Old 02-03-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

We have a metal egg carton someone gave us, for just such an occasion. I don't see us ever actually using it.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I guess all my camping experience has involved shoving all the food into backpacks and hiking somewhere. Eggs aren't generally included.
Don't blame you. My camping was all vehicle-borne.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:16 PM

That's not the recipe

My dad insisted the secret to White Castle burgers -- the only brand-name fast food he liked -- was that they included liver in the mix. He set out to prove it one day.

Only he didn't have a meat grinder, so whole liver was out. He bought liver sausage (aka braunshweiger). Cut it into slices about a half inch or more thick, then cut those into chunks. Mixed them lightly into the ground meat.

Fried the burgers until they were well and truly dead, as he did all beef. Imagine a regular, if overdone, hamburger. Now imagine pale, smooth patches dotting the surface. Are you picturing a burn victim who has also acquired a fatal skin condition? You've got the right image.

It did not taste like White Castle.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxy View Post
My dad insisted the secret to White Castle burgers -- the only brand-name fast food he liked -- was that they included liver in the mix. He set out to prove it one day.

Only he didn't have a meat grinder, so whole liver was out. He bought liver sausage (aka braunshweiger). Cut it into slices about a half inch or more thick, then cut those into chunks. Mixed them lightly into the ground meat.

Fried the burgers until they were well and truly dead, as he did all beef. Imagine a regular, if overdone, hamburger. Now imagine pale, smooth patches dotting the surface. Are you picturing a burn victim who has also acquired a fatal skin condition? You've got the right image.

That's certainly ... interesting. I wonder where he got that notion. There's nothing really livery about the White Castle burger taste that I've noticed. The signature flavor is because it's steamed over onions (or, to be exact, rehydrated dehydrated onions.) "Oniony" is the first thing I think of when I think White Castle. I suppose maybe he got the idea from liver & onions? And there are certainly cuts of beef that have a more "livery" taste than others, but I've never really noticed a liver flavor to them.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-04-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:39 PM

I love my aunt, but she has some odd tastes. Anything that has any flavor at all is apparently too strong for her. She once made us a meal consisting of baked chicken breasts with absolutely nothing on them. No oil, no salt, no seasoning, nothing. Accompanied by a hunk of iceberg lettuce, also with absolutely nothing else on it or accompanying it, and orange juice that was 1 part juice to 4 parts water. I have never had anything more bland and tasteless in my life. When I asked for salt or salad dressing, I was told that there was none in the house. And I believed it.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Don't blame you. My camping was all vehicle-borne.
Ah. Sure, bring along some eggs. They keep well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
I love my aunt, but she has some odd tastes. Anything that has any flavor at all is apparently too strong for her. She once made us a meal consisting of baked chicken breasts with absolutely nothing on them. No oil, no salt, no seasoning, nothing. Accompanied by a hunk of iceberg lettuce, also with absolutely nothing else on it or accompanying it, and orange juice that was 1 part juice to 4 parts water. I have never had anything more bland and tasteless in my life. When I asked for salt or salad dressing, I was told that there was none in the house. And I believed it.
Did the breasts have skin and bones, or was that just white meat? Because personally, I like a nice roast chicken part, and the cooked skin gives it a lot of flavor, imo.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
Ah. Sure, bring along some eggs. They keep well.

Did the breasts have skin and bones, or was that just white meat? Because personally, I like a nice roast chicken part, and the cooked skin gives it a lot of flavor, imo.
The memory has blurred a bit, but I don't think it had skin. It was very dry.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 PM

Pork entrails soup in the Lao PDR.
I thought the round things in it were squid rings and scoffed straight in.
Bleeeah.

Another time I had fresh blood (pork?) with chilli, peanuts and coriander. that actually wasn't too bad.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
That's certainly ... interesting. I wonder where he got that notion. There's nothing really livery about the White Castle burger taste that I've noticed. The signature flavor is because it's steamed over onions (or, to be exact, rehydrated dehydrated onions.) "Oniony" is the first thing I think of when I think White Castle. I suppose maybe he got the idea from liver & onions? And there are certainly cuts of beef that have a more "livery" taste than others, but I've never really noticed a liver flavor to them.
I had a little booklet of 'copycat recipes' one was for make-at-home White Castle burgers. The recipe said to use very finely ground hamburger mixed with: a jar of Gerber Beef baby food! Yes! I don't recall the portions, I could look it up .....mix this, flatten small dollops on a sheet of wax paper on a cookie sheet. Put in the freezer for a few minutes - don't let them freeze! take them out and poke holes in the little bitty hamburger/baby food patties with a fork. Put back in the freezer for just another few minutes to firm up......while you are waiting , pour some hot water over dehydrated onions.....when it's time to cook, well, heat up some oil, put the burgers in the pan, salt and pepper, cook briefly, flip, sprinkle with dehydrated onion, cook a bit more.....Slider rolls they sell now are perfect. Back when this recipe was written, they said to just trim down regular hamburger buns to fit with scissors....top with a couple of pickle slices, and there are your copycat White Castle burgers.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

I actually have heard the baby food recipe before.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:47 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxy View Post

About 5 percent liver well mixed in - as in you add it to the 1 inch chunks on the first pass through the grinder [coarse] then the second pass [fine] and then steam fry it on a bed of carmelized onions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
He probably did get the idea from the onions. I am not particularly fond of WC sliders, the onions gove me the farts in a seriously bad way. Thankfully I don't drink beer or they would have been toxic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Wow. And that comes from someone who will eat plain white chicken breast meat with nothing but salt and eat iceberg lettuce plain while drinking water. [the cancer did nasty things with my taste buds and dead plain was sometimes the only thing I could manage to eat]

