Old 12-31-2019, 07:50 PM

Not great, but pleasant current sitcoms you watch

I've been watching Superstore for as long as it's been on. Not hilarious, but funny enough and, you know, pleasant.

A new one I like is Perfect Harmony. The plots are cliched Southern small town with twists. I've always liked Bradley Whitford. Anna Camp is as sweet as sugar. Her ex-ish described himself as a Ten (he's not) and her as a Thirteen (there's no better word). All in all, it's funny enough and pleasant.

What do you watch that ain't art, but is a pleasant way to burn a half hour?
Old 12-31-2019, 07:58 PM

I just want to second Superstore, except that I often do find it hilarious. It can be extremely smart at times.

It’s a perfect ‘you’re not missing anything if you don’t watch, but you’ll be pleasantly surprised if you do’ kind of tv show.

Last edited by planetcory; 12-31-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

"The Unicorn" with Walton Goggins. He's recently widowed with two teen-ish daughters, and friends who are trying to help him navigate getting back into dating. It's not must see TV, but it doesn't send me lunging for the remote like the new Patricia Heaton sitcom does.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 01-01-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I've been watching Superstore for as long as it's been on. Not hilarious, but funny enough and, you know, pleasant.

A new one I like is Perfect Harmony. The plots are cliched Southern small town with twists. I've always liked Bradley Whitford. Anna Camp is as sweet as sugar. Her ex-ish described himself as a Ten (he's not) and her as a Thirteen (there's no better word). All in all, it's funny enough and pleasant.

What do you watch that ain't art, but is a pleasant way to burn a half hour?
Anna Camp could read the phone book, and I'd watch it.

I don't know if animation counts, or the "Adult Swim" stuff, but I watch "Bob's Burgers" and "Robot Chicken" quite a bit. Even their flat episodes can get me to chuckle a few times
Old 01-01-2020, 11:28 AM

Anything counts in this thread. In my threads there are no rules, just launching points.

Shoeless, it think you meant anything with Patricia Heaton in it.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Regarding Patricia Heaton, she starred in The Middle (although that's not a current sitcom), which I liked a lot.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
...A new one I like is Perfect Harmony. The plots are cliched Southern small town with twists. I've always liked Bradley Whitford. Anna Camp is as sweet as sugar. Her ex-ish described himself as a Ten (he's not) and her as a Thirteen (there's no better word). All in all, it's funny enough and pleasant.
OMG--Bradley Whitford, of course! I knew he looked familiar. Loved him in The West Wing. I like PH-- definitely full of cliches, but still funny. (Hey, cliches ARE funny!) Kind of like Glee, but much less intense. Are we going to get some new episodes soon?
Old 01-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Schooled with Lainey Lewis from the Goldbergs. Based on real life teachers.
Single Parents with Leighton Meester.

Brian
Old 01-01-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

AP Bio wasn't bad. I watched it every week when it aired, but wasn't really surprised when it was cancelled (and now I see it's revived to be streamed on NBC's streaming platform). Same for The Mick.
I remember a lot of complaints about The Mick were people saying that it just shows Kaitlin Olson can only play Sweet Dee, personally, I just leaned into that. Mick did seem like Dee, but in my head I just told myself that was Dee outside of the bar and away from the gang. Same for AP Bio, it really just seemed like Dennis away from the gang and attempting to make something of his life instead of just being all talk.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

OK, if you want to talk about recent but cancelled sitcoms, I really liked The Kids Are Alright, a one-season sitcom from the 2018-9 season. It starred Michael Cudlitz and Mary McCormack as the Irish-American Catholic parents of eight boys aged from about 22 down to infant. I thought it was really well-done and was sorry to see it cancelled.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:18 PM

I was actually pleasantly surprised by Bless this Mess. It's certainly not brilliant but it's not nearly as painful to watch as I thought. I was actually hoping for more shades of Northern Exposure and the result was more Green Acres. Still watchable though.

Dax Shepard needs to die in a fire though.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Regarding Patricia Heaton, she starred in The Middle (although that's not a current sitcom), which I liked a lot.
Patricia Heaton is tolerable in small doses, or if there are enough other good actors on the show to distract from her (Raymond, The Middle). But with her being the "star" of this one, plus the incessant CBS laff-track, it's really more than I can take. Although, I may pause briefly before switching channels if the woman who plays her daughter is on-screen.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:09 PM

I don't even know what's popular these days but I do know I love The Goldbergs and the spin-off Schooled. They're sweet and silly and heartwarming. I especially like Schooled. I also really enjoyed Speechless, but it was canceled. As was The Kids are Alright, which was a DELIGHT. I don't know how it's decided to keep godawful shows like American Housewife and The Connors (which I guess is only still hanging on to spite Roseanne Barr because it's pure garbage) but they get rid of really enjoyable shows with great casts. I don't expect Schooled to last long.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Modern Family, The Goldbergs, Black-ish
Old 01-02-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
Schooled with Lainey Lewis from the Goldbergs. Based on real life teachers.

