Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 05-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Uosdwis R. Dewoh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,894
In Star Wars what was the emperor's long term plan for the empire? Presumably Darth Vader was supposed to take over after the emperor dies but there's no one after that. They only find out Luke is alive in Empire strikes back. No apprentices for Vader had apparently been considered. The Emperor was probably in his eighties and Vader was as middle aged. Both didn't really have the best of health. Kind of a short Sith empire if you ask me.

Last edited by Uosdwis R. Dewoh; 05-11-2014 at 06:11 PM.
  #202  
Old 05-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uosdwis R. Dewoh View Post
In Star Wars what was the emperor's long term plan for the empire? Presumably Darth Vader was supposed to take over after the emperor dies but there's no one after that. They only find out Luke is alive in Empire strikes back. No apprentices for Vader had apparently been considered. The Emperor was probably in his eighties and Vader was as middle aged. Both didn't really have the best of health. Kind of a short Sith empire if you ask me.
The Rule Of Two was to be replaced with the Rule Of One. If selected parts of the EU can still be taken as canon, Palpatine/Sideous's plan was to live forever. He was working to perfect a way of transferring his consciousness via the Force to clone bodies. This is hinted at in Revenge Of The Sith, when Palpatine tells Anakin that the Dark Side offered a path to immortality. The Dark Side would have found the perfect vessel for itself and would rule the galaxy forever. So in the end Sideous was stringing Vader along- Vader would never even become the Master Sith. In contrast Qui-Gon, Kenobi and Yoda found a way to yield to death that would make them one with the Force.

Last edited by Lumpy; 05-11-2014 at 07:05 PM.
  #203  
Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
In the original Law and order Episode where the player's father kills the hockey coach, Sam Watterson is wearing this huge golden ring on his right hand during closing arguments. What is that ring?
TNT's exclusive deal must have run out; L&O reruns (including the very early ones) have been showing up on a few other channels lately. There are cast combinations that I didn't know existed.

I don't know about McCoy's ring, but I think that guy only owns about two neckties.
  #204  
Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 PM
psychonaut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
Was being gay actually less controversial than unmarried men and women sharing an apartment in 3's company?
Previous thread on this very topic: How (un)realistic a premise was Three's Company's?
  #205  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,779

Weirder than ever: more possibly unanswerable questions


Just occurred to me out of the blue, I couldn't tell you why:

"It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!". Charlie Brown botched his ghost costume and ended up with a sheet full of holes. The gang (sans Linus) go trick-or-treating, and everyone else gets candy or other goodies; Charlie Brown gets rocks. Repeatedly.

Now I don't care how big a loser Charlie Brown is, what kind of cruel bastards give a little kid trick-or-treater a rock just for having a crappy costume? And a whole neighborhood of them!
  #206  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:54 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,974
Maybe they all gave him chocolate pebbles, and he didn't notice.
  #207  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,871
They probably figured that the kid with the crappy costume had to be Charlie Brown, who deserved a rock on general principles.
  #208  
Old 01-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 6,145
In Uncle Buck, Amy Madigan Knocks on the door and looks in the window.

She spies Macaulay Culkin peeking through the mailslot.

She Knocks again, and mack opens the mailslot to see:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...buckletter.jpg






In 2001: A Space Odyssey, a helmetless Dave Bowman braves the airless void of space in order to gain acces to the USS Discovery via the airlock. Once inside the repressurised airlock a helmet appears out of nowhere.
  #209  
Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 AM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 21,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...buckletter.jpg



In 2001: A Space Odyssey, a helmetless Dave Bowman braves the airless void of space in order to gain acces to the USS Discovery via the airlock. Once inside the repressurised airlock a helmet appears out of nowhere.
Erp. Photobucket.

He went back to the pod bay and got a helmet. Why HAL didn't open the pod bay doors (among others) to ensure Dave couldn't leave the airlock is the real mystery.
  #210  
Old 01-18-2017, 11:01 AM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
In Uncle Buck, Amy Madigan Knocks on the door and looks in the window.

She spies Macaulay Culkin peeking through the mailslot.

She Knocks again, and mack opens the mailslot to see:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...buckletter.jpg

Because he's a kid, and he imagines it's robbers or home invaders or whatever.
  #211  
Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Erp. Photobucket.

