Old 02-04-2020, 08:19 PM

Cheddar cheese!

Just tried a 9 year old cheddar...magnificent! It is to 5 year cheddar what 5 year cheddar is to ďmediumĒ cheddar. QtM, now that I have friends in Milwaukee, Iím planning to raid your cheddar chest! And you can make me an expresso with your fancy machine while Iím using your bidet!
Old 02-04-2020, 09:06 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Just polishing up some 8 year old stuff at present, nice and yummy. I've got some 13 year old and some 20 year old still in reserve. I'm sort of off espresso now, doing cold brew coffee instead. You can use the guest suite potty, no bidet. Sorry.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, what sort of security measures do you take around the cheese locker?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:32 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Just out of curiosity, what sort of security measures do you take around the cheese locker?
Isolated rural low crime living, mainly. Plus an underground walk in vault.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

I've always assumed an extensive trapline of mousetraps.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
I've always assumed an extensive trapline of mousetraps.
Hmmm, I wonder what 1000 mousetraps on a trampoline would look like if they all went off at once.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:04 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

I have always preferred a good aged cheddar - those little explosions of flavor when you bite one of the tiny bits of crystal is amazing. I swear I would buy it in a shaker if I could get it. I don't understand why for snacking people like boring bland American Cheese ... we buy a tiny brick of 5 year cheddar when we are feeling especially rich. Normally we just go for the usual grocery store extra sharp.

I would love to have a cheese vault - then we could buy that *whole* 40 pound wheel of parmesan we saw at the commissary before they cut it into small wedges. I learned to make cheese usong the cheddar process because we like the curds when they are fresh enough to squeek, but if we had the space we could actually make a wheel of cheese and age it properly =)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:05 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Moderating: I moved this to CS.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:05 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

I have always preferred a good aged cheddar - those little explosions of flavor when you bite one of the tiny bits of crystal is amazing. I swear I would buy it in a shaker if I could get it. I don't understand why for snacking people like boring bland American Cheese ... we buy a tiny brick of 5 year cheddar when we are feeling especially rich. Normally we just go for the usual grocery store extra sharp.

I would love to have a cheese vault - then we could buy that *whole* 40 pound wheel of parmesan we saw at the commissary before they cut it into small wedges. I learned to make cheese usong the cheddar process because we like the curds when they are fresh enough to squeek, but if we had the space we could actually make a wheel of cheese and age it properly =)
Old 02-04-2020, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I’d like to see brand names and vendors with respect to these here cheddars.

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-04-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:02 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Iíd like to see brand names and vendors with respect to these here cheddars.
Hooks, Carr Valley, Widmer's, Gibbsville are all excellent manufacturers of delightful elder cheddars in my vicinity.

But honestly, a lot of cheddars in WI are produced by mom and pop operations and wholesaled elsewhere, and it's up to the wholesaler to decide how long to age and how to present. It gets sold as a generic WI cheddar, anywhere from 2 to 20 years old.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:53 AM

Carr Valley 10-year is wonderful.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:02 AM

To anyone reading this thread who thinks this is much ado about nothing, I can honestly say it's not. I was introduced to the fabulous world of aged, delicious cheddar cheese about 3 years ago. After clicking, "submit payment", I did question myself as to whether or not I was crazy to spend that much money on cheese. However, after it arrived and was immediately sampled, I realized that the stuff I had been buying in the super market was not CHEESE. It was "pseudo cheese" in comparison. I have not bought any since.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of Montgomery's Cheddar and Keen's Cheddar from Borough Market, when I can get it.

Trader Joe's has a nice one called "Unexpected Cheddar." An appropriate name. Never expected something like that from a regular grocery store.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Curious: is there an upper limit one would not want to age cheese past?
Old 02-05-2020, 09:08 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
You can age a cheddar about forever. Eventually it dries out completely, but with good conditions it can last at least 42 years, as some 42 year old cheddar was found in the back of a cheese shop in WI some years back, along with 28 year old stuff. A lot of the outer rinds had to be discarded, but there was unspoiled cheese at the hearts of the wheels.

We couldn't get a sample of the 42 year old, but tried the 28 year old and it was AMAZING. I describe it as bright. Sharp enough to shave with, but not bitter. We kept a piece until it was 30 years old, and savored that also.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Bog butter, found in peat bogs dating back to 1 or 2 C.E., has been found, and the taste described, so someone has tasted it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_butter

I don't know how ancient cheese can be found, but if it exists at all, it can't have gone bad -- weird flavor maybe, but not bad.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Montgomery's Cheddar and Keen's Cheddar from Borough Market, when I can get it..
If you get in contact with Neal's Yard Dairy, Borough Market, they may be able to tell you where in the USA they supply their stuff.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
If you get in contact with Neal's Yard Dairy, Borough Market, they may be able to tell you where in the USA they supply their stuff.
I'll second this! I tried their cheese last time I was in London. Delicious!
Old 02-07-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Montgomery's Cheddar and Keen's Cheddar from Borough Market, when I can get it.

