Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:25 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
White liberals dumb themselves down when they speak to black people, a new study contends

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.54b025a06356

There was a study conducted which found that white liberals “downshift” their presented competency when interacting with people they perceive as black. Conservatives did no such thing, and interacted with perceived blacks the same as they acted with perceived whites.

There was also an evaluation of the speeches of liberal and conservative politicians. They found that liberals dropped references to “agency” and “power” when speaking to audiences perceived as black. Conservatives did no such thing. The authors say this is because conservatives don’t want to interact with outgroups. This could be true. Conservatives could also feel that black people don’t want to hear what conservatives have to say because conservatives make assumptions about the political preferences of black people.

I’m more interested in the perceptions liberals have of black people. I believe the study has demonstrated that liberals treat people differently solely because of their race, and that this informs their preferred political policies. They believe they must be the “white knight” for black people because they are viewed as less competent. They also believe that “agency” is not worth discussing in front of black people. For me this strengthens personal anecdotal evidence of the complexities of race relations.

Perhaps liberals will view the results of the study differently.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-04-2018 at 11:26 AM.
  #2  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Velocity Velocity is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12,727
Sounds like an example of benevolent racism. Believing that Group X is disadvantaged doesn't necessarily mean a diminished view of them, but the two could easily go hand in hand - if you think Group X needs extra help and a boost, you may see them as needing help because of being inferior.
  #3  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:30 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Sounds like an example of benevolent racism. Believing that Group X is disadvantaged doesn't necessarily mean a diminished view of them, but the two could easily go hand in hand - if you think Group X needs extra help and a boost, you may see them as needing help because of being inferior.
I believe it demonstrates that liberals view blacks as less competent. Whether they want to help them or not, that’s how they feel in the current situation. I believe this is why liberals think they need special policies to boost black people. Agency is disregarded to potentially disastrous consequences.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-04-2018 at 11:32 AM.
  #4  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:46 AM
EscAlaMike EscAlaMike is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,068
Here's a link to the actual study from Yale

The authors of the study seem to presume that white liberals are "less biased" and more "well-intentioned".
  #5  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Here's a link to the actual study from Yale

The authors of the study seem to presume that white liberals are "less biased" and more "well-intentioned".
Do they offer any support in favor of the “well-intentioned” part? Seems like a projection of the authors own political preferences.
  #6  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Icarus's Avatar
Icarus Icarus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In front of my PC, y tu?
Posts: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Here's a link to the actual study from Yale

The authors of the study seem to presume that white liberals are "less biased" and more "well-intentioned".
Actually, no, that is a link to another article about the study, which contains a link to the study.

THIS is a link to the actual study:
https://psyarxiv.com/pv2ab/
__________________
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
- C. Darwin
  #7  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:11 PM
EscAlaMike EscAlaMike is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Actually, no, that is a link to another article about the study, which contains a link to the study.

THIS is a link to the actual study:
https://psyarxiv.com/pv2ab/
Thanks
  #8  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 28,000
This isn't really anything new. You'll find it referred to as "code shifting". I haven't given it a whole lot of thought but I'm not sure it's necessarily wrong to speak to different groups of people differently.
Also, who judged this? That is, who decided that they were speaking 'dumb' some people and not others? Could it be looked at as them speaking in a way that's more likely to engage their audience?
This, IIRC, is where I first heard the term.
  #9  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
This isn't really anything new. You'll find it referred to as "code shifting". I haven't given it a whole lot of thought but I'm not sure it's necessarily wrong to speak to different groups of people differently.
Also, who judged this? That is, who decided that they were speaking 'dumb' some people and not others? Could it be looked at as them speaking in a way that's more likely to engage their audience?
This, IIRC, is where I first heard the term.
I thought code switching was when black people talk to black people differently than they talk to whites. They change their speech to whites because they believe it will benefit them.

