Old 01-30-2020, 06:06 PM

October Faction on Netflix

I spent my yesterday watching October Faction on Netflix and found it pretty enjoyable.

A family who works for a shadow service called Presidio that hunt monsters. Kids don't know what the parents do for a living (they think they work in insurance). Grandpa dies so the family goes back to the parents home town. All kinds of weird shit happens.

I am curious if anyone else has watched it yet and what their thoughts are.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

I started watching it this week, and am enjoying it. I have never read the comic its based on, but I really like the characters and the set up, however, the two kids really annoy me. Whether its the way they are written, or the choices the actors make, they just come across as smarmy, pompous entitled little shits. Everything else I really like.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:27 AM

We watched it over a couple of days- enjoyed it overall and am interested in where they take it for season 2.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I've watched about half of it. Not sure it's really keeping my attention or not. Is there more action towards the end as all this drama stuff is getting a bit boring.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward The Head View Post
I've watched about half of it. Not sure it's really keeping my attention or not. Is there more action towards the end as all this drama stuff is getting a bit boring.
I'd say ride it out - the final couple of episodes brings this story all together.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:53 AM

I'm a couple of episodes in. It's not bad. I like shows about supernatural monster hunters in general. The cast, particularly Bones alum Tamara Taylor, is agreeable. The kids sometimes sound a little too precocious, like they were written by adults who don't remember what kids actually sound like. But, in general, I'm happy to see where the show goes.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Watched it all the way through. Mostly Meh from me. It was good but not great. Lots of odd decisions made by the characters and plot holes big enough to drive a truck through.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef View Post
Watched it all the way through. Mostly Meh from me. It was good but not great. Lots of odd decisions made by the characters and plot holes big enough to drive a truck through.
This sums it up for me.

To get into more detail, I don't think the kid's story has a great payoff. I agree that the writing with them was erratic. Sometimes they are more adult than the adults, and the next scene, they are more petty and entitled than anyone. I felt like we only needed to have the one scene with the star football player and Viv, and then the carnival scene (or whatever it was called) to understand most of the kids' storyline.

(I don't know if spoilers are allowed, so won't say more on that.)

I also think that if the kids' storyline was dropped, we could get some needed background on the world and the mythology. Maybe this would close up some of those gaping plot holes.

Having said those, I finished it and mostly enjoyed it. IMDB has it rated as a 6.1 and I can agree with that.

Thanks for the discussion!
Old 02-11-2020, 02:08 AM

I've seen episode one so far, and am interested enough to keep watching.