Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 AM

Trying to make sense of this Rebecca Black thing...

...and not having a whole lot of success. Still, whenever I run into a truly baffling mystery, I can be very persistent in my attempts to unravel it (see also: Mike Tyson and Tiger Woods; how much fracking debt do they gotta rack up before you start demanding cash in full?). So here goes.

Okay, quick summary...vanity project, parents put $4,000 into it, eventually uploaded to YouTube, snark, criticism, hatred hatred hatred, death threats, meme, Most Talked About Songs On YouTube list, downloads, has her own YouTube page now, working on a new song and might make it a career.

Huh...where to even begin? All right, one level at a time:

Issue 1: It's a lame, pathetic, worthless, crappy, insipid song!
Yeah. Agreed. Totally. Uh huh. Fer sure. Yeah. And? Seriously, and? You're telling me you've never a heard a bland, forgettable pop song before? You've never heard someone use Autotune? You've never heard words repeated? Ever? Were you born on the space station or something? I've FORGOTTEN at least a hundred songs far, far worse than this. I have the EMF album which I spent my own money on, dammit. "Pop star releases empty fluff" is like "movie star sleeps with woman who's not his wife". Add the right factors, and it might be worthy of mild outrage. By itself, it's nothing.

My god, there's someone on the YouTube site who said "Rebecca showed me that you don't need talent to be famous. Guess you learn something new everyday." Are we talking Tea Party material or what?

Issue 2: She sucks and has no talent and relies on Autotune too much and oh yeah sucks!
All right, aside from the fact that she was 13 at the time and this is the first song she released ever, so expecting her to be the next world-changing megastar is a bit unreasonable (repeat after me: Michael Jackson was a fluke. Michael Jackson was a fluke.)...well, not to burst anyone's brain stems, but when does this become objectionable? When the singer in question gets undeserved fame and fortune, of course. Completely justifiable with the Spice Girls, appropriate for Paris Hilton, and understandable for Justin Bieber, who has all kinds of merchandise despite his musical relevance being a notch above Reuben Studdard's.

Friday was a vanity project her parents paid for and put on a website. No 8-figure contract. No whirlwind 15-city tour. No two-hour CNN expose. No guest spot on American Ninja Warrior. She doesn't even have an album for crying out loud! (Unlike EMF!) As far as I can tell, the video elevated her from a random nobody to a random nobody who gets talked about a lot on one specific website. Even William Hung was bigger than that. Hey, do you the term I use for a singer with no record deal, concert schedule, or marketing? AMATEUR. If you expect Grammy-caliber material from a flippin' amateur, well, she's not the one I'd call a loser, if you know what I mean.

Oh, but she is pulling in some cash (which she should be thrilled with; I certainly would be). Something like $25,000 a week from downloads. A nice profit, to be sure, but hardly Michael Jackson territory. Plus she's only making what her fans think she should be getting, as evidenced by how many of them are willing to pay for her song. I've had walks to the park that were more worthy of outrage than this.

Issue 3: I hate this song so much, I'm going to make a parody of it! That'll show her!
Um...seriously, what? Hey, remember how every song Weird Al Yankovic ever parodied fell off the face of the planet and was never heard again? Me neither. He did parodies to boost his own career, not take down others. Because that doesn't work. Everyone in the industry knows that bad publicity is still publicity. And violent hatred still means that you're paying attention and spreading the word to others. Look at William Hung. If his detractors just said "This kid's no good" and left it at that, he wouldn't done exactly what they wanted, faded into obscurity. Instead, we got 50-page dissertations about how, when, and why he sucked, flame wars, parody videos, the whole package, and as a result his career lasted about 200 times as long as it should have. This wasn't that long ago, folks!

So, in summary: Hate the song, fine. Think her 15 minutes will be up soon, naive but understandable. Hate her, don't really see the point. Think YouTube is a haven for brilliant, professional-quality music, dumb. Think there's anything shocking about a no-talent pop star having some success, super-dumb. Feel savage, violent, blood-curdling hatred, Bizarro world.

Phew...anyway, discussion?

Last edited by DKW; 08-26-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 AM

If she's that bad, just ignore her until she goes away. That's how I got rid of that Mubarak fellow.

