Old 02-04-2020, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
After finding McDonald's, KFCs and Dairy Queens in Shanghai, I am no longer surprised to see them virtually anywhere.
Those are expensive compared to Chinese street food, though, whereas I think kayaker was pointing out that they're low-cost options in other places.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
No, I read about the whole chain, it was the idea of the CEO. Mind you, maybe they dropped that policy, who knows? But the extreme waits there are well known and remarked upon in many forums.
In Chicago I normally went to the one in Water Tower Place, and the wait was typically an hour or more. Here in KY, the closest one to me is in Lexington, much less busy but still with the wait times. I eat out once a month, and once a year that's at the Cheesecake Factory, but due to their wait times I order carryout.

Last time was a few months ago and I overheard someone being told to expect to wait at least 45 minutes because the people at the table they were waiting for had just gotten their food; that sounded weird to me but maybe it was a large party or they wanted a booth or something.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I do think their large menu contributes to the wait. With such a large menu, itís a popular place for groups because thereís something for even the pickiest eater. Plus, many of their restaurants are in tourist areas as well to help contribute to the crowds. For example, thereís just not much in the immediate area around the one in Chicago. Thereís some fairly nice dining and some fast casual. But Cheesecake Factory will meet the needs of tourists staying at a nearby hotel.

The empty tables but having to wait is a particularly sore spot of mine having worked in restaurants. Yes, there are tables open but the restaurant host canít conjure up servers with a magic wand. I know itís easy to believe a conspiracy exists to make you spend money at the bar or show how cool the restaurant is by making you wait, but thatís almost never the case. Servers are only human and staffing restaurants in a tip based culture is an art, not a science. Having 5 extra servers sitting around just in case means theyíre making $2 an hour or whatever.

As far as the food, itís fine. When I lived in Arizona, my ex bf and I would often see a movie around 6 or 7 and then pop over to the Cheesecake Factory across the street for a late dinner. We already knew ahead of time that weíd have lunch leftovers for the next day.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Cheesecake Factory is definitely better than more common major chain restaurants (Chili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden), but you definitely need to remember to pack a cooler for all the leftovers. The local one has the typical Egyptian/deco theme; it's always loud, but so is any crowded restaurant (to me, anyway). The addition of ads to the menu was a cheap and tacky move, but there are still more than enough options...I guess they have to pay for all of those supplies somehow.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:21 PM

I find the menu pretentious, but it's a good place to take your Mom
Old 02-07-2020, 06:06 PM

We LOVE the place, they make stuff far beyond our capabilities. $8 a slice for cheesecake is a lot, but I can't ever resist taking a piece out of the case - to go. If my mom was still alive she would be in heaven.

Last edited by salinqmind; 02-07-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
As a rule of thumb, I steer clear of restaurants whose names include things like "factory," "warehouse," or "abattoir."
This reminds me of one of my favorite throwaway gags on The Simpsons: a reference to a restaurant called "The Texas Cheesecake Depository."
Old 02-07-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
I find the menu pretentious, but it's a good place to take your Mom
Do you have the same meaning for pretentious as the rest of us do? It looks like a bunch of Sysco stuff to me (I say that having never eaten there).
Old 02-07-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Do you have the same meaning for pretentious as the rest of us do? It looks like a bunch of Sysco stuff to me (I say that having never eaten there).
Pretentious as in overwrought, all those pages, just put in all on one large sheet or condense into a 4 page menu.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:17 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Cheesecake Factory is the place where there's like 2 or 3 different types of bread in the bread basket, right?
Yes, and it's quite good. There was a dark bread that was really tasty, but I don't know what kind it was. I'm not much of a bread connoisseur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
We LOVE the place, they make stuff far beyond our capabilities. $8 a slice for cheesecake is a lot, but I can't ever resist taking a piece out of the case - to go. If my mom was still alive she would be in heaven.
I guess it's all relative. That's dirt cheap for Hawaii.

As for long waits, the Factory was packed with no empty tables. There was a pretty large crowd waiting to get inside, but it took us only ten minutes to get our table.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

It's been a long time since I ate at a CF but I liked it. But the nearest one to me is about seventy miles away, more's the pity.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:20 AM

Count me as one that hates the behemoth of a menu - if it doesn't fit on a single oversize sheet, with decent-sized font, your menu is too big.

As to the mandatory wait - from a business perspective, it's makes no sense. That's tables sitting empty when they could be making sales, and guests leaving to find somewhere else that doesn't require parking it before even getting a table. From a customer service standpoint, it's almost as dumb. People that have to wait for a table are less patient and forgiving, in general, of any delays from that point forward.

Wait times are used for two reasons - you don't have tables, or you don't have servers. If you don't have tables, that's self-explanatory. If you don't have the servers: your employees can only handle so many tables and guests at a time. That number varies for each server, but there IS a finite limit. Passing that upper bound is, as Beckdawreck would say, "bad, bad, bad". Customer service becomes non-existent for all but the best waitstaff, and that, again, leads to upset customers.

