Old 01-30-2020, 04:40 PM

It is, again, somebody else's potentially sensitive information. Which she, by asking, acknowledges that nobody has a right to know without Claire's express permission.

That this is something she feels that Bubs might like to know is not the same thing as it being something that she needs to know to the point it would be a betrayal of trust not to share.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:55 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
But also indicating that she wants to share the information with Bubbles. For no discernable reason...
Faye asked, because Jeph's trying to model proper etiquette for this situation. Outing someone as trans without their permission - even to your SO - makes you a jerk.

Quote:
...other than that they are a couple who share information. So why is it so inconceivable for her to wonder why Bubbles didn't share the information with her?
Because while Faye can be an asshole, she's never been that kind of asshole. Her freaking out at Bubbles over not sharing this indicates that she thinks this is important information that should have been shared with her. Her thinking this is important information that should have been shared with her indicates that she's got issues around transexuality, and Faye having issues with transexuality does not at all fit with how she's been portrayed in the comic up to this point.

I suspect that the closest we'll come to this story line is Bubbles worrying that she screwed up by not telling Faye, and Faye reassuring her that she did not behave inappropriately.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hell, Claire’s brother has a fucking Robot Hand, and hardly anyone comments on it.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Except for possibly my favorite QC ever, at the party at Emily’s parents’ house, where Marigold says “So how come you got a robot hand?” And Claire says “He masturbated so much his hand withered and fell off!!!. And there’s a dead silence when everyone turns around and stares, and Marigold says “Wait, wouldn’t that have made the hand stronger?”
Old 01-30-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Her thinking this is important information that should have been shared with her indicates that she's got issues around transexuality, and Faye having issues with transexuality does not at all fit with how she's been portrayed in the comic up to this point.
Any of the major characters having issues with transgender people was rather explicitly ruled out in this comic. I think it's pretty clearly an authorial comment on the topic even though it's drawn by a guest artist.
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2987
Old 01-31-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I also don't think having wild emotions and sabotaging her relationship is out of character for her, but I'll be surprised if Jeph has one of the main cast react in a way that can be read as 'they aren't cool with Claire being trans and/or think it's an issue of any sort'. He's really treated the topic with kid gloves and seems deathly afraid of appearing in any way to condone transphobia, and it seems like that development would tread to close to 'this character in the cast has a problem with Claire'.
I don't think there'd be any transphobia from Faye. I'm literally just talking about an argument about sharing information, the nature of the information is irrelevant.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
If it's got nothing to do with Claire being trans, exactly what is the information that Bubbles didn't share with Faye? How on earth can you say that "not sharing information" has nothing to do with said "information"? It's explicitly about the information, and that information is "Claire is trans".
Naah. That information could just as easily be anything.

Note Faye's first question. I bet her big issue isn't going to be "why didn't you tell me?", it's going to be "why didn't you ask if you could tell me?". If he do go that route, it'd explicitly be about the relationship dynamic itself, not the stimulus.
Quote:
Healthy couples
I'ma stop you there with an important question:

Which QC wecomic have you been reading?
Old 01-31-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Her freaking out at Bubbles over not sharing this indicates that she thinks this is important information that should have been shared with her.
Not really. I've seen people freak out over the most inconsequential stuff. Relationships aren't about logic.
Quote:
I suspect that the closest we'll come to this story line is Bubbles worrying that she screwed up by not telling Faye, and Faye reassuring her that she did not behave inappropriately.
I hope so, believe me. It's not a storyline I actually want. But that "Huh" sounded ... off to me.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I think Jeph has a conscious goal here to have a trans character where her being trans is largely incidental to the plot, just because that's not something you see very often.
A noble goal, and too bad he's trying it with Claire who is so amazingly boring that being trans is literally the only half-interesting thing about her.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I don't think there'd be any transphobia from Faye. I'm literally just talking about an argument about sharing information, the nature of the information is irrelevant.
Quote:
Naah. That information could just as easily be anything.
The nature of the information is absolutely key. Do you really think that if Faye found out that Bubbles knew something minor like 'Claire thinks penguins are cute' but didn't think it was worth passing on, that it would spark the same conflict as if Bubbles had a big secret like 'Claire is actually an experimental Cyborg'?