I don’t view changing speech patterns with different audiences as “wrong” either. I believe it does inform poor political policies to believe black people are less capable.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-04-2018 at 11:47 AM.
  #10  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 28,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I thought code switching was when black people talk to black people differently than they talk to whites.
What difference would it make? Black people talking to black people differently than white people could be called the same thing as white people talking to white people differently than black people. Substitute any groups in there that you want.

Also, code shifting is talking to two different groups of people differently. Whether both groups speak the same language but use different vernacular or the two groups speak two totally different languages.
So, in any case, it's still code shifting.
  #11  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
What difference would it make? Black people talking to black people differently than white people could be called the same thing as white people talking to white people differently than black people. Substitute any groups in there that you want.

Also, code shifting is talking to two different groups of people differently. Whether both groups speak the same language but use different vernacular or the two groups speak two totally different languages.
So, in any case, it's still code shifting.
Fair enough, I’ve just never heard it used in that context.

Though I must say that code switching to get a job is different from doing it because you believe the audience is at a lower competency. This ignores the political consequences as well.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-04-2018 at 11:53 AM.
  #12  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Joey P Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 28,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Fair enough, I’ve just never heard it used in that context.

Though I must say that code switching to get a job is different from doing it because you believe the audience is at a lower competency. This ignores the political consequences as well.
Regarding the Yale link, I see what they did was [objectively] count how many times certain words were used and then [subjectively] decided that it happens because white liberals think black audiences are dumb.
Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. I'm sure [well, I'd hope] the paper goes into much more detail. On the face of it, to me, it seems more like tailoring what you're saying to the audience in front of you.

I'd be curious about black politicians (from both sides) speaking to those same groups.

I'd also be curious if you took the same speech, spoken the same way as delivered to white liberals and presented it to black liberals, how'd they react. That is, would they feel energized to get up and vote or would it sound cold and heartless (or over their heads since that's what the study was about)?
  #13  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:53 AM
UnwittingAmericans UnwittingAmericans is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 112
Is that why Comey said "Lordy, I hope there are tapes" to the Senate Intelligence Committee? 'Cause he thinks Kamala Harris is black?
  #14  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:56 AM
Ashtura Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,554
Yeah, so? Black people talk to white people differently than they do to black people, probably to a much greater degree. I would consider this a mild form of code-switching.
  #15  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:02 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwittingAmericans View Post
Is that why Comey said "Lordy, I hope there are tapes" to the Senate Intelligence Committee? 'Cause he thinks Kamala Harris is black?
I think he is a conservative, no? Must just be how he talks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Yeah, so? Black people talk to white people differently than they do to black people, probably to a much greater degree. I would consider this a mild form of code-switching.
For the black example, the code being switched is from informal to formal because you think the audience expects formal.

For the white liberal example, the code switch is from full competency to lower competency because you think the audience... what? Can’t understand fully competent address? Expects simpler words? Fill in the blank please.
  #16  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 AM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup wolfpup is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
There was a study conducted which found that white liberals “downshift” their presented competency when interacting with people they perceive as black. Conservatives did no such thing, and interacted with perceived blacks the same as they acted with perceived whites.
I assume the point here is supposed to be that liberals are evil bigots. But I wonder about the conclusion, since I wouldn't "downshift" if conversing, say, with Barack or Michelle Obama, or Neil Degrasse Tyson. But let me offer an alternative hypothesis. Perhaps the real issue is that many people labeled as "liberals" are educated academics and professionals with a wide gamut of competency who are accustomed to adapting their vocabulary to different audiences. Whereas perhaps a significant number of conservatives are already cognitively in first gear, being accustomed to the vocabulary of Fox News.
  #17  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:06 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I assume the point here is supposed to be that liberals are evil bigots. But I wonder about the conclusion, since I wouldn't "downshift" if conversing, say, with Barack or Michelle Obama, or Neil Degrasse Tyson. But let me offer an alternative hypothesis. Perhaps the real issue is that many people labeled as "liberals" are educated academics and professionals with a wide gamut of competency who are accustomed to adapting their vocabulary to different audiences. Whereas perhaps a significant number of conservatives are already cognitively in first gear, being accustomed to the vocabulary of Fox News.
I would still say there is a bigger problem if the academic believes black people should engage in a lower level conversation. It informs his poor political policies because he may have some leverage in his capacity as an expert of whatever field.
  #18  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 37,935
I liked this paragraph particularly -
Quote:
The data doesn’t point to conclusions about whether the competence downshift is effective in smoothing fraught interactions. As the paper observes, the behavioral difference is subtle, and Dupree said it’s “possible that racial minorities don’t necessarily pick up on the shift.”
The poor dears can't even tell when they are being talked down to.

