Old 12-04-2018, 04:27 PM

”Piece of My Heart” by Faith Hill. Strips not just the soul of the song, but Janis Joplin’s soul as well, buries it in a shallow grave in the forest, burns the forest down and then builds a crappy suburban strip mall on top of it.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
”Piece of My Heart” by Faith Hill. Strips not just the soul of the song, but Janis Joplin’s soul as well, buries it in a shallow grave in the forest, burns the forest down and then builds a crappy suburban strip mall on top of it.
You just beat me to it. How can a cover of probably the most passionately emotional song ever recorded be devoid of all passion and emotion?

(ETA: What a terrible video, too.)

Last edited by Wheelz; 12-04-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Ah, yes, I forget about that one. Yeah, he did pretty much the exact same thing to that song, too. Just took all the color and life out of and turned it into shades of beige.
Can we add his "You Can't Hurry Love"?
Old 12-04-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio View Post
When I saw the thread title I thought the impetus would be the terrible Zombie cover that is currently getting played constantly. The original version by the Cranberries is unique, and full of tension and urgency, and iconic. Not to mention is a protest song written by an Irish band about an IRA bombing.

Then in 2018 some ultra bland American radio-metal band called Bad Wolves does the most generic, boring cover imaginable. At least they are giving the proceeds from the song to Dolores O'Riordan's children... but to me it sounds like the most lame cover I've ever heard. I'm reading now that Dolores was actually planning to sing the song with the band before her death, bizarre.

My only complaint about the Weezer/Toto cover, is that they didn't do anything to make it their own. Aside from a little more distortion form the guitars in the chorus, it sounds like an almost identical recording. Shrug.
And the fact they changed the lyrics to include "Drones" and "2018" to make it, like, modern maaaaaaan just ruins it further
Old 12-04-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Vanilla Fudge's cover of You Keep Me Hangin' On strays quite a bit from the tone of the Supreme's version.
But it's awesome in its own right.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM

Personally I find that Janis Joplin frequently overdid the soul side of her song far too much, and Piece of my Heart was one such example,

so here is the original,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y3dTPhvmA0

here is one that completely lost the original spirit in the cover - obviously a Christian witnessing song that has been subsumed into pretty boy culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3cVDB5rOxI

and the Boyzone version - to thrill little star obsessed teenage girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eul_Vt6SZY
Old 12-04-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post
Personally I find that Janis Joplin frequently overdid the soul side of her song far too much, and Piece of my Heart was one such example,

so here is the original,

I had no idea that Big Brother & the Holding Company was not the original. Ignorance fought.

I'm sure we can agree that Faith Hill's version sucks, though.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:50 PM

However big a hit it was, Whitney Houston's cover of "I will Always Love You" completely misses the bittersweet breakup song that Dolly Parton originally wrote and sang.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
However big a hit it was, Whitney Houston's cover of "I will Always Love You" completely misses the bittersweet breakup song that Dolly Parton originally wrote and sang.
Oh wow. Thankyou for posting that second link. I never even knew that song could actually be good.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:47 PM

My favorite Who song is "Behind Blue Eyes". It lives by its tension in the lyrics and the dynamics in the arrangement and recording. You know, it starts slowly, acoustic, but brooding and in the end explodes when Moon's drums and Townshend's mighty riffing set in. It's always cathartic for me to hear this song. Then bloody Limp Bizkit did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEQpfA528M

They left out the exploding, orgasmic part and decided to add instead some of their own puerile lyrics to the acoustic part, which they played utterly bad.

What a travesty.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I had no idea that Big Brother & the Holding Company was not the original. Ignorance fought.

I'm sure we can agree that Faith Hill's version sucks, though.
I just have to add that Dusty Springfield also made a great cover. Produced by John Paul Jones.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 PM

Not a cover (I think they used the original CCR version), but some commercial used the opening of Fortunate Son my Creedence Clearwater Revival to promote patriotism and American pride in their product (I think a car).

"Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue"

I'd love to see the faces of those who listened to the rest of the song and heard:

"And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one, no "

I also heard the Volunteers of America part of Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane used in commercial to promote their American made product. Uhhh...do the ad writers listen to the whole song?

