Old 11-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?
Flubbing? (heh - I'm sure it's intentional sometimes)
(Oh oh! I better not have heard ole Johnny do that at 0:20, 0:31, and [bad ones!] 0:39 and 0:50!!!)

Ima gonna be an apostate and mention a bit I'm not too crazy about and that's when Robert Plant does the uh-uh-AH! uh-uh-AH! AH-uh-uh! AH-uh-uh! thing at 7:29 in what's actually one of my top five Zep numbers - "Achilles Last Stand".

In ELP's "From the Beginning", I like the almost Spanish-sounding (?) "flourish" at 1:13 and 2:04 .

Great expression - 'pulling out all the stops', and Rick Wakeman uses that to great, (and, for me - dare I say spine-tingling) effect at 3:00 .

He does it more subtly at 3:17 and 3:23 in one of my favourite rock passages.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?
Flubbing? (I'm sure it's intentional sometimes)
(Oh oh! I better not have heard ole Johnny do that at 0:20, 0:31, and [bad ones!] 0:39 and 0:50!!!)

Ima gonna be an apostate and mention a bit I'm not too crazy about and that's when Robert Plant does the uh-uh-AH! uh-uh-AH! AH-uh-uh! AH-uh-uh! thing at 7:29 in what's actually one of my top five Zep numbers - "Achilles Last Stand".

In ELP's "From the Beginning", I like the almost Spanish-sounding (?) "flourish" at 1:13 and 2:04 .

Great expression - 'pulling out all the stops', and Rick Wakeman uses that to great, (and, for me - dare I say spine-tingling) effect at 3:00 .

He does it more subtly at 3:17 and 3:23 in one of my favourite rock passages.

ETA: Actually Tony Kaye does the "Wurm" keys.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
Rolling Stones Let It Bleed album "Gimme Shelter": We all know the incredible backing vocals as done by Merry Clayton but listen closely the next time she sings "Murder!" when her voice cracks. You can just barely hear Jagger say/sing "Whooo!"...I believe they were singing this together for the track. It's clear Jagger was mightily impressed.
I was just coming in to mention voice cracks. I'm glad you mentioned this one; the two that came to mind for me (one more well known than the other) are Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols -- at about 2:24 when Johnny Rotten sings "Is this the I.R.A.?"

And the lesser known Eric Lindell in his tune It's My Pleasure when he sings ... well, I'm not exactly sure, but it sounds like "girl if I saw you wanted, girl you bet I'd get you furs and things, it ain't no thang," at about 1:17.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:55 PM

At first I didn't like it, but the (school?) buzzing sound intensifying at 2:39 in Alice Cooper's "School's Out" I guess eventually grew on me.

Bob Plant in "Misty Mountain Hop" has about five or six Plant-like bits that are so Plant-y he out-Plants himself here. At the end of almost every damn line. This makes it difficult to pick just one, (just listen to the whole damn song) (again, I know), so I went with his raspy delay at 2:18 .

/ATMB derail/ Burned: In my previous post, I should've gotten a message saying that I missed the 5-minute edit window, and I'd just end up with what I originally wrote.
Instead, the edit was allowed, (despite being past five minutes), but made it into a double post. /end of ATMB derail/
Old 12-04-2019, 06:24 PM

Bumping again with some bass guitar offerings.

Mike Watt's crazy note at 0:51.
(How the Minutemen do it live)

Soo Yun Park's (of Bitch Magnet) slide up the bass at 19:43
Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM

This one gets me every single time...

From the Cowboy Junkies "Sun Comes Up, It's Tuesday Morning".

At 3:03 when Margo sings "yeah sure I'll admit there are times when I miss you, especially like now when I need someone to hold me..."

It's the "need someone to hold me" that send shivers down my backbone.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 AM

At the end of the first chorus of Wall of Voodoo's Shouldn't Have Given Him a Gun For Christmas, there's this single note that always gives me joy. It's at about 1:24 in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3_rg-VYvQ
Old 12-05-2019, 11:52 AM

In the first 20 seconds of the Scorpions song 'I Can't Get Enough'. The frenetic guitar riff and then a long high-to-low pitched AAAAAAAAA....aaaahhhhhhh from the lead singer. Almost like a yodel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEc19FFdfs8
Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Don't know what the term is, but you can really hear them on some Acoustic Alchemy stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAzlDJ8gzTU
Old 02-01-2020, 06:42 PM

1.) In "America" by Simon & Garfunkel there's a line that goes, "Toss me a cigarette, I think there's one in my raincoat."
The reply is a very quiet, "We smoked the last one an hour ago."

