Old 05-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Would the Swiss have actually accepted tons of obviously hot gold from private belligerent combatants?
This is the Swiss we are talking about here. They would have been whisked away to a hotel outside Zurich, provided with false papers, and treated like kings.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
"Get up angel, you look like a Pekingese." Dorothy Malone as the clerk in the bookstore did it for me.

I consider The Big Sleep to be almost a proto-James Bond film. Just about every woman in that movie threw herself at Marlowe.
Yes, you've got to love the hot nerdy chick that is truly HOT! BTW==as I recall now that film had a bunch of great one-liners in it as well; Bogey was at his most smartass as I recall. Too bad so many members of this current generation just would not even give this film a chance because it's in black and white.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottius Maximus View Post
Sledge Hammer: So what really happened after the bomb destroyed the city?
I think Sledge ought to appear in an episode of Psych.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, you've got to love the hot nerdy chick that is truly HOT! BTW==as I recall now that film had a bunch of great one-liners in it as well; Bogey was at his most smartass as I recall. Too bad so many members of this current generation just would not even give this film a chance because it's in black and white.
"She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up." I'm still trying to find an occasion to use that line.

Like I said, I realized how good it was when I didn't care about the plot; the characters and the dialog are just off-the-chart brilliant. I feel the same about the Ocean's 11 remake. It doesn't matter if they get the money or not, it's just so damn much fun watching them try.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM

nm

Last edited by terentii; 05-26-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
In the pilot, the whole underground operation was enormous room after room, scores of people. And it was commercial as well as strategic, e.g., in one room, a half-dozen employees were manufacturing fake war souvenirs (Nazi flags, lugers, etc.).

But no, they never explained how it was built.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX4fSzPHNYI
Old 05-26-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
From what we saw in the last episodes of the show, it looked like what aired on the in-universe PBS station must have been a much shorter series than what's aired in on real-world NBC. (I'm not even certain it was an in-universe series and not just one documentary movie.) Events that happened recently, like Oscar's affair with Angela's husband, were apparently revealed pretty early in the documentary's run, and it seemed like everything had already been broadcast by the time of the series finale, which was set six months after the previous episode.

What we saw was perhaps a "director's cut" version that had to be edited down for broadcast in-universe.
It was a year later, not 6 months, and they were filming extras for the 5 disc DVD release, so clearly a series and not a movie (also it had previously been made clear it was a series, back when they first had someone see an ad for it earlier in the year)

What we saw couldn't be raw footage, since it's clearly been fully edited. WAG, some sort of Special Extended Edition only available if you pledge $500 or more to PBS?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Star Wars: A New Hope: after the first proton torpedo exploded at the mouth of the exhaust shaft, why wasn't the mouth a tangle of twisted wreckage when it was Luke's turn?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Star Wars: A New Hope: after the first proton torpedo exploded at the mouth of the exhaust shaft, why wasn't the mouth a tangle of twisted wreckage when it was Luke's turn?
Two words: Deflector shields.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:45 PM

What happened to the dog in the apartment in The Great Gatsby?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Soap: Did Jessica die from the firing squad?
She turned up in an episode of Benson to answer that question.

Her body is alive, but comatose. Her spirit is an apprentice angel.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM

In Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace, why does Qui Gonn try the Jedi Mind Trick on Wattoo? Shouldn't part of learning the trick be learning what races are immune to it?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitterst View Post
In Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace, why does Qui Gonn try the Jedi Mind Trick on Wattoo? Shouldn't part of learning the trick be learning what races are immune to it?
Ahem.....puts on Star Wars nerd hat*

There are like tens of thousands of species inhabiting the SW universe making memorizing hard. Also in the Clone Wars show Wattoo's species is revealed to be kinda xenophobic and isolationist, it is possible Wattoo is one of the few living on another planet making him unfamiliar to Qui Gon.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 PM

Also, it's possible that even though it doesn't work on most of a species, it might work on particularly weak minded specimens. No harm in trying.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

In the original Back to the Future how did an all white high school in the year 1955 allow a "colored" band to play at their prom?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
In the original Back to the Future how did an all white high school in the year 1955 allow a "colored" band to play at their prom?
It wasn't a big deal back then.