Last edited by lingyi; 12-04-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotherYinzer View Post
Madonna's version of American Pie is a dreadful, dreadful trainwreck.
When that song came out, DJs were bombarded with requests to NOT play it.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I'm not aware of it ever being on the radio or even included on an album, but Miley Cyrus covered "Smells Like Teen Spirit." You can find it on youtube. Those words; Miley and Cyrus and Smells Like Teen Spirit all in one sentence just...I don't know...something has gone wrong.
Tori Amos covered the song, and while Tori can bring the rage, she doesn't bring it in this cover: it's gently melancholy and weirdly hot. Absolutely a different spirit from the original, but I kinda like it .
Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
My favorite Who song is "Behind Blue Eyes". It lives by its tension in the lyrics and the dynamics in the arrangement and recording. You know, it starts slowly, acoustic, but brooding and in the end explodes when Moon's drums and Townshend's mighty riffing set in. It's always cathartic for me to hear this song. Then bloody Limp Bizkit did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEQpfA528M

They left out the exploding, orgasmic part and decided to add instead some of their own puerile lyrics to the acoustic part, which they played utterly bad.

What a travesty.
I don't consider Limp Biskit to have missed the spirit of the original. It's more like they defecated on, sodomized, and murdered it.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch8 View Post
I don't consider Limp Biskit to have missed the spirit of the original. It's more like they defecated on, sodomized, and murdered it.
I didn't want to put it so drastically, but yeah, you're right .
Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Boy oh boy do I disagree with all of this. There is no way a song describing the night of a boyfriend killing his girlfriend in a car accident can be anything but sad. The original version makes absolutely no sense as the peppy 60s beat. Pearl Jam nailed it.

I can't say the same for the subtext or whatever about Disturbed's version of Sound of Silence other than it takes the original's creepy vibe and makes it more powerful.
Agreed. I grew up listening to Simon and Garfunkel, and am a big fan of Paul Simon. And very much not a fan of metal. But Disturbed’s “Sound Of Silence” absolutely nailed the song’s outrage at the alienation and isolation it’s describing. It’s a powerful cover of a powerful song.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillownedbysetters View Post
Had her and had done with her. Clapton and Patti Boyd divorced in 1988 and the acoustic version of Layla was recorded in 2004.
That's kinda the point
Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRhino View Post
That's kinda the point
Honestly, as much as I admire Clapton (particularly him, Jack and Ginger playing with Cream), I suspect he knew when he redid Layla he could never surpass the original recording fueled by unrequited love and drugs, so rearranged it. I haven't seen him play Layla in a while, but I've noticed he started to pass on some of the playing to other members of his band..

In an interview, he said he had listened to some Cream bootlegs and was impressed he was able to play how he did. When the interviewer asked him if it was because he couldn't play like that anymore, Clapton said something like: "I didn't say I couldn't play like that anymore, I was just impressed by my playing back then".

I'm just glad for Cream bootlegs which caught him at his best!

Last edited by lingyi; 12-04-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Club mix of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car". Jonas Blue, I think. Just So Wrong on every level. "Fast Car" should in no way be a boppy upbeat "club" song.
Don't think you can ever accuse Xiu Xiu of doing (anything) upbeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XOldiesJock View Post
Recently, Weezer did a totally lifeless remake of Toto's "Africa." If you're going to do a remake, at least make an effort to add something to it.
I don't care whether they did a good job or not so much. That song bothers me more because they're middle aged men capitalizing on a brief resurgence of a meme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
The Monkees. You are saying the Monkees did a gritty earnest version.
Neil Diamond, though the Monkees certainly popularized it.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
Can we add his "You Can't Hurry Love"?
Yeah, add it to the list!
Old 12-05-2018, 08:27 AM

Laibach's cover of War, in which they list all of the things war is actually good for.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Oh wow. Thankyou for posting that second link. I never even knew that song could actually be good.
I know most people only associate Dolly Parton with Dollywood, big hair, and big breasts. But she’s a highly talented singer and songwriter; it wasn’t her boobs that made her a legend of country music.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post
Laibach's cover of War, in which they list all of the things war is actually good for.
That's intentional. Also their cover of Queen's One Vision makes the original lyrics seem creepy and fascist in retrospect.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Neil Diamond, though the Monkees certainly popularized it.
They popularised it because they were the ones who recorded it. I was about to say Diamond only wrote it but looking more closely at the wiki article, he also apparently played some guitar on their recording.

Eta: I stand slightly corrected, Diamond did record it but his was released after the Monkees.

Last edited by CarnalK; 12-05-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Joyce Cobb's cover of Walking in Memphis really pisses me off. After the lyrics "But do you really know the way I feel?", she inserts, "I feel okay. I feel all right. I feel okay."

For god's sake, girl, the song is in your repertoire. Have you never actually listened to it?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Worst example I ever heard was Blinded By The Light covered by Manfred Mann and his Earth Band. He even tweaked the lyrics, making his cover a laughing stock.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Sweet Jesus...
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOldiesJock View Post
Recently, Weezer did a totally lifeless remake of Toto's "Africa." If you're going to do a remake, at least make an effort to add something to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
When I heard about this, I figured that Weezer would totally make fun of the song. But instead they went for a respectful, note-for-note cover. Maybe they really like the original? Who'd a thunk it?....
When I first heard it, I wondered, what is that station (DC101) doing, playing Toto? Even now, having known for months that it's Weezer, I can barely tell the difference.