He went back to the pod bay and got a helmet. Why HAL didn't open the pod bay doors (among others) to ensure Dave couldn't leave the airlock is the real mystery.
He goes to the pod bay to retrieve a green helmet, goes back to the airlock to put it on, then comes back out of the airlock again?
  #212  
Old 01-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 20,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Robot Arm had it pretty close. The genius behind it all wasn't Klink, but Schultz.
But, but, but... I thought Schultz was a business owner. There was one episode where he and Klink were tricked into thinking the war was over(fake radio broadcast) Klink asked Schulz what he would do now and Schulz said he would go back to Schazi Toys. Klink said "Oh, you work for Schazi Toys?" and Schulz, in a smug fashion, replied "I own Schazi Toys!"

Before the war wouldn't that have made him awfully busy, too busy to start an underground?
  #213  
Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 PM
Don Draper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 4,937
In the Black Mirror episode "San Junipero":

SPOILER:
After the dying 'cross over' and go to the tourist 'town' permanently, can they still go back and forth between different eras? If Yorkie and Kelly decide they're sick of the "1987" scene, can they just snap their fingers and be in "1995" land? Or once they are there, is that the new 'reality'? Will time pass similar to the way it does in the real world, and will their 1987 eventually advance to 1995 and 2002, or is it always 1987 for them forevermore?
  #214  
Old 01-18-2017, 11:37 PM
california jobcase is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaexile View Post
A few more things:
[*]Why didnít Uncle Charlie (or Bub for that matter) on My Three Sons have a girlfriend? - I mean even in the 1960s I would have to assume that older men still liked women. Why didn't they show them having any female companionship? Were they closeted gay men? Or was it ED?
[/LIST]
In the last my Three Sons episode I happened to see, Uncle Charlie was conflicted because he wanted to move to Ireland with his girlfriend. He ended up staying.
  #215  
Old 01-19-2017, 04:45 AM
JKellyMap's Avatar
JKellyMap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
And what about Naomi? [referenced in the Electric Company sketch "Love of Chair."]
Oh, that was just Jake and Maggie Gyllenhall's mom.
  #216  
Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
In 2001: A Space Odyssey, a helmetless Dave Bowman braves the airless void of space in order to gain acces to the USS Discovery via the airlock. Once inside the repressurised airlock a helmet appears out of nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Erp. Photobucket.

He went back to the pod bay and got a helmet. Why HAL didn't open the pod bay doors (among others) to ensure Dave couldn't leave the airlock is the real mystery.
I always thought there was a spacesuit in the airlock, and Dave took the helmet from that one. Here's an image from that scene. It's just in that alcove behind the control panel; can't see it too well, but it looks like it has the same chest pack as on Dave's suit. And when we see Dave deactivating HAL, he has a green helmet. The suits in the pod bay were red, yellow, and blue.

I remember thinking this was rather obvious in the movie, but I found the airlock scene on youtube and you don't really see more than that image. Maybe there's a better look at it at some other point in the movie, or it could be explained in the book and I'm just getting them confused.
  #217  
Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 6,145
AHA!

You're right!

Mystery solved!
  #218  
Old 01-19-2017, 07:42 PM
TBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
If selected parts of the EU can still be taken as canon, Palpatine/Sideous's plan was to live forever. He was working to perfect a way of transferring his consciousness via the Force to clone bodies. This is hinted at in Revenge Of The Sith, when Palpatine tells Anakin that the Dark Side offered a path to immortality.
If anyone still cares after all these years, it was more than hinted at in the no longer canon Dark Empire comics. He actually uses a clone body in the series, albeit one that looks more like it was cloned from Prince Lotor from Voltron than Palpatine himself.
  #219  
Old 01-19-2017, 07:53 PM
TBG is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
1. Why was Janet Jackson a minor character on Good Times? Weren't her brothers already huge stars at the time? Didn't she at least qualify for the role of Tootie or Willis' girlfriend?


3. Who was Spiderman on the Electric Company?
snipped

1. She apparently did qualify for the role of Willis's gf, as she played such for a while. Tootie, i dunno, they just liked Kim Fields better. I think she was also younger (she was somewhat cast as a love interest for Arnold, not Willis on crossover eps) and more precocious.

