Old 02-06-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
You know sex is free, right? That's not why people get married. (Or hire prostitutes- note all the married johns). In fact getting married can get you tax breaks and other discounts.
Of course. I don't think the original saying was seriously suggesting that. It was just a humorous quip that makes you remember the saying. That's how I remembered it.

Last edited by UltraVires; 02-06-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Smuggling drugs.
Not true, or at least it depends on the flag you fly. I've partied with a couple who were living aboard ship, and they smoked my weed and asked me to hook them up with a plug. They kept close to zero recreational drugs aboard ship out of fear their vessel could be taken during a customs inspection.

Quote:
Smuggling drugs.
Nah, that's for submarines. Then again, if submarines and cigarette boats are burned out, it might be time to go back to innocent-looking yachts and cruisers. (yarrr)
Old 02-06-2020, 02:47 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
I am sorry it came across that way: I felt no one explained, all I read was: if you like it, you do - if you don't, there is no point in explaining. I do not want to be convinced, I want to understand what others like about it. Does not mean that I would like it too, it's just that now I do not get it at all. So I took the signature as an intro to a question. I am not implying that liking yachts is wrong nor am I trying to mock the yacht-lovers.
Do you like camping? Do you like the outdoors? Do you like the beach? Do you like pleasing scenery? Do you like freedom and adventure?

A lot of people like such things. They like them enough to put up with considerable discomfort.

Your main complaint seems to be that life on shipboard is somewhat less comfortable than life on land. Many people find that they enjoy the things I listed above enough so they outweigh the discomfort. Evidently, for you they do not.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:34 PM

As a kid, I grew up boating. My dad did pretty well for himself, so he was always buying or selling a boat every few years, and we regularly enjoyed the 40'-50' cruising power boats.

Why? Well, for us boating was a lot like camping, except better. For one, whatever island (in our case, being in Florida, some small middle Key) we traveled to, we first had to drive there. That meant speeding along the water, in your bathing suit, with wind in your hair. And it meant, as a young teenager, that I got to drive. Fun!

When we arrived, we'd have lots of great food (for some reason, grilled meat tastes better when you are camping) while we splashed in the water, road around on a small inflatable dinghy, or just took a nap in the sun (with a persistent breeze to keep you cool).

As it got dark, things would get quiet and relaxing...since we were boating, we could stay off shore and avoid the bugs. With the gentle rocking of the boat, and the lapping of water against the side, you were always fast asleep, although lingering outside to look at the stars while away from city lights was always mesmerizing.

Also, while you were enjoying this getaway, you were also likely to encounter other boaters. Almost universally, boaters are friendly and welcoming to others similarly situated, so there'd be lots of sharing of food and drink and socializing, when everybody is open to having fun.

Now, to all that add "yacht". What are you getting? More luxury. Depending on the size and scope of the boat, you might be fully air conditioned when you go inside (the ones we had usually were). Maybe there's room for a full sized bed and shower. Or you have satellite TV/internet. Meaning, while you are 'camping', you are doing so with all of the creature comforts of home ('glamping', they call it). It's your chance to be out in nature, to travel, to enjoy good food and recreation, to 'unwind and relax', without any discomfort or sacrifice.

Also, as boats get more expensive, they include lots of toys - satellite navigation and fish finders are just the basics - and are really innovative about making great use of space, with lots of things like chairs, tables and beds that fold up and stow away. For many boaters, this is a hobby and it's fun to indulge in the new innovations or ideas that are developed.

And, of course, all of that is without getting into the fun some people (not me) have with fishing (especially in open water). Also, it's another means of international travel (hell, in South Florida, a trip to the Bahamas is only about 50 miles, no big deal to a well built 'yacht').

Other than the costs (which is why it's good that Mr. Fudd was a millionaire), what's not to love?
Old 02-06-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Smuggling drugs.
Ooookaay... I see where you got your nick from and I respect that.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Do you like camping? Do you like the outdoors? Do you like the beach? Do you like pleasing scenery? Do you like freedom and adventure?