Which really took Weezer down a few notches in my estimation. I've got a lot more respect for artists that try to do something different with a cover, and fall flat on their faces with it, than artists who don't do anything different other than what's inevitable because it's a different group with a different sound. And in this case, you don't even get that.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Oh, and an easy nominee here is the recent cover of "Sound of Silence" by Disturbed. It's a good performance, fun to sing to, but it totally misses the point of the song.
I found it interesting

Bad remakes: at the moment somebody has done a remake of "Tell it to my heart". Don't know the name of the artist, but they might prefer to remain anonymous.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I was going to suggest a bad cover song, but you’ve kind of wasted the competition with that one. OMG, that’s awful.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:33 AM

I've never been a great Bon Jovi fan, mainly because I never got "living on a prayer". With lyrics all about sadness and misery, somehow the boomba-boomba bass and the happy chant chorus just didn't fit. It wasn't until many years later that I learned the song was written as a ballad and then got produced into a hit by the Canadian chartbuster Bruce Fairbairn (AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc.). So essentially they covered their own song and definitely not in the spirit it was written.

The Italian ska band Giuliano Palma & The Bluebeaters did a cover of "Don't Bring Me Down" (ELO) that totally breaks with the spirit of the original. It's still lots of fun though and it revealed to me that ELO songs may be slightly overrated to begin with.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingwithgas View Post
sweet jesus...
iswydt
Old 12-07-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Fast forward to 1994, and the very same song was covered by Toad the Wet Sprocket.

I'm not calling the TtWS version bad, per se. But it's so vastly different from the original that there's no drive to it. There's no energy. It's completely stripped of all of the power that made the original so great, and the Poison version at least decent.
The problem with this cover is that Toad the Wet Sprocket does not "rock". Neither at night nor part of every day.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Boy oh boy do I disagree with all of this. There is no way a song describing the night of a boyfriend killing his girlfriend in a car accident can be anything but sad. The original version makes absolutely no sense as the peppy 60s beat. Pearl Jam nailed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I would argue that Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss" misses the point of music and joy and a reason to live.
These two posts make clear that often, the meaning of a song is in the ear of the belistener. But I will make the important argument here: the "spirit of the original" is ALWAYS the spirit with which it is imbued by the original artist. In the case of this song, that was actually Wayne Cochran, who wrote it, and recorded it, and got no where with it. You can listen to his original version here. As you can hear, this is almost identical to the version done by J. Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers. Since they essentially popularized the song (I doubt much of anyone recalls the attempt by Cochran to get people to listen to it), and sang essentially the same spirit to the song, we can, I think, consider it the "spirit of the original".

And it is quite clear that, for whatever reason (popularity of that type of music, most likely), the original spirit of the song is upbeat, NOT downbeat. Pearl Jam's version may make more "sense" to some, but it totally misses the "spirit of the original". As shown by the quotes above, that may be good or bad; ymmv.

Quote:
I can't say the same for the subtext or whatever about Disturbed's version of Sound of Silence other than it takes the original's creepy vibe and makes it more powerful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Agreed. I grew up listening to Simon and Garfunkel, and am a big fan of Paul Simon. And very much not a fan of metal. But Disturbed’s “Sound Of Silence” absolutely nailed the song’s outrage at the alienation and isolation it’s describing. It’s a powerful cover of a powerful song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
I found it interesting
The original "Sounds of Silence" is not a song of "outrage". If you think so, I suggest re-listening to the lyrics. It's a song about futility, a resigned confession to the darkness that no one is "listening", that the masses are just led by whatever bright, shiny thing catches their eye at the moment. There's no "outrage". And whatever "creepy" vibe it has, that vibe is not in any way helped by the fact that Disturbed take the third verse, kick it up an octave, and start screaming their way through the song, as if in some deft counter-point to the whole concept of the "sound of silence".

As I said, their cover is eminently listenable; I have it on my iTunes and it gets played fairly often by choice. But it totally misses the point, the "spirit" of the original.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Sorry, you have to beat this to declare victory
Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM

"Ol' Man River" is probably the most iconic song of the burden of black slaves at the hands of white owners. That is, until Bing Crosby came up with his jazzy, upbeat version.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I had no idea that Big Brother & the Holding Company was not the original [Piece of My Heart]. Ignorance fought.
Sometimes life can surprise you. A while back at a party on the host's mix tape the Flying Lizards' version of Money (That's What I Want) came up.1 The host, about ten years younger than I, indicated he thought it was original with them. "You gotta be kidding me!" I said.2 "The Beatles did it like fifty years ago."

