Old 08-06-2017, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Is there some kind of unwritten law that fictional characters can never use the experiences of other fictional characters? I.E., no one on, say, "Bones," would ever say, I saw them do this on "Law & Order: SVU" the other night; let's try it.
I remember an episode of The West Wing where Leo was trying to convince some television producers to continue their primetime coverage of a political convention. The TV people complained that the viewers were bored by the convention and they planned on running their regular primetime entertainment schedule. In the midst of this, there came news that a new candidate had entered the race and the producers all began scrambling to cover the emerging event. Leo said, "Does this mean I won't be watching Law and Order tonight?"
Old 08-06-2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaexile View Post
[*]How did Cheers get so much business with only two fairly unattractive waitresses? - Face it…Rhea Pearlman and Shelley Long aren't going pack them in unless they were located in a bar in a remote mining town.
Because it was a sports bar and Sam and (in the beginning) Coach still had loyal fans who remembered them.

Quote:
[*]Why didn't more agents want to work on The X-Files? - Mulder had an apparently unlimited travel budget, his own large office where his boss rarely stopped by, extremely limited oversightand sanction to do do almost whatever he wanted to. Why wouldn't agents want to be in a unit like that?
Because to perpetuate their coverup of the existence of extraterrestrials, the government deliberately kept the number of agents limited to a select few?

Quote:
[*]Why didn’t Uncle Charlie (or Bub for that matter) on My Three Sons have a girlfriend? - I mean even in the 1960s I would have to assume that older men still liked women. Why didn't they show them having any female companionship? Were they closeted gay men? Or was it ED?
Because inserting a woman into an all-male household would have led to romantic complications the series was not equipped to deal with. It was essential that Bub and Charlie be asexual seniors. (Though it was a very different show, a similar situation was seen in Bachelor Father, where the housekeeper was a lovable asexual Asian.)

Quote:
[*]Where did all of Thomas Magnum's money come from? - It's clear that Robin Masters was paying for teh gas in his vehicles and he stayed on teh estate in exchange for his security services. Where did he get the money for the beer and the dates that he went on? And the kayaks. His cases never seemed to pay that much….
Because he presumably received a salary in addition to all his perks. Even if it was only a nominal sum, it seemed he always had lots of money because he didn't have to spend it on anything else.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Leo said, "Does this mean I won't be watching Law and Order tonight?"
In at least one episode of The Green Hornet, the bad guys were watching Batman on TV. The two series came from the same production company.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

Would Magnum have received any sort of pension from his years in the navy?

Last edited by Peter Morris; 08-06-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I also fanwank that everyone in Hogan's crew spoke perfect German. We just never "heard" it because the show translated for us.
In the first episode with Lt DuBois, he asks LeBeau (in French) if the Germans at Stalag 13 know French. LeBeau snorts derisively and says (also in French) no, they only know German and English. So the POWS apparently would have had no problem communicating with the guards even if they didn't know German.

Schultz is, of course, listening to the above conversation the whole time and doesn't understand a word. Later, when Hogan is trying to give Klink a red herring, he says he heard it from LeBeau. When Klink asks how LeBeau would know, Hogan says DuBois told him. Schultz immediately chimes in with "It is true, Herr Kommandant! I heard them speaking French!"

Last edited by terentii; 08-06-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Yes, he would. Even more money to spend!

Last edited by terentii; 08-06-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:23 AM

Quote:
It was supposed to be more or less in central Germany. Hammelburg, I believe. Midway on a line between Berlin and Paris.
And Hammelburg was just outside Dusseldorf and (IIRC) 60 miles from the North Sea.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
From the beginning, it was a "aren't the 70s a crazy mix of yesterday's moralism and today's liberalism" kind of thing. Too bad every plot boiled down to mistaken identity.
It should be noted that Three's Company was the American version of a Britcom, Man around the House. I've always wondered just how well the situational humor of the copy coincided with that of the original.