And of course -
Quote:
The findings could provide a new arrow in the quiver of those who decry identity politics practiced by liberals, and yet the paper hardly applauds conservatives for their approach, reasoning that they are simply “less motivated to affiliate with racial minorities.”
Treating someone as equal means you don't want to affiliate with them.

Dealing with Those People is fraught with difficulty. Treat them as inferior and you are being racist. Treat them as equals and it means you don't like them. What to do, what to do...

Regards,
Shodan
  #19  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
I see no evidence of "dumbing down" or "presuming less competence" in the linked article, despite the writers' and researchers' apparent assumptions. And I'll object to the completely unsurprising well poisoning by the OP in (once again) casting liberals as malevolent racists.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-04-2018 at 12:06 PM.
  #20  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:12 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I see no evidence of "dumbing down" or "presuming less competence" in the linked article, despite the writers' and researchers' apparent assumptions. And I'll object to the completely unsurprising well poisoning by the OP in (once again) casting liberals as malevolent racists.
I’m trying to understand why liberals would use lower level vocabulary when addressing black people. Do you have another reason they could be doing this.

I will not that have not poisoned any well. The topic is controversial, so the thinned-skin may think that. I have also not assigned malevolence to liberals. On the contrary I characterized them as “white knights”.
  #21  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:11 PM
control-z control-z is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,523
I have always felt that many well-off white liberals behave like benevolent racists towards black folks, often speaking for them and talking about them rather than to them.
  #22  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:14 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
There are no "higher level" and "lower level" words. There are just words. And languages and dialects. If liberals are more aware of the existence of dialects like African American Vernacular English, and sometimes make language choices to ensure that AAVE-only speakers understand their messaging, then that sounds to be entirely reasonable, compassionate, and appropriate. The assertion or implication that AAVE is "lower level" or less competent or in any other way less than any other dialects of English is highly bigoted (and sadly quite common).
  #23  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:20 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
There are no "higher level" and "lower level" words. There are just words. And languages and dialects. If liberals are more aware of the existence of dialects like African American Vernacular English, and sometimes make language choices to ensure that AAVE-only speakers understand their messaging, then that sounds to be entirely reasonable, compassionate, and appropriate. The assertion or implication that AAVE is "lower level" or less competent or in any other way less than any other dialects of English is highly bigoted (and sadly quite common).
The authors used words like “sad” instead of “melancholy”. What does that have to do with AAVE? Is “sad” exclusive to AAVE. Anyway, why would the author assume the recipient prefers AAVE, an outgroup dialect associated with poor economic success? Why is there no assumption that “Emily” prefers outgroup dialects spoken by whites?

In any case, I would bet that the authors themselves think words like ”sad” are dumbed down compared to words like “melancholy”. Most people understand that.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-04-2018 at 12:24 PM.
  #24  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:16 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
The linked article makes no reference to the existence of different dialects of English and I suspect that the author and researchers are unaware of their existence, or otherwise chose to ignore their existence.