Given the layout of every CF I've been to, I'd guess that the shorter waits (<5 minutes), were solely so the host could make sure the table they're planning to seat you at is actually available and clean. It's POSSIBLE it could be a corporate policy to "improve" the desirability of the brand, but to do so at the REAL cost of lost business seems...suboptimal.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
As a rule of thumb, I steer clear of restaurants whose names include things like "factory," "warehouse," or "abattoir."
There's a bar and grill in the area named The Hog Trough. It's right at the bottom of my list of places to try.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
There's a bar and grill in the area named The Hog Trough. It's right at the bottom of my list of places to try.
There's a restaurant out here by the horse track named Trotters. At the bottom of my list to try, too.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
There's a restaurant out here by the horse track named Trotters. At the bottom of my list to try, too.
Well then, I'm guessing if you folks are ever in Honolulu, you'll pass on by the Itchy Butt.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
The first thing we thought of was the Waikiki location looks a helluva lot fancier than the one Penny worked at in The Big Bang Theory. That one looked pretty dull.
The one on television had nothing in common with the real chain. Not the decor, the menu, the uniforms, anything. People say it's product placement, but I can't imagine why the company would pay to have this cheap imitation represent them. My belief is they used the name just so they could make fun of Leonard's lactose intolerance.

I also don't believe they ever make people wait if there are clean, available tables. I've certainly been seated right away and I only go there occasionally. My belief, again, is that such a huge restaurant has trouble cleaning tables after parties leave, leading to the impression that tables are open even when they're not.

My beliefs, apparently, tend to assume that people who say stupid things on the internet are stupid. I find me hard to dispute.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

I can see the exclusivity thing maybe working for a trendy nightclub or else one that’s trying to be trendy.

But having worked in restaurants, including as a host, I can’t see any restaurant pulling that. First of all, the servers make their money from tips. So, they want their section as full as they can handle.

I know there’s a conspiracy theory they make you wait so you’ll order something at the bar. That’s complete rubbish. The bartender wants to make tip money as well and she’s not making it when people are sitting their drinking cokes. In many restaurants, the bar area isn’t 21+ so you may even have kids sitting at the bar.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post

I also don't believe they ever make people wait if there are clean, available tables. ....
I have been there on two occasions when there were. Some time ago, sure.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

From watching some of those restaurant makeover shows, the restaurant doesn't want to seat too many people at once, so the wait staff isn't trying to take orders from too many tables at the same time and also so the kitchen isn't overwhelmed with orders. I don't know if that's what Cheesecake Factory is doing but it might explain why some restaurant do things.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
The calorie counts at CF are high because the portions are very large - I always take half of it home in a takeout container. I don't consider that a bad thing.
This is a feature for some people. I lose weight on 3000-3500 calories per day and practice intermittent fasting generally. So, if I go out to eat I'd rather get most of my daily calories in one sitting.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:45 PM

remember to the natives, in the beginning, at least McDonald's and dairy queen were exotic places as they probably been eating the local fare you're so in love with for centuries ...
Old 02-14-2020, 11:40 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
remember to the natives, in the beginning, at least McDonald's and dairy queen were exotic places as they probably been eating the local fare you're so in love with for centuries ...
This reminds me of Denny's first foray into Thailand, back in the '90s. They tried to go upscale, with a fancy wine case and everything. Didn't last long.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have been there on two occasions when there were. Some time ago, sure.
The key word is "available." Maybe they were short staffed after a shift change or some of the wait staff went home sick. There could be many explanations more plausible than deliberately keeping from making money off you.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The key word is "available." Maybe they were short staffed after a shift change or some of the wait staff went home sick. There could be many explanations more plausible than deliberately keeping from making money off you.
Sure, and if the CEO or someone pipes up in here and says they changed the policy he gave many years ago, I will believe it. But he specifically said that was his policy and that it make his restaurant look more "exclusive" to make people wait.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
This reminds me of Denny's first foray into Thailand, back in the '90s. They tried to go upscale, with a fancy wine case and everything. Didn't last long.
Denny's. Wine.

NOPE!

Denny's. Fancy.

NOPE!

Some words simply cannot be paired.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:23 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Denny's. Wine.

NOPE!

Denny's. Fancy.

NOPE!

Some words simply cannot be paired.
Well, the locals have no idea. It's like Payless Shoes. They entered Thailand a few years ago and marketed themselves as an upscale shoe store. I kept telling Thais that in the US, that's where the poor people go for their shoes, but I got dubious looks, particularly from the Business Editor at the Bangkok Post who was tasked with putting out promotional stories for the chain. Dunno if they're still there, as I've heard Payless has been having a lot of financial problems. They left Hawaii completely last year.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sure, and if the CEO or someone pipes up in here and says they changed the policy he gave many years ago, I will believe it. But he specifically said that was his policy and that it make his restaurant look more "exclusive" to make people wait.
Strange that you didn't mention that before.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Strange that you didn't mention that before.
I did.