[...]
Your main complaint seems to be that life on shipboard is somewhat less comfortable than life on land. [...]
No. Yes. Y...yeah, sort of. Yes. Of course.
[...]
Hmmmm... there is something to that. What you did not ask but points in the same direction: I do not like physically strenuous exercise. Example: Walking and strolling for hours is OK for me, running uphill as fast as you can for miles is not.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:06 PM

"To duplicate the experience of ocean-going yachting, stand under a cold shower tearing up hundred-dollar bills. "
Old 02-06-2020, 04:22 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
No. Yes. Y...yeah, sort of. Yes. Of course.
If you like the outdoors, but don't like camping, it sounds like discomfort is a deal breaker for you. And if you only sort of like the beach, being on the sea isn't going to offer enough reward to compensate for the discomfort.

Quote:
Hmmmm... there is something to that. What you did not ask but points in the same direction: I do not like physically strenuous exercise. Example: Walking and strolling for hours is OK for me, running uphill as fast as you can for miles is not.
That's kind of a non sequitur as far as enjoying boating goes, since it's often one of the least strenuous outdoor activities you can engage in. Yes, if you're crew on a sailing vessel and have to operate the sails yourself that can get strenuous, but not so much if you are a passenger. The most strenuous exercise I usually engage in on motor yachts is popping the tab on a can of beer or opening a bag of Doritos. Admittedly, if you encounter rough weather it can be a little tiring holding on so you don't get tossed around too much, but that's nothing like running.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk VII View Post
"To duplicate the experience of ocean-going yachting, stand under a cold shower tearing up hundred-dollar bills. "
That's exactly what my yacht-owning brother told me when I asked him whether I should consider getting a yacht ...

I live in a city with a very high level of yacht ownership - at work, I look out over a marina where superyachts and high-performance racing boats sit and sail every day.
A permanent berth in a marina has a cost similar to a small apartment, renting one is also pretty costly. Annual maintenance is more costly than maintaining a car, and every few years the boat has to come out of the water for de-fouling.

But for my brother and his wife, going sailing is what they do on weekends during the summer - and longer trips when they can. It's like owning a caravan or a campervan - you keep it prepped and maintained, and then when you want to go away for a bit, you go.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
When somebody (Elmer Fudd?) mentions a yacht, why are people automatically talking about $30 million or even $5 million boats (which admittedly are nice, especially if you plan to live on one for an extended tour). Are houses "an expensive toy for the super-rich"? Because a normal yacht that normal people buy costs a lot less than your apartment, maybe even less than some posters' cars. Believe it or not, some people simply enjoy sailing (and surfing, and diving, or other water sports and activities that require gear).
"Yacht" has a connotation of luxury, wealth, and expense that "cabin cruiser" or "bass boat" don't. It's like the difference between a house and a mansion.
It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 02-07-2020, 01:28 AM

My Dad once rented a house on a bluff overlooking the Pacific in Mexico for a summer. I and my (then) girlfriend went down for a week, it was pretty cool. One day a cruise ship pulled into the bay. It was amazing to see this giant thing dwarfing the tiny town and the boats around it, like a cartoon someone had drawn. I looked at it with my binoculars and said "Dad, I don't see any cabins... I don't think that's a cruise ship, it's a private yacht." Dad told me that was ridiculous, it was way too big to be a private yacht, but after peering at it through the binoculars for ten minutes, he had to admit, that yes, it wasn't a cruise ship after all. We had a conversation over lunch on the veranda, looking at this giant thing, wondering whose it was. We all agreed it must belong to the head of a drug cartel.

Later we had one of of friends over, a local who lived in the town. We pointed at the boat and asked her "Is that a drug lord's boat?" She laughed at us. "No, drug dealers don't have that kind of money. That's a government official." We were all a little stunned. Of course government corruption in Mexico is no secret, but that it would be corrupt enough for an official to casually toot around in that thing - I mean, I've seen Paul Allen's megayacht moored in San Diego, and this thing made it look like a dinghy. I've always thought about that ever since when someone talks about how corrupt things are down there.

