Old 02-02-2020, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

If the reason that you don't like science fiction movies is because they butcher the science, then how about Gravity and The Martian? Sure, the science isn't perfect in either, but it's pretty darned good (better than most of the "science journalism" you'll see).

Heck, even most of the Marvel movies have been making an effort to get the science as good as they can. Which is of course very limited, because, after all, superheroes. But they're trying.

Honestly, I'm not sure there's ever in movie history been a time when the science in SF movies has been better than now. It's a good time for science in the movies.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
How about a link to these amazing variety shows so we can decide for ourselves?
Two shows that I watch every Sunday are the Korean Running Man and Knowing Bros/Ask Me Anything available for viewing at Kshowonline.com. Both require a bit of knowledge about the regular's characters and the fact that the informal speech and mannerisms they show towards each is completely against Korean and generally Asian norms.

This weeks shows weren't the best, but I still had a few true belly laughs watching Knowing Bros. And the Running Man episodes 481-485 were some of the funniest in the nearly four years I've been watching the series.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If the reason that you don't like science fiction movies is because they butcher the science, then how about Gravity and The Martian? Sure, the science isn't perfect in either, but it's pretty darned good (better than most of the "science journalism" you'll see).

Heck, even most of the Marvel movies have been making an effort to get the science as good as they can. Which is of course very limited, because, after all, superheroes. But they're trying.

Honestly, I'm not sure there's ever in movie history been a time when the science in SF movies has been better than now. It's a good time for science in the movies.
Naw, Kubrick had the science of simulating the effects of the lowered gravity and the near vacuum of the moon down so pat in 1969 that he was able to nearly flawlessly fake all the moon landings!
Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
It seems you've defined the second series by the broadest definition of anime, which is any animation from Japan
No shit, Sherlock? How else do you define anime?
Old 02-03-2020, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
Watch movies from the 1930-70s, blockbusters and not so blockbuster, from all over the world.... 99% of movies made in my lifetime suck. Awful writing, acting stinks, trivial and stupid.
I don't think anybody's touched this comment, but it's been nagging at me: On what basis do you say that "acting stinks" in modern Hollywood movies? How so? Compared to what? If that's stinky acting, what does non-stinky acting look like?
Old 02-03-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
I'm sorry, but 1917 didn't live up to the hype for me. Yes, realistic visuals and the whole arty filmed in one shot stuff, but it had a video game plot and no character development at all. Like most "serious" Hollywood movies today. There were two by the book "emotional" scenes, and the rest were an increasingly implausible journey of one on one fights with single enemy soldiers and one woman and baby thrown in for, I dunno, pathos or something.

Movies for me ended with the Twentieth Century, Fox and all.
How are we defining 'Hollywood movie' for the purposes of this thread? Because I think 1917 is a stretch - British Writers, Director, Cinematographer, Actors, shot in England. Not saying Hollywood wasn't involved, but Hollywood movie?
Old 02-03-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Given lingyi is apparently only watching Asian (Japanese, Korean, Chinese) films, I think "Hollywood movies" is more or less synonymous with "Western movies", so British films count.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It's interesting that the thread is ostensibly on the question "Whatís so great about current Hollywood movies?" but over half of the early responses spoke to the question "Why can't we have good discussions anymore?" The only response to my post speaks to that.

English language experts: Stare intently at the underlined sentence from my quote. In 25 words or less, explain any inferences you might derive from the use of 'BUT' in that sentence.

And yet ... we have to put up with
I don't know what you are talking about. You wrongly assumed Joker was a superhero/action movie, and I said that it wasn't. What does English have to do with that?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:43 PM

Some of the Hollywood films I have liked since 2010 would include Inception, Life of Pi, American Hustle, Gravity, Her, Inside Out, The Martian, Arrival, Moonlight and Lady Bird.

