Old 06-29-2019, 02:18 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Laundry is all done, in, and put away. FCD and I went out for a BBQ lunch, which means we probably won't be wanting supper. On the way back, we stopped at Food Lion and I got 2 more bags of cherries - they are very yum and the season isn't nearly long enough!!

Slowly but surely, we're figuring out the smart TV - unfortunately, its remote won't sync with our cable box, so we're still stuck using 2 remotes. Dammit. First world problems, right?

Old 06-29-2019, 03:27 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

The remote for the Onkyo receiver works with everything except the Comcast box.

dammit.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:29 PM

It's raining, I didn't know it was going to.

After it started I remembered I had clothes out on the line. We must have had a big gust of wind because the clothesline was knocked over, as were several of the plants that are still in their pots.

We didn't get as much done as I had hoped this morning, but tomorrow is another day.
We got the center of the patio whacked and mulched, and beside the shed weeded and mulched. I still want to do around the deck, and under the crepe myrtle out front. I also want to do the side of the house but my son wants to put river rock there. We'll see, because mulch is a lot cheaper than rock, and I want to plant some stuff there. However, rock will last a lot longer and maybe I'll never plant stuff there because I don't go on that side of the house, and it's behind the fence and not visible from the street. It doesn't have to be pretty.
There is so much brick around here, I think one of the people who lived here before wanted to brick in the entire back yard.
I think we woke up one of the neighbors when we were out there weed whacking at 7 am. Wasn't too long after that though that I heard lawn mowers starting up all over the block. It was getting hot by 8.
I trimmed a bunch of stuff on the neighbor's side, I hope she doesn't flip when she walks outside, not that she ever goes out back anyway. I have a huge pile of stuff to load into the truck and take to the dump, and all of it is sitting on her patio.

You'd think with all this irk my yard would be looking good by now, but no, it still looks like a jungle.

I should have called before heading out to get the sundaes, I thought we were supposed to pick them up at the vet's, I drove all the way over there to find out we were supposed to pick them up at a school going the other way from the house. I also didn't know it was a 'party' with music and people gathered around talking and stuff. I just got our sundaes and left though, my son and Ripple were waiting in the truck.

No dog park today. Too hot earlier, raining now, and I have too much to do around here anyway.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Was hiking on the trail, got to an opening & looked up. That doesn't look good so I pulled out my phone & looked at radar. Double-timed it back to the car. As I opened the door I heard the siren go off from the nearby golf course. Didn't quite make it home but I was safely in the car for the bad winds & start of the rain.

Now need to think about dinner & iffn I wanna go shoot fireworks where I wanna shoot them from, given it's only 88 w/ 65% hoomidity out there.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:11 PM

nut, the lock picks that you may (or may not) have would work for the house, but his car likely has a fob.

Bought groceries, came home, walked the dog, made the bed, put away the towels and fixed some supper. It was too hot to go to the dog park, so I'm working on a paying project in the studio.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:19 PM

Howdy all. Still don't know about my keys, the train doesn't arrive in Emeryville, CA (outside of SF) until 9pm tonight, so I'll call them tomorrow. Not as upset as I was, I've come up with several alternatives and I always feel better when I have a plan in place...of course, them finding the keys would be even better.

I'm also in a good mood in that I spent the day in Rocky Mountain National Park, and that was fun and enjoying. Taught a 5-year old girl from Georgia who had never seen snow in her life that it was cold and wet. Climbed (well, halfway) up the same rock I had climbed as a teenager and a 30-something before (I could have made it up to the top again; just wasn't really sure I could get back down safely). But 8 hours of looking at the Rockies made it a good day.

Thought about going to the Rockies baseball game tonight, but the cheapest ticket for a fair seat (near the right field four pole) was $45, and figure parking and eats, it would be close to $100, and I just don't like baseball that much. Maybe the Colorado Springs Vibe (Rookie League team) might have cheap seats...

Tomorrow is a 40% chance of rain, so Museums, Coors Brewery, and maybe the Zoo are on the list.

All y'all take care.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Went to the VFW last night for steak Night. One of the guys was having a retirement party. I left early, because I had to be up early. I'm afraid I may have contracted..adulthood. Went to the Hockey Summerfest today. Got to meet Hamilton The Pig again. Back to the grind tomorrow. And I need to return the new PC. The fan is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
FCD is happy - he's got an operational radio in his car again. FYI, hitting a touch screen with the end of a wire shelf is not a wise move...