I just realized there are episodes of this show on YouTube, so now I can find out!
Old 08-06-2017, 05:39 AM

As a kid, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the Batpole costume-change system on the Batman TV series. That way madness lies.

The most plausible fanwank I've heard is that there's a changing room located halfway down the shaft. Bruce and Dick stop there, change into their costumes, then jump back on the poles (or maybe there's a second set of poles). Unfortunately, the producers invalidated this theory by showing us an "Instant Costume Change Lever" in the 1966 feature film adaptation.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWB View Post
Speaking of Voyager:
  1. Why was Harry Kim never promoted? Paris was given a field commission, demoted, and repromoted.
  2. Chakotay, Torres, and Paris were given field commissions, but only Paris got standard pips. Why ?
  3. Tom and B'lanna were the only ones to have a baby. Really? Over 140 consenting adults (most human) and no other babies? They were expecting to take decades to get home. Surely they weren't thinking of remaining faithful to their S.O.s whom they never expected to see alive again, or at least until they were very old.

At some point, they'd *have* to have babies, or there'd be nobody to crew the ship.
  4. Whatever happened to the Borg baby that Seven beamed over to the Doctor.
I think an online reviewer who I follow put it the best: "Voyager is where potential goes to die."
Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
It should be noted that Three's Company was the American version of a Britcom, Man around the House. I've always wondered just how well the situational humor of the copy coincided with that of the original.

I just realized there are episodes of this show on YouTube, so now I can find out!
Also, it's about, not around.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
As a kid, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the Batpole costume-change system on the Batman TV series. That way madness lies.

The most plausible fanwank I've heard is that there's a changing room located halfway down the shaft. Bruce and Dick stop there, change into their costumes, then jump back on the poles (or maybe there's a second set of poles). Unfortunately, the producers invalidated this theory by showing us an "Instant Costume Change Lever" in the 1966 feature film adaptation.
Batman must have had one shitty memory. Weren't there signs all over the Bat-cave?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Batman must have had one shitty memory. Weren't there signs all over the Bat-cave?
They were there for Robin and Alfred if Batman were kidnapped.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
They were there for Robin and Alfred if Batman were kidnapped.
I stand corrected, Robin and Alfred had the shitty memories.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected, Robin and Alfred had the shitty memories.
Yeah, well, Robin never was the sharpest tool in the Bat-box, if you ask me.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
If a TV show is still airing or a movie is still in the theater when the episode is intended to air, and it's both on a different network, and from a different production company, it won't be mentioned.
It's been known to happen. There was an episode of NBC's The Office, "Viewing Party", that didn't merely mention the FOX series Glee but was about the characters gathering to watch the season premier. Some brief clips from Glee are even seen.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, well, Robin never was the sharpest tool in the Bat-box, if you ask me.
Something is really wrong here:
Old 08-06-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In Star Wars and Startrek and all the rest, who does the laundry?
From The Making of Star Trek (Whitfield and Roddenberry, 1968):

Ship's laundry bears little resemblance to its 20th century ancestor. Primarily because garments are reconvertible. It is simply easier to put a garment into the processing machine, reduce it to its original chemical fibers, take out the dirt, and then recreate a "new" garment back into its original form. Aboard the Enterprise, since it is a self-contained unit, out of sheer practicality nothing is ever lost.

(Maybe this explains why the uniforms were constantly being altered in the first two seasons. )
Old 08-06-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Is Assberg where The Assman lives?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

OK, not movies and TV but a media question...