But yeah, I'm puzzled by the rabid hatred folks have for Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber. I'm fond of pointing out that the only reason that Rebecca Black is so famous is because people who claim to dislike her can't. stop. talking about her. Everywhere. The only reason I'm aware that Justin Bieber exists is because people couldn't help but complain about him all the time. I still haven't heard more than 10 seconds of any of his music (not counting his rap battle versus Ludwig Von Beethoven, of course.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:09 AM

I don't really think that too many people actually hate her all that much. It's better if you think of Rebecca Black hatedom as a meme.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Okay, now defend Jedward.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 AM

Rebecca Black is the logical conclusion to the microwave-button-instant-stardom-burn-out-or-dead-at-27 craptastic artists and music prevalent in the world today.

What's next? Some preteen farting through cotton panties backed with a Dr. Dre booty bass beat?

The line of no-talent assclowns with disposable cash stretches out the door. Rebecca was last in line, just after last year's American Idol rejects.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM

I just thought the song was funny as fuck. The video was hillarious as well.. I played the shit at work just to crack people up.. tortured my kids with it when I picked them up from school..Never put that much thought into it..

The dude rapping on the song was EPIC!! I think the Black family played a lot of this shit up for publicity as well they should have. BTW RustyCage has some nice stuff on Youtube..
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

It's not a horrible song -- it's a canned one. The practice probably dates back to the beginning of recordings -- people would write music, you'd add lyrics and then pay to sing it. It would impress your relatives.

The only difference is that now it's a video and put up on Youtube. It would have been promptly forgotten except the someone decided to call this the worst song ever, and the video went viral.

There are far worse out there and it's stupid to hate the poor girl for being one of the very few who fell for this semi-scam and managed to get noticed for it.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Okay, now defend Jedward.
Them's fighting words. I can have 20,000 Jedtards (not sure if that's the word) signing up here to make your life a living hell in just a couple of tweets.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I don't hate Rebecca Black. I find her annoying, but that's not her fault. I'm sure she didn't plan to have the overnight fame she ended up with when she made a record to share with her friends. She's not a very good singer and the song is insipid...but *damn* that thing's catchy. It gets stuck in my head and I can't get rid of it. Fortunately her new one doesn't share the same trait (even when a couple of my WoW raid team members can't shut up about it!). I expect she'll be a footnote in a year, just like all the other YouTube sensations out there.

Now Justin Bieber is another story. Every time I see his smirky "I'm cool and I know it and you're not" face I want to punch it. Or put a bag over it. I'm not sure which. He's *way* more annoying to me than Rebecca Black.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:31 AM

But what about this?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 PM

As far as Bieber goes, it kind of helps if you think of him in the role of baby lesbian Ellen-Degeneres-stalker, Single White Female style.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:11 PM

I have no idea who she is, but she's pulling in 25,000 a week on a 4,000 investment? Damn how do I do that.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinor01 View Post
I have no idea who she is, but she's pulling in 25,000 a week on a 4,000 investment? Damn how do I do that.
How does that even work? How do you get paid for youtube views?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
If you get enough hits, you get some ad revenue.

As for this Rebecca Black thing, this is the first I've heard about it in probably a couple months, I figured her 15 minutes were already over. As for the actual phenomenon, or whatever it is, it's a combination of a few things. First, I think there was a lot of hype by her parents and relatives around it that made people think it was bigger than it was which made people react to it as if it was bigger than it was, which actually made it become bigger.

Second, there's nothing particularly special about her. Her talent is mediocre at best, she's not especially cute, she doesn't demonstrate any dance ability, etc. So, to some people this probably comes across as "look anyone can do it, maybe I can too" and they get inspired and do something. To others, it comes across that anyone try to do it and she did, and they hate it all the more because of how much they dislike the result. Either of those makes for people being interested.

Third, it really is awful, musically and lyrically, even by pop music standards, but that's sort of the point, it's still kind of catchy, and the trite awfulness of the lyrics makes it quotable. It's this catchiness and quotability that help to propogate the song into social consciousness. And, of course, hatred actually gets you more views than people liking it, so it makes it even more popular because they're actively talking about how much they hate it, getting people interested in seeing how bad it is, and getting multiple views so they can trash it and vote it down.