It's followed by a mournful "Oooh-oooh" harmony that perfectly conveys that little shoulder-drooping moment of disappointment, that any smoker will understand intuitively.

2.) In the song "But That's Not The Way It Feels" about calling a telephone operator to track down an old flame, at the very tail end he finally gives up his quest. I always found it charming that despite his obvious disappointment, he remembers his manners and thanks the operator very politely: "Oh, you've been so much more than kind!"

Then he adds, "You can keep the dime." There's so much sweetness and naivete wrapped up in that sentiment. It's something a little kid would say.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:35 AM

Several references upthread to squeaking noises caused by repositioning of fingers on guitar strings. It can sound cool sometimes, but it’s the result of sloppy technique or a difficult passage and is not something that guitarists do intentionally. Although I’m sure there are skilled guitarists who consider it “not broken so doesn’t need fixing,” the truth is that it’s the kind of thing that tends to disappear from your playing once you become mindful of technique. It’s comparable to scuffing your feet or standing with poor posture. I’m only saying this because someone asked about it.

I recall hearing once on the radio an extended version of Sir Douglas Quintet’s “She’s About a Mover.” IIRC, as the music fades away, there’s some guitar work and someone responds by shouting, “Hey! Who let that freaky guitar player in here?” I’ve looked for this version unsuccessfully for so long that I’m starting to wonder if I didn’t dream it or something. Actually, I was going to post it here in an “identify this” thread, so here goes: If anyone’s heard this version, please let me know.

An old recording I’ve mentioned here before: “My Sweet” by Django Reinhardt and Stéphane Grappelli. The whole thing is bristling with optimistic energy, especially Django’s supercharged strumming, heard at several points but especially at 1:33 here.

An even older recording is Blind Blake’s “West Coast Blues.” Again, I’ve mentioned it here before and the whole thing is full of great playing (kicking every guitar player’s ass since 1926). One detail I like is how he introduces his solo with “I got something gonna make you feel good!” at 1:38 here.

The rhythm behind Muddy Waters’ version of “Still a Fool” (Two Trains Running) sounds weirdly disjointed, largely due to a trippy little repeating guitar riff but also because someone is thumping away on a bass drum (I read that it was Lester Melrose). Once every couple of years, I love to get very drunk and listen to this really loud in a dark room. I’m not going to indicate a specific part; just crank up the volume and enjoy.

Bukka (Booker) White’s “Fixin’ to Die Blues.” Mushmouthed delivery throughout, but notice how his voice changes timbre for some lines of verse (“That’s why I tried so hard and come back home to die”).

ZZ Top’s “Jesus Just Left Chicago” has some blisteringly hot moments. The music, of course, but also in the singing (“Turning muddy water into wine”).

Robin Trower’s “Too Rolling Stoned” and, in addition to the smokin’ guitar, someone in the crowd yelling “Hey, that’s alright!” at 7:02-7:03 here. Another one to crank up real loud.

Last edited by jerez; 02-02-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:16 AM

The tiny guitar lick between "Won't you take me to" and "Funkytown?"

Last edited by Ashtura; 02-04-2020 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Similar to the pause in Eddy Grant's We gonna rock down to (pause) Electric Avenue. The first time I heard the song, I thought the phrase "Electric Avenue" was being sung by another, different person.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I love the sound of an acoustic guitar. Especially when you can hear the little squeaks where the guitarist repositions.
Another good one I love with prominent string squeak:

Darren Korb - Build That Wall

In the right songs, it pulls you in to close intimacy, like being on a stool there in the studio. Elsewhere, it can just sound like sloppy playing/recording.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:11 PM

1) Here Comes the Sun, The Beatles, Abbey Road
(also mentioned by Blank Slate)
I love the instrumental passage between the bridge (Sun sun sun here it comes) and the third/final verse.
DA da-da-DA da-da-DA da-da-DAAA
(2:05-2:12)

2) Shiny Happy People, REM, Out of Time
The song begins with an instrumental passage, which is slower than the main part of the song. Near the end, they repeat the slower passage before resuming the main tempo for the coda. At the end of the slow passage, Michael Stipe says, ”Here we go!”
(2:19-2:36)

3) Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited
The most common structure for popular music is 4 lines of 4 bars each per stanza. In this song, however, the 3rd line is 2 bars of Dylan singing then 4 bars of the band playing without him. The payoff is in the 3rd verse, where the 3rd line goes:
Louie the king said, “Let me think for a minute, son.” (pause)
(1:34-1:42)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:27 PM