Has DC Comics ever addressed the fact that Superman would have thousands of groupies in Metropolis alone, women tossing him their panties every time he put in a public appearance?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
I've never thought much about it, but Frank is a scientist and was presumably supposed to be researching or making something (weapons?) that would benefit Transylvania. Maybe his superiors thought his experiments were going to lead to, say, a race of super soldiers.
Hey, that's a pretty good theory! Maybe the original plan was for Frank to use human DNA to create an unstoppable clone army, but he got sidetracked making Rocky for his personal use and blew through the entire project budget.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
Hey, that's a pretty good theory! Maybe the original plan was for Frank to use human DNA to create an unstoppable clone army, but he got sidetracked making Rocky for his personal use and blew through the entire project budget.
The gold-plated briefs and high-tops alone would have cost a bundle.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Has DC Comics ever addressed the fact that Superman would have thousands of groupies in Metropolis alone, women tossing him their panties every time he put in a public appearance?
There was a 1960s story where Clark Kent was presumed to have been killed in an explosion, and Superman decided that he was tired of the whole "secret identity" thing and would just be Superman from then on. A daily commute from the Fortress of Solitude was too much of a hassle, so he moved in with Jimmy Olsen. This worked out about as well as you'd expect; he was hounded nonstop by adoring fans and the media, and never got a moment's peace. Supes finally got fed up with that shit and came up with a pretext for resurrecting Clark.

Last edited by erysichthon; 08-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

If Laura Holt is such a hot shot detective, why can't she figure out who Remington Steele really is? Fingerprints, DNA, something?

Like I'm going to hire her to do detective work.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

She's respecting his privacy. And I don't think they had DNA identification when the show was on air.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
She's respecting his privacy. And I don't think they had DNA identification when the show was on air.
She was ahead of her time- she did collect quite a bit of saliva samples from him over the course of the show.

Stupid question: Why didn't Bluto eat spinach and beat the hell out of Popeye?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Same reason I can't become an MMA champion by eating spinach.

Popeye was a super being, a genetic anomaly, (or an alien) whose body was uniquely able to process spinach into super powers. He thought he was a normal human, but that's only because there was no testing at the time that could have found out the truth.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
In at least one episode of The Green Hornet, the bad guys were watching Batman on TV. The two series came from the same production company.
In the Doctor Who episode "Remembrance of the Daleks," set on the day the show originally premiered, the TV shows an announcement: " "This is BBC television, the time is quarter past five and Saturday viewing continues with an adventure in the new science fiction series Doc—" It cuts off mid-word, but it's clear what the show is.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 08-07-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Lumpy:

Larry Niven exists and is writing in the DC universe, too. The first time a bunch of groupies tossed Superman their panties, he tossed them back full of holes. They got the hint pretty quickly.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
In the Doctor Who episode "Remembrance of the Daleks," set on the day the show originally premiered, the TV shows an announcement: " "This is BBC television, the time is quarter past five and Saturday viewing continues with an adventure in the new science fiction series Doc—" It cuts off mid-word, but it's clear what the show is.
I thought the premier was interrupted by the announcement of Kennedy's assassination (on a Friday). Or was it postponed until the next day?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Same reason I can't become an MMA champion by eating spinach.

Popeye was a super being, a genetic anomaly, (or an alien) whose body was uniquely able to process spinach into super powers. He thought he was a normal human, but that's only because there was no testing at the time that could have found out the truth.
Hell, all you have to do is look at his anatomy to see he was a hybrid. I mean, those enlarged calves and forearms---holy crap!
Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Because it tastes so horrible? Even Popeye, who has a freakish craving for it, will take being beaten to a pulp first before resorting to it.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
IIRC, in one episode he tells her that he doesn't know what his real name is. He was shunted from one family member to another frequently, with his name changed every time, possibly to scam the government.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:59 PM
BANNED

I just re-watched The Big Lebowski, and I know it is a bit silly to over-analyze absurdist humor, but:

why didn't The Dude and Walter even think of opening/examining the briefcase? Weren't they even a little bit interested in what a $million in 20s looks like? And if it was locked, wouldn't they have been suspicious of that - since it was supposed to be transferred to the kidnappers and supposedly checked by them without having to go through breaking it open, I guess?

Also - does the Big Lebowski get away in the end with his embezzling the $1M?