Either way, she'll make her quick bucks, but all the interest will be lacking when she releases a second song because the interest of the first one won't carry her forever, and she'll have to have talent, hotness, dancing, scandal, something to keep attention on her and it won't be there. She'll be utterly forgotten in a year.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster Master View Post

Either way, she'll make her quick bucks, but all the interest will be lacking when she releases a second song because the interest of the first one won't carry her forever, and she'll have to have talent, hotness, dancing, scandal, something to keep attention on her and it won't be there. She'll be utterly forgotten in a year.
She's already released a second song. It's called "My Moment." It's not anywhere near as catchy or insipid as "Friday"--just your typical bland, boring pop song. I suspect you're right, except that it won't take a year before she's forgotten.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 PM

She's a very bankable meme.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
43,000 iTunes downloads & a Glee cover for a start
Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Phew...anyway, discussion?
The discussion is centering around Rebecca Black, but that's not the issue. The issue is, why so much hate?

Something kind of fun and kind of profitable happened for her. She didn't deserve it? Meh, everyone deserves good luck, no-one does.

She's taking something from 'real artist'? Spare me. Real art, like virtue, is it's own reward. Meaningless pop is always more profitable.

There is just no reason to be so vicious about this little girl.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 PM

I'm not sure if you're overthinking or underthinking this, but I think it's pretty easy to understand the Black hatred (err...).

"Friday" is the worst song most people have ever heard with that level of production and obvious money spend on it.

That's all there is to it. It's not lousy like a Black Eyed Peas filler track lousy. Or lousy like a 13-year-old with Garage Band and a cheap mic on Youtube lousy. It's lousy in a "how is it even possible that this exists?" way. It is to pop music what "The Room" is to film. It transcends "bad" to become "fascinating."

The hubbub and death threats and blah blah blah are all just the random accretion that surrounds anything "viral" nowadays. People always get upset when somebody "cheats" their way to the top.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yookeroo View Post
43,000 iTunes downloads & a Glee cover for a start
I was going to say that Rebecca Black is not going to profit off of any covers of this song since she is not the writer or publisher. She may own the video (apparently there may be some dispute over this), but not the song.

But then I looked in the ASCAP data base and much to my surprise I see the following listed under "writers":
BLACK REBECCA
JEYARETNAM CLARENCE RANJITH
WILSON ITEKE PATRICE

Patrice Wilson is the owner of Ark Music Factory (the vanity recording studio) who has claimed credit for writing the song. Jeyaretnam (a.k.a. "Clarence Jey") is the producer of the video.

I would be interested to know if anyone could explain how Rebecca Black came to be credited for writing the song.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Youtube Partner Program.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
"Friday" is the worst song most people have ever heard with that level of production and obvious money spend on it.
Yeah, it's bad, but don't discount the complete lack of production values. Shitty songs have cost more. Look at "MacArthur Park."

Last edited by dropzone; 08-26-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Yeah, it's bad, but don't discount the complete lack of production values. Shitty songs have cost more. Look at "MacArthur Park."
I don't think MacArthur park is in the same ballpark of bad. It's overwrought nonsense. Friday literally sounds like somebody reading a slightly mistranslated children's primer about the days of the week.

The production values in Friday aren't so much "lacking" as "bad." It's overproduced in a stunningly silly way.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:35 PM

Ark Music factory has dozens of videos from its current and former clients up on youtube. The most recent: Lexi St. George -- "Dancing to the Rhythm"

You could make the same criticisms about all of them. So what was it about the Friday video that caught the public's attention that the previous and subsequent videos lacked?
Old 08-27-2011, 12:01 AM
BANNED

I had never heard of her before this thread, so I Googled up the video. It's pretty lame, especially the lyrics, but it's not William Hung bad, it's just really amateurish. I'm assuming a lot of the viral nature if the video is ironic? People making fun of it?

I see that her Wiki page says she had to leave her school because of harassment and bullying she started receiving after the video took off. She even got death threats, apparently.

If I had to guess at the reason for the hatred, it's probably just envy. She got something for very little. It's easy to accept that if a person has some kind of obvious talent, but if they're completely ordinary, it's harder to take. People feel like it could have just as easily been them.

None of that is an excuse for the harassment, though.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 AM

Previous thread from back in March.