3. Spider-Man, where are you coming from, Spider-Man? Nobody knows who you are!

I know zombie, whatevs.
  #220  
Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
My questions: (sorry if they were asked/answered already):

1. Why was Janet Jackson a minor character on Good Times? Weren't her brothers already huge stars at the time? Didn't she at least qualify for the role of Tootie or Willis' girlfriend?
Janet Jackson was a main character on Good Times - she was in 48 episodes - but she was a new character added in season 6, and the show was cancelled the following year. She also was a character on "Diff'rent Strokes" - Charlene DuPrey. She did 10 episodes in '80 through '84. I don't know if she auditioned for Tootie or not.
  #221  
Old 02-08-2017, 01:42 PM
CaptMurdock's Avatar
CaptMurdock is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Evildrome Boozerama
Posts: 2,129
Die Hard II: Ex-military terrorists take over Dulles Airport. The Army dispatches a counter-terrorist team (led by John Amos) to deal with them. Unbeknownst to anybody until it was almost too late, the CT team is actually filled with terrorist collaborators.

However, the communications expert that arrived at Duilles with the CT team was a last-minute replacement: the usual guy was in the hospital with an emergency appendectomy. The replacement gets killed by John Amos on the way to join up with the terrorists. Naturally, the terrorists all get blown up by Bruce Willis right before the end credits.

My question: what happened to the guy with appendicitis?

Last edited by CaptMurdock; 02-08-2017 at 01:43 PM.
  #222  
Old 02-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,779
Are you saying he was or wasn't one of the terrorist infiltrators?
  #223  
Old 02-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Andy L is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 7,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Die Hard II: Ex-military terrorists take over Dulles Airport. The Army dispatches a counter-terrorist team (led by John Amos) to deal with them. Unbeknownst to anybody until it was almost too late, the CT team is actually filled with terrorist collaborators.

However, the communications expert that arrived at Duilles with the CT team was a last-minute replacement: the usual guy was in the hospital with an emergency appendectomy. The replacement gets killed by John Amos on the way to join up with the terrorists. Naturally, the terrorists all get blown up by Bruce Willis right before the end credits.

My question: what happened to the guy with appendicitis?
Good question. Either he was not one of the collaborators, and the appendicitis saved his life (since Amos would have killed him, just as he killed the replacement), or he was a collaborator, and Amos just accepted that one of his men would have to be left behind. Either way, the guy in the hospital is going to face a pretty intense interrogation in his near future so the good guys can determine which side he was on.
  #224  
Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Andy L is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 7,104
My own silly question: in Legally Blonde (the movie) why was the pool boy willing to lie at the trial? I think it makes sense to conclude that the ex-wife is paying him to do so - the daughter likely confessed to her mother (the ex-wife), who figured the safest way to protect her daughter is to make sure that someone she doesn't like anyway is convicted, but there's not much evidence in the film.
  #225  
Old 02-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,779
With the much-anticipated Season Five of Samurai Jack coming up, I was reminded of something:

In the pilot episode we saw Jack's father the former king having endured 20 years as a wretched slave laborer, holding out for the hope of seeing Aku's defeat. But instead, Jack was banished into the future and the way was cleared for Aku to conquer the world. I think Jack's father must have been... disappointed, to greatly understate it. ETA: unless Jack does finally "get back, back to the past".

Last edited by Lumpy; 02-23-2017 at 12:28 PM.
  #226  
Old 02-23-2017, 12:43 PM
RealityChuck's Avatar
RealityChuck is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 43,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
What would happen if Dracula's brain was implanted in the Frankenstein's Monster's body?
Or, better, what if Dr. Frankenstein was hired by Dracula to fix his heart in case it got a stake in it?
  #227  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,811
On ST: Voyager, The Doctor cannot act quickly enough to save the lives of two patients. The principles of triage do not apply. So Harry Kim lives, a young woman dies, and The Doc is ridden with guilt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have stasis in the Voyager universe? Couldn't the young woman have been put into suspended animation until The Doctor finished with Harry?

Alternatively, The Doctor is the ship's Emergency Medical Hologram. Couldn't they have just generated a copy of the EMH to deal with the second patient? For that matter, why can't they generate enough EMHes to deal with crises like epidemics, rather than roping Command personnel like Tom Paris into serving as corpsmen?* How come they can have only one EMH at a time?

*This is the correct naval terminology, not "medics."
  #228  
Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
My own silly question: in Legally Blonde (the movie) why was the pool boy willing to lie at the trial? I think it makes sense to conclude that the ex-wife is paying him to do so - the daughter likely confessed to her mother (the ex-wife), who figured the safest way to protect her daughter is to make sure that someone she doesn't like anyway is convicted, but there's not much evidence in the film.
I haven't seen the movie since it came out, but didn't the pool boy (who was gay) and the daughter (who was guilty) both despise the stepmother (who was wrongly accused of murdering her husband)?

