Old 05-14-2020, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Try putting in some spaces in between your paragraphs.
Or someone else's posts between your paragraphs.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:43 PM

OK I'm imagining a hell where all of the demons who torment me are laughing honestly at my plight, and a heaven where the world is so blissful that there is no need to laugh. I'll choose the latter. Is this what you had in mind, OP?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:17 PM

OK.

I copied our discussion host’s wall of text into Word and inserted paragraph breaks where I thought they belonged. (This is frankly more difficult than I expected, because AP’s thought progression, while it’s definitely present, is prone to abrupt leaps and hiccups.) Then I tried my best to paraphrase according to AP’s intent, where I could discern it. After this, my process would have been to create a summary outline using terms more commonly understood and accepted as the intended signifiers.

I failed at that process, because I could not successfully paraphrase the intent.

Alex starts out vaguely Buddhistic, but insists that desire is the root of enjoyment (rather than desire and attachment leading to suffering), and lack of enjoyment is merely the lack of a deliberate analysis of what is found, in each individual, to be enjoyable.

Deliberate calm analysis, we are told, must be applied to gain full enjoyment of life (“Patience”, as I understand Alex to be using the term.) Unfortunately, we are also guided through a sequence, sort of like the stages of grief or the steps of recovery, wherein we are instructed that:
  1. All human contact is transactional in nature,
  2. Randomness exists,
  3. Change happens/things are impermanent (harkening back to the Buddha) and
  4. Mama! in a lot of words.
This all supposedly leads us to a conclusion that we should be Patient and this is important to society (as explicated in a middle section about the importance of enjoyment to societal “good times” and “bad times”.)

AlexPontik, you really seem to yearn for a meeting of minds, but your presentation requires all of us to move substantially closer from where we are in order to make that meeting, and -I cannot stress this enough- We Can’t Tell Where The Heaven-or-Hell You Are.

I think it would help you and we, your correspondents, if you’d just carefully rephrase your opening question, and then respond to simple questions of clarification, as offered by Left Hand of Dorkness, QuickSilver and others, with a genuine attempt to clarify, ONE AT A TIME, each point.

Failing that, I don’t think we can help you refine your thoughts. All we can do to help you is to tell you unequivocally that your thesis is neither profound nor developable into a working philosophy.

(Sorry to eveyone else for this attempt to suck all of the humor out of the thread. Please carry on.)
Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

AlexPontik, it looks like you're trying to write one post that asks every question you've ever had about life, death, society, rationality, irrationality, rules, instinct, and mama. So here's a bit of advice.

Everything doesn't get answered all at once. Some things never get answered at all. Please take just one thing you want to discuss with us. One topic, one observation you've made, one question you have - just one - and try to pose it as succinctly as possible.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Missing your classroom, are you?
Mayyyyybe
Old 05-15-2020, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I worked in college as a writing tutor. THe vast majority of college kids I worked with were lovely: they were struggling to organize their thoughts into sophisticated written form, and they'd listen respectfully to my feedback. They wouldn't always agree, which was fine, but when they didn't, we could come to an understanding, because neither they nor I was there to win an argument. I'd go to a different writing tutor for my own papers, because I wanted to get the same sort of feedback I was giving other folks.

But once in awhile I'd get an exception. Someone would come to me with some self-important gibberish, which they clearly thought was the next Jack Kerouac novel (and they'd all read Jack Kerouac). They weren't there voluntarily, their professor had instructed them to go see a tutor. And they'd sneer at me the whole time I was struggling my way through their paper--clearly I was a lesser intellect incapable of appreciating their brilliance. My feedback, however gently offered, would be rejected outright: they MEANT to write the way they wrote, it was their STYLE.

I always suspected a perverse form of child abuse: I suspected their parents told them that they were geniuses and never gave them constructive feedback and always took their side in any dispute between them and a teacher. As a result they grew up thinking they were intellectual behemoths, never having faced a single challenge. Like a basketball player who'd never played against another player, their skills were less than fully developed.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 05-15-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I worked in college as a writing tutor. THe vast majority of college kids I worked with were lovely: they were struggling to organize their thoughts into sophisticated written form, and they'd listen respectfully to my feedback. They wouldn't always agree, which was fine, but when they didn't, we could come to an understanding, because neither they nor I was there to win an argument. I'd go to a different writing tutor for my own papers, because I wanted to get the same sort of feedback I was giving other folks.
I've had very similar experiences although perhaps not as much with respect to writing. When I was working in a computer science lab or teaching undergraduate computer science classes, students would ask me for feedback on coding, and most were very receptive of my suggestions. But every now and then you get the master hacker/coder who would start to tell me why I'm clearly the worst programmer in history. It is a bit of Dunning-Kruger I think. When your skill level gets just past novice in something, you don't quite realize yet just how much you don't know. I often tell people that I basically know nothing. Compared to the vast repository of all knowledge, what I know is a microscopic dot on top of a microscopic dot in the vast void of space (with apologies to Douglas Adams). You have to get to a very narrow field before my knowledge becomes anything that could be considered advanced (modelling and simulation of processes using artificial intelligence maybe? And even then maybe not?).