And another thread, from May.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 AM

It's shit. As if most of pop music isn't shit. Those of you (William) hung up on it, give it a rest and go back to sleep. There have been FAR crappier hits. Ask your parents and grandparents, though we will deny spending our paperboy earnings on that shit.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

I was at best slightly aware of the "Friday" thing before this thread, so I checked YouTube, watched a parody version that was so damn funny that I don't want to watch the original now because it'll be a letdown, I'm sure.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 AM

It is. Avoid it.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:41 AM

If you lived through the 70's, you will know there is much worse than Friday. It's a pop song, by a kinda cute fresh-faced girl. It's Friday, Friday, gotta down on Friday........
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Ark Music factory has dozens of videos from its current and former clients up on youtube. The most recent: Lexi St. George -- "Dancing to the Rhythm"

You could make the same criticisms about all of them. So what was it about the Friday video that caught the public's attention that the previous and subsequent videos lacked?
The song Butterflies is decent, although the vox could be improved. I could imagine if it was rerecorded it could be a hit, even maybe for a country artist.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
DKW:
Michael Jackson was a fluke. Michael Jackson was a fluke.
Perhaps all pop success (or even all mega-success in general) is a fluke to some extent, but Michael Jackson is one of the worst possible examples of this that you could choose. Not only was Michael's success the product of relentless training and promotion, from an early age (by his father), I think it is clear that he also had an immense innate talent (not particularly shared by his similarly trained siblings) as a singer. I am not, actually, a huge fan of his music (I find most of he actual songs uninteresting), but anyone who make an otherwise cliched song about a pet rat genuinely moving is, IMHO, a vocalist of real genius.

Jackson's case is about as far away from Black's as you could get.

Last edited by njtt; 08-27-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:

That's all there is to it. It's not lousy like a Black Eyed Peas filler track lousy.
I'm not convinced "Friday" is worse than "My Humps", which was an international top ten hit.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:38 AM

Re: Justin Bieber - have you ever encountered Gordon Pinsent reading from Justin Bieber's biography? [/hijack]
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I'm not convinced "Friday" is worse than "My Humps", which was an international top ten hit.
It is. My Humps is exactly what it intends to be: vapid and earwormy. It's pop pablum with intentionally goofy lyrics that caught on like crazy. Fergie probably wanted you to hate it.

"Friday" includes a line about eating cereal. Which doesn't rhyme with anything.

Last edited by typoink; 08-27-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Maybe it's meant to be ethereal.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Maybe it's meant to be ethereal.
Or just one more required step in her day, showing that life is serial in nature.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
I would be interested to know if anyone could explain how Rebecca Black came to be credited for writing the song.
She paid them to do the song and video making each a work for hire. In a standard recording contract, the record company would own the master recording. And copyright for songs is automatically attributed to the author.

And RB Rebecca Black is in Katy Perry's latest video extending her 15 minutes. If reality stars can stay relevant as long as they have, I don't see any reason RB Rebecca Black can't do the same.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
It is. My Humps is exactly what it intends to be: vapid and earwormy.
And you think "Friday" was intended to be what, a deeply moving glimpse into the hidden depths of the human soul? I doubt anyone involved failed to notice that it was a stupid song about being excited about the weekend.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And you think "Friday" was intended to be what, a deeply moving glimpse into the hidden depths of the human soul? I doubt anyone involved failed to notice that it was a stupid song about being excited about the weekend.
Personally, I was watchin' to see what she would do.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Obviously, "Which Seat Should I Take?" alluded to the pressures that today's youth have to make decisions about life and friends, often without the help of their parents who are too busy working to give their kids the kind of guidance they need.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Nice. (Little surprised, honestly, that no one's ragging me for buying the EMF album. Granted, it was 1 cent plus shipping on Amazon, but c'mon, EMF.) Going down the list:

Raguleader - Bieber has something like three albums (not including remixes) and a concert schedule that isn't getting any hype. So he's definitely a minor leaguer (I mentioned this in the thread I started about him). But even that's far more than Black has done so far. The hatred for him may be overblown, but at least you can see where it's coming from.

ministryman - I see where you're coming from, but question: Do you honestly believe this is a recent phenomenon? During the disco era, there were scores of flashes in the pan who cashed in on a craze and then faded out of existence, and then MTV practically invented the term "one hit wonder". If Internet makes this easier, why haven't there been more "success" stories like Black?

monkeylucifer - Uh...that's not how a Rickroll works. You're supposed to claim it's something other than Rick Astley (traditionally explicit or underage sex, but it can be anything, really). Just saying "Hey, look at this thing!" doesn't count. No, no need to thank me, that's what this board is for.

Blaster Master - Ah. I get it. Family builds up hype, a few viewers bite on it, then in turn a bunch more viewers bite on it, and it goes viral, and it just snowballs from there. Very similar to the William Hung case, actually. It's important to note that while the Internet era makes it easier for no-talents to hit it big, there still has to be customers willing to swallow it hook, line, and sinker. Someone willingly paid for those four Hung albums. If they didn't want to waste money on a no-talent bum, they were perfectly free to do so.

