Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 43,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
This reinforces criticisms libertarians and conservatives have of the liberal political program. Why should black people not be concerned about agency? Because white liberals want to be the white knight who lifts black people up against evil whites. The black person is an atom ping-ponging around in the white man’s universe. Black people rise and fall because of what the white man does and they are helpless to overcome this fate. They must bond together in communion with good whites against the bad whites.
Speaking of agency, there's nothing I love quite as much as watching a conservative try to argue that blacks are being taken for a ride by the Democrats, because none of you guys can seem to figure out that, "Conservatives aren't nearly as racist as you think, and you'd see that if you weren't collectively too stupid to see through Democrat lies," is a self-refuting argument.

Last edited by Miller; 12-05-2018 at 11:29 PM.
  #102  
Old 12-05-2018, 11:49 PM
Dacien Dacien is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 103
In my personal life I try to dumb down my language to everyone equally, because 5 dollar words, even if more descriptive and accurate, tend to distract rather than elucidate.

Last edited by Dacien; 12-05-2018 at 11:50 PM.
  #103  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 AM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,239
OK, so we have some evidence that white liberal politicians aren't quite as non-racist as some people would like to think.

This is news? I bet you could ask any black person, and they could tell you some stories.

However, what's the takeaway here? That liberals are the real racists? Is that the takeaway? I guess with this new study, 2020 is gonna be the year that the Negroes are finally going to start voting Republican? Why exactly is it, do you think, that although white liberals are also kinda racist, black people don't wanna vote Republican? Is 2020 going to be the year when Republicans crack double digits in the percentage of the black vote? Why is it, do you think, that black voters vote overwhelmingly for white liberals, who it seems are a bit racist, over conservatives? What's wrong with the Negroes, that they keep voting for the racist white liberals?
  #104  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:02 AM
Chisquirrel Chisquirrel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I just recognize that the findings of the study tell us about why the liberals favor certain policies.
Can you explain that, then? Slowly, for us dumb folk that don't like big words.
  #105  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 37,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
OK, so we have some evidence that white liberal politicians aren't quite as non-racist as some people would like to think.

This is news? I bet you could ask any black person, and they could tell you some stories.

However, what's the takeaway here?
That liberals feel the need to talk down to black people, and conservatives don't. And that liberals are afraid that if they talk to black people as they would to everyone else, they will be thought of as racist, and conservatives aren't.

Regards,
Shodan
  #106  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
That liberals feel the need to talk down to black people, and conservatives don't. And that liberals are afraid that if they talk to black people as they would to everyone else, they will be thought of as racist, and conservatives aren't.

Regards,
Shodan
There's no actual data that suggests this is the case, but feel free to crow your preconceived notions (and apparent ignorance of the facts of language and dialect), if you like.
  #107  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
nm (duplicate)

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-06-2018 at 09:27 AM.
  #108  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 AM
ZPG Zealot ZPG Zealot is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Ok thanks for your input.



Why would white liberals think agency is not valuable to black folks? It seems like an empowering concept. The black folks I’m familiar with value empowerment and agency just as much if not moreso than white folks. Maybe white liberals do not share this experience and do not have data to support such a claim. Unfortunate. Maybe they would adopt better policies if they did.



Why do they think white people would be more comfortable with “melancholy” while black people would be more comfortable with “sad”?
Maybe they talked to some actual black leaders (like ministers who are used to connecting with large audiences who may not have had prep school educations or taken SAT word building classes) and they suggested that approach. Or maybe, and I realize this is a radical concept to Republicans, they talked to actual black people in the community who suggested this would be the better way to connect to their friends and neighbors.

Last edited by ZPG Zealot; 12-06-2018 at 09:28 AM.
  #109  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,239
So why is it, do you think, that the negroes foolishly keep voting for these racist white liberals rather than the egalitarian white conservatives? It's a puzzlement.
  #110  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 6,794
NM

Last edited by bobot; 12-06-2018 at 09:32 AM.
  #111  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Shodan Shodan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 37,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
There's no actual data that suggests this is the case, but feel free to crow your preconceived notions (and apparent ignorance of the facts of language and dialect), if you like.
Apart from the study cited in the OP, you mean.

Regards,
Shodan
  #112  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:11 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Apart from the study cited in the OP, you mean.