I really like working in a medical lab now because: 1) the work is really compelling (saving lives), and 2) the medical students don't know a damn thing about AI or programming. It is so very peaceful.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I'm not a gentleman.

I know the answers to all your queries. Too bad I can't reveal them. Sorry, I'm just one of the 'wimmins'

Thanks so much.

Us girls just wanna have fun!
You focused on the same thing I did, Beck. But I'd really like to know this: What was Alex's point in directing his reply post to "Gentlemen"?

I'm pretty sure English is not Alex's primary language, but even so it strikes me as very odd to direct a post to males.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:12 PM

The "Gentlemen" fit in with the old-fashioned feel of his Wall O' Text. Kind of an 1800's elite intelligentsia feel. Back when people had nothing else to do at night but light an oil lamp, pick up their quill pen and a stack of parchment... there was no need for brevity or clarity. You were writing to keep busy.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:00 PM

, thank you for you kind comments...let me try another way...

if you lack patience, skip this thread, there is nothing for you here.
if you have patience, read the below (21 pages, but I added pictures to make it more fun for you).
Let's talk about everything! So that we know what on earth we are talking about!

Last edited by AlexPontik; 05-22-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:17 PM

And which "hell" describes trying to decipher this thread?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post

if you have patience, read the below (21 pages, but I added pictures to make it more fun for you).
Let's talk about everything! So that we know what on earth we are talking about!
Your first page mentions how much fun I'm gonna have like four times, plus you tell me that above. Your idea of fun doesn't match mine. The overuse of rhetorical questions, as well as phrases like "Gather round boys and girls," does not convince me that putting more time into reading it would get me very far.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:23 PM

People in this thread have shown you quite a bit of patience.

Most of it has been in the form of very patient advice. That advice has centered around narrowing your focus and presenting a single idea at a time for discussion. You returned with a 21-page Google doc.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPontik View Post

If you want us to review your book, this is the wrong forum. I'll ask a mod to move it for you.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Ooh, here's a good bit:
Quote:
What about women in the history of humans? Not much needed to be written about women in the history of humans, according to humans, so this is pretty much what we know about women in the history of humans. Why?
Women are a mystery to males, but women are a mystery to women also. Why?
Because women are a mystery, and this is why women are so much fun! Why? Cause girls just wanna have fun! Why? Cause in the end, mama puts order!
I mean, holy shit, dude.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I skipped to the end to see if he, ignoring advice from writing tutors, put his thesis at the end of his manifesto.

Uh, maybe?
Quote:
To me, girls decide where words end, and actions follow. Why? Cause mama in the end puts order.

ii. To me, it is girls in the rest of nature throughout history that seem to decide who to chose in life; No one in the rest of nature seems to decide what girls chose, cause mama in the end puts order.
iii. To me, if anyone in the rest of nature decides what girls chose, girls should not choose that one, but should point patiently that one so the rest of society, sees openly that one. Cause mama in the end puts order.
Why?
1. Because then, that one person’s family has to deal with that one person, even if that one person’s family has to do “what no one shouldn’t do” to the person. Why?

2. Because no ones may comes from nowhere , and do to this person’s family, what “no one shouldn’t do” until they convert that person to no one, and he/she behaves within limits, where it is fun for the rest of us. Why?
I mean, there's more, but you get the idea.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Ooh, here's a good bit:

I mean, holy shit, dude.
I would be very outraged by that if I understood what it meant.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:51 AM

I'm just gonna drop this right here: http://www.lousywriter.com/

You might think it looks like a joke website, but it's actually a pretty amazing free resource. I have no idea who wrote it or runs it, but I found it searching for online English composition resources on behalf of our OP. The url sort of drew me in.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:00 AM

To the OP: A central thesis of your work is counseling patience - if people can't understand what you're saying, it must be because they're not patient enough to listen.

I see that you've posted this stuff elsewhere on the internet - in other forums and in a half-dozen Reddit subthreads. They were either ignored or closed.

As best I can tell, this is the only place on the web where you've gotten any kind of response. In terms of people reading your stuff, this is literally the most patient place on the internet. You can continue to talk past the people who are trying to engage with you, but they will eventually ignore you and this thread will die the same death it's died everywhere else.

You mentioned in a different location that you wrote this for an assignment. What did your teacher think? What grade did you get?

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-23-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
I would be very outraged by that if I understood what it meant.
I might be outraged by that if I thought the OP understood what it meant.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:01 PM

https://timecube.2enp.com

It reminds me of the time cube.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:32 PM
Mod Rocker

Moderating

When first posted, (April13), this thread appeared to be one of those speculative philosophy discussions that occasionally appear here. Recently, it has veered into more of a matter of personal opinion, so I am moving it to the In My Humble Opinion forum.

[ /Moderating ]
Old 05-23-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Ooh, here's a good bit:

I mean, holy shit, dude.
At least it might answer this thread.