Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguleader View Post
Obviously, "Which Seat Should I Take?" alluded to the pressures that today's youth have to make decisions about life and friends, often without the help of their parents who are too busy working to give their kids the kind of guidance they need.
It's also a wry commentary on the lack of choice that today's kids have. If you notice when the automobile arrives, a four-seater, all four seats are taken. She can't very well sit between the driver and the shotgun, so she must squeeze in the back. Thank you Obama
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
It's also a wry commentary on the lack of choice that today's kids have. If you notice when the automobile arrives, a four-seater, all four seats are taken. She can't very well sit between the driver and the shotgun, so she must squeeze in the back. Thank you Obama
I believe you are misapplying the blame. It's obvious that the responsibility for her lack of choices is due to the irresponsible decisions made by the automotive industry (hence, a car representing her lack of choice).
Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 AM

I may as well admit it, I heard the song so many times that I actually started to like it.

I genuinely like "Friday". It isn't high art, but it is fun. There are way, way, way worse songs out there.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Nice. (Little surprised, honestly, that no one's ragging me for buying the EMF album. Granted, it was 1 cent plus shipping on Amazon, but c'mon, EMF.)

ministryman - I see where you're coming from, but question: Do you honestly believe this is a recent phenomenon? During the disco era, there were scores of flashes in the pan who cashed in on a craze and then faded out of existence, and then MTV practically invented the term "one hit wonder". If Internet makes this easier, why haven't there been more "success" stories like Black?
Good question...

Perhaps it's the sheer number of wannabees that post videos to Youtube; you can only watch so much before your ears get tired.

I think that you will see more people head over to the Ark Factory to roll the dice. The four grand RB's parents spent was, in retrospect, a good investment.

And it flies in the face of the old joke:

What did you do with the money?
What money?
The money your parents gave you for singing lessons.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Need to get back to own goddanged threads a little quicker. Anywheres...

I didn't mean to insult any of the legitimate recording artists who are using YouTube as a vehicle or simply a way to get their foot in the door. Yes, I've read the stories about the wretched excesses of the RIAA; yes, I've seen official channels for several established pros (very good ones, too). Nontheless, YouTube is, at heart, a populist site (I know some megacorps are attempting to turn it into another soulless cash machine, but they're fighting a 16-headed hydra here), where shakycam home videos rub shoulders with cheesy Mexican movie trailers. If this is ALL ya got, I ain't payin' retail for your next album, is all I'm saying.

Y'know what, maybe that's what's causing all the confusion here. The viewers see something that looks like an MTV music video, so they judge it like an actual production, not the overpriced on-a-lark project it is. You have this site that has legit music videos (most of them holdovers from the MTV era), and it's simply impossible to convince this crowd that this isn't one of them. (And then the nail in the coffin arrives in the form of approximately 75,000 misguided parodies, every single one of them missing the point that it's only worth parodying if it's big and successful. There's a reason Weird Al Yankovic passed on this, guys.)

So in conclusion, the lesson is that the Internet can get really, really stupid at times. No surprise there, I guess.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Can I hijack this thread to ask a question.

In the video, are the other kids Rebecca Blacks actual friends, or just extras?

I would assume in a video they would cast extras, but the kids just look so bloody awkward, especially the two trying to dance standing on the back seat of the car. Surely they wouldn't cast such goofy looking people, are they her real friends?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I have yet to see/hear Rebecca Black in any form and wouldn't recognize her if she passed me by on the street. I only know her from people talking about her, usually in a derogatory manner, so needless to say I agree with the OP. What's the point of ragging on someone when it's not their fault they got famous?
The point, though, is that it's a meme. The meme isn't "Rebecca Black". The meme is "Rebecca Black sucks". You never had one without the other -- Rebecca Black was nothing and then she was epic suck, that's it. This wasn't a response to a popular thing -- it was just a shitty thing that people loved to hate, so much so became incredibly popular because of how much people mocked it.