Regards,
Shodan
That study does not support your conclusions in any way at all. Right-wing fantasizing doesn't equal a data-supported conclusion (especially one with such unscientific and subjective assertions like "talking down to..." and "afraid they will be thought of..."). Those are political opinions, not scientific conclusions. There's no possible data (aside from, possibly, very specific and focused polling that asks these specific questions) that could possibly indicate such unscientific assertions as "talking down to..." or "afraid they will be thought of as...".

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 12-06-2018 at 10:12 AM.
  #113  
Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 24,750
After looking through the study, one theme from the authors is that people who want to be liked by minorities engage in the downshift. So both Democratic and Republican politicians engage in a downshift, but Democrats to a greater degree. The conclusion also hypothesizes that conservatives who are not politicians or students at a university seem to have less interest in affiliating with a minority partner as compared to a white one.
  #114  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I have no interest in rehabilitating Trump “conservatives”. You asked about Trump, so I told you what I thought about his speech.

Being condescending is probably the least objectionable thing liberals do to sell their snake oil. If you have a problem, talk to the authors of the study and tell them their fiindings are counterproductive. I just recognize that the findings of the study tell us about why the liberals favor certain policies.
Then please do help me out here. Tell me a specific liberal and what exactly the findings of this study tell us about why that person favors a specific policy. Because if this cannot be done, as I've said, I see no point to it.
  #115  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post

This reinforces criticisms libertarians and conservatives have of the liberal political program.
Sadly, it probably will. Sad, because it makes it easy to group a wide swath of people, who may describe themselves as "liberal", but who even so still express a variety of beliefs, as a monolithic like-thinking group. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a thousand times: liberals [insert criticism of choice] do this, and liberals do that, oftentimes based on nothing more than what a single liberal did that is in the news that day. This is not limited to liberal bashers of course, but to me it's the biggest problem on social media today. No, not every liberal wants to turn government over to the communists and not every conservative wants to ban African-Americans from voting.

This "study" is nothing more than a continuation of this sort of thing, dressed up in fancy statistical terms.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 12-06-2018 at 11:40 AM.
  #116  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
So. yeah, this is a case where some conservatives do not mind about how deep they keep digging...
I have no idea why you think I care about or wish to defend what Donald says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Speaking of agency, there's nothing I love quite as much as watching a conservative try to argue that blacks are being taken for a ride by the Democrats, because none of you guys can seem to figure out that, "Conservatives aren't nearly as racist as you think, and you'd see that if you weren't collectively too stupid to see through Democrat lies," is a self-refuting argument.
Then perhaps you should find a thread where they are doing that if you love it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
OK, so we have some evidence that white liberal politicians aren't quite as non-racist as some people would like to think.

This is news? I bet you could ask any black person, and they could tell you some stories.

However, what's the takeaway here? That liberals are the real racists? Is that the takeaway? I guess with this new study, 2020 is gonna be the year that the Negroes are finally going to start voting Republican? Why exactly is it, do you think, that although white liberals are also kinda racist, black people don't wanna vote Republican? Is 2020 going to be the year when Republicans crack double digits in the percentage of the black vote? Why is it, do you think, that black voters vote overwhelmingly for white liberals, who it seems are a bit racist, over conservatives? What's wrong with the Negroes, that they keep voting for the racist white liberals?
The takeaway is that one possible reason white liberals endorse policies to elevate certain minorities based skin color is because they believe the minorities are not as competent as their white competitors.