If anyone was in cahoots, it would be the first two, wouldn't it?

Last edited by terentii; 02-26-2017 at 06:38 AM.
  #229  
Old 05-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,779
In George Orwell's 1984, the dreaded Thought Police constantly search for heterodoxy, especially among the Outer Party who are considered the most likely to plan and lead a rebellion. The presumption being that the Proles are mostly apolitical and the Inner Party members have a stake in the system they're at the top of. My question is, who does the routine functionary work for the Thought Police? Outer Party members? But they're the ones least trusted and most surveilled by the Thought Police. What Outer Party member is trusted enough to work there? Would Winston Smith's fate have been different if he'd worked for Miniluv instead of MiniTru?

BTW:, this applied in real life too. Who did the typing and filed the paperwork in the NKVD during Stalin's purges? Were the people who worked there given an implicit immunity against arrest if they kept their mouths shut and did their jobs? If not, how did you get people to work for an organization that might order their own arrest and execution?
  #230  
Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,607
There's always the possibility they assume if they are working for the system they will not be targeted by the system.

There's plenty of real life examples of people doing the dirty work for their overlords to provide themselves benefit. Look at kapos in the NAZI concentration camps.
  #231  
Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 PM
The Other Waldo Pepper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Spider-Man, where are you coming from, Spider-Man? Nobody knows who you are!

I know zombie, whatevs.
Unless I'm being whooshed and this was just a gag about the theme song, let me add a quick link to the IMDB page for Danny Seagren, a Muppet performer who (a) filled in as Big Bird on Sesame Street when Caroll Spinney was under the weather, and who (b) is credited as playing Spider-Man on The Electric Company, as per this interview.
  #232  
Old 05-14-2017, 08:39 AM
jtur88 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cebu, Philippines
Posts: 14,695
There is an entire genre of fiction that depends on unanswering questions that the audience never asks. In Star Wars and Startrek and all the rest, who does the laundry? Under what duress do people "working for the system" merrily behave morally, what is their incentive, how does one dissent? There is an underlying presumption that everyone is of a race that is inherently and irreversibly either moral or immoral, and obedient to the paradigm.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-14-2017 at 08:44 AM.
  #233  
Old 05-14-2017, 09:31 AM
Andy L is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 7,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
I haven't seen the movie since it came out, but didn't the pool boy (who was gay) and the daughter (who was guilty) both despise the stepmother (who was wrongly accused of murdering her husband)?

If anyone was in cahoots, it would be the first two, wouldn't it?
Somehow I missed this response (sorry about that). The stepdaughter certainly hated the stepmother, but there was no indication (that I recall) that the pool boy hated her.
  #234  
Old 05-14-2017, 10:47 AM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Slow-cala, Florida
Posts: 25,410
Is there some kind of unwritten law that fictional characters can never use the experiences of other fictional characters? I.E., no one on, say, "Bones," would ever say, I saw them do this on "Law & Order: SVU" the other night; let's try it.
  #235  
Old 05-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Is there some kind of unwritten law that fictional characters can never use the experiences of other fictional characters? I.E., no one on, say, "Bones," would ever say, I saw them do this on "Law & Order: SVU" the other night; let's try it.
The copyright laws, that would require royalty payments simply for mentioning the existence of the other show.

ETA: I'm not sure this has NEVER happened, but by and large the above is why it's rare.

Last edited by Lumpy; 05-14-2017 at 06:27 PM.
  #236  
Old 05-14-2017, 06:42 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,974
Isn't there a guy on NCIS that constantly compares various situations to movie plots?

(I don't watch the show but my mother does.)

I don't believe you have to pay royalties merely for naming another work of fiction.
  #237  
Old 05-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Kamino Neko's Avatar
Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Alternate 230
Posts: 15,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Isn't there a guy on NCIS that constantly compares various situations to movie plots?
Was. Dinozzo's no longer on the series.

Kevin on Riverdale's a similar type. He compares other characters or their situations to other TV series a lot.

There's other characters like that, but those two are the clearest in my head.

I'd say the biggest determiner of other pop culture is mentioned is potential for competition.