Well, not until Doc Brown went back and screwed things up in the 1880s.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

It wasn't a big deal in 1955? Either I'm being whooshed, or history is being rewritten. Segregation was de facto law back in the 1950's and early 1960's.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

How does Sargent Snorkel keeping ending up hanging by a tree over a cliff?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
It wasn't a big deal in 1955? Either I'm being whooshed, or history is being rewritten.
Either I'm being whooshed, or you missed my second sentence.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a big deal in 1955? Either I'm being whooshed, or history is being rewritten. Segregation was de facto law back in the 1950's and early 1960's.
So that means the school had no black janitors or lunch ladies? It was a hired band, not a bunch of students.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
How does Sargent Snorkel keeping ending up hanging by a tree over a cliff?
They just green-screen him in.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The Big Sleep: Okay come on, WHO killed the chauffeur and why?
I thought the little sister killed him while she was high on something. Or else that gambler guy killed him and framed the little sister, so that he would have control over Lauren Bacall's character.

Or something.

Roddy
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The school owned the band. It didn't hire it.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Why would anyone NOT come out of warp/ hyperspace with their shields up?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Was that the case in Hill Valley, California?

I always had the impression (could be flawed) that most of the segregation and Jim Crow laws were primarily Southern things, and really never were the case in the North and West.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
In Die Hard, the bad guys shoot out the office glass partitions, and Bruce leaves a bloody trail to the bathroom where he picks the glass out of his feet. Why didn't they follow the blood?
The real mystery of that scene is why a German bad guy speaking to a German bad guy needs to resort to English to get him to "shoot the glass."

Quote:
I don't think so. He explicitly states that the first proton torpedo "impacted on the surface."

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 07-23-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The usual justifications are power limitations or some handwave about the properties of hyperspace interfering with shields. For whatever reason, they have to drop into normal space in order to raise shields--though I would agree that it would be logical to do so as soon as possible every time, just in case.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Was that the case in Hill Valley, California?

I always had the impression (could be flawed) that most of the segregation and Jim Crow laws were primarily Southern things, and really never were the case in the North and West.
Segregation wasn't legal, but it was pretty much de facto. School integration didn't start until 1954, and I remember racial riots in school in the late 1960's. It wasn't like someone snapped their fingers and VOILA--total integration.

I do think a 1955 school would be lily white, except possibly for the cleaning and kitchen staffs.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
Why would you become obsessed about whether your girlfriends breasts were real? If I had a girlfriend who looked like that I sure wouldn't care.
Certainly if you can't tell yourself, you shouldn't care. I mean, it's not like it changes the taste.

Quote:
The band were performers, not attendees. Would segregation prevent that?

Quote:
Because the physics won't allow it?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
And of course: where did Chuck Cunningham disappear to after that first season of "Happy Days" ended?
He was drafted. Then caught the deads.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
The Big Sleep: Okay come on, WHO killed the chauffeur and why?
In a fascinating book that covers a lot of questions like this in novels, Where Was Rebecca Shot? by John Sutherland, Sutherland suggests that Eddie Mars did it, at the behest of Vivian Sternwood, because Taylor was blackmailing her family. (I've never seen the movie, so I don't know who played either of these characters.)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Segregation wasn't legal, but it was pretty much de facto. School integration didn't start until 1954, and I remember racial riots in school in the late 1960's. It wasn't like someone snapped their fingers and VOILA--total integration.

I do think a 1955 school would be lily white, except possibly for the cleaning and kitchen staffs.
I think you're missing the point of the Doc Smith remark. Waldo was suggesting that, in the "original" history, schools were not racially segregated in the 50s, and that Doc did something in the 1880s that led to that changing.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Because the physics won't allow it?
No, in Star Wars the Millennium Falcon wasn't destroyed at Alderaan because Solo made a habit of always having his shields up on existing hyperspace. And I think that was also the case with the ST:TOS episode "Errand of Mercy", although I haven't confirmed the cite yet.

Last edited by Lumpy; 07-23-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:29 PM

Re: Back to the Future -

I think it also has something to do with how we perceive bands today compared to how people would in 1955. Today, when a band (or even a DJ) performs, they're almost always the center of attention - the focus of the event. Back then, though, the band was just there to provide some inoffensive background music the guests could dance to. I doubt many people even looked in their direction, no more than people at a party today would spend their time looking at the stereo.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I don't think so. He explicitly states that the first proton torpedo "impacted on the surface."
Meaning that it didn't go into the exhaust shaft. If the surface of the sphere was shielded, the torpedo could explode there and not do any damage.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I think that was also the case with the ST:TOS episode "Errand of Mercy", although I haven't confirmed the cite yet.
I don't recall that it was, but putting the shields up when the Klingons attacked prevented use of the transporter, which was how Kirk and Spock were stranded on Organia.