Slightly off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
The guitar riff in Boston's "More Than A Feeling." It really should be illegal to play in the car because when I look down I am doing 87mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
In high school, I had that same problem with "Synchronicity II" by the Police. I actually took the tape out of my car.
Two of the songs that make *me* drive way to fast
Don Henley, The Boys of Summer
Bob Seger, Hollywood Nights
Old 02-08-2020, 03:13 AM

Quote:
In high school, I had that same problem with "Synchronicity II" by the Police. I actually took the tape out of my car.
Holy chroly that.
(And to also hopefully not go too off-topic): Might have mentioned in an old post...always imagined that one and Genesis's Duke intro/outro making great chase soundtracks, epecially in the air, soaring inches along cliffs n'stuff.

Some bits from R.E.M.'s Lifes Rich Pageant:
Whenever they come to a stop in "Begin the Begin" and play this Bond, Bond-like riff @ 0:22.
Starting at 1:58 (with the drum fill leading into the "EH!" yell) there are three more things immediately following: the high note hit on "Heart" (2:05) at the same time a staggered vocal track is layered over, capped off by the song's signature descending bass line (2:14).
Old 02-08-2020, 10:45 AM

The Mamas & The Papas' version of Dedicated To The One I Love has a ton of good little parts. But the best is near the beginning. After the solo bit there's this great crash vocal really kicking off the song.

(I see so many performers on Colbert, etc. that start off simple and mild and then ... just keep going like that. Come on, kick it into gear folks.)
Old 02-09-2020, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
Also, "uuuurgghhhhh" in Faith no Mores's version of "Easy" (see 1:53 in the video)......
Ha! Faith No More's cover has ruined me for the Commodores' original. When Lionel Richie gives his version of the "Oooh!" just before the guitar solo/bridge, I crack up every time from memory of Mike Patton's "ewww!"
Old 02-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Today I heard the Beatles "She Loves You" for the first time in years. When John and Paul ssing "Whoo" at the end of the second chorus, suddenly I was a young girl again, watching them on the Ed Sullivan for the first time, seeing them lean into the microphone and shake their "long" hair.

That song rocks and the "Whoo" is amazing.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:56 AM

Jethro Tull - Mother Goose is stuffed full of tasty acoustic guitar fills and scale walks. I especially love the walk-down at around 2:19 before the electric guitar comes in.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Today I heard the Beatles "She Loves You" for the first time in years. When John and Paul ssing "Whoo" at the end of the second chorus, suddenly I was a young girl again, watching them on the Ed Sullivan for the first time, seeing them lean into the microphone and shake their "long" hair.

That song rocks and the "Whoo" is amazing.
Yeah, that’s a good one. About the cutest thing I’ve ever seen was my niece, when she was around 10 years old, and her little friend react in unison to that part. They were lying on the floor reading books as the song played in the background, and they did their little woos without looking up or anything. I just about bust a gut trying not to laugh until the end of the song.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:27 PM

The sax solo on Pink Floyd’s Dogs of War.

The ending of 1985 by Wings, since I feel sure he was just beating the hell out of that piano.

Naked Eye by The Who: We’re not pawns in a game, we’re not tools of bigger men...

Tea and Theater by The Who: A thousand songs still smolder now, we played them as one, we’re older now...
Old 02-10-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
There's a part in "Tempted" by Squeeze where the drummer does something very different from what he has been doing up to that point.
I think I found the part you mean. At 2:43, the drummer (Gilson Lavis) hits a cymbal for the first time for 1 beat. He hits it a few more times. Then starting at 3:07 (when Paul Carrack sings “oo-oh”), for the rest of the song he hits it on the first beat of every other measure.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:18 PM

Nomeanso get their mojo on with some ooo-ooo-ooo-ooo's @ 0:38 here and a good solid UH! @ 2:59 there.

Impressive how this 45-second AxCx number, alone, has three near-miraculous things in it: firstly - it's the only song, ever, that didn't start until after three series of counting-in stick clicks. Then, @ exactly 13:49, is the most shredding ascending guitar riff , and finally, Seth's triumphantly flatulent "UUUUURRRRRRRRRRR" right into a ride cymbal 'ting' @ 14:02 .
Old 02-12-2020, 11:39 AM

Tea for the Tillerman by then Cat Stevens is another one of those songs with a nice, gentle intro that builds to a great choral burst. But the song is only a minute long so it's basically over then.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:09 PM

Stevens's "Wide World" has that famous descending guitar line , as well as the accompanying call-and-response line on piano.