Trader Joe's has a nice one called "Unexpected Cheddar." An appropriate name. Never expected something like that from a regular grocery store.
Quote:
YESYESYES! Montgomery's Cheddar from Neal's Yard is divine. With red silk pears.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:00 AM

I humbly submit that if you like aged cheddar you'll likely really dig aged Gouda as well. My personal favourite is Sylvan Star Grizzly. It's well worth ordering.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I humbly submit that if you like aged cheddar you'll likely really dig aged Gouda as well. My personal favourite is Sylvan Star Grizzly. It's well worth ordering.
Aged gouda is spectacular. I'm not even sure of which kind I pick up, but any time I see anything around 5 years, I buy it. (I've had 3-, 5-, and 7-year from the same producer over a decade ago at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, and, for me, I found 5-year to be the sweet spot for my tastes.) Probably my favorite type of aged cheese. If all you know is young gouda and think of it as a bland cheese, you're in for a surprise. It develops this brown-orange color, a caramelly-toffee-type of taste mixed with some dried fruit flavor, lots of crystals for an umami explosion and crunch . Yum!
Old 02-05-2020, 02:12 PM

Who the hell uses a bidot in WI??Ö
Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I've a lovely chunk of 5 year old gouda in the cheese cave, almost gone now. It's actually from the Netherlands, a gift from a friend. Damn fine stuff.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:18 AM

Iíve got a full block of Carr Valley 12 year in my fridge (12-1/2 now). Going to break the wax seal soon as part of my birthday present this year is some 20 year cheddar I should be receiving sometime in May.

The Carr Valley is truly a wondrous cheese.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:48 PM

I always pick up some cheese from Renard's when I go visit my family back where I grew up.

https://www.renardscheese.com/
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Just don't put it on pizza. Cheddar cheese has no place on pizza!
Old 02-05-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I’ve bought good stinky aged Brick cheese through the mail fromWidemer Cheese Cellars.

Are their cheddars similarly excellent?

https://www.widmerscheese.com/
Old 02-05-2020, 08:36 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Iíve bought good stinky aged Brick cheese through the mail fromWidemer Cheese Cellars.

Are their cheddars similarly excellent?

https://www.widmerscheese.com/
Just finished off some 8 year old Widmer's today. Lovely stuff! They also have 10 year old.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Where should I buy cheddar in Manitowok, and what should I buy? I'll likely be there in the next few months. If not there, then on the roads between Chicago and Michigan either way.

I love cheese, but I love it in the same way that I love wine: I'll buy it, drink it, reserve judgment, but never take notes, study or learn from the past.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:55 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I'd say make a small detour and go to Cedar Valley cheese off Highway 57 by Random Lake. You can get 20 year old cheddar there, and a LOT more. Amazing variety. Lots of elder cheddars, and more affordable than many other places like Hooks.

Hooks is asking something like $200 per pound of their 20 year old cheddar. I get mine for about $75 a pound at Cedar Valley.

EDIT: That post was in response to Balthasar. I don't know why I can't quote him, something's weird with the board at the moment.

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 02-05-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:39 PM

I want to go on a cheese tasting tour of Wisconsin. Right now.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
No need to move from your comfy chair. Just have Renard's ship you some. Right now. It works best in the winter, as they don't have to use dry ice like in the summer.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
at Cedar Valley they generally have 8-12 different cheeses to sample at any one time, along with fresh curd samples and string cheese to taste. Stop by some time.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Oddly enough, very aged cheddar is hard to find in the UK. The itch for ultra-flavoured cheese is scratched in different ways eg rind washing
Old 02-06-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Every Whole Foods Market I’ve been in carries a good variety of cheeses from Neal’s Yard. Colston Basset Stilton, Shropshire Blue, Montgomery’s Cheddar, Keen’s Cheddar, Gorwyd Caerphilly, Cashel Blue and Hawes Wensleydale are all one’s I can recall seeing in the last year.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:42 PM

Aaaaaaaaaand... Iím on Renards site now. TWENTY DOLLARS FOR DELIVERY? Well, I doubt the five-year-old cheddar Iím ordering probably wonít care about the long delivery.

Also ordering chocolate fudge cheese, almond Swiss spread and low-sugar apple butter.

Thanks for the site, Musicat!
Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 PM

So, does anyone know of a good cheese shop in the San Jose area? I haven't found a good one around here and this thread is making me hungry.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Where on earth do you *find* this stuff?

DC area - and the oldest Cheddar I've ever found was 7 year old stuff - either at Trader Joe's or Wegman's, I forget which. And even that's rare, though I can usually find a 5-year product at Wegman's.

So we mostry stick with Cabot extra sharp, which is toddler-age (2 years) from Costco. It may not be old enough to attend middle school, but is an example of Costco providing a pretty darned acceptable product.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:25 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Where on earth do you *find* this stuff?
I find the eldest stuff mainly at cheese specialty shops and cheese factories around Wisconsin, often the mom and pop style places, but also the ones at factories:
Wisconsin Cheese Mart has some 22 year old for sale online. Along with 15 year old.

Or Cedar Valley Cheese Store. They don't seem to sell older than 10 year old online, but if you go to the store, they've got some 13 year old, 19 year old, and 20 year old specimens for sale. I even once found some elder swiss, an unbelievable 5 years old. Holes FULL of golden liquid which was the essence of swiss flavor!

Or Schultzs cheese in Beaver dam, they have cheddars 12 and over in the store, tho they don't seem to list them on the website.

Or Gibbsville Cheese, my go to place since the 1960's. My aunt worked there for decades. Their special reserve is available online, it's a white cheddar about 4-5 years old, good for everyday use. I get it in 5 pound blocks, but re-wrap it in aluminum foil after opening it, as that really retards spoilage. Once in a while they make 5 year old cheddar caraway, which is DIVINE!

Lots of the factory stores sell items there that they don't offer online.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:52 PM

I rather like the Coastal cheddar you can buy at Costco. It may not be in the same league as some of the cheeses being rhapsodized about above, but the price is right and the taste is tangy. And it does have those lovely crunchy crystals that make an aged cheddar so satisfying.