Old 01-22-2020, 08:55 AM

The end of "Silence of the Lambs," with Hannibal slowly walking behind his "old friend for dinner....."

"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" - Donald Sutherland's scream.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
... "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" - Donald Sutherland's scream.
Came on this morning to mention this one. I keep forgetting Veronica Cartwright is in that movie. Her characters have been through some wringers, especially at the hands/claws of aliens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUXHB5U-Vl4
Old 01-22-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Heh - always wondered if that was borrowed from the scream in The Tenant.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

"No!!! What happens next???" - my reaction the first time I saw The Birds as the car slowly drives away and "The End" shows up.

Actually it doesn't say "The End" - it just .... ends.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:42 AM

Can't remember the exact final frame, but the last shot of Brazil works pretty well.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:59 AM

The last shot of Cop Hater (based on the first 87th Precinct novel). The killer is taken off to be processed, and the cops just continue going their more mundane tasks - answering phones, doing paperwork, etc - as the credits roll. It's like the movie never really starts or ends, we just kind of sit in while they work on one case.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

The original “The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3”: Walter Matthau saying “gesundheit!”
Old 01-22-2020, 12:52 PM

I loved the end of Edge of Tomorrow when Tom Cruise approaches Emily Blunt to explain the time loop for the last time, then he just pauses and chuckles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_rpyhMRVJc
Old 01-22-2020, 01:14 PM

Norma Desmond's close-up at the end of Sunset Boulevard
Old 01-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

"Silencio."

Mulholland Dr.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:08 PM

Audio, not visual: Mozart's cackle over the last few frames of Amadeus.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
That's the second-to-last shot. The last shot is a fragment of a scene from earlier in the movie, with Verbal saying, "And poof! - he's gone."
That's the shot I came to post. Totally awesome how the last two words are spoken after the cut to black.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:17 PM

The closeup of the Tramp's face at the end of City Lights.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:20 PM

The end of The Shining showing an old photo from the hotel's history; a ball from 1921, As the camera zooms in, we see Jack Nicholson among the revelers. I've seen the movie so many times I don't always wait through the whole shot but the first time I saw it, it stayed with me for days. He doesn't look particularly creepy (like poor wretched Carol in Repulsion<shiver>) but the implication . . .he has been absorbed by the hotel? He's always been part of it? Great way to end it.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Osama. The final shot -- of a man taking a bath -- might be the most horrifying scene in the history of film. Though it's meaningless out of context.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:35 PM
SDSAB

Lot of great ones mentioned already, particularly 2001: A Space Odyssey, Monsters Inc., The Godfather, Inception and The Third Man.

I would also nominate:

Dark City - A man and a woman on a pier, overlooking a sun-drenched ocean. The perfect ending, given all that has come before.

Breaker Morant - Two coffins being filled.

Notorious - Two spies drive away to safety, and the bad guy is called back inside a house to his certain doom.

The 39 Steps - The two fugitives, finally vindicated, take each other's hand.

All the President's Men - Woodward and Bernstein keep working in the newsroom as the teletype prints out the later key events.

Glory - The casualties of the attack on Battery Wagner are buried in a common grave, and then we see their monument on Boston Common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
As effective and poignant as most of these examples are, is there any ending to a movie that captures the feelings evoked by

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Planet of the Apes? A beach and an ocean, anyway, and... you know.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:29 PM

What movie used Ozymandias?

My nom -- The Last Wave.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:05 PM

My favorite has always been the ending of "Electra Glide in Blue" with Robert Blake. His character, Big John Wintergreen, gets blown away by double shotgun blasts out of a van he is driving after. All he wants to do is return something but the bad guys think the jig is up. He slides along the highway and manages to sit up as he dies. Then a looong camera shot out the back of the van as it drives away. Big John fades into the distance as the credits start.

Skip to 1:27 of this clip. It does not show the whole shot, it cuts off way too soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6uJP8Qvlps

Dennis
Old 01-22-2020, 07:07 PM

Dirty Larry Crazy Mary.
Suddenly the movie just ends and the credits roll over a burning car. The biggest, and First WTF ending I can remember.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:13 PM

Too late to edit post #68, here is a description of the final shot from the IMDB:

"After Wintergreen is killed the camera pulls away up the road for three minutes before a freeze-frame dissolving to black and white for an additional two-plus minutes before credits finally roll."