Quote:
Note Faye's first question. I bet her big issue isn't going to be "why didn't you tell me?", it's going to be "why didn't you ask if you could tell me?". If he do go that route, it'd explicitly be about the relationship dynamic itself, not the stimulus.
And it will indicate that Faye is completely off of her rocker if she asks "Why didn't you ask someone if you could share a secret with me before we were even dating?". Even the most codependent couples don't expect their partner to have forseen the relationship before it happened.

Quote:
I'ma stop you there with an important question:

Which QC wecomic have you been reading?
I'ma stop you there with an important statement: I didn't assert that any or all relationships in QC were healthy, and you're clearly trying to imply that I did.

Last edited by Pantastic; 01-31-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Looks like we’re back to the goddam robots, anyway.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The nature of the information is absolutely key. Do you really think that if Faye found out that Bubbles knew something minor like 'Claire thinks penguins are cute' but didn't think it was worth passing on, that it would spark the same conflict as if Bubbles had a big secret like 'Claire is actually an experimental Cyborg'?
Not that. But any secret - say Dora told Bubbles she was planning a surprise honeymoon for Tai, and Faye only finds out when Dora announces it at the wedding reception, while making it clear Bubbles was in on it. That could spark the same kind of convo, even though it's not remotely the same kind of info.
Quote:
And it will indicate that Faye is completely off of her rocker if she asks "Why didn't you ask someone if you could share a secret with me before we were even dating?". Even the most codependent couples don't expect their partner to have forseen the relationship before it happened.
Naah, the expectation would be that once they started dating, Bubbles would have asked Claire for permission to tell then. No prescience required.
Quote:
I'ma stop you there with an important statement: I didn't assert that any or all relationships in QC were healthy, and you're clearly trying to imply that I did.
I'm implying you seem to think Faye's were.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

In the QC world, a “surprise honeymoon” would be a long weekend in Worcester.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Naah, the expectation would be that once they started dating, Bubbles would have asked Claire for permission to tell then. No prescience required.
Like I said, this is absurdly over the top demanding, controlling, and overbearing even for Faye if she considers it minor information. And if Faye considers it major information, then like Miller said it indicates she has issues with transgender people, which is contrary to the previous direction the strip has taken.

Quote:
I'm implying you seem to think Faye's were.
And I'm directly stating that what you are implying is completely incorrect.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Like I said, this is absurdly over the top demanding, controlling, and overbearing even for Faye if she considers it minor information. And if Faye considers it major information, then like Miller said it indicates she has issues with transgender people, which is contrary to the previous direction the strip has taken.
Well, while we the readers know when Claire told Bubbles (strip 3337, sometime in 2016, well before Bubbles & Faye started dating, and, in fact, before the entire memory encryption/deletion plot line), there's no indication that Faye does. So given her rather poor impulse control and decision making skills, it's at least possible she'll assume it happened after they started dating, and wonder why Bubbles didn't ask if she could share the info. Since, for the umpteenth time, Faye's immediate reaction was to ask if she could share the info with Bubbles.

Quote:
And I'm directly stating that what you are implying is completely incorrect.
So why bring up your opinion of what people in healthy relationships do, if you're freely admitting Faye doesn't have a history of healthy relationships?
Old 01-31-2020, 01:49 PM
Sith Mod

Has Faye had that many messed up relationships? Before she hooked up with Bubbles, the only relationship I remember seeing her in was with Sven, and while that didn't work out in the end, I don't remember it being all that terrible, until Sven fucked it up. Am I forgetting some other major relationship drama featuring Faye?
Old 01-31-2020, 01:54 PM

There was Angus. They dated for a few years (real time), he got a job as a writer on Conan or Letterman or something, and was going to have to move to NYC. He asked her to move with him. Instead of agreeing, or trying long distance, or anything, she broke up with him on the spot. And started drinking a lot. On the job. Leading to her firing from Coffee of Doom.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:55 PM
Sith Mod

Ah, right, I'd forgotten about Angus.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Like I said, this is absurdly over the top demanding, controlling, and overbearing even for Faye
We have very different views of Faye's personality, then.

