Old 11-11-2019, 06:09 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

That just means they've only issued press releases for two more. Could be the titles would indicate something they don't want to spill.

Media coverage indicates fourteen with a special post game in late January hosted by Seth Meyers after the series concludes.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:42 AM

I think the finale is supposed to be an hour long too.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I'm confused by this. Wikipedia is saying it's a 14-episode season but both the Wiki page and Netflix are only showing two more episodes to come (for a total of nine).
IMDb has placeholders for 14 episodes.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Okay, that makes sense. Part of my confusion was because episode 9 is called "The Answer", which seemed like a finale title.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:40 PM

It's a "midseason finale", so expect a big cliffhanger.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
It's a "midseason finale", so expect a big cliffhanger.
As opposed to what we have now?
Old 11-15-2019, 05:54 AM

Episode 8: The Funerals to End All Funerals

All 3 funerals were great, bringing out the best points of each of our characters.

And I hadn't really considered it before, but all 6 Friends belong in the Bad Place, especially Phoebe.

Last edited by Calavera; 11-15-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Well, I definitely didn't see that ruling coming. I'm surprised Shawn didn't voice any objections purely out of self preservation. I liked the Janets uniting, but I wish we got to see a Neutral Janet voicing her objections too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2019, 08:31 AM

Neutral, (and Disco) Janets haven't been important enough to the plot to be treated as actual characters. There was a Neutral Janet in the group who said something like "I am here for the reason that I'm here."
Old 11-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Who actually created the points system? Was it Gen; after all she is the first being to come into existence and apparently can decide on her own to reboot the entire universe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Loved the Weekend at Bernie's reference and Jason's needing help finding his Nintendo and referring to Tahani's "speech impediment".
Old 11-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Hmmm - If nobody has gotten into the Good place in centuries, how come there are so many more Good Janets than Bad Janets? And is Disco Janet a Good or a Bad Janet? What about Plaid Janet? The mind reels...
Old 11-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Hmmm - If nobody has gotten into the Good place in centuries, how come there are so many more Good Janets than Bad Janets? And is Disco Janet a Good or a Bad Janet? What about Plaid Janet? The mind reels...
Well A) Time is irrelevant because of Jeremy Bearimy and B) based on what we've seen of the Good Place, they probably decide how many Good Janets were needed at the beginning and never made any adjustments.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Plaid Janet is from the Scottish Good Place neighborhood, where bagpipe music fills the air and all the restaurants serve haggis.

Wait a minute....

Last edited by friedo; 11-18-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: might be bad place
Old 11-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Plaid Janet is from the Scottish Good Place neighborhood, where bagpipe music fills the air and all the restaurants server haggis.

Wait a minute....
It's possible, there are many of us that love bagpipes and there must be at least a few hundred that like haggis or they wouldn't still be making it.

Awesome bagpipe music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXm8JdC4k4c
Old 11-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Disco Janet is definitely a bad Janet. My bad place will probably be full of Disco Janets. And they'll always be hanging out with some douchebag with a combover whose only value is that he provides them with lots of Cristal and blow.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Episode 9: The Answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
I wonder if Chidi will have his memories restored and be back with the team again.
Well, I guess that answers that.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:35 PM

He seems cool and collected. I hope it sticks.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:46 PM

I don't know why that one touched me so much emotionally, but it did.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

They haven't done much with restaurant puns lately, but I caught up on the last three and in one of them I saw Beignet and the Jets.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
They haven't done much with restaurant puns lately, but I caught up on the last three and in one of them I saw Beignet and the Jets.
There was also a bar (I assume) called "Foot Lager".

And speaking of feet, nice to see Chidi's red boots again!

- The Police, "One World"
Old 11-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Well Chidi finally came to that great philosophical epiphany he's been searching for his whole existence, but it's not clear how helpful it'll be. He does seem to have moved completely beyond stress though, so that's a plus.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:16 PM

I thought for sure Jason tripping with the drink would cause him to bump into Michael and mess something up with waking Chidi. I kinda wish this had been a longer episode. As it was, I didn't feel like we learned anything new, it just felt like a refresher "hey, remember how Chidi is?"

Not specific to the show, but was is the "3" that appears in lower left corner at the start, that turns into the NBC peacock?
Old 11-24-2019, 11:56 PM

Hmm. Still really like this show, but I just don't know what to talk about this season. There haven't been any real jaw-dropping moments or stunning twists. Basically the world is creeping toward the lamest apocalypse ever, Eleanor and company are trying to put a stop to it, and the plot is gradually unfurling to that point.