Of course, drug lords do have that kind of money, (well, some of them,) but what she said made sense - a drug lord wouldn't want something so high profile.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:18 PM

There are "yachts" and there are "YACHTS!!!" Look up a few episodes of Below Decks (I think) which covers charters on a super yacht. Eight or so crew for 8 to 10 guests (plus more I'm sure that are in the engine room). One of the crew is a professionally trained chef so not the type of cooking over a propane camp stove you imagine. The tip for the crew for a short charter is usually 10 - 20 thousand dollars.

Last edited by Spud; 02-07-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:58 AM

With the right type of quack psychiatry, Ill bet we could get the OP into a yacht (or Alcatraz) in no time.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
The tip for the crew for a short charter is usually 10 - 20 thousand dollars.
Or a block of cocaine. (My brother is chef on a superyacht).
Old 02-08-2020, 06:13 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
I read in another thread a signature that left me perplexed:

Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7dCTwlAI8Y

Quote:
I am fine with rich people, this is not about envy: I am a millionaire myself in a valauble currency,
You're a millionaire in a valuable currency? What does that even mean?

Quote:
But could someone tell me what a yacht is good for? If you buy a small one, everything is too small, everything gets damp, you can't stand up without hitting your head against something (I am 6'4")...
First, if it's too small, get a bigger one. If all you can afford is a Smart for Two, don't complain that all cars are too cramped inside. That's silly. Second, not everyone is 6'4". I point that out because it's important for you to realize that everyone else is not you. Not only are they going to be different sizes, but they're going to enjoy different things.
With that said, everything doesn't get damp. Most of the standing is supposed to be done on the deck where the sky is the ceiling (of course, unless you get a bigger one as suggested).

Quote:
...the cooking is at best primitive, the only fresh produce may be the fish, if you catch one, the rest is canned or dried or dreadful.
Many yachts have kitchens better than the one in your house. Even smaller ones will be able to store enough fresh food to last until your next port. And practically all of them offer ways to actually cook food rather than just opening canned or dried food. This complaint doesn't hold water either.

Quote:
Internet connections are slow, expensive or non-existant.
This is not a downside for many people. In fact, many people may want to get out on the open ocean to get away from constant connectivity. Those that still want internet will just pay for it. High speed internet on the ocean is possible. Like you said, it's expensive. But we're talking about a freaking yacht! "Expensive" is not in any way a deal breaker.

Quote:
If you buy a big ship you have to stand (and pay!) the crew.
That isn't a downside, it's a perk! You don't have to worry about all of the hassle of controlling and caring for the ship. All of that is done for you with a crew. You get to relax in total comfort while the crew caters to your every need and the needs of the boat. How does that sound like a bad thing to you?

Quote:
Repairs are awfully expensive, everything is made bespoke and does not fit,
It's just money. You can always make more money. What's the big deal?

Quote:
...and the food still does not taste great.
Then fire your chef and get a better one. If you're one of those less affluent yacht owners with no on-board chef, there are plenty of great meal options to be had. Such as this, this, and this.

Quote:
Around you there is only water, ...
That's kind of the point. Some people enjoy that. A lot!
Quote:
... the sun is too bright
Again, this is something people like. Bright sunny and warm weather! For many people, there is no such thing as "too bright". And there is often a cool breeze from the water. The combination of warm sun and cool breeze is appealing to many, many people.
Quote:
and the ground keeps on moving. Makes you sick.
No. It makes YOU sick. It doesn't make everyone sick. Starting to understand, yet? And you can always take a Dramamine if you require it.

Quote:
I will stop the description of my impression there; you get the general idea.
Yes. What I get is that you want us to explain why YOU would ever get a yacht despite the fact that none of the joys of ownership appeal to you. You don't seem to be concerned about why other people would want to spend a weekend (or longer) at sea aboard their very own luxury, floating mansion.