As for My Moment, yeah, totally generic, but her voice actually has improved. A lot. That's what happens when you're actually trying.

typoink - I could understand that if this was a commercial release, as in, something these armchair critics PAID for. They didn't. Indifference, bewilderment, maybe even disappointment, justifiable. Rabid hatred, no. And the ones who did shell out on ITunes knew exactly what they were getting. A calm discussion about vanity projects and Black's musical prospects would've been nice (not unlike a calm discussion about the not-Ground Zero not-mosque).

Tangent - Thanks for the links (I knew about the first one but never caught the second), but I wasn't trying to make another thread saying "Wow, this really sucks! / There sure are a lot of parodies!". I know that. (P.S. "Like to dislike ratio" has about as much credence as the stupid judges on America's Got Talent, especially when you factor in the YouTube mob mentality.)

njtt - Not going to argue this. I was shooting for "game-changing megastar", no more, no less. Substitute The Beatles or Madonna or Shania Twain if you like.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Nice. (Little surprised, honestly, that no one's ragging me for buying the EMF album. Granted, it was 1 cent plus shipping on Amazon, but c'mon, EMF.)
Well, I liked Unbelievable. It's the only song of theirs I've ever heard, but I DID like it.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Well, I liked Unbelievable. It's the only song of theirs I've ever heard, but I DID like it.
I had the cassingle.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I had the cassingle.
Wow...so did I, now that you mention it.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Raguleader - Bieber has something like three albums (not including remixes) and a concert schedule that isn't getting any hype. So he's definitely a minor leaguer (I mentioned this in the thread I started about him). But even that's far more than Black has done so far. The hatred for him may be overblown, but at least you can see where it's coming from.
I'm not sure I'd call Bieber a minor leaguer, but he definitely hasn't "crossed over" the way the rest of the world's biggest musicians have. Bieber is basically stuck on teenybopper radio and YouTube, so most of the world has never heard "Baby."

Contrast with Adele, whose "Rolling in the Deep" is EVERYWHERE.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
typoink - I could understand that if this was a commercial release, as in, something these armchair critics PAID for. They didn't. Indifference, bewilderment, maybe even disappointment, justifiable. Rabid hatred, no. And the ones who did shell out on ITunes knew exactly what they were getting. A calm discussion about vanity projects and Black's musical prospects would've been nice (not unlike a calm discussion about the not-Ground Zero not-mosque).
Oh, they're ludicrously overreacting, but that's just MkI Standard Issue Internet, right there.

Everything that ironically "goes viral" seems to elicit a bunch of bile, for myriad reasons. People love trollin'. People love spraying vindictive rants. People get jealous.

I don't think Rebecca Black has seen much more hate or mockery than most other ecelebrities, but in her case I think it's harsher because there's no counterpoint. It's hard to think of anything positive to say about Friday. You can barely even give it the usual "at least she's working hard and creating something!" because it's apparent that the whole production was basically purchased by upper-middle-class parents as a gift for their snowflake.

It's not her fault, but.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I have yet to see/hear Rebecca Black in any form and wouldn't recognize her if she passed me by on the street. I only know her from people talking about her, usually in a derogatory manner, so needless to say I agree with the OP. What's the point of ragging on someone when it's not their fault they got famous? I will take issue with a couple of the OP's points though.

Quote:
Hey, do you the term I use for a singer with no record deal, concert schedule, or marketing? AMATEUR.
This may apply to Rebecca Black, but there are plenty of brilliant, world-class artists on YouTube with no record deal, concert schedule or marketing who are most definitely NOT Amateurs.
Quote:
Think YouTube is a haven for brilliant, professional-quality music, dumb.
This may not apply to Rebecca Black but there's plenty of brilliant, professional-quality music on YouTube, from people with no record deals, concert schedules or marketing, made by artists who find YouTube a haven to share their music.

Last edited by Equipoise; 08-28-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
...but there are plenty of brilliant, world-class artists on YouTube with no record deal, concert schedule or marketing who are most definitely NOT Amateurs.
Well, by one definition of the word, they are indeed amateurs if they are not making money through their music.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Well, by one definition of the word, they are indeed amateurs if they are not making money through their music.
Who said they weren't making money from their music? You can have no record deal, concert schedule or marketing and still make money via CD Baby, amazon, and other outlets.