Perhaps you could find a study to answer your questions about black voting habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
Can you explain that, then? Slowly, for us dumb folk that don't like big words.
Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPG Zealot View Post
Maybe they talked to some actual black leaders (like ministers who are used to connecting with large audiences who may not have had prep school educations or taken SAT word building classes) and they suggested that approach. Or maybe, and I realize this is a radical concept to Republicans, they talked to actual black people in the community who suggested this would be the better way to connect to their friends and neighbors.
Possibly but my personal experience suggests “power” and “agency” speeches would be embraced by black folks. I understand that you may not be convinced by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
So why is it, do you think, that the negroes foolishly keep voting for these racist white liberals rather than the egalitarian white conservatives? It's a puzzlement.
Yes it is. I don’t have the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
After looking through the study, one theme from the authors is that people who want to be liked by minorities engage in the downshift. So both Democratic and Republican politicians engage in a downshift, but Democrats to a greater degree. The conclusion also hypothesizes that conservatives who are not politicians or students at a university seem to have less interest in affiliating with a minority partner as compared to a white one.
Any thoughts on why individual-empowering language is dropped by white liberals?
  #117  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Sadly, it probably will. Sad, because it makes it easy to group a wide swath of people, who may describe themselves as "liberal", but who even so still express a variety of beliefs, as a monolithic like-thinking group. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a thousand times: liberals [insert criticism of choice] do this, and liberals do that, oftentimes based on nothing more than what a single liberal did that is in the news that day. This is not limited to "liberal" bashers of course, but to me it's the biggest problem on social media today. No, not every liberal wants to turn government over to the communists and not every conservative wants to ban African-Americans from voting.

This "study" is nothing more than a continuation of this sort of thing, dressed up in fancy statistical terms. It is worthless.
A valid critique of soft-“science” in general.
  #118  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Then please do help me out here. Tell me a specific liberal and what exactly the findings of this study tell us about why that person favors a specific policy. Because if this cannot be done, as I've said, I see no point to it.
Not much can be assumed on an individual level. If you want to take a radical individualist stance, I encourage it. This may be one of those few instances where liberals do that, so I will take what I can get.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-06-2018 at 11:45 AM.
  #119  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Not much can be assumed on an individual level. If you want to take a radical individualist stance, I encourage it. This may be one of those few instances where liberals do that, so I will take what I can get.
You just did what I just now criticized.
  #120  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Ashtura Ashtura is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,554
There very well may be small bit of soft bigotry of low expectations at play, however I think perhaps part of it is also the perception that black people are more "real" and appreciate authenticity. I don't think they are the same thing, though they are both likely based on stereotypes which may or may not be based on reality. I do not think the latter is is as harmful as the former.

I mean, if you're having a bad day and somebody asks how you're feeling, nobody (wierdos excepted) says "melancholy", nor or bunch of other flowery words, which, lets face it, a lot of people deliberately use to appear more intelligent in their writing, and nothing more. So if you're going to be "real" in writing, it will match the way you talk.

Iis "being real" the same thing as "dumbing down"? I don't really think so, but even so, I think the intent is totally different. The former is not assuming the audience is unintelligent or illiterate, the latter does assume that. Intent determines how "bad" it is in my opinion.
  #121  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
More post to try to make my point, and it's a suggestion: from now on, when the study is quoted and/or spoken of directly, you can no longer just use the term "liberal". You have to qualify it according to the self-identified liberals in the study. So, you would say, "liberals who self identify as extremely liberal are shown in the study to...", or "liberals who self identify as only moderately liberal are shown in the study to...", etc. Because again, liberals are not monolithic in their thinking, so it makes no sense to use a single term that suggests they are.
  #122  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 24,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Any thoughts on why individual-empowering language is dropped by white liberals?
Did you read the study?
  #123  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller Miller is online now
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 43,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Then perhaps you should find a thread where they are doing that if you love it so much.
No, it fits just fine here, thanks.
  #124  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:15 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I have no idea why you think I care about or wish to defend what Donald says.
Simple logic, if liberals are the bogeyman here, it follows that the effort here is to aggrandize conservatives that do not follow Trump *. An attempt to aggrandize with a very, very weak tea argument.






* Unfortunately those conservatives that do not follow or defend Trump nowadays are doing the way of the Dodo bird.
  #125  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:12 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
You just did what I just now criticized.
It was a good criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Simple logic, if liberals are the bogeyman here, it follows that the effort here is to aggrandize conservatives that do not follow Trump *. An attempt to aggrandize with a very, very weak tea argument.