I will point out something I personally found kind of interesting...I found Brent mostly forgettable. That never happens. When the show introduces the Absolutely Bulletproof Karma Houdini Worthless Jerk, he turns me off as quickly as if he'd hit a circuit breaker. I've railed on and on about how this character INSTANTLY and PERMANENTLY ruins a show. Brent...didn't. Basically he acted like a total goof, was more frustrating than irritating, and actually had some pretty funny moments, and once he was gone, that was it; didn't leave any mark on me whatsoever. I actually found John slightly more aggravating...all that smarm just oozing off of him (although he had a few funny moments as well).

Very, very good episode, BTW. Chidi is now definitely my favorite character, and seeing more of his backstory and how it integrated into this show's history (always cool!) was a joy to watch. As someone who's often struggled with decisions, I never understood what was so objectionable about taking the time to think through the options and ensure that you're making the best decision. (I do think taking several hours to pick out a hat is excessive, but I haven't worn a hat in years, so who am I to judge. ) So now he has to pull up his bootstraps and save the day? Works for me.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

The underlying problem with this season is that Shawn won. He got Brent and John into the cast. They drag down the show every moment they're on screen. They subtract much and add nothing.

They had to have known this. It took a full season to appreciate the Fab Four as characters. Jason didn't even speak for several episodes. Introducing two new characters to place the fate of humanity on was a staggeringly bad idea.

A common fault of sitcoms is that they increase the number of regulars every season. That cuts the time on screen for each. Big Bang Theory started with five regulars, then added Amy, Bernadette, Stuart, and recurring guests. There would be A, B, and C arcs with separate groupings. Even after years, people complained about how the new characters weren't as good as the old ones. And they usually weren't because they never got the time to develop. Only Amy did.

Two critical new characters as pivots on the last season? Nobody could make that work. Brent and John didn't even have personalities: they have tics they wore like coats. What happened to the ethical dilemmas, the philosophical instruction, the insights into their past lives? Gone, all gone.

I'd hope that Brent and John are gone for the rest of the season, but that can't happen. Like Bad Janet, they have to return.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:45 PM

I didn't have any issue with John.

Brent was necessary. They needed a way to fail. We saw how Eleanor, an Arizona dirtbag, became a better person over and over again. Michael's whole hypothesis is that the reason no one's getting to the Good Place was because of how the point system worked. But he needed to learn that there are some people who are just bad and don't want to change. Or it will at least take a lot longer.

I'm guessing Chidi's solution will be to turn the Medium Place into a sort of purgatory. Give everyone a chance to be better, no matter how long it takes.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:44 PM

I agree with Exapno. They spent a significant amount of the season with two characters who were kind of annoying and had no arc. They had to have no arc because they have to fail because the writers wrote themselves into this plot, but that doesn't make it a good call.

Still, the show is great, so I'm willing to forgive it some fumbles.

Best one-liner of the episode was Janet, in her wedding dress, saying "I thought I'd never get married because I was too old.<beat> I'm infinity."
Old 11-26-2019, 06:52 AM

I disagree about Brent and John - they had, what, a year to turn two supremely annoying, shallow self-centered characters into better people, and despite active sabotage they managed to do it and we could see it in the characters - John managed to keep Jason's secret for a long time and Brent, despite his impenetrable narcissism, cracked at the last minute. It took Chidi one-and-a-half lives and 800+ afterlives to stop being really annoying; given only a year, they actually did pretty well on those two. And yes, they were there to test the six main characters, but then so was everyone and everything else in the course of the show.

If anything, it's Simone who was the odd one out - we saw no character development at all, and she was really only there to make Eleanor jealous and conflicted. And in the end she just flounced off and was never heard from again (yet).
Old 11-26-2019, 06:41 PM

New prediction: Chidi eventually agrees with the judge about rebooting everything, grabs the rebooter and pushes the button. Cut to an amoeba reproducing, run end credits.

About as likely as any of my other guesses.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:06 AM

Episode 10: You've Changed, Man.

Another great episode, looking into all the Janet voids were well done, Chidi's confidence was good. "Shut up. Shut up. Hi. Shut up"

The one-note Good Place dweebs are just annoying now, there's nothing of value in those scenes.

Gonna erase the Earrr-rrr-th. Gonna erase the Earth

Last edited by Calavera; 01-10-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Thought it was an excellent episode, especially since it is starting to set up a promising ending.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:37 AM

The On Demand cut off weird. Did anything happen after Chidi said "I'm just the idea guy"?
Old 01-10-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
The On Demand cut off weird. Did anything happen after Chidi said "I'm just the idea guy"?
Nope.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:51 AM

Against boredom even demons struggle in vain.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
That just means they've only issued press releases for two more. Could be the titles would indicate something they don't want to spill.