AAVE is not "lower level" in discourse than any other dialect.
  #25  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,227
Conservative poster cites results of conservative study that finds conservatives are better people.
  #26  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:27 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Conservative poster cites results of conservative study that finds conservatives are better people.
Except the study authors bend over backwards to explain why conservatives are bigoted and liberals are still “well-intentioned”. I don’t know if they are conservative, but I doubt it.
  #27  
Old 12-04-2018, 02:15 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Conservative poster cites results of conservative study that finds conservatives are better people.
Which is quite a refreshing change from our usual fare of liberal posters citing results of liberal studies that find liberals are better people. Variety, it's the spice of life.
  #28  
Old 12-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 24,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Which is quite a refreshing change from our usual fare of liberal posters citing results of liberal studies that find liberals are better people. Variety, it's the spice of life.
Which obviously explains these quotes from the article:
Quote:
Their conservative counterparts, meanwhile, appear not to employ these stereotypes in the same way, as Dupree said, because, “we know empirically that white conservatives are less likely to be interested in getting along with racial minorities.” . . .

In tracking the word choices made by white Republican and Democratic presidential candidates before white and black voters, her sample size was limited primarily by “the number of speeches in which Republican presidential candidates showed up for black audiences,” she said. ...

"Despite the patronizing behavior that they enact, these liberal candidates may hold more goodwill toward minorities.”
Yay conservatives! You really won this study!
  #29  
Old 12-04-2018, 02:27 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Which obviously explains these quotes from the article: Yay conservatives! You really won this study!
I'm used to us not "winning" studies. Academia has bias. That's not news to me.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 12-04-2018 at 02:27 PM.
  #30  
Old 12-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Kearsen Kearsen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: austin texas
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Which obviously explains these quotes from the article: Yay conservatives! You really won this study!
Did you actually you know, read those quotes?

We know ...
and maybe , and might and possibly ?

Where are the studies that show they know what they are spouting off about?
Nonsense.

A thinly veiled attempt at covering up results that they dislike.
__________________
Kearsen
aka...RollingRock
  #31  
Old 12-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Which is quite a refreshing change from our usual fare of liberal posters citing results of liberal studies that find liberals are better people. Variety, it's the spice of life.
Is this thread about a liberal study? No. So why would I bring up the topic of liberal studies?
  #32  
Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 PM
HurricaneDitka HurricaneDitka is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 11,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Is this thread about a liberal study? No. So why would I bring up the topic of liberal studies?
Actually, I think it might be about a liberal study. Here are some of the comments in this thread about the study:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Here's a link to the actual study from Yale

The authors of the study seem to presume that white liberals are "less biased" and more "well-intentioned".
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Do they offer any support in favor of the “well-intentioned” part? Seems like a projection of the authors own political preferences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Except the study authors bend over backwards to explain why conservatives are bigoted and liberals are still “well-intentioned”. I don’t know if they are conservative, but I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Which obviously explains these quotes from the article:

Quote:
Their conservative counterparts, meanwhile, appear not to employ these stereotypes in the same way, as Dupree said, because, “we know empirically that white conservatives are less likely to be interested in getting along with racial minorities.” . . .

In tracking the word choices made by white Republican and Democratic presidential candidates before white and black voters, her sample size was limited primarily by “the number of speeches in which Republican presidential candidates showed up for black audiences,” she said. ...

"Despite the patronizing behavior that they enact, these liberal candidates may hold more goodwill toward minorities.”
Yay conservatives! You really won this study!

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 12-04-2018 at 04:28 PM.
  #33  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Sitnam Sitnam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 8,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Conservative poster cites results of conservative study that finds conservatives are better people.
We could compare, I guess, if conservatives talked to black people.
  #34  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:26 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
The authors used words like “sad” instead of “melancholy”. What does that have to do with AAVE? Is “sad” exclusive to AAVE. Anyway, why would the author assume the recipient prefers AAVE, an outgroup dialect associated with poor economic success?