Chillage shall ensue. Busy tomorrow, lazy tonight.
Quote:
FCD is happy - he's got an operational radio in his car again. FYI, hitting a touch screen with the end of a wire shelf is not a wise move...

John has a long mustache. Mets in the 10th by 3
John has a long mustache. Mets in the 10th by 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
Aaaaah, alien, I was under the impression that you were out in the desert.
He's not a Roswell native.

: crosses fingers for the keys, Metalmouse :
Old 06-29-2019, 07:34 PM

Forgots to add, there was a muddy section with various things to step on so you didn't get so muddy, a large, flat rock, a plank, & a log. I stepped on the log & it rolled a bit. My shoe went into the mud...& didn't come out!
Yup, walked right out of it. Luckily, I stepped onto the large, flat rock & was able to turn around & pick it up & then put it back on w/o falling or getting a muddy sock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Taught a 5-year old girl from Georgia who had never seen snow in her life that it was cold and wet.
Pelted her in the face with a snowball, didja.

Dinner was chili.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Forgots to add, there was a muddy section with various things to step on so you didn't get so muddy, a large, flat rock, a plank, & a log. I stepped on the log & it rolled a bit. My shoe went into the mud...& didn't come out!
Yup, walked right out of it. Luckily, I stepped onto the large, flat rock & was able to turn around & pick it up & then put it back on w/o falling or getting a muddy sock.

Quote:
Taught a 5-year old girl from Georgia who had never seen snow in her life that it was cold and wet.

Dinner was chili.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Went to the VFW last night for steak Night. One of the guys was having a retirement party. I left early, because I had to be up early. I'm afraid I may have contracted..adulthood. Went to the Hockey Summerfest today. Got to meet Hamilton The Pig again. Back to the grind tomorrow. And I need to return the new PC. The fan is dead.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Old 06-29-2019, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Old 06-29-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Well, her mama bear was right there, so while it was a snowball, I just handed it to her, she held it for a few seconds and dropped it, saying 'it's COLD"

Hmmmm...doggio posted the same thing 3 times and spidey did it twice...are some Mumpers getting to impatient with the system??

Dinner at the next door Applebees and watched Haiti come back to beat Canada 3-2 in Gold Cup Soccer (yes, I do follow things like that). May go down to the pool and chill.

All y'all have a good night now.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Metalmouse, I got 502'ed, and it must have reposted when I hit "resubmit"
Old 06-29-2019, 08:37 PM

no there moving things around on the servers so theres problems ........
Old 06-29-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbutler View Post
Went to the VFW last night for steak Night. One of the guys was having a retirement party. I left early, because I had to be up early.
Leaving AT last call is not what most people would call leaving early. Just sayin'

Quote:
Hmmmm...doggio posted the same thing 3 times and spidey did it twice...are some Mumpers getting to impatient with the system??
Nah, the hamsters took a dinner break.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:19 PM

metal mouse, right now, snow sounds kinda nice, compared to the heat in middle Tennessee / northern Alabama.

doggio, you and spidey in competition with Moooooooom, or what?

I got a couple of hours in on the paying project and am now just surfing before walking Nelson and going to bed. Another exciting Saturday night at CasaRoja.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Leaving AT last call is not what most people would call leaving early. Just sayin'
I was home before dawn. That counts as early.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:22 AM

Happy Sunday!

Reading the board this morning is like deja vu all over again.

It's already 70 degrees outside, it was supposed to be in the 60s,
So I'll be heading out shortly to start mulching out front.
Supposed to get up to 88 today.

I think my son is going to regret not unloading some of the mulch into the front yard, because now he is going to have to carry it around the house. I could have parked out front for him to unload the ten+ bags we need out there.
Oh well, he can use the exercise. I don't know what he would do if he ever actually had to do a solid day of physical labor. When I was his age I was helping to unload and stack hay. It was a lot easier (and faster) when there were men around to help, they could throw 75 pound bales to a guy standing on the stack, who would catch them and stack them. But if there was nobody around to help, I did it on my own.

Anyway, I need to get out there before it gets too hot, them take Ripple to the park.

Not going to the dog park yesterday was not a good thing, Ripple started bring me toys at 11pm.
I have to remember to get gas on the way, I'm down to an 8th of a tank and I never go that low.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:46 AM

We had the worst thunderstorm ever last night. The dog was very upset and the cat was stuck outside but she is back this morning so I guess she just hunkered down somewhere under the house. Louie is not usually afraid of storms but this one was especially violent and right on top of us.

