Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 AM

Cover songs that missed the spirit of the originals?

Inspired by the numerous threads we've had about great cover songs, but going the other direction.

What cover song do you think missed the mark the most? I'm not looking for worst versions. But covers that just missed the point.

My contribution is the classic Kiss song Rock N Roll All Night. It's a great song (albeit still overplayed), and it has infectious energy. I'm physically unable to keep my toe from tapping, or my fingers from drumming. It's a great song for what it is.

In the 80s, it got remade by Poison for the "Less than Zero" soundtrack. Little more glam than the original, but still decent. Still rocks, and the energy's diminished, but you can still here it trying to escape.

Fast forward to 1994, and the very same song was covered by Toad the Wet Sprocket.

I'm not calling the TtWS version bad, per se. But it's so vastly different from the original that there's no drive to it. There's no energy. It's completely stripped of all of the power that made the original so great, and the Poison version at least decent.

It's like a neutered version of a rock song. Like finding a Kidz Bop version of "You Oughta Know" or something.

So...any others you can think of?
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."

Last edited by Chronos; 12-04-2018 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Fixed link codes