Dennis
Old 01-22-2020, 07:58 PM

At the end of Carrie, the camera looks down on a screaming, hysterical Amy Irving after another one of her hand-out-of-the-ground nightmares, her mother trying to console her, then cut to black.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Goodfellas - Henry Hill, in a voiceover, bitches about having to be a "regular schnook" in Witness Protection as he picks up the morning paper off his doorstep. Cut to Joe Pesci's character, Tommy, firing a gun six times at the camera in a homage to The Great Train Robbery. Cut back to a bored Henry closing his front door as he returns to his now-boring existence. Cue Sid Vicious singing "My Way" as the screen goes black and the ending titles inform us what happened to the main characters.

Last FM Library Thing

Last edited by NDP; 01-22-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Lot of great ones mentioned already, particularly 2001: A Space Odyssey, Monsters Inc., The Godfather, Inception and The Third Man.

I would also nominate:

Planet of the Apes? A beach and an ocean, anyway, and... you know.
Of course! Makes you wonder how much Shelley affected the writer and the production
people! There must be other direct references to "Ole Percy" but this will do to prove his
influence continues...

Nice work, EH!
Old 01-23-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Back in the '80's, I just bought it and had planned to spend the evening watching it alone, but my friends insisted coming over and watching it with me. They were utterly bored, but I was fascinated!
Old 01-23-2020, 02:07 AM

Dirty Harry walking out of the quarry without his badge.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:45 AM

A really jarring final shot comes at the end of X: The Man With The X_ray Eyes, where Ray Milland's character ends up at a church revival and tears out his own eyes off-screen. The final shot is a freeze frame of him screaming at the camera with two empty sockets where his eyes used to be.

Saw this on TV late at night when I was a young teen and it shocked the hell out of me...
Old 01-23-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
A really jarring final shot comes at the end of X: The Man With The X_ray Eyes, where Ray Milland's character ends up at a church revival and tears out his own eyes off-screen. The final shot is a freeze frame of him screaming at the camera with two empty sockets where his eyes used to be.

Saw this on TV late at night when I was a young teen and it shocked the hell out of me...
I remember that! Not sure if I covered my own eyes at the end or have chosen to forget it. I remember the self eye gouging but not that they showed it.
<Googles image . . .> Annnnnnnd now I do 40+ years of successfully blocking out that vision and now I can relive it.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Stephen King opined that

Quote:
The final shot is a freeze frame of him screaming at the camera with two empty sockets where his eyes used to be.
...was "almost" perfect. All it needed was Milland screaming in horror: I can still see!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Another ending that only makes sense in context, where it's chilling.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I remember that! Not sure if I covered my own eyes at the end or have chosen to forget it. I remember the self eye gouging but not that they showed it.
<Googles image . . .> Annnnnnnd now I do 40+ years of successfully blocking out that vision and now I can relive it.
I envy you your ability to not remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
Stephen King opined that

...was "almost" perfect. All it needed was Milland screaming in horror: I can still see!
I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Big Night. The two brothers, after having perhaps a family-destroying night, sit in the kitchen and eat breakfast together. They're still family. Life still goes on.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

The Blues Brothers

Everybody on the old cell block
Was dancing to the jailhouse rock.

Bet Closing Credits Ever

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 01-23-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:34 PM

Karen Black, crouching by the front door with a giant knife in her hand, waiting for her mother to arrive. Then she smiles, baring her sharp, animal fangs.

For anyone who isn't familiar, the made for tv movie is Trilogy of Terror.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
Not a shot, but the final intertitle card at the end of Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures was one of the biggest gut-punches I've ever had at the movies. The entire theatre exited in complete silence after that one.
What was it? It's been a long time since I've seen that movie, which I really liked.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
And the eyes have it!!! The most horrifying movie ending ever.