I actually have a small 'sucrets' tin with those little salt and pepper packets, a couple soy sauce packets, a butter buds packet, a honey packet and packet of sriratcha sauce in my messenger bag. I discovered while traveling that airlines consider plain white rice, plain white chicken and a plain white roll a suitable diabetic meal [at least the 'garden salads' with a small tiny packet of fat free flavor free vinaigrette dressing was edible as it arrived] In my bail to the hospital bag, I have a shaker of 'sprinkle' [powdered lemon juice, powdered onion, garlic, pepper and thyme] a shaker of salt, one of pepper, one of just plain powdered lemon juice, a 1 oz bottle of liquid splenda, a small bottle of soy sauce and the tiny bottle of sriracha. I also have about 20 Bigelow Earl Grey tea bags [the hospital generic tea is floor sweepings, worst quality. Their coffee is about as bad.] Last time I was in, mrAru would show up in the morning with a small [um, 4 oz?] tub of hummus and the small container of celery and carrot sticks. I tend to not want to eat foods if I do not know what was in them because they sneak stuff in that I am allergic to when they use mixes and prepared convenience stuff [mushroom powder and clam juice are common umami boosters in commercial food service under the category of 'natural flavorings' and palm oil/tropical oils has become an ingredient because it is either cheaper or a super food] and I tended to eat the ham and cheese sandwich, the pasta with tomato sauce and parmesan shreds [real curls, not the kraft green jar sprinkle] and the poached egg on toast as the kitchen could tell me that categorically none of my allergens was in them. [I have a friend who makes plumpynut for her hospital stays. Blargh, but I hate peanuts and peanut butter]
Old 02-04-2020, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Actually, looking online, it seems the idea that liver is a “secret ingredient” in WC hamburgers is not without precedent. Another weird one mentioned is peanut butter. Here’s an article that mentions those and baby food.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
What do you think people did in the days before refrigeration?
A lot of them got sick and died.

Pulykamell beat me to it about the toxins issue with his cite that said "The toxin produced by staph bacteria is very heat-stable—it is not easily destroyed by heat at normal cooking temperatures. The bacteria themselves may be killed, but the toxin remains. Re-heating foods, even at high temperatures, that have been contaminated with toxins will NOT make them safe to eat!".

How long cooked perishable food can remain safe at room temperature depends on the food and the temperature, but some food safety site (I think it was the USDA) suggested about four hours as a guideline. Also, food can spoil at room temperature without developing a bad smell, as it may if it sits too long in the fridge, so your nose is not always a reliable guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogginit View Post
Raw sea urchin set the truly awful bar for me, when I was in Tonga. I can still say, 30 years after that experience, no matter what I try, "It was better than raw sea urchin!"
I love sushi, but I'll only eat somewhat exotic stuff like sea urchin (uni) in a top quality sushi restaurant. It's not my favorite sushi, but it's different and interesting and I enjoy it. It's often served in small rolls with other ingredients and spices, but the best and freshest uni is usually served nigiri style, on a bed of rice with wasabi, brushed with soy sauce and possibly sprinkled or drizzled with other ingredients for flavor and appearance. I'd never make a whole meal of it, it just comes as part of a traditional Japanese tasting menu.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:07 AM

I once had a pastry in Bangladesh which looked like a donut hole but was filled with cold sugar water. The gag reflex was strong and immediate; I barely kept it down to avoid offending our hosts.

While in Zambia I tried roasted caterpillars and those weren't bad (tasted like beef jerky made from nuts) and the crocodile was delicious. Goat soup tasted like eating a cow which had eaten garbage for its entire life.

Last edited by Dark Sponge; 02-06-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:25 PM

Worst I've ever partaken of -- Saudi cuisine at an embassy-sponsored event. Back in the days before I was vegan, so it included lamb with those funky middle eastern spices. Sickest I've ever been from food poisoning -- thought I might never make it home on public transit. Felt like my digestive system was disintegrating for a few days. Cannot abide anything that smells similar, to this day.

Worst I've ever seen -- I had a Vietnamese roommate in college. His cuisine appeared to be embryo-based. He literally ate half-formed embryos of various kinds. *shudder*

Last edited by Sailboat; 02-06-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sponge View Post
I once had a pastry in Bangladesh which looked like a donut hole but was filled with cold sugar water. .
Was it pani puri perhaps? I only know it from Indian events, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same in Bangladesh. Yeah, I could see that being a bit of a shock if you're expecting something donut hole-ish. Those literally are my favorite Indian snacks (okay, maybe tied with vada pav), but I've never seen them outside Indian banquet functions (like weddings or engagement parties, etc.) around here. (ETA: Ah, yeah, the link says it's called phucka in Bangladesh, so they do have something similar.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-06-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Worst I've ever partaken of -- Saudi cuisine at an embassy-sponsored event. Back in the days before I was vegan, so it included lamb with those funky middle eastern spices. Sickest I've ever been from food poisoning -- thought I might never make it home on public transit. Felt like my digestive system was disintegrating for a few days. Cannot abide anything that smells similar, to this day.

Worst I've ever seen -- I had a Vietnamese roommate in college. His cuisine appeared to be embryo-based. He literally ate half-formed embryos of various kinds. *shudder*
I assume you're talking about balut? Can I ask where he was buying those foods? In my experience, it's hard to find good ones in the U.S. And they're expensive, I'm surprised a college student can afford it.

I find it funny half of the disgusting food on this thread, I love to eat (chicken feet, lamb, etc...) Embryos, if properly cooked, just taste like a very tender version of the adult.

For me, the food I can't stand are casserole, any sort of funky cheese, and any mayo based food.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moojja View Post
For me, the food I can't stand are casserole, any sort of funky cheese, and any mayo based food.
I live on that stuff, I guess we aren't going out to lunch together any time soon.