* Unfortunately those conservatives that do not follow or defend Trump nowadays are doing the way of the Dodo bird.
I agree that they are as well, nonetheless they exist. And even when they don’t like Trump it is too often for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.
  #126  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:15 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
More post to try to make my point, and it's a suggestion: from now on, when the study is quoted and/or spoken of directly, you can no longer just use the term "liberal". You have to qualify it according to the self-identified liberals in the study. So, you would say, "liberals who self identify as extremely liberal are shown in the study to...", or "liberals who self identify as only moderately liberal are shown in the study to...", etc. Because again, liberals are not monolithic in their thinking, so it makes no sense to use a single term that suggests they are.
Ok are “liberals who self-identify as extremely liberal” a monolithic group? No. We may as well go ahead and say the individuals in the study who exhibited the behavior are the only individuals that I can heap scorn upon. That’s fine. Some liberals expressed in this thread that they don’t engage in this behavior. I understand individualism well enough.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.
  #127  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 6,794
Can't quote WillFarnaby who sez:
"...one possible reason white liberals endorse policies to elevate certain minorities based skin color is because they believe the minorities are not as competent as their white competitors."

No, this is flat out wrong. Lots of people, not just liberals, are able to see that "certain minorities" have been fucked by the U.S. for many decades and generations, and therefore lack the opportunities afforded to those who have not been fucked.

Last edited by bobot; 12-06-2018 at 02:17 PM.
  #128  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:20 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Can't quote WillFarnaby who sez:
"...one possible reason white liberals endorse policies to elevate certain minorities based skin color is because they believe the minorities are not as competent as their white competitors."

No, this is flat out wrong. Lots of people, not just liberals, are able to see that "certain minorities" have been fucked by the U.S. for many decades and generations, and therefore lack the opportunities afforded to those who have not been fucked.
So is this why some white liberals view them as less competent?

Reread bold.

I believe it is you who are wrong, bobot.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-06-2018 at 02:23 PM.
  #129  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:27 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
No, it fits just fine here, thanks.
I guess you are playing coy about where anyone said anything like that since you didn’t quote such a post. Very mysterious.
  #130  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:28 PM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
More post to try to make my point, and it's a suggestion: from now on, when the study is quoted and/or spoken of directly, you can no longer just use the term "liberal". You have to qualify it according to the self-identified liberals in the study. So, you would say, "liberals who self identify as extremely liberal are shown in the study to...", or "liberals who self identify as only moderately liberal are shown in the study to...", etc. Because again, liberals are not monolithic in their thinking, so it makes no sense to use a single term that suggests they are.
Or just “some white liberals”. Has a better ring to it.
  #131  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
It was a good criticism.
It was a good generalization.
  #132  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:52 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Or just “some white liberals”. Has a better ring to it.
At least that would be narrowing down exactly who is being discussed. A good start, anyway.
  #133  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
But to restate my earlier point: we don't even know what the study "believes" a liberal is. Other than what the participants say they are.

Without knowing that, we can't relate it to anyone/anything.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 12-06-2018 at 02:55 PM.
  #134  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:54 PM
Lemur866's Avatar
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 22,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
So is this why some white liberals view them as less competent?

Reread bold.

I believe it is you who are wrong, bobot.
Seriously?

Dude, you're the one who can't figure out why the Negroes keep voting for kinda-racist white liberals rather than libertarian conservatives.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that white liberals who swear they aren't racist are still kind of racist. This is a pretty unremarkable assertion.

So now you've got a white liberal politician who has some kinda racist attitudes buzzing around. Why exactly does this racist guy get 90% of the black vote, compared to the white conservative politician?

Thing is, there are graduations of racism. I know that conservatives imagine that liberals believe racism is like a switch, and if you're racist then you're irredeemably evil, and even one racist idea makes you racist, and so the patronizing white liberal is no different than David Duke. Except since we see that black people are willing to vote in overwhelming numbers for a patronizing white liberal over a conservative who thinks the wrong side won the Civil War, that turns out not to be the case.
  #135  
Old 12-06-2018, 04:19 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I agree that they are as well, nonetheless they exist. And even when they don’t like Trump it is too often for the wrong reasons.
As noted, the point I made about this argument of yours to be a very sad one stands, not only for you doing the unscientific move of assuming that one study * will be enough to allow conservatives that are not for Trump* to get into their high horse.




*(a study that was not peer reviewed yet or confirmed with others or that was able to withstood criticism from others.)


** (And because they are so few of those beings it makes the already weak argument you are pushing here even more weak)
  #136  
Old 12-07-2018, 08:37 AM
BenedictusXIV BenedictusXIV is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 24
Only liberals do that? I don't think so.
Personally I dumb down whenever I speak with Trump supporters or anyone from Mississippi regardless of color.
  #137  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
Seriously?