Why her? Why "Friday"? Granted it sucks, and is ridiculous, and has a lot of weak areas that are fun and easy to mock. Beyond that, though? If you could figure out how to make a meme stick, you'd be a gazillionaire. It just takes hold in certain areas of the internet, e.g. 4chan, and then people start posting it and reposting it, and it just catches on. It just takes one guy to link to a video on one of these big meme-generating imageboards and communities. Granted, tens of thousands of things get posted that never get up to meme status, and of popular memes, very few actually make it to public consciousness. 99.999% of attempted memes are unfunny and shit themselves; once in awhile something sticks, and the Internet basically decided it was fun to make fun of Rebecca Black.

(Don't feel bad for her. She's raking it in.)
Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 AM

Sorry. I will feel bad for anyone who had to leave school for bullying, no matter how much money they make. When a meme crosses the lines into death threats in real life, it's not just a meme anymore. If I had her money, I'd be doing the exact same thing she is: making songs to point out that everyone who wants me dead is actually helping my career. It's win-win: either that will upset them and get you more money, or they will understand it and stop, meaning you will be treated better.

buck: Yes, those are Black's friends. She specifically got them to be extras in it. This is actually one of the best indications that she wasn't really serious about this. This was just a vanity project.

That's not to say that she didn't want to become a pop singer. The ad was specifically stated that it might help you become the next pop star, and she is upfront about wanting to be one when she grew up. In fact, the reason the video was released on YouTube was that the company thought she stood the most chance of becoming popular. From what I can tell, Black herself did not expect the video to be published at first, and just wanted it as part of her resume, while also a fun thing for her and her friends. But when the company offered to make it public, claiming that she might be an Internet sensation, what aspiring singer in their right mind wouldn't go for it?

Finally, my own opinion is that the video is amazingly good--for what was spent on it. In fact, that's the problem. It's too good for people to take it to be an amateur production, but too bad to be accepted as even bad pop. What's annoying to me is that it wouldn't have taken much to make it qualify as pop: just better use of Auto-Tune and telling Black to sing more naturally, and not in her nasal approximation of a pop voice. (She is a good enough singer for pop when she's not trying to be.) If she was the good part of the video, I think people would have been more forgiving.

BTW, my real favorite part is that the way people are treating her means that the famous musicians and actors feel sorry for her. If she was famous for actually singing good pop, she wouldn't get anywhere near the stuff she's getting.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:28 AM

I find it funny the OP was posted on a Friday. Wait a second. I am replying on a Friday I mean really. Is she really any worse than any other pop singer? The hate of someone I don't even know who has not committed an atrocious act against another is not worth the energy IMHO.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:20 AM

I haven't seen her or heard her, AFAIK.

Is she the same chick there was a thread about a few weeks back on how she married some washed up country singer 3 times her age? And how she looked 35? If so, I guess I have seen her.

It would help me to judge her better if there were naked pics of her somewhere.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
It would help me to judge her better if there were naked pics of her somewhere.
She's fourteen.

[/wet towel].

Last edited by Raguleader; 09-09-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Is she the same chick there was a thread about a few weeks back on how she married some washed up country singer 3 times her age? And how she looked 35? If so, I guess I have seen her.
No, different girl.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Nine years later and Rebecca finally speaks out:

https://twitter.com/MsRebeccaBlack/s...524273664?s=20

Rereading this and other Rebecca Black threads and it's not one our better moments.

Last edited by JohnT; 02-11-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Nine years later and Rebecca finally speaks out:

https://twitter.com/MsRebeccaBlack/s...524273664?s=20

Rereading this and other Rebecca Black threads and it's not one our better moments.
Not one of her better moments, either. If she'd just let it go, no one would remember. I certainly forgot her and that INSIPID SONG.

But now she's "Remember me? I made that song you all hated so much, in case you forgot. Hi!" Why bring it up again?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:53 PM

She canít let it go, she wants us to remember her before she releases her comeback single Black is Back.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
But now she's "Remember me? I made that song you all hated so much, in case you forgot. Hi!" Why bring it up again?
Yeah, why inform people that maybe bullying a thirteen year old has some sort of lasting consequences by using her own experiences as an illustration. What an egotistical selfish monster.

Last edited by Jophiel; 02-11-2020 at 08:12 PM.