If a TV show is still airing or a movie is still in the theater when the episode is intended to air, and it's both on a different network, and from a different production company, it won't be mentioned.

But if it's from one of the companies involved in the making of the referencing series, or old enough not to be taking away potential butts in seats, then it's fair game.
  #238  
Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 PM
Irishman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Denton, TX, USA
Posts: 12,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Is there some kind of unwritten law that fictional characters can never use the experiences of other fictional characters? I.E., no one on, say, "Bones," would ever say, I saw them do this on "Law & Order: SVU" the other night; let's try it.
It's becoming more popular as awareness of pop culture itself becomes a thing. References to pop culture are thus okay.

There is the complication that some TV shows appear in contiguous realities, i.e. all the Law & Orders, or all the "Chicago: ___" shows. And sometimes even shows that don't seem like they should but appear on the same network, such as NCIS: Los Angeles and Hawaii Five-Oh.
  #239  
Old 08-05-2017, 02:36 PM
AWB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
On ST: Voyager, The Doctor cannot act quickly enough to save the lives of two patients. The principles of triage do not apply. So Harry Kim lives, a young woman dies, and The Doc is ridden with guilt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have stasis in the Voyager universe? Couldn't the young woman have been put into suspended animation until The Doctor finished with Harry?

Alternatively, The Doctor is the ship's Emergency Medical Hologram. Couldn't they have just generated a copy of the EMH to deal with the second patient? For that matter, why can't they generate enough EMHes to deal with crises like epidemics, rather than roping Command personnel like Tom Paris into serving as corpsmen?* How come they can have only one EMH at a time?

*This is the correct naval terminology, not "medics."
Because in the TV/movie world, computer programs can only "move" from place to place (computer to computer).

Writers have been characterizing software like this since the '70s, but no one has had the heart to tell them they're completely wrong.

Until of course "Living Witness", when the real-time backup module of the EMH was reactivated centuries later. I Think it would've been hilarious had the module been shaped like a 3.5" diskette.
  #240  
Old 08-05-2017, 03:27 PM
AWB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,594
Speaking of Voyager:
  1. Why was Harry Kim never promoted? Paris was given a field commission, demoted, and repromoted.
  2. Chakotay, Torres, and Paris were given field commissions, but only Paris got standard pips. Why ?
  3. Tom and B'lanna were the only ones to have a baby. Really? Over 140 consenting adults (most human) and no other babies? They were expecting to take decades to get home. Surely they weren't thinking of remaining faithful to their S.O.s whom they never expected to see alive again, or at least until they were very old.

    At some point, they'd *have* to have babies, or there'd be nobody to crew the ship.
  4. Whatever happened to the Borg baby that Seven beamed over to the Doctor.
  #241  
Old 08-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Peter Morris's Avatar
Peter Morris is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The far canal
Posts: 12,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
[*]Tom and B'lanna were the only ones to have a baby.
And Ensign Wildman.

I took it there were other babies born, but not to significant characters.
  #242  
Old 08-05-2017, 04:59 PM
erysichthon's Avatar
erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,673
One thing that's always puzzled me about Rocky Horror Picture Show is the reference to a "mission." Before Riff Raff kills Frank, he sings, "Frank N. Furter, it's all over. Your mission is a failure; your lifestyle's too extreme."

So what, exactly, was Frank's mission? Why did the Transylvanians come to Earth in the first place? Whenever I ask a RHPS fan about this, I get a blank look or a shrugging "Take over the world, I guess" answer (which doesn't make sense, because they simply leave Earth after Frank is dead).

It's a silly, dumb question, but I think about it every time I see the movie. BTW, the stage version doesn't explain it either.
  #243  
Old 08-05-2017, 05:16 PM
erysichthon's Avatar
erysichthon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I always thought there was a spacesuit in the airlock, and Dave took the helmet from that one. Here's an image from that scene. It's just in that alcove behind the control panel; can't see it too well, but it looks like it has the same chest pack as on Dave's suit. And when we see Dave deactivating HAL, he has a green helmet. The suits in the pod bay were red, yellow, and blue.
THANK YOU for posting this! I have seen that movie more times than I can count, and I NEVER noticed the spacesuit in the airlock before! I had always assumed that Dave went to the pod bay to get a helmet—which, as ftg pointed out, doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I remember thinking this was rather obvious in the movie, but I found the airlock scene on youtube and you don't really see more than that image. Maybe there's a better look at it at some other point in the movie, or it could be explained in the book and I'm just getting them confused.
In the novel, Dave doesn't attempt to rescue Frank, who is obviously dead. Instead, he realizes that HAL is nuts and asks for control of the hibernation capsules so he can wake up the crew. HAL resists at first, but finally complies. HAL then opens the pod bay doors, the ship starts decompressing, and Dave barely makes it to some kind of emergency chamber that has a spacesuit in it.