And I'd class her earlier (non)relationship with Marten as fucked up too. And her relationship with the bottle.

Last edited by MrDibble; 01-31-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Well, while we the readers know when Claire told Bubbles (strip 3337, sometime in 2016, well before Bubbles & Faye started dating, and, in fact, before the entire memory encryption/deletion plot line), there's no indication that Faye does. So given her rather poor impulse control and decision making skills, it's at least possible she'll assume it happened after they started dating, and wonder why Bubbles didn't ask if she could share the info.
"Why didn't you ask if you could share this?" "It was before we were together" "Oh, lol" at best makes a one-off throwaway comic, and certainly doesn't sustain a "Faye-Bubbles fight because bubbles knew and didn't tell Faye". I don't see any route to an actual fight in there, just a brief discussion.

Quote:
Since, for the umpteenth time,
No one is disputing that, so unnecessarily repeating it over and over while complaining that you're repeating it seems a bit silly.

Quote:
So why bring up your opinion of what people in healthy relationships do, if you're freely admitting Faye doesn't have a history of healthy relationships?
I brought it up because it was information that I wished to convey in the context of the conversation.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
A noble goal, and too bad he's trying it with Claire who is so amazingly boring that being trans is literally the only half-interesting thing about her.
He's not so much trying it with Claire so much as having been doing it with Claire since he revealed she was trans. The way Marten reacted, the way he responded when he saw her naked, the way no one makes a big deal out of it, the way even the asshole characters like Pintsize consider it something not to talk about. Hell, even the part where he's said he'll never say what her genital situation is because it's no one's business.

BTW, I also find it funny to see you call Claire boring. I'm used to the old subreddit where they HATE her, saying she's controlling (of Marten), a busybody who butts into other people's business, has boundary issues, is selfish with her anxiety, and needs to face some sort of comeuppance rather than always having everything going her way.

The new subreddit is made up of the people who defend her, or like her because they see themselves in her. But I've never encountered anyone calling her boring before.

I don't agree (I'm in the identify with her camp), but it's kinda refreshing.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:07 PM

And I don't agree that Faye's relationship with Sven wasn't "all that terrible". It started with a drunken hookup with her best friend's sleazy womanizing brother who she loathed. Followed by morning panic, then a sober hookup. Then a trip to her therapist. Followed by a few more hookups, Sven treating Faye poorly and her continuing to come back because, in her words: "I'm a bitch to deal with too, so it's OK. We deserve each other.", and Faye stating she's only in it for the sex. Then being completely freaked out and shocked when Sven slept with another woman.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
But I've never encountered anyone calling her boring before.
As far as I can tell, her whole personality is "Tee-hee, I'm such a dork" and that's about it. I have no actual issue with how Jeph handles the trans thing, I was just saying that (from my perspective) if it were part of a more interesting character then you could say "This character did this and that and this other thing and does this... also, she's trans" but, with Claire, it feels (again, to me) like you might as well talk about her being trans because there's only so much mileage to be gotten out of "likes stupid puns and was once she was worried about a test."

Even the stuff you mention seems to be about her interacting with others and not really anything interesting about Claire herself.

Last edited by Jophiel; 01-31-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:33 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Hmm.

Likely not foreshadowing, but amusing in context.

