Old 02-10-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
More stupid insurance commercials:

The one with Tina Fey and Mayhem as her pet dog. He's licking her and she's claiming that she's not distracted because she's got the "drive safe" 1984 monitoring software. But how is she not distracted? She's got a huge dog licking her face. That's like the definition of distracted driving.
No, it's brilliant because Mayhem/Dean Winters played Tina's/Liz Lemon's boyfriend Dennis on 30 Rock. He called her "Dummy" which is why her "Who's the dummy now?" is funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Why is a cruise line using a song that is blatantly about using psychedelic drugs? That one really puzzles me. Do they really not know what it's about?
Better than the cruise line that used " Lust for Life. "
Old 02-10-2020, 06:52 PM

A couple cell phone companies might be kinda racist. Consumer Cellular has a black woman happy to save money, "Now I can go shopping!" Another black woman is glad that weekends are free so she can spend Sundays talking with her mom. Seems cliched and kinda offensive.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:34 AM

all the damn income tax commericals which most of em have been recycled for a few years
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkMeister View Post
Is that the one where they show people supposedly "doing their taxes" while they're doing other things? No, they aren't doing their taxes, they're paying someone else to do their taxes.
No, that's H&R Block. TurboTax is the one with all kinds of different people succeeding at all kinds of difficult tasks, like burping a baby, or balancing on the back of a mechanical bull, or making a giant science project volcano. The guy reaching around and smacking the microwave that is behind him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
A couple cell phone companies might be kinda racist. Consumer Cellular has a black woman happy to save money, "Now I can go shopping!" Another black woman is glad that weekends are free so she can spend Sundays talking with her mom. Seems cliched and kinda offensive.
Are those stereotypes? Isn't it more a female stereotype to spend all their extra money shopping, no race specific? And spending Sundays talking to mom doesn't seem particularly black to me, either.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:19 PM

They're TV Black stereotypes.

Wounded Warrior Project has one with a guy whose Humvee got blowed up by a couple IEDs. He says that at one point the doctor told him he had reached his plateau. He gets all huffy, saying, "I don't have a plateau," so he set out to prove the doctor wrong. I don't want to give him shit in person because the inside of his skull had played handball with his brain, but I want to tell him how medical sorts use "plateau":

1. To describe a real, temporary situation in which your progress pauses after going great guns; your body catches its breath.

2. The doctor thinks you're dogging it and wants to piss you off so you work harder.

Either way, it's not an endpoint.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:13 PM

At least Geico has moved on from using Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" to sell motorcycle insurance. You know, the song with lyrics "like a drifter I was born to walk alone". I guess that's why he needs insurance, his bike is always broken so he has to walk everywhere.