Media coverage indicates fourteen with a special post game in late January hosted by Seth Meyers after the series concludes.
Quote:
I think the finale is supposed to be an hour long too.
Just to clarify this, there are three more episodes with the last one being an hour long. It looks like technically it's considered a two-parter, which brings us to 14 episodes.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Drat, didn't even know that new episodes were starting (I wasn't home). I think i have a wait a week to see the episode online (no cable)

Brian
Old 01-10-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
Drat, didn't even know that new episodes were starting (I wasn't home). I think i have a wait a week to see the episode online (no cable)

Brian
What do you have? It's on Hulu already.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What do you have? It's on Hulu already.
Also https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place
Old 01-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I watch OTA. I could have sworn the last time I tried watching The Good Place online I had to enter a provider or wait a week (maybe that was ABC)
Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-13-2020, 07:01 AM

I tried in vain to read the small print on the billboard in Bad Janet's void, but the internet delivered:

Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean 12
Jack Sparrow Fights Aquaman, Probably. I Mean, At This Point Does It Even Matter?
Old 01-13-2020, 08:35 AM

I think "Joanie Loves Tchotchkes" wins for best sign of the entire series.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:56 PM

I somehow forgot to subscribe to this thread, so I have a whole season's worth of thoughts. But only a few that I still remember:
-Overall, a fun season. I think there was maybe one episode too many in the status of quo of Brent and John and Simone, but since we've moved past that, things are very entertaining and interesting
-The good place committee continues to be a one-note joke, and a not very funny one at that. I've probably ranted this before, but it just seems like a lowest common denominator super obvious mental image. "haha, they are supposed to be good, but they are just silly crunchy ineffectual hippies, ha ha". Not like I've actually seen hundreds of previous TV shows in which we meet the committee who rules heaven and they're ineffectual lightweights... but it somehow _feels_ that I have.
-Guest star Timothy Olyphant was one of the best things in the entire run of the show

My one main complaint is that I did not at all buy the logic of the "Shawn is suddenly on our side" switch. There had _better_ be more to it than that. Because it really just felt like "hey, Shawn is funny, and Marc Evan Jackson is super nice and runs the show's podcast and all... aww, heck, let's let him hang out with team cockroach". He HATES them. Sure he enjoys fighting against them. So Michael should have pitched it that way. "Option 1: the universe restarts, and you are bored for a billion years, and then who knows, and all of us who you hate are gone. Option 2: for EVERY SINGLE HUMAN WHO EVER DIES we have to have an argument about how best to judge/rate/improve them, you get to argue with us millions of times per day forever". But particularly after his immediate rejection of their previous (semi-reasonable) attempt to so convince him, it seemed pretty unbelievable that suddenly he was swayed by sentiment. Sure, for a human being maybe there's a fine line between love and hate. But for a demon?

Anyhow, still a great show overall, eager for tonight.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

What if...

They're all ALREADY in the training loop - for lack of a better phrase - and them inventing it again is a sign that they're becoming better?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 PM

What if.... people didn't post theoretical spoilers?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 AM

I still find it weird that the best person (according to the old system) to have lived for the last 500 years was Mindy St Clair. That must be one helluva charity.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
-The good place committee continues to be a one-note joke, and a not very funny one at that. I've probably ranted this before, but it just seems like a lowest common denominator super obvious mental image. "haha, they are supposed to be good, but they are just silly crunchy ineffectual hippies, ha ha". Not like I've actually seen hundreds of previous TV shows in which we meet the committee who rules heaven and they're ineffectual lightweights... but it somehow _feels_ that I have.
Remember Doug Forcett became a total doormat after he'd figured out the system. The Good Place Committee are very much the same. Maybe the system isn't rigged, but rather the Good Place Committee had decided that only people like themselves should go there, and no one likes being a doormat.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 AM

Speaking of which: my WAG of the last scene is Doug waking up in the waiting room and being called in to the office. Because we gotta have Doug closure.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
What if...

They're all ALREADY in the training loop - for lack of a better phrase - and them inventing it again is a sign that they're becoming better?
The only problem with that idea is all the scenes we've seen without the Soul Squad. Like the scenes between Shawn and Michael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I still find it weird that the best person (according to the old system) to have lived for the last 500 years was Mindy St Clair. That must be one helluva charity.
Mindy is not the best person. The issue was whether or not Mindy should get credit for her charity, which technically wasn't made until after she died. Since they couldn't settle it, Gen made a medium place for her. If Mindy had continued to live, she would've ended up in the Bad Place like everyone else.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
What if.... people didn't post theoretical spoilers?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
What the heck is a "theoretical spoiler"? Isn't that just a guess how the story will go?
Old 01-16-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

The Spoiler Police are now looking to ban pre-spoilers. That's right, to prevent speculation potentially being right and thus ruining a show for the spoiler-averse, guesses will now be treated the same as outright giving away the plot for recently-aired episodes.

D. Luke, I am your sled Odds