campaign to pay off folks that I need to pay off and get elected. So now I'm elected, now I'm in."

I'm not saying she's ignorant of the role of voters, but I think she's putting too much emphasis on Citizens United and corporate money.

Ultimately her argument boils down to, "A bad person can get elected, write legislation that only benefits specific corporate interests, make themselves rich in the process, and then bail." Which is undeniably true, that can happen. And it probably does, but there's a built in way to address that situation, which is we stop voting for people who write legislation that only benefits specific corporate interests and make themselves rich in the process. The problem is that even after we find out that this exactly what someone's doing, we tend to reelect them. Why is that? Is corporate money just that powerful?
  #41  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 24,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
She says, "So I use my special interest, dark money funded campaign to pay off folks that I need to pay off and get elected. So now I'm elected, now I'm in."

I'm not saying she's ignorant of the role of voters, but I think she's putting too much emphasis on Citizens United and corporate money.
Dude, it's a hypothetical. She isn't making any kind of argument AT ALL there; she's just setting up the scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Ultimately her argument boils down to, "A bad person can get elected, write legislation that only benefits specific corporate interests, make themselves rich in the process, and then bail." Which is undeniably true, that can happen. And it probably does, but there's a built in way to address that situation, which is we stop voting for people who write legislation that only benefits specific corporate interests and make themselves rich in the process. The problem is that even after we find out that this exactly what someone's doing, we tend to reelect them. Why is that? Is corporate money just that powerful?
Forgive me, but you seem to have completely missed the point she was making, despite the fact that she states it clearly starting at the 4 minute mark.
  #42  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:46 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Forgive me, but you seem to have completely missed the point she was making, despite the fact that she states it clearly starting at the 4 minute mark.
Help me out then, what'd I get wrong?
  #43  
Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 PM
Heffalump and Roo Heffalump and Roo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Two flaws that jumped out at me.

First, it's not a given that a candidate that gets a lot of corporate money will win an election.
That can't be her argument. Her opponent, Joe Crowley, took corporate PAC money in the primary election. He lost. If her point was that anyone taking corporate PAC money in an election wins, she would have lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Ultimately her argument boils down to, "A bad person can get elected, write legislation that only benefits specific corporate interests, make themselves rich in the process, and then bail." Which is undeniably true, that can happen. And it probably does, but there's a built in way to address that situation, which is we stop voting for people who write legislation that only benefits specific corporate interests and make themselves rich in the process. The problem is that even after we find out that this exactly what someone's doing, we tend to reelect them. Why is that? Is corporate money just that powerful?
The difficulty with your solution is that the person has to get elected into Congress, people have to notice, then vote them out. That gives incentive for people to do the wrong thing and puts a lot of responsibility on the voters that are not doing this as a full time job.

Her solution is to take corporate PAC money out altogether which has the benefit of removing the incentive altogether. It has also been reported that congresspeople spend up to 4 hours a day raising funds from these corporations, leaving little time to meet with the rest of their constituents. That's what happened with Joe Crowley. He was so busy talking to corporate donors and trying to get legislation on their behalf, he lost sight of what his own constituents wanted, which is how AOC was able to get elected because she went out to talk to them.
  #44  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
Ok if that's what you think lol
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #45  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
Corporate money and right wing propaganda is enough yes.
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #46  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbeck View Post
Corporate money and right wing propaganda is enough yes.
And I'd say there's about 5/95 split there in terms of which matters more.
  #47  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Babale Babale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
And I'd say there's about 5/95 split there in terms of which matters more.
Propaganda doesn't pay for itself. Who do you think pays for it?
  #48  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:42 PM
steronz steronz is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babale View Post
Propaganda doesn't pay for itself. Who do you think pays for it?
Special interests, of course. It's more effective having the people clamoring to enact your agenda than trying to pay off a politician to enact it on the hush hush.
  #49  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Airbeck Airbeck is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Chicago - South Side
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Special interests, of course. It's more effective having the people clamoring to enact your agenda than trying to pay off a politician to enact it on the hush hush.
What's really effective is both working together in concert
__________________
"Sometimes I think that the surest sign of intelligent life in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes
  #50  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Two flaws that jumped out at me.

First, it's not a given that a candidate that gets a lot of corporate money will win an election. Freakonomics did a pretty famous piece about the role of money in elections several years back, and this FiveThirtyEight article says something similar. To summarize:

- Spending and winning often go hand in hand, but that's a correlation and not a causation, since popular candidates tend to get more donations anyway.
- The stuff that campaigns spend money on isn't all that effective
Granted. But corporate money typically funds both sides of the election. Maybe it spends more on one side, but either way they can expect to get their ROI. And AOC isn't talking about this. Or, indeed, the other thing you're talking about. She's talking about just raw corruption - the revolving door of Washington and special interest groups, a well-established and well-known problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
Who is terrified of her? On the right, they call her the gift that keeps on giving. They think she's hilarious, not scary. Her 'Green New Deal' is the funniest thing to come out of Washington since Al Franken.
Yes - because The Daily Wire writes an average of slightly more than one article a day about politicians they find "funny". People like her ideas, she's phenomenally charismatic, and she's savvier on social media than basically anyone, up to and including the president. If those on the right aren't worried about her, they really should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
I don't doubt that AOC has good motives and intentions, but she is introducing a "bumper-sticker" mindset to politics (not that it wasn't there before, but she's worsening it.) Shortening every complex social/economic issue of the day down into a simple, incorrect, oversimplified misleading argument and then feeding it to the masses.
Care to elaborate on how this applies to what we're talking about here? At all?

Quote:
A younger, female, less-crass Democratic version of Trump.
This comparison is just so bad. So, so, so bad. For shame, man.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017