Old 02-12-2020, 04:32 PM

In Ep. 3, Picard recognized Commodore Oh's name and seemed to think she was a Vulcan, but, when asked, he admitted he did not actually know her, only that he heard she was "very good at her job".

I assume that Earth has a united central government, as do a bunch of other planets, and that the Federation is, well, a federation of multiple planets, and operates a federal government. One complication seems to be that Starfleet is run by the Federation, but also employs a few non-Federation-citizens; maybe that is not unheard of historically. But, prior to Romulus's destruction anyway, I don't suppose you could have expected many Romulans to openly sign up. (ETA in Captain Kirk's time the cold war was so cold apparently no one from Earth could even claim to have seen a Romulan in over a century.) I figure they will clarify the legal status of various Romulan refugees a bit more in the next episode.

Last edited by DPRK; 02-12-2020 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:43 PM

I suspect this new "Romulan hatred of AI"...which may just be a trait of the Zhad Vash...and the fact that the Cube disconnected from The Borg after assimilating Romulans...is related.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
(It seems likely that Commodore Oh is a secret Romulan, but she's pretending to be a Vulcan to infiltrate Starfleet security.)
I'd like to think Starfleet isn't going to fall for the same trick twice.

[Ambassador T'Pel] Want a lick? Psyche! [/Ambassador T'Pel]

But I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 AM

I see that the ST universe hasn't yet switched to gender-neutral pronouns.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:13 PM

I'm watching ep 4 now...and i realized something

I want to applaud the producers for stopping to try and figure out what 'futuristic garb' will look like and just have people wear civilian clothes that look a great deal like ours.

Picard and Riker in 'comfortable garb' always looked like they were on spa holiday.

I really like the SF uniforms we've seen so far and of course the overall production value.

Edit: I also have a hard time seeing how we're going to get a meaningful resolution by the end of ep 10. Nor a realistic direction once enough goals have been achieved. They arn't a super-team!! 'Rag-tag bunch of do-gooders in a Star Trek setting....?' I dunno.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 02-13-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:15 AM

Soji's little Data-esque head tilt of curiosity when Narek told her about the Borg ritual was a nice touch.

A few of the reviews I've read are making the obvious Cersei/Jaime connection with Narissa/Narek, but is anyone else getting a Battlestar Galactica Head Six feel from Narissa when she's ostensibly(?) onboard the cube with Narek? Her demeanor is way more creepyhorny than when she is communicating via hologram, for one thing.

Last edited by zbuzz; 02-14-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
They arn't a super-team!! 'Rag-tag bunch of do-gooders in a Star Trek setting....?' I dunno.
I just wish that somebody would say "You son of a bitch--I'm in."
Old 02-15-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Picard and Riker in 'comfortable garb' always looked like they were on spa holiday.

I really like the SF uniforms we've seen so far and of course the overall production value.
Don't forget Ryker's sparkly man cleavage shirt. Now with more chesthair exposure.

It's not only the uniform designs but the overall costumes that are great, because there's so much diversity. The hair department is doing a great job too. I loved that in the last episode, the people on Vashti had pretty much every Romulan hairstyle there ever was, from the classic shortish bowlcut with the V-shaped bangs to complete baldness to whathaveyou.

Last edited by Sandwood; 02-15-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
I'm watching ep 4 now...and i realized something

I want to applaud the producers for stopping to try and figure out what 'futuristic garb' will look like and just have people wear civilian clothes that look a great deal like ours.

I actually dislike that. The TNG era civies were better. Our clothes are similar to but distinct from the clothes of the 19th century. The TNG (and DS9) clothes were clearly different from ours even if they followed the same scheme.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
Finally, I'm sure it has been explained before and I could look it up, but why does a Frenchman have an English accent?
You do realise that Picards RP accent is **not** Patrick Stewarts original accent either?
Old 02-16-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
The XO skipper's holographic pal made me wonder: are all AIs beyond a certain level now banned in the Federation, making even sentient holograms illegal, or are only Data-type androids using "positronic brains" verboten? Seems like a hacked/rogue AI could still do a lot of damage even without an android body. What about Korby-type and other known android technologies? (I guess all those are obviously banned now too, though it doesn't seem like the Federation was ever able to recover that tech, especially with that Romulan cabal that "operate without regard for treaty or jurisdiction" in their mission to purge the galaxy of all synthetic life.) What about non- or only semi-intelligent robots on assembly lines and such? All automated factories suddenly getting shut down sounds like a catastrophic disaster,
I've been wondering about these issues, too. The (IMO unnecessarily proliferated, but well) holographic helpers of various kinds are clearly pretty sophisticated AIs, and there doesn't seem to be any great hindrance to having them control robot bodies, so what's the difference between them and the synths? Is it just that they still have to be connected to some huge ship computer, thus lacking the autonomy of data-type androids?

It just seems kinda incongruous that, on the one hand, the Federation now seems to operate on a general 'AI bad' policy, while there's like five sophisticated AIs running around on Broody Beardguy's ship alone. What's the salient difference between synths and holos? Seems like this is something that needs to be addressed.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:14 PM

I'm starting to think what they actually mean is Intelligent Artificial Life and not just Artificial Intelligence per se.

