Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 PM

If you're itching for more black metal-ish stuff in your ears...

In March, a new release hit the shelves from a "supergroup". VLTIMAS is David Vincent (ex-Morbid Angel vocals), Rune "Blasphemer" Eriksen (ex-Mayhem, Aura Noir guitarist) and Flo Monier (Cryptopsy drummer) and they totally fucking rock. Black metal guitarist, old school death metal vocalist, tech death drummer = catchy rifftastic brutality.

VLTIMAS - Something Wicked Marches In

So would folks be interested in a thread to talk about 2019's new releases, or should we just keep posting here?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 05-31-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:04 AM
Yo soy pinche idiota
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I agree that by today's standards it is plodding & one-dimensional but the performances are all good, including RJD's vocals and it does have iconic status because it was his first solo album and, again, it didn't totally suck.
Yeah, I have to agree that my review was completely "by today's standards". When I was a young'un I was happy to learn the parts. Hell, I was happy to learn Dokken bass and guitar parts, at the time. So, my tastes then and now are entirely suspect, as they should be.

As to whether we need another long-running metal thread? Nah, I don't think we need one. We might be able to support one, but I don't see the need. Unless NAF1138 has an objection, I don't see why we can't talk about new releases in here. I mean, we can be polite, but he's not our supervisor!

Some folks might call this metal-adjacent, but I'm of the persuasion that thinks those barriers are pretty fuzzy (heh heh). I've pre-ordered Cherubs' Immaculada High already. They're an Austin Psych-Noise-Metal outfit that originally ran from 91-94, then got together again in 2014, and I love both eras. Maybe more stoner metal than anything else, but totally heavy, totally rockin'.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:31 AM

I'm happy with keeping this going to talk about new stuff as it comes up. It will help me keep in touch with stuff that Google does not tell me about* or that isn't profiled on Banger TV.

*Google is creepy and knows way more about what I am interested in than I would expect and has started giving me push notifications on my phone about this stuff. Creepy, but useful.

Last edited by NAF1138; 06-01-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Sepultura released a new album the other day and it is getting hugely positive reviews, perhaps their best since Max left the band.

I've listened to some of it and honestly, it is one of their best efforts post-Max.

Give it a listen here. It's called Quadra.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 PM

I liked A-Lex but haven't listened to them except in passing since then. I've listened to the first 3 songs from Quadra and what I heard was very, very good; thanks for the link.

ETA: I should have returned the favor. This was just posted a few hours ago; the EP will be released next week: Vaginal Penetration Of An Amelus With A Musty Carrot - Austrian Dukes of Derangement!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-13-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I've listened to the first 3 songs from Quadra and what I heard was very, very good; thanks for the link.
Interestingly, it is kind of four albums of 3 songs each. They used 4 phases of themselves as a band and tried to produce new songs in those styles.

Those first three songs are like they first few albums(ending with Arise).

The next three songs are like Roots and Chaos AD.

The third set of songs is like Against-near recent stuff.

The fourth set is....more like 3 new modern Sepultura songs.

Anyway, a neat experiment and is clear they are still trying. No lazy tracks on the album.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:51 AM

This came out late last year and I have no other reason for posting other than to tell y'all about them; they've been together for 6 or 7 years now, from DC : Red Death - Sickness Divine. This is the title track off their new album.

This is more a kind of NWOAMH kind of tune. This style, with screamed vocals and a more even mix, is kind of making a comeback at the moment.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-14-2020 at 12:51 AM.