In any case, I would bet that the authors themselves view words like ”sad” are dumbed down compared to words like “melancholy”.
Any discussion (or study) of language use and black people in America that ignores dialects, and AAVE in particular, is an incompetent study that can be dismissed in its entirety. The author of the linked article is apparently ignorant of AAVE. So, apparently, are the researchers referenced. This is sadly very common - lots and lots of Americans, liberal and moderate and conservative, are unaware of AAVE and assume that the dialect is simply lower level English (or some other bigoted categorization). Hopefully discussions like this can help to educate the ignorant about the existence and significance of AAVE, and maybe reduce the chances of ignorant articles and studies put out that ignore its existence (or worse, refer to it as "lower level" discourse).

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-04-2018 at 12:27 PM.
  #35  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:29 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Any discussion (or study) of language use and black people in America that ignores dialects, and AAVE in particular, is an incompetent study that can be dismissed in its entirety. The author of the linked article is apparently ignorant of AAVE. So, apparently, are the researchers referenced. This is sadly very common - lots and lots of Americans, liberal and moderate and conservative, are unaware of AAVE and assume that the dialect is simply lower level English (or some other bigoted categorization). Hopefully discussions like this can help to educate the ignorant about the existence and significance of AAVE, and maybe reduce the chances of ignorant articles and studies put out that ignore its existence (or worse, refer to it as "lower level" discourse).
Why didn’t the study subjects communicate with perceived whites in outgroup dialects spoken by whites?

Why must the black people be talked to in a dialect associated with poor economic success? Seems self-defeating and presumptuous.

The spectacle of thewhite guy “trying to be down” by using AAVE in order to be “compassionate” gives me a chuckle I must say. You understand an individual like this would and should be laughed at, right?

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-04-2018 at 12:32 PM.
  #36  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Why didn’t the study subjects communicate with perceived whites in outgroup dialects spoken by whites?
Based on the apparent incompetence of the study, they didn't consider dialect usage at all, and thus the study wouldn't tell us anything about whether this occurred or not. Furthermore, IMO there is a considerable lack in education and understanding of American English dialects in general, not just about AAVE.

Quote:
Why must the black people be talked to in a dialect associated with poor economic success? Seems self-defeating and presumptuous.
This paragraph just looks like a way to take a cheap shot at black Americans, and I'm not interested in responding to that.

Quote:
The spectacle of thewhite guy “trying to be down” by using AAVE in order to be “compassionate” gives me a chuckle I must say. You understand an individual like this would and should be laughed at, right?
No idea what you're talking about here, except perhaps to just deal in more cheap shots and caricatures. If you think taking dialect usage and fluency into account in crafting messaging is laughable, then we really don't have much to discuss.
  #37  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:45 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Based on the apparent incompetence of the study, they didn't consider dialect usage at all, and thus the study wouldn't tell us anything about whether this occurred or not. Furthermore, IMO there is a considerable lack in education and understanding of American English dialects in general, not just about AAVE.



This paragraph just looks like a way to take a cheap shot at black Americans, and I'm not interested in responding to that.



No idea what you're talking about here, except perhaps to just deal in more cheap shots and caricatures. If you think taking dialect usage and fluency into account in crafting messaging is laughable, then we really don't have much to discuss.
Ok maybe others will provide some insights on the word choice of liberals. Thanks for your contribution.
  #38  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:40 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Also in a situation where one side prefers AAVE and another prefers academic English (or whatever it’s called) why should the default be AAVE for the sake of compassion? Why doesn’t the AAVE user adopt academic Engiish for the sake of compassion?
  #39  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:22 PM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 37,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Also in a situation where one side prefers AAVE and another prefers academic English (or whatever it’s called) why should the default be AAVE for the sake of compassion? Why doesn’t the AAVE user adopt academic Engiish for the sake of compassion?
Could you say this again, using smaller words?