Some themes that emerge:
a) A wider range of perspectives including women, blacks, gays etc e.g. Moonlight, Lady Bird
b) Extraordinary special effects as an integral part of a great story. e.g. Life of Pi, Inside Out
c) Stories that bend space and time in unique ways e.g. Inception, Arrival

Bottom line: Hollywood continues to make great films, and often ones that would not have been made 30 years ago. In particular I think it's a golden age of intelligent science-fiction films.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
Rollerball...
Jesus Christ Superstar
Big Trouble in Little China....
The Andromeda Strain...
The Green Berets
Caveman
I feel compelled to point out that several of the movies you listed as things you are interested in are movies that received mediocre to poor reviews. Iím sure we can all recognize the irony of pointing out bad movies that you like while questioning the quality of other movies.

But now Iím totally confused as to how to constructively recommend movies you might like. I mean, The Green Berets is basically the 1968 equivalent of the Fast and the Furious in terms of being a thoughtless action vehicle for has-been actors.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:18 PM

Re: "What’s so great about current Hollywood movies?"

Advances in visual efx have made it possible to realistically depict mosasaurs in movies; indeed, Aquaman had at least two of them and there are some in a couple Jurassic Park sequels I've never seen, including....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQeSnrVSMw

That is poetry. Billy fucking Shakespeare never wrote anything half as cool as that clip.

In contrast to all of Hollywood history, we are living in a golden age of movies featuring large marine reptiles and I, for one, am grateful for it.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:37 PM

I just pay for, and watch, classic movies on TCM. Everything from 'silent movies' on through the 70's. I find actors today dull and interchangeable. My daughter complains all the women are forgettable and all the men are, too - they all have 'generic man face' and she can't tell a Bradley Cooper from an Armie Hammer...... there are no 'stars' with any charisma any more....not to say I don't like fantasy, science fiction, a little horror (though horror is pathetic now, clowns and "boo!-gotcha-snarling-monsters-vomiting and slashing instead of anything actually scary). .... I have my little library of favorites, I don't have a lot of time left in this sad world, but if CGI and superheroes floats your boats, bless your hearts, enjoy.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

As someone who's crazy about movies, and seeing them in the theater, and who watches hundreds of movies a year in the theater, I say, it doesn't matter. If you don't like movies, no problem. Don't worry about it. Why would you want people to talk you into liking something that doesn't interest you? Like what you like and find like-minded people who share your passion.

I could write a multi-paragraph post about how I don't like sports, how I haven't watched a sporting event for decades, about how, even though I'm originally from the Kansas City area, I didn't watch the Super Bowl (I saw 4 movies that day), and yadda blah, but I wouldn't do that because, no one cares and I don't care enough to make the effort. People love sports. Good for them! I would never ever say "Sports suck". It's not for me, they're not my thing,*.

* I do love sports movies though, oddly enough.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:11 AM

Here's a simplistic answer. Movies of the past decade are so heavily enhanced by special effects, that movies without them seem lame by comparison. But the FX can carrry so much of the picture, that a studio can slack off on story, writing, acting, direction, etc., and fill the void with gee-whiz.

Boomer can see that empty space, that modern film-makers are trying to fill with effects.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I don't know what you are talking about. You wrongly assumed Joker was a superhero/action movie, and I said that it wasn't. What does English have to do with that?
Ouch. Please accept my apologies.

There's so much snark and whooshing lately (and I'm probably as guilty of that as anyone ) that I just assumed you were being sarcastic.

Very sincere sorry.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
though horror is pathetic now, clowns and "boo!-gotcha-snarling-monsters-vomiting and slashing instead of anything actually scary
Jordan Peele would like a word...
Old 02-05-2020, 04:50 PM

I know it's a cliche, but it is still true that films seen in movie theaters are more impressive than the same films watched at home. At the same time, around where I live, there must be a couple of dozen theaters with a couple of dozen screens each. They can't fill all 4 gross of them with dreck. OK, you've got Frozen II and Star Wars and Bad Boys, but there are still a few screens left over. So the theaters experiment and show films that are a bit marginal, films that you might actually enjoy. Unless you live somewhere where there are only a few movie screens in which case, I feel your pain.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:08 PM

Where I live, the nearest big screen is in Nowhere City, more than an hour's drive from my home. And almost all the movies there are dubbed into Thai.
They even dub Miss World! (Who cares what she's actually saying, I want to listen to her sexy voice. )