Single Parents with Leighton Meester.
Same two for our household. We love The Goldbergs, and were willing to stay on an extra 30 minutes for the first few episodes of Schooled. The latter has proved to be surprisingly solid, chiefly by giving Tim Meadows and Bryan Callen room to breathe. Brett Dier was kind of unlikable on Jane the Virgin, but he's redeemed himself and then some on Schooled as Lainey's colleague/sorta love interest C.B.

Single Parents is a lot of fun, though some of the kids on the show kind of ride that line between "cute-precocious" and "way too adult". This show is where Taran Killam (SNL) and Brad Garret (Everybody Loves Raymond) ended up. Garret inhabits his Doug Fogerty character completely, and is able to get the viewer to sympathize with and pull for a close-to-cliche jerk personality.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

The Conners and Young Sheldon. Neither of them is any kind of masterpiece (and the Conners' unrelenting downer lifestyle and constant snark get on my nerves sometimes) but both of them entertain me for half an hour, and that's all I really ask. I like Young Sheldon more since it started focusing more on the other family members, instead of just Sheldon. Meemaw and Georgie, especially, are fun.

I used to like The Kids Are Alright, before it got cancelled.

I tried to watch Bob <3 Abishola since it looked like something I might enjoy, but I found the first episode boring and never tried a second.

Last edited by Infovore; 01-02-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
OK, if you want to talk about recent but cancelled sitcoms, I really liked The Kids Are Alright, a one-season sitcom from the 2018-9 season. It starred Michael Cudlitz and Mary McCormack as the Irish-American Catholic parents of eight boys aged from about 22 down to infant. I thought it was really well-done and was sorry to see it cancelled.
Same here. I was a little surprised that the show only got one season.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarataratara View Post
Modern Family, The Goldbergs, Black-ish
All on our list. Along with Bless This Mess and Schooled (which is a pale shadow of The Goldbergs).

We just discovered Superstore, and are catching up through on demand. It's really smart and funny.

But the funniest sitcom right now is Brooklyn Nine Nine.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
... Schooled (which is a pale shadow of The Goldbergs).
This is rough comparison because Schooled is not really the same type of show. The '90s setting is largely irrelevant to the plots -- it could be set now, it could be set in the 1970s. The interplay between the personalities and the efforts at solving the problem du jour are what carry Schooled. Those personalities are largely adults-as-peers in Schooled and teens-&-parents in The Goldbergs

I do agree that The Goldbergs is a stronger show, but not that it's a night-and-day difference.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
We watched it too- it was surprisingly enjoyable and funny.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:27 PM

I kind of liked Mom with Allison Janney. I haven't watched it for a while but remember it as being pretty funny sometimes.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:31 PM

I agree that Young Sheldon is on the "Not great but pleasant" list.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:33 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I like “Black-ish” and “Mixed-ish” and “Fresh Off the Boat.” The first two can get into heavy topics at times, which I like, but for the most part they are all nice family sitcoms.

I like watching shows about people who have different life experiences than me. “Speechless” was good for that too.

I also like “Kim’s Convenience” on Netflix about a Korean-Canadian family. The dad is a riot!
Old 01-02-2020, 06:10 PM

I like 'Mom'. That's about it. (I loathe 'the Goldbergs', I want to punch the fake yellow wig right off that hideous mother, even when I see her giving her son a tongue bath on a commercial - what is with that 'spat out' kind of speaking, anyway? only the daughter seems to talk normally.). I did hate/like 'New Adventures of Old Christine' but it doesn't show up till 3 or 4 a.m. I will watch re-runs of 'Everybody Loves Raymond', 'King of Queens', and early episodes of 'Two and A Half Men', just because they are soothing background noise as I try to relax and drift off to sleep. (seen 'em all a billion times).

Last edited by salinqmind; 01-02-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Just finished The Neighbor from Netflix. Basically The Greatest Spanish Hero.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:59 AM

I enjoy watching Perfect Harmony it somehow manages to balance nicely between insulting rural life and singing its praises. The music is inoffensive and most episodes make me chuckle once or twice.

I was watching Sunnyside but apparently it was canceled on broadcast after 4 episodes and they just streamed the last episode before the christmas break. I totally get why it wasn't a success, it was way to political, but it was funny. The characters were just stereotypes but they were funny.

The Good Place is awesome and doesn't belong in this thread. .
Old 01-07-2020, 03:49 PM

Another vote for King of Queens, very drab and yet still very watchable.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
We watched it too- it was surprisingly enjoyable and funny.
We really enjoyed The Kids are Alright, also. We were sorry to see it not renewed.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:28 PM

Brooklyn 99 is our current binge. I find it to be hilarious, although a bit ridiculous. Not high-brow humor, and not at all a realistic cop show. But very easy to watch and get a few good belly laughs out of.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:39 PM

the Detour is hilarious. I am watching past episodes on hulu... and Superstore is pretty good too.

Last edited by flaming yawn; 01-11-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:16 AM

Saw some ads for Schooled, so we watched the first season of that, and are now working our way through The Goldbergs. My husband's from greater Philadelphia area, and we're the same age as the real-life Barry Goldberg, so we get a lot of the jokes.