Quote:
So, this is my question: what are yachts good for? How can you enjoy them? Who came up with the idea that they could be made into a luxury segment and how did he (it was a man, right?) get away with it?
Many people enjoy the ocean. The warm sun, the cool breeze, the smell of the salt air, the endless ocean on all sides, being surrounded by the horizon, the night sky unpolluted by terrestrial lights, the seclusion and escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, the tropical destinations, visiting uninhabited islands free of tourists and other visitors, the ability to entertain friends and guests with unique and exclusive experiences. What's not to love?

Last edited by Bear_Nenno; 02-08-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:45 PM

Pardel-Lux, I for one completely agree with you. Fuck yachts. I get sea sick easily and expanses of water are really boring. But I also don't understand mansions. Why have so many fancy rooms when you can only be in one at a time? Why bother? Seems so stupid and wasteful. Look at all the money you would save if you just lived in an ordinary small house of, say, 1200 square feet. Big enough for two bedrooms so somebody could even stay over on occasion. Much more practical. It's a mystery to me.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
the cooking is at best primitive, the only fresh produce may be the fish, if you catch one, the rest is canned or dried or dreadful.
where are you getting this? You make it sound like an expedition to the North pole. It's not 1926.

A Yacht is a pleasure craft used for short trips for the joy of sailing. It's a camper on water. You take on whatever food suits your taste for a couple of days and you're likely close to land where you can take on more.

If you're describing a sea-going vessel for island hopping or world touring then the amenities are unlimited and the vessels are much larger. Certainly nobody is starving on canned rations. they have fully stocked kitchens with freezers and can take on greens at the places they visit.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
A Yacht is a pleasure craft used for short trips for the joy of sailing. It's a camper on water. You take on whatever food suits your taste for a couple of days and you're likely close to land where you can take on more.

If you're describing a sea-going vessel for island hopping or world touring then the amenities are unlimited and the vessels are much larger. Certainly nobody is starving on canned rations.
Depends on what you're doing, to be fair. A couple of years ago they had a Golden Globe single-handed non-stop race around the planet for 32-36 foot pre-1988 yachts. I wonder what they had to eat, and when they had time to do anything beyond heat something up and wolf it down.

Last edited by DPRK; 02-08-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:10 PM

OP, save up your pennies and get you one of these. You might like it.

https://www.northropandjohnson.com/y...2m-269-concept

It doesn't list the price because its probably too painful to look at. Elevators?? Man, I would love it.

Last edited by UltraVires; 02-08-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Depends on what you're doing, to be fair. A couple of years ago they had a Golden Globe single-handed non-stop race around the planet for 32-36 foot pre-1988 yachts. I wonder what they had to eat, and when they had time to do anything beyond heat something up and wolf it down.
Well sure there are always a bunch of nutters who like pain. Some people like to hike trails full of butterflies and then there are people who spend tons of money for the privilege of a painful death march to the top of mount Everest.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7dCTwlAI8Y
[...]
You're a millionaire in a valuable currency? What does that even mean?
[...]
Oh, that is nice! Didn't know that episode
[...]
It means that it's not the same to be a -millionaire or a JP-millionaire. In Zimbabwean dollars everybody can be a millionaire.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
OP, save up your pennies and get you one of these. You might like it.

https://www.northropandjohnson.com/y...2m-269-concept
Granted, the ammonite on the wall looks great, but sailing under Italian flag? I'd rather not.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:10 AM

I have learned that sailing is so important for some that merely asking what the pleasure of it is irks them. I will not do it again.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have learned that sailing is so important for some that merely asking what the pleasure of it is irks them. I will not do it again.
Then you have totally missed the point. There are all sorts of activities in this world that aren't everybody's cup of tea, but enough people get into that there's plenty of people engaging in those activities, there's plenty of supporting infrastructure, etc.

The appeal of any of them will ultimately be impossible to explain to someone who genuinely just doesn't 'get' why anyone would want to spend their free time participating in that activity.