Last edited by erysichthon; 08-05-2017 at 05:18 PM.
  #244  
Old 08-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Lumpy's Avatar
Lumpy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota US
Posts: 16,779
Has Popeye ever gotten super-strength from spinach in any manner other than eating it? Smoking it? Snorting it (as in snuff)? A spinach-juice transfusion? A pureed spinach enema?

BTW: is his actual Christian name really "Popeye"? His surname maybe?

Last edited by Lumpy; 08-05-2017 at 09:40 PM.
  #245  
Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Lamia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 13,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
So what, exactly, was Frank's mission? Why did the Transylvanians come to Earth in the first place? Whenever I ask a RHPS fan about this, I get a blank look or a shrugging "Take over the world, I guess" answer (which doesn't make sense, because they simply leave Earth after Frank is dead).
I've never thought much about it, but Frank is a scientist and was presumably supposed to be researching or making something (weapons?) that would benefit Transylvania. Maybe his superiors thought his experiments were going to lead to, say, a race of super soldiers.
  #246  
Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 PM
Asuka is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,462
So how exactly does the world work after Inglourious Basterds? Honestly it seems like the world becomes so much more complicated.

SPOILER:
So after Hitler is dead does the German military sue for peace with figures like Rommel leading the charge, or does Himmler take over and the war somehow becomes much worse? Do the Soviets take this as an opportunity to rush for Berlin much earlier knowing the German military is demoralized? Do the Germans on the Western Front all surrender en-masse to prevent the Soviets from getting to Germany first? With FDR and Henry Wallace still-in-charge of post-war 1944 Europe does that mean they allow even more Soviet concessions than it would have under 1945 Truman? Do the Soviets launch an invasion of Japan before the US does and split Japan into a North and South? Will the Basterds now have to kill Stalin to prevent the world from becoming even more Communist?
  #247  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:28 AM
Murph1111 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Segregation wasn't legal, but it was pretty much de facto. School integration didn't start until 1954, and I remember racial riots in school in the late 1960's. It wasn't like someone snapped their fingers and VOILA--total integration.

I do think a 1955 school would be lily white, except possibly for the cleaning and kitchen staffs.
I went to high school in the deep south from 1956 to 1959. There were black students, and apparently it wasn't such a big deal, since I can't recall whether there were a few or a lot. Afterward, I went to college in California, and was surprised at how few black students there were. I had been working side-by-side with black folks in every part-time job I had during HS and afterward, so it surprised, and sometimes annoyed me that they were isolated from the rest (socially, if not legally).

As for the band - yeah. WAOK played "race music" (e.g. Chuck Berry, etc.) and was on every Atlanta teenager's car radio buttons. (Another button for when the parents were in the car was tuned to a station that played Sinatra or Patti Page.)

So it wouldn't be out of the question for a graduating class to hire a black band.
  #248  
Old 08-06-2017, 02:33 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Isn't there a guy on NCIS that constantly compares various situations to movie plots?
This was done all the time on Remington Steele. The episode I remember best is the one where Brosnan cracked the case by realizing it was just like the plot of The Producers.
  #249  
Old 08-06-2017, 02:39 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Is there some kind of unwritten law that fictional characters can never use the experiences of other fictional characters? I.E., no one on, say, "Bones," would ever say, I saw them do this on "Law & Order: SVU" the other night; let's try it.
They did this a lot in the series produced by MTM back in the '80s. I first noticed it when a male stripper was hired for Lucy's birthday on Hill Street Blues, and the same thing was done a few weeks later for someone else on St Elsewhere. The woman who hired the stripper there even said she got the idea from "some cop show."
  #250  
Old 08-06-2017, 02:42 AM
terentii's Avatar
terentii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 18,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
Because in the TV/movie world, computer programs can only "move" from place to place (computer to computer).
Okay, but couldn't the woman also have just been left in the transporter buffer until Doc had finished with Kim? I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I don't think they were under attack at the moment, or anything like that.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017