Regards,
Shodan
  #40  
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Ok maybe others will provide some insights on the word choice of liberals. Thanks for your contribution.
If you now recognize that calling or implying AAVE is "lower level discourse" is bigoted and wrong, then this might be the most productive discussion the two of us have ever had on this board, and I'll tip my hat to you for your open mind.
  #41  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:14 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
If you now recognize that calling or implying AAVE is "lower level discourse" is bigoted and wrong, then this might be the most productive discussion the two of us have ever had on this board, and I'll tip my hat to you for your open mind.
I never implied or called AAVE anything of the kind. I said AAVE was associated with poor economic success. It is. I called it an outgroup dialect which I believe is appropriate.

I did say that words like “sad” are lower level compared to words like “melancholy”. I said the language used by the study subjects with black people was lower level discourse. Lower level could mean many things. What I meant by “lower level” is that English speakers, broadly considered, will encounter and use words like “sad” at a lower level of language comprehension than the level at which they encounter and use words like “melancholy”. If you want to take the discussion of language further, I will not be able to indulge you in this thread.

Calling AAVE “lower level discourse” could be wrong depending on your definitions. It could be bigoted depending on your motivations. I will not make categorical claims on issues like these.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-04-2018 at 01:14 PM.
  #42  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:26 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I never implied or called AAVE anything of the kind. I said AAVE was associated with poor economic success. It is. I called it an outgroup dialect which I believe is appropriate.

I did say that words like “sad” are lower level compared to words like “melancholy”. I said the language used by the study subjects with black people was lower level discourse. Lower level could mean many things. What I meant by “lower level” is that English speakers, broadly considered, will encounter and use words like “sad” at a lower level of language comprehension than the level at which they encounter and use words like “melancholy”. If you want to take the discussion of language further, I will not be able to indulge you in this thread.

Calling AAVE “lower level discourse” could be wrong depending on your definitions. It could be bigoted depending on your motivations. I will not make categorical claims on issues like these.
What does "poor economic success" have to do with the article in the OP, or anything related to this discussion? Just more pointless cheap shots at black Americans.
  #43  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:32 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
What does "poor economic success" have to do with the article in the OP, or anything related to this discussion? Just more pointless cheap shots at black Americans.
I brought it up because I don’t understand why someone would choose to use that when communicating with someone considering that it is associated with lower incomes. I don’t think it is compassionate to encourage use of a dialect when doing so could bring poor economic outcomes.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-04-2018 at 01:34 PM.
  #44  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 24,750
I, for one, am greatly relieved that people of a certain fringe political stripe don't "dumb down" their language when they speak to black people about their fondness for the Confederacy and how Abraham Lincoln was the worst president ever. That would be patronizing!
  #45  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Vinyl Turnip Vinyl Turnip is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,784
Study notwithstanding, I would like to assure all of my black peers that when I speak to you, I am exactly as dumb as I appear to be.
  #46  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
What ever could you be speaking upon, Willis?
  #47  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,224
For those interested in the source material here it is.

It's an interesting study and discussion, that is poorly represented by a simple headline. It wasn't so much the liberals talked down to African American audiences, (ie I don't want to use the word melecholy because they wouldn't understand me) it is rather that they didn't use words that promoted their own competence (ie I don't want to use the word melancholy because it might sound like I'm trying to boast about my erudition.). Basically liberals were more concerned than conservatives with using language that might suggest their superiority when they were talking with blacks than when they were talking with other whites, while Conservatives were not so worried, and in some cases appeared more likely to to want to use words indicating their competence with blacks than when talking with whites.

They also found that there was a moderate negative interaction between "warmth" words and "competence" words, and that conservatives seem to be less likely to use warmth words with blacks than they are with whites, while there is no such significant change in liberals.

So basically white liberals were worried about appearing cold and like a know-it-all when talking to blacks, while conservatives either didn't care, or to some extent wanted to demonstrate their superiority.