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1300
Old 02-03-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
BTW, I also find it funny to see you call Claire boring. I'm used to the old subreddit where they HATE her, saying she's controlling (of Marten), a busybody who butts into other people's business, has boundary issues, is selfish with her anxiety, and needs to face some sort of comeuppance rather than always having everything going her way.

The new subreddit is made up of the people who defend her, or like her because they see themselves in her. But I've never encountered anyone calling her boring before.
I also find her pretty boring. I agree that she is a selfish busybody who is controlling about Marten and butts into other people's business, but it's just not that interesting. It doesn't help a lot of the women in the strip are pushy and selfish (especially when it comes to Marten), it really seems to be about the author's life experience, so these traits don't even stand out that much. I find the puns amusing, but they don't need her to happen, and beyond that she's just kind of bland, and I know the author isn't going to have her do anything especially bad or have anything especially bad happen to her (at least for more than a single strip).
Old 02-03-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
It doesn't help a lot of the women in the strip are pushy and selfish (especially when it comes to Marten)
Yeah, I guess I never found her especially pushy but probably because 95% of her interactions are with Marten and every woman in Marten's life walks all over him anyway.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Hmm.

Likely not foreshadowing, but amusing in context.

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1300
Somewhere in the archives there's an early strip talking about Faye dating a robot.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:57 PM

Aaand we're back to a Brun sequence. I had hoped Jeph would take a hint and not bring her back, but no such luck.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:57 PM

He seems to be pretty dead set on getting a triad relationship into the mix, so expect more Brun, Clinton and Eliot.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

It even has the line about how Bubbles did 100% the right thing and how Faye isn't mad, because that's exactly what Jeph is doing--he's modeling how to treat trans people.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:55 PM

The world of Questionable Content is a world in which I'd like to live, even though I'm not trans. I like the way people treat each other.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:27 AM

Yeah, I was just ducking in here to post what BigT just posted. I expected pretty much the same thing as Miller, no drama re trans stuff re Faye/Bubs. Not a tough call with this author.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
The world of Questionable Content is a world in which I'd like to live, even though I'm not trans. I like the way people treat each other.
Plus every minimum wage slacker gets a robot.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:28 PM

Ok, so Faye wasn't angry with Bubbles, but it did bother her. Even though she freely admitted that Bubbles was right, and that her reaction is "dumb as hell", she's still clearly unhappy that there might be anything they don't tell each other. Which is what I was hanging my "she might get angry with Bubbles" theory on. I think the strip was a bit more nuanced than any of us were predicting.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, so Faye wasn't angry with Bubbles, but it did bother her. Even though she freely admitted that Bubbles was right, and that her reaction is "dumb as hell", she's still clearly unhappy that there might be anything they don't tell each other.

IOW a good but non-caricatured couple relationship between normal people.

As to reactions to Claire, I was never in doubt of how it would go, very early on I perceived every sympathetic character in QC would be 100% chill on these sorts of issues. I remember people had a harder time getting Tilly’s name right than their pronouns.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:03 PM

The comics with Claire, then moving on to Brun made me wonder if we're not getting into the same place I found myself while reading Girls with Slingshots. Basically, that I hated 95% of the cast and wondered why I was still reading it.

QC isn't there yet but it did remind me that there's a lot of people in the strip who I either don't give a shit about or else actively dislike*.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
The comics with Claire, then moving on to Brun made me wonder if we're not getting into the same place I found myself while reading Girls with Slingshots. Basically, that I hated 95% of the cast and wondered why I was still reading it.

QC isn't there yet but it did remind me that there's a lot of people in the strip who I either don't give a shit about or else actively dislike*.
I've quit. It's just become a little too "Love Is..." for me.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 PM

I've sometimes felt that way, but there's enough moments of awesome (I just ran across Hanellore in the archive confronting her mother in the boardroom a while back, yelling at the other suits to GET OUT, and they meekly leave, mumbling, "She has the Voice!" "The Weirding Way!") that I keep coming back. And I find a few of the characters quite charming, though not the ones lately so much.