Dude, you're the one who can't figure out why the Negroes keep voting for kinda-racist white liberals rather than libertarian conservatives.
I never devoted much thought to it. I imagine it’s more complicated than that, though. There are many potential deciding factors in a voting decision.

Quote:
I'm perfectly willing to accept that white liberals who swear they aren't racist are still kind of racist. This is a pretty unremarkable assertion.

So now you've got a white liberal politician who has some kinda racist attitudes buzzing around. Why exactly does this racist guy get 90% of the black vote, compared to the white conservative politician?

Thing is, there are graduations of racism. I know that conservatives imagine that liberals believe racism is like a switch, and if you're racist then you're irredeemably evil, and even one racist idea makes you racist, and so the patronizing white liberal is no different than David Duke. Except since we see that black people are willing to vote in overwhelming numbers for a patronizing white liberal over a conservative who thinks the wrong side won the Civil War, that turns out not to be the case.
Good nuance.

I notice that some liberals do tend to throw around racism claims like they negate the individual’s entire worldview. In this case I think the racism of some white liberals negate their insistence on race-based economic policy only. Some believe blacks are less competent so they think they need special state assistance. The belief is based on racist misunderstanding, so special state assistance should be abandoned.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 12-07-2018 at 09:44 AM.
  #138  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM
WillFarnaby's Avatar
WillFarnaby WillFarnaby is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
As noted, the point I made about this argument of yours to be a very sad one stands, not only for you doing the unscientific move of assuming that one study * will be enough to allow conservatives that are not for Trump* to get into their high horse.




*(a study that was not peer reviewed yet or confirmed with others or that was able to withstood criticism from others.)


** (And because they are so few of those beings it makes the already weak argument you are pushing here even more weak)
Never said anything like the argument you are attributing to me. Thanks for your contribution, though it seems you are tapped out.
  #139  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:55 AM
ZPG Zealot ZPG Zealot is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Any thoughts on why individual-empowering language is dropped by white liberals?
Probably because white liberals realize that in many (if not most cases) "individual-empowering language" and "individual-empowering policies" are just a bullshit con to destroy the collective bargaining power of the group. "Agency" is a lie (a damnable one) unless people have the power not to lose their job opportunities, their jobs, livelihoods, etc., when they exercise that agency in a manner their boss or supervisor doesn't like.
  #140  
Old 12-07-2018, 10:46 AM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Never said anything like the argument you are attributing to me. Thanks for your contribution, though it seems you are tapped out.
You are not even wrong. For starters you ignore what I pointed out that I was dealing with your lack of logic here.

Even here, you are ignoring that I refer to any argument made by you alleging to be based in the study you point at, whatever argument it was, as unscientific. Again, any argument or solution proposed on one study is "solving" problems very, very early; or is a reckless one until more reviews are available or more research is done.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 12-07-2018 at 10:49 AM.
  #141  
Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 24,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Any thoughts on why individual-empowering language is dropped by white liberals?
I think the study's examination of this question is pretty reasonable, and it is an important question.

Once again, did you read it?
  #142  
Old 12-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
I notice that some liberals...
I respect that you have qualified this statement (bolding mine). Certainly some liberals do what you say, just as some conservatives, or any other group you can name, do. This recognition is what's missing from political discussions today. This us vs. them mentality has got to stop if we are ever to have a chance at coming together and solving our problems as a nation.
  #143  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Or just “some white liberals”. Has a better ring to it.
But still probably not right., that makes it sound like it is a binary distinction where some Liberals are some are not and all Conservatives don't. Really its a continuum of effects, which as a group Liberals are more down one side of the scale than Conservatives. Its more like saying a study saying "Men eat more Bacon than Women.' Saying the conclusion is men eat bacon and women don't would be misleading, or just saying unlike women some men eat bacon would miss the point. The truth is that there is bacon eating on all sides but on average as a grouip men do it to a larger extent than women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
So is this why some white liberals view them as less competent?
Again, this is not what the article is saying.

Lets try explaining it this way. Its all about signalling. Using "Competence words" is basically like saying, "I am great you should respect me!", using "warm words" is basically saying "I'm just like you, let's be friends!"