I would also say that the statistics is a bit sketchy from a multiple comparisons point of view. They looked at 3 different measures of conservativeness in 5 different studies, and only found a few cases where the interaction between conservativeness and competence words was statistically significant (p<0.05) but the trends in the multiple studies seemed in the same direction so a meta analysis would probably show overall significance.
  #48  
Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
For those interested in the source material here it is.

It's an interesting study and discussion, that is poorly represented by a simple headline. It wasn't so much the liberals talked down to African American audiences, (ie I don't want to use the word melecholy because they wouldn't understand me) it is rather that they didn't use words that promoted their own competence (ie I don't want to use the word melancholy because it might sound like I'm trying to boast about my erudition.). Basically liberals were more concerned than conservatives with using language that might suggest their superiority when they were talking with blacks than when they were talking with other whites, while Conservatives were not so worried, and in some cases appeared more likely to to want to use words indicating their competence with blacks than when talking with whites.

They also found that there was a moderate negative interaction between "warmth" words and "competence" words, and that conservatives seem to be less likely to use warmth words with blacks than they are with whites, while there is no such significant change in liberals.

So basically white liberals were worried about appearing cold and like a know-it-all when talking to blacks, while conservatives either didn't care, or to some extent wanted to demonstrate their superiority.


I would also say that the statistics is a bit sketchy from a multiple comparisons point of view. They looked at 3 different measures of conservativeness in 5 different studies, and only found a few cases where the interaction between conservativeness and competence words was statistically significant (p<0.05) but the trends in the multiple studies seemed in the same direction so a meta analysis would probably show overall significance.
Why did they think blacks would react negatively from a show of competence?
  #49  
Old 12-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Why did they think blacks would react negatively from a show of competence?
If I elucidate my thoughts in the following manner than I might give the erroneous impression that rather than reach a level of comity with my audience that I was attempting to demonstrate my intellectual proficiency and evoke the notion that I am putting on airs, regardless of their ability to comprehend my meaning.

But if I talk like this then it makes it easier to tell that I am friendly and don't feel in any way better than they are,

If I am aware of the fact that there is distrust of me among a disadvantaged group I may go out of my way to show that I am inclusive. OR probably put better
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the paper
High-status group members are aware that low-status groups can see their group as racist (Vorauer, Hunter, Main, & O’Connell, 2000; Vorauer, Main, & O’Connell, 1998)—or cold, more generally; this may be why, when interacting with minorities, Whites wish to appear likeable (Bergsieker, Shelton, & Richeson, 2012). However, some Whites may feel more concerned than others about how they appear in the eyes of minorities. Whites with the most egalitarian attitudes might be those who most desire to connect with minorities—but still lack the skills to act on their well-intentioned beliefs. Whites who do have concerns about appearing nonprejudiced tend to feel more anxiety and less enjoyment in interracial contexts (Shelton, 2003; Shelton, West, & Trail, 2010; Vorauer, Main, & O’Connell, 1998).

More generally, socio-political attitudes are linked with Whites’ intergroup prejudice and discrimination (Ho, Sidanius, Cuddy, & Banaji, 2013; Jost, Banaji, & Nosek, 2004; Knowles, Lowery, Hogan & Chow, 2009; Kteily, Cotterill, Sidanius, Sheehy-Skeffington, & Bergh, 2014; Thompsen, Green, & Sidanius, 2008). As such, those who describe themselves as lowest in socio-political conservatism (i.e., the most liberal) may be most likely to want to affiliate and therefore adjust their responses in outgroup (versus ingroup) settings.
So basically white liberals are trying to hard not to sound condescending and in the process are actually being condescending.
  #50  
Old 12-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 37,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
If I elucidate my thoughts in the following manner than I might give the erroneous impression that rather than reach a level of comity with my audience that I was attempting to demonstrate my intellectual proficiency and evoke the notion that I am putting on airs, regardless of their ability to comprehend my meaning.
Oh stewardess - I speak jive.

Golly,
Shodan
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017