In "A Taste of Armageddon," Scotty refused to lower the shields, but they were still able to beam Ambassador Fox down to the surface of Eminiar VII. Will someone please explain that to me?

Last edited by terentii; 07-23-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I don't recall that it was, but putting the shields up when the Klingons attacked prevented use of the transporter, which was how Kirk and Spock were stranded on Organia.

In "A Taste of Armageddon," Scotty refused to lower the shields, but they were still able to beam Ambassador Fox down to the surface of Eminiar VII. Will someone please explain that to me?
It wasn't so much that lowering the shields would be instantly lethal; the Eminiarians weren't constantly blasting them, after all. It was more that lowering the shields would be tricky. They had to risk that the Eminiarians wouldn't be able to lock on and fire during the time that the shields were lowered.

So let's say this. Scotty moved the ship to the highest orbit at which the transporters would still function, which, possibly, was (a) outside the normal "safe" range for teleportation and (b) at the edge of the useful range for the enemy disrupters. He also tells the transporter operator to bypass much of the usual safety routines, which also extend the time the shields must be down--from 10 seconds to five seconds, say. He then tells Fox, "Okay, here's the deal. Ordinarily the transporter has about a 0.0001% fatality rate. The changes I've made to minimize the danger to the Enterprise will raise that to 10%. So you've got a 90% change of making it to the surface safely, 10 % of arriving at goo. I won't let any of my officers or crew use it under these circumstances. But if youstill want to risk it -- and that includes beaming down alone, with no security detail -- you can. Make your choice."
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
It wasn't so much that lowering the shields would be instantly lethal; the Eminiarians weren't constantly blasting them, after all. It was more that lowering the shields would be tricky. They had to risk that the Eminiarians wouldn't be able to lock on and fire during the time that the shields were lowered.

So let's say this. Scotty moved the ship to the highest orbit at which the transporters would still function, which, possibly, was (a) outside the normal "safe" range for teleportation and (b) at the edge of the useful range for the enemy disrupters. He also tells the transporter operator to bypass much of the usual safety routines, which also extend the time the shields must be down--from 10 seconds to five seconds, say. He then tells Fox, "Okay, here's the deal. Ordinarily the transporter has about a 0.0001% fatality rate. The changes I've made to minimize the danger to the Enterprise will raise that to 10%. So you've got a 90% change of making it to the surface safely, 10 % of arriving at goo. I won't let any of my officers or crew use it under these circumstances. But if youstill want to risk it -- and that includes beaming down alone, with no security detail -- you can. Make your choice."
Having Scotty say "I'll lower the shields just long enough to get you through, but that's it!" during their confrontation on the bridge would have sufficed. Remember, though, he was under strict orders from Kirk not to lower the shields under any circumstances. Also, the Eminiarians had been ordered to open fire the moment the Enterprise dropped her shields (though I don't know how long it would take a blast from a disruptor to reach a ship orbiting ~16,000 miles* overhead).

*Maximum transporter range.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Having Scotty say "I'll lower the shields just long enough to get you through, but that's it!" during their confrontation on the bridge would have sufficed. Remember, though, he was under strict orders from Kirk not to lower the shields under any circumstances. Also, the Eminiarians had been ordered to open fire the moment the Enterprise dropped her shields (though I don't know how long it would take a blast from a disruptor to reach a ship orbiting ~16,000 miles* overhead).