Last edited by madsircool; 01-23-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:22 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrMatey! View Post
Big Night. The two brothers, after having perhaps a family-destroying night, sit in the kitchen and eat breakfast together. They're still family. Life still goes on.
Ooo, good one.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:25 PM

I appreciated the (original) ending of The Descent: pull out, the last light is extinguished, into darkness.

Last edited by DPRK; 01-23-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
What was it? It's been a long time since I've seen that movie, which I really liked.
"In the hours following Honora's murder, a police search of the Rieper house unearthed Pauline's diaries. This resulted in her immediate arrest for the murder of her mother. Juliet was arrested and charged with murder the following day. After Pauline's arrest it was discovered that Honora and Herbert Rieper had never married. Pauline was therefore charged under her mother's maiden name of Parker. In August 1954, a plea of insanity was rejected by the jury in the Christchurch Supreme Court trial, and Pauline Parker and Juliet Hulme were found guilty of murder. Too young for the death penalty, they were sent to separate prisons to be 'Detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure.' Juliet was released in November, 1959 and immediately left New Zealand to join her mother overseas. Pauline was released two weeks later but remained in New Zealand on parole until 1965. It was a condition of their release that they never meet again."
Old 01-23-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMogul View Post
"In the hours following Honora's murder, a police search of the Rieper house unearthed Pauline's diaries. This resulted in her immediate arrest for the murder of her mother. Juliet was arrested and charged with murder the following day. After Pauline's arrest it was discovered that Honora and Herbert Rieper had never married. Pauline was therefore charged under her mother's maiden name of Parker. In August 1954, a plea of insanity was rejected by the jury in the Christchurch Supreme Court trial, and Pauline Parker and Juliet Hulme were found guilty of murder. Too young for the death penalty, they were sent to separate prisons to be 'Detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure.' Juliet was released in November, 1959 and immediately left New Zealand to join her mother overseas. Pauline was released two weeks later but remained in New Zealand on parole until 1965. It was a condition of their release that they never meet again."
My recollection, which could be wrong as it has been over 25 years since I saw the film, and I'm at work so I can't look for the clip on-line, was that the last sentence was either on its own card, or appeared after a gap following the other text. Really emphasized the utter futility and stupidity of the girls' tragic actions, which they undertook so as not to be separated by their parents.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:37 PM

From Sweet Smell of Success, which I feel I must "spoil":

SPOILER:

Susie Hunsecker, walking forthrightly out into the morning sun of a new New York City day, a packed bag in hand, off to reunite with her boyfriend and in so doing escape the clutches of her clinging, and well-deservedly broken, brother.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 01-23-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
John Wayne left all alone on the porch at the end of The Searchers
As a bit of trivia, the reason Wayne cradles his arm like he does is as a tribute to his old friend Harry Carey, Sr., who often held a similar pose.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:22 PM

Walkabout - The Girl's husband coming home and telling her the 'exciting' news about his job and her with a far off look imagining what could have been. Then the credits rolling over the shot of her and her brother's school clothes on sticks. One of the most beautiful endings to a great film.

Knife in the Water - The husband and wife in the car sitting at the crossroads literally and figuratively.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:02 AM

At the end of Drive, he... drives off into the night.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Walkabout Knife in the Water - The husband and wife in the car sitting at the crossroads literally and figuratively.
A simple yet oh-so-brilliant ending to one of my fave RP flicks. Neat jazz score in it too.

Ok not the final scene, but next-to-final one, so give me a mulligan on this because seriously - this 7-minute tracking shot, from The Passenger, is ridiculous.

Quite fascinating lowdown on "the shot", from wiki
(I'd recommend checking out the first link before seeing how Antonioni pulled off the amazingly sneaky shot)

Quote:
The location of the hotel is stated to be Osuna in the film. However, the bullring at the edge of the square is recognisably that of the one in the Spanish town of Vera, in the province of Almería.[3][4] In a DVD commentary, decades later, Nicholson said Antonioni built the entire hotel so as to get this shot.

Since the shot was continuous, it was not possible to adjust the lens aperture as the camera left the room and went into the square. Hence the footage had to be taken in the very late afternoon near dusk, in order to minimise the lighting contrast between the brightness outside and that in the room.

