Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
He got better.
actually I think John Amos makes a reference about him getting killed near the end ....
Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie The Horrible View Post
I mean IRL. Or were there small little pieces of black foam (that looked like part of the doors) on either side of the doors' edges, at nose height, thus sparing DA of that totally embarrassing angel-fish-nose setback?
Don Adams was probably just acting - pretending that the door hit him.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
It was common, even in the South, for black entertainers to be hired as entertainment for all-white events. The Cotton Club (which refused to serve black patrons) is the most infamous case of this. In one extreme case, soul legend Soloman Burke even recalled playing a KKK function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph1111 View Post
I went to high school in the deep south from 1956 to 1959. There were black students, and apparently it wasn't such a big deal, since I can't recall whether there were a few or a lot. Afterward, I went to college in California, and was surprised at how few black students there were. I had been working side-by-side with black folks in every part-time job I had during HS and afterward, so it surprised, and sometimes annoyed me that they were isolated from the rest (socially, if not legally).

As for the band - yeah. WAOK played "race music" (e.g. Chuck Berry, etc.) and was on every Atlanta teenager's car radio buttons. (Another button for when the parents were in the car was tuned to a station that played Sinatra or Patti Page.)

So it wouldn't be out of the question for a graduating class to hire a black band.
Exactly. Segregation didn't mean that blacks and whites would never interact; that would be difficult to impossible, especially in small Cotton Belt towns in the Deep South. Jim Crow laws just specified that blacks were always to be subordinate to whites - housekeepers, cooks, hired hands, entertainers. For a white high school to hire a black band wasn't especially odd. They may not have allowed the band members to use the bathrooms or interact with the students, though.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Monsters vs. Aliens: Somehow Ginormica got put into the jumpsuit she woke up in at the military base. Any speculations on how that operation went?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottius Maximus View Post
And of course: where did Chuck Cunningham disappear to after that first season of "Happy Days" ended?
Well, there's a fund set up for his rehab...
Old 11-29-2018, 08:19 AM

In Night People (1954), why did the Russians kidnap the soldier to trade for the man and woman instead of just taking them? They were in plain sight in the nightclub where the woman was performing.

Last edited by Marine_One; 11-29-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Yet more silly, unanswerable, etc.

Popeye comics and cartoons: why did Roughhouse of Roughhouse's Diner even let infamous deadbeat Wimpy in the door?
Old 02-09-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Popeye comics and cartoons: why did Roughhouse of Roughhouse's Diner even let infamous deadbeat Wimpy in the door?
(missed edit window) It's actually the Rough House Cafe; same question.