I think that we can agree that one definition of artificial intelligence would probably include sentience and self-awareness, and an ability to learn and to change.

I never watched any of the newer series after Voyager, mind you, but the only holograms of that level that I know of were Moriarty and the Holo-Doc, and both were very much unique if for different reasons. And yet they weren't even granted the status of personhood despite obviously being sentient and self-aware, and mostly this seems to be because they lack a permanent physical body.

On the other hand, those synths on Mars seemed very basic to me. Their communication skills were at a minimal level and not geared towards even learning how to interact more naturally, and it looks like they were barely more than worker drones, not capable of performing much more than just the work they were created for. If they possessed any self-awareness, it was probably rudimentary at best. And yet their going rogue led to the "ban of AIs". The one thing they did have that even the most sentient of holograms doesn't is a real actual body.

So could it be just that? There isn't just one biological definition of what life is, but many of the common definitions start with the fact that it's about physical entities. (Sorry, energy beings, we're totally ignoring you here.)
Old 02-16-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwood View Post
I never watched any of the newer series after Voyager, mind you, but the only holograms of that level that I know of were Moriarty and the Holo-Doc, and both were very much unique if for different reasons. And yet they weren't even granted the status of personhood despite obviously being sentient and self-aware, and mostly this seems to be because they lack a permanent physical body.
Wasn't the Doctor granted personhood after Voyager returned to the Alpha Quadrant? At least in the first time line in which it took 23 years for Voyager to return, he was married and named himself Joe, after his wife's grandfather. And he had his holographic emitter, which allowed him to move about freely. This timeline was erased by Janeway, however, but it's reasonable to assume the Doctor's petition for personhood was granted.

Also, the holographic Las Vegas singer Vic Fontaine was sentient, although his status after Deep Space Nine is unknown.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:09 PM

WOW ep 4 addressed two of my complaints of Kurtz Trek. Stewart seemed much more like the old Picard we knew AND

HOLY SHIT a space battle with both narrative cohesion and strong Sound and special FX!!

No more of that Abrams vipvipvipvipvip that sounded no more deadly then flies.

The Romulan beams had a very strong bass quality to them. Loved it.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:45 AM

I loved the wing getting sliced off of the Bird of Prey, nice detail improvement over the simple pew pew pew boom of previous series.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:25 PM

I am guessing its shields and active defences generally were not in a good state of repair.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:11 AM

Allison Pill seems so obviously a plant (Or Oh in disguise)...im hoping there's a rwist...like the heroes being onto her the whole time.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 AM

Who else is assuming that a Giant! Twist! will be that it is
SPOILER:
not a captain and some look-alike holograms but a hologram and some look-alike holograms?
(The hidden is speculation, but could end up becoming a spoiler.)

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 02-18-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 AM

Just watched the first 4 episodes last night.

I can't be only person to make the Blade Runner comparison, can I? I was practically expecting Deckard to show up at some point.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Just watched the first 4 episodes last night.

I can't be only person to make the Blade Runner comparison, can I? I was practically expecting Deckard to show up at some point.
...Yes?
I'm not seeing it.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:54 AM

Apparently they have no spam filters in the future.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:01 PM

I noticed how everyone in Cyberpunk City, including the lounge pianist, was rigged for emergency transport to escape at short notice, but not the evil villain.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:31 PM

Also, this epidode confirms that French is really dead...
Old 02-21-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
WOW ep 4 addressed two of my complaints of Kurtz Trek. Stewart seemed much more like the old Picard we knew AND

HOLY SHIT a space battle with both narrative cohesion and strong Sound and special FX!!

No more of that Abrams vipvipvipvipvip that sounded no more deadly then flies.

The Romulan beams had a very strong bass quality to them. Loved it.
Nice to see Frakes back in the director seat. The man can still put together a.great space battle.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2020, 01:30 AM

Cool shout out to Quark on Freecloud. Looks like he's franchising now.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2020, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingbudong View Post
Hey, don't be racist--maybe "Quark" is the "Patel" of Farenginar!
Old 02-22-2020, 01:59 AM

I'm begininng to suspect I'm the only person on Earth who saw first run TOS eps and who loves this show.

There were a couple of YT presences who i respect who said they loves it at first....but they've fallen off and devolved into:

"Character assasination...too obvious...not the Feds i know" BLAHBLAHBLAH

I haven't seen a GD thing that doesn't make perfect sense to me. "7 BLAH BLAH BLAH....she ETC ETC ETC"

She was perfectly motivated.

Trying too hard
Too gory
Unnessecery cursing

Yeah, ok....doesn't bother me, but I get those complaints. But I haven't seen any major character arcs or changes that don't make sense.

IF ANNNNNNNYTHINNNNG...the pansy-ass 'Fed way' of the end of S1 DISCO or when Archer decided he had crossed a line in ENT and wouldn't do it again. THOSE are what never made sense.

DS9 (IMHO) struck the right balance. You had a lead who was willing to make and live with hard decisions and the people around him would be sounding boards.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 02-22-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingbudong View Post
And Mot's Hair Emporium as well.