So if someone I know likes to crochet, for instance, I'm not going to try to get them to explain the appeal of it to me. At least not to the level you've taken it to here.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
When somebody (Elmer Fudd?) mentions a yacht, why are people automatically talking about $30 million or even $5 million boats (which admittedly are nice, especially if you plan to live on one for an extended tour). Are houses "an expensive toy for the super-rich"? Because a normal yacht that normal people buy costs a lot less than your apartment, maybe even less than some posters' cars.
I recently read "The Riddle of the Sands'', a smash hit spy novel of 1903, which discusses the cramped yet supposedly exhilarating experience of sailing a small yacht all over the place. Partial plot summary:

Carruthers, a minor official in the Foreign Office, is contacted by an acquaintance, Davies, asking him to join in a yachting holiday in the Baltic Sea. Carruthers agrees, as his other plans for a holiday have fallen through, and because of a heartbreak due to a woman he courted becoming engaged to another man.

He arrives to find that Davies has a small sailing boat (the vessel is named Dulcibella, a reference to Childers's own sister of that name), not the comfortable crewed yacht that he expected. However Carruthers agrees to go on the trip and joins Davies in Flensburg on the Baltic, whence they head for the Frisian Islands, off the coast of Germany. Carruthers has to learn quickly how to sail the small boat.

Davies gradually reveals that he suspects that the Germans are undertaking something sinister in the German Frisian islands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riddle_of_the_Sands

Spoiler alert: the book doesn't get a whole lot more exciting than that. Lots of detail about small yacht crewing though, enough to convince me that sailing, especially through tiny channels while avoiding mudflats was not for me.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You still don't understand that what some people like, other do not? Does everyone you know like to eat the same food, listen to the same music, watch the same sports?
Old 02-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
You still don't understand that what some people like, other do not? Does everyone you know like to eat the same food, listen to the same music, watch the same sports?
Yes precisely. Is it really such a burden to the imagination to understand why someone might like sailing? Do you really believe things you've said about food on boats etc.

I'm indifferent to sailing. I've enjoyed it the few times I've done it, but don't seek it out and wouldn't miss it if it somehow went away. But it doesn't take much imagination to see why people would like it.

Another example: I know nothing about K-pop. I couldn't name any songs and only know the name of one band, only because it was mentioned in a thread here. I'm sure I would hate it. But it's not hard to understand why some people would like it, and I don't begrudge them for being into something I don't care for.

It's not the objection to yachting people are irked by, it's the attitude of "I don't like [insert thing here] therefore no one should, and the people who like it are being dumb."
Old 02-09-2020, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Another example that Pardel-Lux might relate to; their profile page says they are fans of FC Barcelona. Well, what if I told you that I don't understand how anyone could be interest in football? It's a low-scoring game that's perhaps only slightly less boring than golf. And to actually attend a football match; sitting in the stands surrounded by 50-60,000 screaming, probably drunk fans? Sounds like hell to me.

But I wouldn't tell you that because I understand that many millions love the sport (and also I'm not that negative about it).

Does my analogy help you to understand that people's interests are different?
Old 02-09-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
Pardel-Lux, I for one completely agree with you. Fuck yachts. I get sea sick easily and expanses of water are really boring. But I also don't understand mansions. Why have so many fancy rooms when you can only be in one at a time? Why bother? Seems so stupid and wasteful. Look at all the money you would save if you just lived in an ordinary small house of, say, 1200 square feet. Big enough for two bedrooms so somebody could even stay over on occasion. Much more practical. It's a mystery to me.
its mostly a way to show other people and to show yourself that you are doing well financially from what I can tell.

But I can understand the desire for a lot of bedrooms. If you have a 6 bedroom house and 3 kids, then you have one bedroom for each kid, a master bedroom, a guest bedroom and the sixth bedroom is used a a den or office.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
its mostly a way to show other people and to show yourself that you are doing well financially from what I can tell.