Last edited by Okrahoma; 08-07-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchoth View Post
I think an online reviewer who I follow put it the best: "Voyager is where potential goes to die."
Old 08-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
And how would he do in places like rural Kansas or Oklahoma with no tall building's to swing from?
He can't, actually. There was a hilarious story called "When Comes...The Commuter!" about him going after a thief who lived in the suburbs. No place to web-swing.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
If Laura Holt is such a hot shot detective, why can't she figure out who Remington Steele really is? Fingerprints, DNA, something?

Like I'm going to hire her to do detective work.
If his prints aren't on file, what is she going to compare them to? At best, she gets 5, 10 returns from Europe, all with different names. Even his "father"/mentor (Mr Stephanie Zimbalist Sr.) didn't know who he was.

Same with DNA - especially in the early 80s. There was no database.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 AM

What if Mrs Howell had a stash of ru480 and told Gilligan but made him "earn" it.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:53 AM

nevermind, Gilligan wasn't into the girls, but he sure loved the (coconut) cream pies they seem to have had always. Mrs Howell and the professor were in cahoots!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:14 AM

James Bond's PPK

Apparently depending on the actor, it was either a .380 ACP or a .32 ACP variant. My question is, why does Bond keep changing it? Why not just standardize on one PPK? Does MI6 have to stock both versions and their ammo depending on Bond's fancy? Does Bond ever get into a situation where he fires at a target with what he thinks is the .380 version and turns out it's the .32 version so it's not as powerful as he's expecting?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
James Bond's PPK

Apparently depending on the actor, it was either a .380 ACP or a .32 ACP variant. My question is, why does Bond keep changing it? Why not just standardize on one PPK? Does MI6 have to stock both versions and their ammo depending on Bond's fancy? Does Bond ever get into a situation where he fires at a target with what he thinks is the .380 version and turns out it's the .32 version so it's not as powerful as he's expecting?
He originally carried a Beretta (at least in the movies), but M ordered him to start using a PPK, calling the former a "popgun," or something like that. So the PPKs were likely funished by MI6 and changed, depending on which models were in their inventory at any one moment.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Bond likes to change his hair and how stocky he is and his sense of humor, and whether or not he was a Cold Warrior, why not change his gun around?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 PM

How close did Don Adams get to having his nose squished between those huge doors during the Get Smart credits? Were the doors hopefully made of styrofoam?

(sorry, Chief)
Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
How close did Don Adams get to having his nose squished between those huge doors during the Get Smart credits? Were the doors hopefully made of styrofoam?

(sorry, Chief)
I thought he accidentally walked into the doors (which shut at a time he wasn't expecting).
Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I thought he accidentally walked into the doors (which shut at a time he wasn't expecting).
I mean IRL. Or were there small little pieces of black foam (that looked like part of the doors) on either side of the doors' edges, at nose height, thus sparing DA of that totally embarrassing angel-fish-nose setback?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Doubt it. He wasn't in that long. I guess maybe 3 hitches at most. So he wouldn't have gotten anything from Uncle Sam.

But really, with no rent, auto, gas, upkeep or clothes to worry about, if Robin pays him anything at all he's ahead big-time. The money from his cases is gravy.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Doubt it. He wasn't in that long. I guess maybe 3 hitches at most. So he wouldn't have gotten anything from Uncle Sam.
My brother was a SSGT in the USAF, 1968--72, and I remember him getting checks from the government after he got out. What would they have been for?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Die Hard II: ...The communications expert that arrived at Duilles with the CT team was a last-minute replacement: the usual guy was in the hospital with an emergency appendectomy. The replacement gets killed by John Amos on the way to join up with the terrorists. Naturally, the terrorists all get blown up by Bruce Willis right before the end credits.

My question: what happened to the guy with appendicitis?
He got better.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 AM

So what if the terrorists in Die Hard 2 accidentally get Delta Force or SEAL Team Six on their ass instead of Army Special Forces like they planned?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My brother was a SSGT in the USAF, 1968--72, and I remember him getting checks from the government after he got out. What would they have been for?

Just a WAG, mind you, but maybe some form of Disability due to a Service-related injury.