Now white liberals when interacting with a black person are more likely to have the something like the following thought process.

I am aware that there is a view among some whites that that they are superior and blacks are inferior. I don't hold this stereotype, but this black person doesn't know that and probably has experience with other whites who felt like they were his superior. If I go in there and say "I am great you should respect me" he's going to think that I'm one of those people who think whites are better than blacks. So I should avoid doing that. In fact I'm better off saying words that indicate "I'm just like you let's be friends." to prove to him I'm not one of those people.

If I talk to a white person though, there is not this awkward dynamic so I can just go ahead and win his respect using words that tell him I'm competent and worthy of respect."

Conservatives on the other hand are more likely to not bother worrying about all of this and are perfectly happy to assert "I am great you should respect me" to blacks particularly if they actually believe that because of their race they do deserve respect from an inferior.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 12-07-2018 at 02:52 PM.
  #144  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Brayne Ded Brayne Ded is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Can't quote WillFarnaby who sez:
"...one possible reason white liberals endorse policies to elevate certain minorities based skin color is because they believe the minorities are not as competent as their white competitors."

No, this is flat out wrong. Lots of people, not just liberals, are able to see that "certain minorities" have been fucked by the U.S. for many decades and generations, and therefore lack the opportunities afforded to those who have not been fucked.
So howcum the "certain minorities" (this sounds suspiciously like a euphemism) have not, ah, unfucked themselves after many decades and generations? How much longer do you think it might take? (Please take this as neutrally as possible and provide an intelligent answer.)

BTW, I haven't read the article, but I assume it has the usual bias of social studies of this kind, even if unwittingly. And yes, academics can be very unwitting at times. And yes, any discussion of certain minorities is sure to raise a storm of protest and criticism. It's all good fodder for a rousing polemic.
  #145  
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
So howcum the "certain minorities" (this sounds suspiciously like a euphemism) have not, ah, unfucked themselves after many decades and generations? How much longer do you think it might take? (Please take this as neutrally as possible and provide an intelligent answer.)

BTW, I haven't read the article, but I assume it has the usual bias of social studies of this kind, even if unwittingly. And yes, academics can be very unwitting at times. And yes, any discussion of certain minorities is sure to raise a storm of protest and criticism. It's all good fodder for a rousing polemic.
I would presume that once our society actually treats all groups equally without regard to race, gender, gender identity, etc., then we might have a chance of seeing roughly equal statistical achievement. Until then, we certainly have no chance of anything close to equal chances at achievement.
  #146  
Old 12-08-2018, 08:48 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 28,849
For technical reasons I cannot reply directly to the OP, but I would like to assure him that this white liberal dumbs himself down when he speaks to black people, same as how he dumbs himself down when speaking to anybody else.
  #147  
Old 12-08-2018, 10:22 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 6,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
So howcum the "certain minorities" (this sounds suspiciously like a euphemism) have not, ah, unfucked themselves ...
Is this a serious question?

ETA: The post that I was responding to misunderstood why affirmative action was implemented. I stated why.

Last edited by bobot; 12-08-2018 at 10:27 PM.
  #148  
Old 12-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Haldurson Haldurson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 181
This isn't science. Science also includes peer review and replication -- without that you cannot reliably draw conclusions. This is what passes for science in pop culture. For now, it's interesting and something that should be looked into. But for now, it's also nothing more than click-bait.

Last edited by Haldurson; 12-09-2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: correction
  #149  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead Fiddle Peghead is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldurson View Post
This isn't science. Science also includes peer review and replication -- without that you cannot reliably draw conclusions. This is what passes for science in pop culture. For now, it's interesting and something that should be looked into. But for now, it's also nothing more than click-bait.
Agreed. I called it pointless twice and tried to make similar point as you, but no one seemed to want to discuss. You can't draw any real conclusions from the "study".
  #150  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:18 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 31,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Agreed. I called it pointless twice and tried to make similar point as you, but no one seemed to want to discuss. You can't draw any real conclusions from the "study".
You can draw a conclusion that the article writer and researchers were ignorant of dialect usage in America, or incompetent if they were aware of it yet ignored it in their conclusions.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017