I am barely awake and still haven’t got moving around much yet. I have some laundry to do today and I need to cook something though I don’t know what yet.

Happy Sunday All!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:21 AM

G'morning!

Up, caffeinating, breakfasting and getting ready for a day of mostly sloth.

When I was walking Nelson this morning, I noticed that a tree just on the other side of the fence line had split and taken a little part of the fence with it. It was a small tree, but needs to be cleaned up.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:28 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Well, Butters, you wanted rain... be careful what you wish for!

I had a terrible night, partly because Roxy had a bad night. But I'm up, showered, dressed, fed, and the dishes are loaded. As soon as I clean the cat box, I'm going downstairs to finish in my studio.

What I want to do is veg in front of Netflix, but I need to get some clay tiles made to take to my mom's on Thursday. My niece will make foot and hand prints of her son for Christmas gifts - I should be able to fired them by then. I hope. I'll have to replace a vent line, tho. Daughter and/or SIL tried to cram something under my kiln and they trashed the exhaust line that comes from under the kiln to the vent outside. Dammit. One more thing...

OK, to work.

Happy Sunday!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Afternoon!

Well, the bees have calmed down a bit at least; I didn't pick any stings out of the suit today, and they only followed me a few metres, rather than most of the way back to the car. This is an improvement.

It is looking rather promising for getting honey off 'em this year as well, though I've no idea how I'd manage it; I can borrow kit from the group, but I don't have space to set it up in my kitchen. Hopefully another group member will let me join in when they're doing theirs, in exchange for helping or something, if I need to.

Oh well, dinner time. I'm having omelette, 'cos I just got given a load of aigs from the guy whose site my bees are on. They're all different colours and look terribly fancy. There's blue ones and everything.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I gave up attemptin' to post this mornin'. FTR 'tis 89 Amurrkin out and cloudy. Almost Fall like! We deheathenated this mornin'. I was second Lector, the non-cannibal kind, of course. N.O.L. was sammiches as we didn't want to go anywhere and today is no cook day. Also, nappage has been achieved. All in all not a bad Sunday so far.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Today I took my mom to her church. She can not get out on her own anymore. It is the one I grew up at, but, as I say, I grew away from. It is Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, a quite conservative denomination. No women clergy, or even acolytes and readers. Recently women were allowed to be voting members of the congregation. And closed Communion, which is the irritating thing.

Now when I left that church I knew I could not continue to take the sacrement there. Sad, but their church, their rules. What seems to be new, at this congregation anyway, is that when the service is starting the pastor gets up and makes a few welcoming remarks, among which is that he thanks visitors who may not be LC-MS for honoring their practice. So right from the start, I feel excluded. I have not mentioned this feeling to my mom. This place is her home, she has never been a member of any other congregation.

I still have fond memories of this place, and can still sing the liturgy with looking at the music, as it is hardwired into my brain. During the school year it is where I have been learning Koine Greek, as the one pastor is a real Biblical scholar. I am told he finds it amusing to write his sermons in Greek as well as English. Urk! Also he has German, Latin, Hebrew, and some Russian. I am in awe of his linguistic abilities. He is also an excellent preacher, as is the other pastor.

I guess I can do this once a month or so. I wonder why this greeting remark was started, I do not remember it from my childhood. Were visitors thronging in that did not follow the rules?
Old 06-30-2019, 05:49 PM

nut, does the property owner keep Aracunas? My grandfather kept a few and the green or blue eggs were pretty.

baker, I would guess that maybe it was a particularly hardcore minister somewhere after you left who began the announcement and subsequent ministers continued the practice. Growning up RC, while it was closed communion, it wasn't like anyone was checking baptismal certificates in the communion line.

Got the usual Sunday chores done, made supper (confetti slaw, colomorbus and paella) and am eating as we speak. Tomorrow starts the grind again.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

missred, from my parents I heard about the clergy that came after me, and while they were conservative, I never heard that they were less than very respected. The current senior pastor is only #4 since I left over forty years ago. I met all the new ones, at one time or another, for weddings or funerals in the family, and they seemed okay. I could ask my mom how this started, but I do not want to stir anything up. Mom may be the oldest member of the congregation who has been there from birth. At least she is in the top percentile, she remembers their previous building, having been baptized there as an infant. The current building came when she was six, in 1938.