But I can understand the desire for a lot of bedrooms. If you have a 6 bedroom house and 3 kids, then you have one bedroom for each kid, a master bedroom, a guest bedroom and the sixth bedroom is used a a den or office.
For any large expenditure (relative to whoever is commenting) you can always say 'it's mostly a way to show off'. But if you have money the only three choices aren't to refuse to spend it, give it away, or 'show off'. There's a fourth possibility: you really enjoy the things it buys.

There are more aspects to house values mainly because unlike yachts or cars they don't move. So you can have an expensive modest size house in a very expensive location or an expensive big house in a less expensive location. I favor the former, but how much less will you be accused of 'showing off' because an observer has to be interested enough to spend 2 minutes looking up the house on Zillow, 'that little house costs WHAT!?!' v seeing an equal price McMansion in a cheaper area?

Anyway I see it the same for the original topic of yacht or over mobile thing like car or plane. It's perfectly possible the person gets enjoyment out of an expensive thing besides what other people think. And if other people think they are 'showing off', why should they GAS anyway?

Last edited by Corry El; 02-09-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oh. Yachts.

I thought the OP was asking what a yutz was good for.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

that was a failed miniature whoosh. It's like Tevye sings, "I'd have one long staircase just going up, and one even longer going down, and one more going nowhere, just for show."

I always have loved that one even longer going down.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 02-09-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Pardel-Lux, Here's an article on a forthcoming book about superyachts and their owners. Basically, they have them to project their wealth status among other super rich people:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...floating-homes

Interestingly, Bill Gates has just ordered a hydrogen powered superyacht. https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...red-superyacht
Old 02-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I saw an interview with Pete Townshend a while back on PBS. He confessed that one of the reasons he still goes out on tour is to finance his yachting habit. Said it cost him around $200K a year to sail and maintain his racing yacht.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:41 PM

Bill Gates just placed an order for the world's first hydrogen-powered yacht, valued at $644 million.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:56 PM

My father-in-law, owner of a big-enough cabin cruiser, was Commodore at a big-enough yacht club. He told his wife that he wanted to retire on the boat to Baja California when he shuttered his practice. Go ahead, she said. SPOILER: Didn't happen.

What's a yacht club good for? Nice place for a fancy fest to celebrate a daughter graduating med school.

What's a yacht good for? Good question. I'd rather drive a dirigible.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:10 AM
Chicago Savant

A couple of years ago we had a thread about what you'd choose if a billionaire offered to buy you one tangible object. After pondering a bit, surprisingly, I said a yacht—even though I care nothing about sailing or nautical stuff.

Why, then? I enjoy traveling to cities; many of the world's nicest cities can be reached by water; I'd have a place to sleep at night. To pay for the crew, I could rent it out part of the year to others, or as an Airbnb.
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk VII View Post
Technically, a 'yacht' is a pleasure craft of any size or type. The type that resembles a cold shower is an ocean sailing yacht. The kind I enjoy is a sailing dingy. The kind that is furthest from my enjoyment would be a small motor yacht. If I was rich enough for a large motor yacht, I'd probably spend the money on something else.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM

I think it depends entirely on where you live. A lot of boat owners live in coastal areas which may or may not offer interesting travel opportunities but many coastal areas are just boring. I owned a sailboat for a time that was big enough for a week or two of cruising, and it was terrific because I was (and still am) within driving distance of the Georgian Bay and North Channel areas of the Great Lakes, one of the most beautiful areas for boating in the world. Buying my first sailboat and sailing it across Georgian Bay and down Lake Huron over the course of a week was one of the most unforgettable experiences of my life. The fact that I had limited sailing experience and my companion had none at all just added to the sheer adventure of it all. There is no experience on earth like anchoring in a quiet bay like this as the sun sets, listening to the loons, having a few drinks, and preparing a few steaks on an outboard marine barbeque. It's like being on another planet, truly getting away from the world.

That aside, sailing can be one of the most exciting experiences you can imagine. Boring as hell when there's little wind, but piloting a big boat against a strong wind, heeling over at a seemingly precarious angle, and feeling the sheer power of nature driving you through crashing waves, the boat seeming to have a life and will of its own, is just breathtaking.