When I got home I went to YouTube to send him a link to what the "original" sounded like, only to discover the Fab Four's version was itself a cover of R&B artist, Barrett Strong's version.

Knowing the Beatles' early history I should have known. I confessed my ignorance in the email I sent the host.

1Not that it's grist for this thread; I kind of like it.

2I mean, he's a Deadhead for crying out loud.

Last edited by DesertDog; 12-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:28 PM

The Carpenters covered 'Ticket to Ride'( Beatles) in a slow ballad-y version. It is bad. It seems they got good reviews though. They did a bunch of covers.
Harry Nilsson did a whole album of standards. Some were pretty good.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
The problem with this cover is that Toad the Wet Sprocket does not "rock". Neither at night nor part of every day.
It seems pretty clear to me that the cover is at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Heck, even Gene Simmons had good things to say about it:

Quote:
I give that an absolute 'A' just for balls-to-the-wall bravery ... to me, Toad's version is every bit as relevant as everyone else's, ours included."
Cite.

I've never heard that cover before, but, yes, it fits the OP very well, but it's also a pretty good cover.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:40 PM

How about Nils Lofgren's cover of For Your Love? It was so sleepy it knocked the entire Cry Tough album down from an A to about a B-.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:42 PM

How about Nils Lofgren's cover of For Your Love? It was so sleepy it knocked the entire Cry Tough album down from a solid A to about a B-.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
The problem with this cover is that Toad the Wet Sprocket does not "rock".
Which is also what dooms Britany Spear's version of "I Love Rock and Roll"
Old 12-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Hilary Duff covering "My Generation."

She changes a crucial line: "Hope I don't die before I get old."

https://youtu.be/ue5kotMLjws
Old 12-07-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
Bowie’s John, I’m Only Dancing, released in 1972, is an amazing song, with all the hard rocking, gender-bending beauty of the best early Bowie music.

He remade it in 1974, changing everything but the chorus and making it into a disco track.

Not your best idea, Dave.
I actually love the soul version, "John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)" because I think it draws a perfect parallel between Bowie's mental states at each time. I'm not sure that was necessarily his intention but I think the artistry in the second version is how much it seems a perversion of the original. It's coked out, plastic, bloated, goes on and on and on, etc.

There's a BBC documentary called Cracked Actor about Bowie's move to Hollywood and his change in direction from glam rock to plastic soul, a term that he quoted to describe his music during this period, so I don't think he was completely ignorant about the impression it put out there. The documentary ends with his live performance of "John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)" and a stoic voiceover proclaiming something like "So, he finally became a soul singer" with aerial footage of the Hollywood Bowl.

But the original, unaired cut that the BBC (probably wisely) decided to edit showed Bowie being filmed (without his knowledge) through a crack in his dressing room door as he chugs milk, sniffs from an enormous bag of coke and slumps down in a chair, staring at himself in the mirror, all soundtracked to "John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)". When he realizes he's being filmed, he jumps up, pulls a girl into the room with him, leans out and says something to the cameraman with a somewhat threatening, cartoonish grin before slamming the door in his face.

As a huge Bowie fan, I always loved that juxtaposition and felt it was so perfectly resonant of his fractured mental state at the time. So, I totally agree with you, it missed the point of the original. But I actually think it was artistically, though most likely unintentionally, brilliant.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Any version of "Angel of the morning".

All the versions you've heard, including Juice Newton, play the song as an adult women. So the implication is that it's a one night stand, or it's a doomed relationship for some other reason.

But in 1967, Billie Davis, then only 21~22, sang it as a teenager in love with an alder man. As she had been at 17. There's an underlying background of naive innocence and trust and hope that just doesn't exist in the later well known versions.

Angel of the morning
Old 12-08-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post

All the versions you've heard, including Juice Newton, play the song as an adult women. So the implication is that it's a one night stand, or it's a doomed relationship for some other reason.

But in 1967, Billie Davis, then only 21~22, sang it as a teenager in love with an alder man. As she had been at 17. There's an underlying background of naive innocence and trust and hope that just doesn't exist in the later well known versions.

Angel of the morning
That was nice. I had never heard of this singer.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdave View Post

so here is the original,

I didn't know Aretha had a big sister. I like that version better than Janis. I also preferred the original version of Cry Baby by Garnet Mimms.

I know this is heresy coming from a child of the 60s, but I always thought Janis sounded rather like she was being burned alive.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:

Angel of the morning
I thought she was a working girl actually ……..
Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Angel of the morning

I am sad that I am only now learning of this version. It is lovely, and does read 100% "been there, felt that" authentic.