Brooklyn 99 is also entertaining.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:42 AM

You better bet your ass that I will pay attention when someone puts on Fuller House. It is much better without the Olsen twins.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:48 AM

The Good Place, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and maybe Mom (I've only seen a few episodes) are way too good to be mentioned in this thread.

Perfect Harmony is exactly what the OP was looking for. It's not actually bad, but it's not good enough that I would recommend it to anyone. Watching it is a pleasant experience, nothing more and nothing less.

I would second Single Parents and the late Sunnyside.

I've enjoyed the few episodes I've seen of What We Do in the Shadows, but I haven't had any urge to watch another one for months, so I guess that makes it fit as well.

Entertainment Weekly keeps putting The Other Two on its Top Ten lists, but it's nowhere near that good. It is pleasant, though.

My wife loved Ramy, but while I find it interesting given my total lack of experience with that world, I don't think it's all that funny. Does interesting + not very funny = pleasant?
Old 01-12-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I think Brooklyn 99 falls into the great category.

Brian
Old 01-12-2020, 10:07 AM

Life in Pieces. I still like all the characters, which is something I can no longer say about Modern Family.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I liked Life in Pieces also, but you may not be aware that it ended its run in June 2019. (For those not familiar, it's a bit like Modern Family in that it's about an extended family but each half-hour episode actually has four separate stories that are told one after the other. Generally, they're not connected.)
Old 01-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
I think Brooklyn 99 falls into the great category.

Brian
It does. I cannot stand Andy Samberg, but he's okay here, and everybody else is at least okay, with Andre Braugher and Terry Crews their usual wonderful and Stephanie Beatriz being the light of my life.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Agree about "Life In Pieces". One of my favorite bits was the one where Diane Wiest was counseling some guy through depression, talking about the warning signs, intercut with scenes from home where she is ignoring the exact same warning signs from her Roomba, which winds up flinging itself down the stairs and killing itself. Very well done and totally hilarious.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I liked Life in Pieces also, but you may not be aware that it ended its run in June 2019.
Thatís a shame. I was a nice weekly diversion.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
The Good Place is awesome and doesn't belong in this thread. .
I've heard much praise for The Good Place, so I'm not surprised to read your opinion. I would put it here, though. The first few episodes were excellent, but I feel like the quality dropped off pretty quickly. Still watchable (I love Janet's character!) but definitely in a "I-need-a-short-inoffensive-show-to-help-me-unwind" way.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:14 AM

I watched the first couple episodes of Mythic Quest and thought of this thread. Starring Rob McElhenney and also bringing in Charlie Day and Megan Ganz (writer for Always Sunny) as executive producers.

Workplace comedy about a studio running the world's largest online roleplaying game. Every now and then, you catch a flash of Always Sunny... humor but it's mostly a benign comedy that gives me one good laugh, a few chuckles and a general feeling of "Eh, I'll watch another". But it sort of belongs on Apple TV and you're not missing anything if you skip it.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:24 AM

Modern Family (it's the final season and I'm just loyal to a fault)

Single Parents - I want Douglass' twin girls to get their own show.

The Neighborhood - Cedric the Entertainer and Beth Behrs - cute and kinda funny at times.

The Conners - it's a bit better this season, still think Lecy Goranson (Becky) steals the show.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:47 PM

Peep Show on Prime is alright. Essentially British Odd Couple, much of the humor is in the narration of English cultural anxiety. Super Hands is awesome.
Workaholics on Prime as well. If you like Always Sunny, this is your kind of show.
Scream Queens on Hulu was a recent discovery, like AHS Coven and what AHS 1984 should have been. Just over the top campy.
Letterkenny on Hulu, similar to The Red Green Show and Northern Exposure. Kind of a skit show from a fictitious small town in Canada.

Last edited by Sitnam; 02-10-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykoSkotty View Post
The Conners - it's a bit better this season, still think Lecy Goranson (Becky) steals the show.
Wife was a big fan of the underappreciated First Becky. Second Becky was more my style.

Last edited by dropzone; 02-10-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 AM

Old 02-11-2020, 12:17 PM

Has anyone seen the new show (I see it on Hulu, not sure which network or if it's an original) called Everything is Going to be Okay? I can't decide if I love it or hate it. I started it for the autistic character and I think for the most part she's an accurate representation, and I love the interaction between her and her sister but the older/half brother, there is just something I really do not like about him. And everything about him must be about how very gay he is.

I keep hoping it will get better. I guess I'll settle with "okay" though. Which I suppose is what the title offers.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:57 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Peep Show on Prime is alright. Essentially British Odd Couple, much of the humor is in the narration of English cultural anxiety. Super Hands is awesome.
Workaholics on Prime as well. If you like Always Sunny, this is your kind of show.
Scream Queens on Hulu was a recent discovery, like AHS Coven and what AHS 1984 should have been. Just over the top campy.
Letterkenny on Hulu, similar to The Red Green Show and Northern Exposure. Kind of a skit show from a fictitious small town in Canada.

Huh. Peep Show and Letterkenny are two of my favorite shows of all time.