The square was windy and the crew needed stillness to ensure smooth camera movement. Antonioni tried putting the camera in a sphere so the wind might catch it less, but this would not fit through the window. In the scene, it appears that the bars may have been adjusted to be removed as the camera approached them.[citation needed]

The camera ran on a ceiling track in the hotel room and when it came outside the window, was meant to be picked up by a hook suspended from a giant crane nearly 30 metres high. A system of gyroscopes was fitted on the camera to steady it during the switch from this smooth indoor track to the crane outside. Meanwhile, the bars on the window had been given hinges. When the camera reached the window and the bars were no longer in the field of view, they were swung away to either side. At this time the camera's forward movement had to stop for a few seconds as the crane's hook grabbed it and took over from the track. To hide this, the lens was slowly and smoothly zoomed until the crane could pull the camera forward.[Note 1] Then the cameraman walked the camera in a circle around the square, giving the crew time to shut the window bars before the camera returned to look through the window from the outside this time. Antonioni directed the scene from a van by means of monitors and microphones, talking to assistants who communicated his instructions to the actors and operators.

screw it - that whole last paragraph needed to be bolded

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 01-24-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:47 AM
Horrified Onlooker

Great thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Bullitt

The last shot of Steve McQueen washing his face exhausted and sickened after having no choice but to kill the bad guy. The simple but beautifully poignant Lalo Schiffrin score putting the exclamation point on it all. Still moves me after many viewings.
QUOTE=snfaulkner;22093583]The final scene of The Thing. MacReady and Childs staring each other down and sharing the scotch.[/QUOTE]

I was going to post both of these.

Quote:
The end of "Silence of the Lambs," with Hannibal slowly walking behind his "old friend for dinner....."

Two more good picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdad View Post
The original “The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3”: Walter Matthau saying “gesundheit!”
I see this one differently. To me the original TTOP123 was a terrific and somewhat disturbing thriller that was undermined by far too many humorous one-liners. All the "light moments" kept yanking me out of the picture, and Matthau's face in the doorway immediately after "gesundheit" struck me as the wrongest note possible for the fadeout.
Of course this hasn't kept me from watching the film repeatedly since I saw it first-run in the theater - it's been in my VHS > DVD library forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
Stephen King opined that ("...The man with X ray eyes")
I think I remember reading, back in the 60's, that those last four words were in the original film but were cut at the last minute.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 AM

Just another final shot to offer:

Taxi Driver - Travis Bickle finishes dropping off Betsy at her building and drives off in his cab. He looks in the rear view mirror a time or two as she walks into the building and continues driving. Then a few moments later, the saxophone playing in the soundtrack is interrupted for a brief moment as Travis's eyes dart back to the rear view mirror almost in a panic. Then, he continues driving on.

Maybe it's just a final hallucination as he's bleeding out in the fleabag hotel after the big shootout?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Thank you Moviemogul and Chockfull

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 01-24-2020 at 01:03 PM. Reason: bolding
Old 01-24-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

The Mission, both the pre-credits shot, and the post-credits shot. (This was long before post-credit stingers became common.)

The Portuguese and Spanish teamed up to destroy the mission. Both the pacifist priest (Jeremy Irons) and the warlike priest (Robert De Niro) are dead meat. The Native Americans dig through the rubble to get a few belongings, before heading off to the jungle. One of them salvages one item from western civilization that he thought was worth keeping: a musical instrument.

Young Sherlock Holmes. Throughout the film, we are introduced to Holmes, Watson, and Lestrade. Throughout the closing credits, one side of the screen shows a horse-drawn sleigh travelling along a snowy road. After the credits, it pulls up to a hotel. The movie's villain, who apparently did not die in the film's climax, checks in and signs the register, using his new alias: Moriarty.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:29 PM

Shane riding into the Tetons, while Joey tries to call him back.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:16 AM

Two more.

Seven Samurai - The mounds and swords of the four fallen samurai, including Kikuchiyo.

Oldboy - Dae Su's smile turned grimace.