*Maximum transporter range.
Sure. Maybe hte director shot such a scene and deleted it in favor of more time spent lingering on Mea 3; maybe the director and writers missed the contradiction themselves; maybe they just didn't care because they were more interested in shooting an entertaining episode with an (anvilicious!) bit of social commentary in it.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Except it was an unshielded exhaust port.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Except it was an unshielded exhaust port.
Just because the port was unshielded (it wouldn't have been able to vent its exhaust if it were) doesn't mean that the area surrounding the port was unshielded as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Sure. Maybe hte director shot such a scene and deleted it in favor of more time spent lingering on Mea 3; maybe the director and writers missed the contradiction themselves; maybe they just didn't care because they were more interested in shooting an entertaining episode with an (anvilicious!) bit of social commentary in it.
This was the actual exchange:

FOX: Diplomacy, gentlemen, should be a job left to diplomats. You will, of course, immediately resume a peaceful status.
SCOTT: No, sir, I will not.
FOX: What did you say?
SCOTT: I'll not lower the screens, not until the Captain tells me to.
FOX: You are taking orders from me. You will lower the screens as a sign of good faith. My authority.
SCOTT: I know about your authority, but the screens stay up.
MCCOY: Mister Fox, they faked a message from the Captain, they've launched an attack against our ship. Now you want us to trust them openly?
FOX: I want you and expect you to obey my lawful orders.
SCOTT: No, sir. I won't lower the screens.
FOX: Your refusal to comply with my orders has endangered the entire success of this mission. I can have you sent to a penal colony for this.
SCOTT: That you can, sir, but I won't lower the screens.
FOX: Your name will figure prominently in my report to the Federation Central.
(Fox leaves the Bridge)
MCCOY: Well, Scotty, now you've done it.
SCOTT: Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure, but I'll not lower my defences on the word of that mealy-mouthed gentleman down below. Not until I know what happened to the Captain.

Interestingly, Scotty also says (earlier) that they can't fire full phasers with the shields up, though they can launch photon torpedoes.

The tight production schedule and (at that point) unsettled format I think were responsible for the discrepancy.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
So that means the school had no black janitors or lunch ladies? It was a hired band, not a bunch of students.
Exactly, it's no different than the myriad of nightclubs (on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line) that hired Black entertainers without allow them in as guests.

Quote:

Location, location, location. A lot of places outside of the South had various forms of de facto segregation, but there were exceptions. My grandmother (Class of '45) went to HS in rural Pennsylvania and was friends with the lone Black girl (from the only Black family in town) in her class. Apparently things did get a little awkward on their senior trip to DC, but the hotel and restaurants just looked the other way since she was part of a large white school group.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 PM

In "The Warriors" who is David Patrick Kelly (Luther) talking to when he uses the pay phone?
In "48 Hours" what happened to David Patrick Kelly and his girlfriend after the bus got hijacked?
In "Good Neighbor Sam" what happened after all the billboards were defaced?
In the "Pine Barrens" episode of "The Sopranos" so where is the Russian? (sorry if that one has already been used)
Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think this happens in a few episodes. IIRC in the TNG episode Relics, Scotty is able to beam off the old ship with shields raised. Also, remember that you can fire phasers with the shields up.

My understanding is the shield is a barrier in only one direction. You can beam out, but not in.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Why do Homer Simpson's and Hank Hill's illegitimate half-brothers (sired by their respective fathers) look like them, when they both look like their respective mothers?
Old 07-27-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
I think this happens in a few episodes. IIRC in the TNG episode Relics, Scotty is able to beam off the old ship with shields raised. Also, remember that you can fire phasers with the shields up.

My understanding is the shield is a barrier in only one direction. You can beam out, but not in.
Illogical.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
It would depend on the exact version. I can image several possibilities offhand:
  • Dracula shapechanges into vapor, a wolf or a bat, and the Monster's head explodes as his brain takes on that form.
  • Dracula's brain infects the Monster's body with vampirism, and you have Giant Ugly Dracula.
  • Dr Frankenstein's reanimation process resurrects Dracula's brain along with the rest of the monster's body, rendering him no longer a vampire.
  • You end up with a Monster that has Dracula's intellect and hypnotic powers.
You end up with a horrible scarred monster with the monster's intellect, but who is strangely attractive to thin pale women with long dark hair. In threes.

Strangely, this happens in real life.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
Jerry's girlfriend, why....:

-...didn't she try the apple pie?
-...did she wear the same clothes all the time?
-did her friends tell him he was so great for taking her out, and what did George and Kramer see in her that Jerry didn't?
-what did she say to Jerry that was so dirty?
-didn't she want to give him a massage?
-couldn't she spare a square?
-did Newman dump her?
-didn't she ever laugh?
-did she eat her peas one at a time, but scooped the corn?
-did she have man hands?
I just saw on Cracked that Jerry apparently had 73 girlfriends during the course of the show.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Would a Bizarro-Hulk be intelligent and eloquent?