Filbert, the son of my cousin has chickens that have blue or green eggs.

Last edited by Baker; 06-30-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:12 PM

The board is acting all wonky. Took me forever to get it to load.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

I went for a spin in the MGB. I couldn't interest Mrs. L.A. in a ride, so I just drove down the beach to the other end of the state park, turned around and stopped at the corner market, and then up the beach to the north end of the bay.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:49 PM

Howdy all. Another week of vacation comes to an end, I visited the Denver Zoo (recommended), the Natural History Museum (recommended), the Coors Tour (NOT RECOMMENDED for Sunday, at least, the line was 90 minutes long at 2 pm, the buses were few and far between and only seated 10-12 people, and the tour cost $10). So I went instead to the Colorado Train Museum, where I got my $8 worth (if your a train enthusiast; if to you they just block crossings when you need to get there, it might not be as enjoyable. Got back to the hotel just as it stared to rain in earnest.

OTOH, the rail people in California hadn't received my keys, I checked the hotel in Chicago and they didn't have it, so guess I'm out of luck. In'shallah as the Arabs say "As God wills it". Won't let it mess with the rest of my vacation.

Flyboy, sounds like a nice drive and I imagine more than a few guys were jealous.

Butters, working fine for me at the hotel.

Cupcakes, my Brother and Sister-IL belong to that same synod, I agree, nice enough to visit but very conservative.

Nut, hope you can work out a deal for the de-honey-fication.

Red, the snow was nice; being 12,000 feet above sea level was a bit hard on the breathing...

FCM, hope the tiles fired up nicely.

To everybody else, have a great day and I'll see you (sometime) on the next MMP (I need to get to the Denver Mint by 7am to get the early visit; then head for Colorado Springs).

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 06-30-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I have hauled the biiiiiiiiiiiig trash can all the way down to the road for pick up tomorrow mornin'. Thus I have completed my big Sunday chore. Go Me!

A member of my church died Firday Night. Not unexpected as he was ninety five and was gettin' hospice care. Still sad though. I really loved Johnny. His wife died three years ago and honestly, he was not the same after that. I reckon seventy-three years of marriage will do that to a person. His funeral is Tuesday afternoon and tomorrow I shall make chikin sallit for the reception afterwards. I imagine 'twill be a big crowd in attendance as it was for his wife, Maxine. Tuesday I shall make many chikin sallit sammiches to take over to the church house. Since it's special, I will even cut off the crusts. On the upside, I imagine Maxine and Johnny are dancin' all over Heaven. They loved to dance.

CupCakes first, good for you for takin' your mom to church. Second, yeah, that's kinda weird for the Pastor to get up and say that. The idea of "closed Communion" is just so strange to me.

Red you made me giggle. "Excuse me there, I'm gonna need to see some ID before you take Communion." We Whiskypalians just let EVERYBODY take Communion.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

swampy, at my congregation, Grace Episcopal Cathedral, there is an announcement that all are welcome, that this is not the table of the Episcopalians, but that of the Lord. In our visitors book, in all the pews, there is all kind of info about us, and it says We want to get one thing straight. The answer to the question Can I take Communion here? is not Yes, but We hope you will!

Sorry to hear about the death at your church. That was one heck of a long marriage. My folks made it to sixty-three years. Is your DOK chapter involved in the reception afterwards?
Old 06-30-2019, 07:25 PM
born to be shunned

No; Da Jungle didn't kill me. And I still work there -- I believe. Time will tell when I try to badge in tomorrow for a double. Saturday we went out by State College for a birthday (it was the kids first birthday so the traditional gift is firearms) and then we took the slightly, ever-so-slightly route past Knoebels. We keep several books of tickets stashed in the car for just such an emergency. And since we didn't want to be irresponsible and drive tired we stayed over and went to the park again today. Well ------- we had to have breakfast somewhere. I did my best to wound several first-timers on the bumper cars (they shouldn't have worn matching family reunion t-shirts ---- made them obvious targets) and ate meatloaf in the Oasis so I am recharged for the next couple weeks.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Oof. I just had a salad with blue cheese dressing and shredded cheddar. Then I nuked a package of Trader Joe's pulled pork and made a sandwich on low-carb multi-grain bread with spicy dill pickle chips. And a Longboard Lager.

I'm stuffed.