Old 01-24-2020, 02:47 PM

Caught up on this season last night. During Orphan 55, did anyone else think that Bella was going to be all in Ryan's head? We meet her right after Ryan starts hallucinating and she doesn't interacting with any other characters until halfway through the ep. Not that I would want anyone to go rewatch it, but if you do, it honestly looks like the writers were going to go with that twist and then changed their mind.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
But the last ep?

I can imagine some range in that one. Some greater irritation at Edison, both at his lack of actual inventiveness and at the unfairness at knowing that he becomes the one rich and remembered while Tesla dies penniless and largely forgotten. Something other than a continued hypomanic response ... maybe something slowly measured, clearly controlling a reaction, to the Scorpion Queen's flippant ask if The Doctor, wit the current destroyed Gallifry arc in place and just after seeing destroyed Earth, has ever seen a destroyed planet. Some depth of some sort, any sort, to the traditional giving a chance to leave peacefully and then knowing that they will now be destroyed stating that they will just be forgotten ... disgust, anger, pity, something other than the same fish-fingers-and-custard affect.

I know she's got the chops for it, so I blame the directing.
I never saw Broadchurch, so I went to YouTube to watch clips of Whittaker in a dramatic role. Yes, she can do drama - Chibs et al. need to give her the chance.

(Side note: I knew David Tennant was the lead in Broadchurch, but I was pleasantly surprised to see Arthur Darvill as an Anglican vicar. He's very good at playing slightly awkward but fundamentally decent Englishmen.)
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 01-26-2020, 05:41 PM

A lot happens in tonight's episode. Like, A LOT.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Boy howdy!
Old 01-26-2020, 10:30 PM

Now that’s some Who!

Several turns that were not the turns I was expecting and some broader range.

I’m still not feeling the fam connection with the gang though.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
A lot happens in tonight's episode. Like, A LOT.
That was A LOT
Old 01-27-2020, 04:21 AM

Yeah, that was a great episode. I don't see previews, so every twist was a surprise to me. I especially liked it when Graham was taken high to a special island. (Though he seems a bit agey for an immortal.)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:39 AM

The new episode was summed up well by my wife. "That was the best one of Jodie's time and, I'm sorry to say, because the companions weren't in it much." I have to agree. Sadly. Even the ending didn't really redeem it and I think they need to ditch two of them and give all companion lines to one. Again, it's the writing, not the actors.

I loved the appearance [spoilers]. I liked that they are hinting at bigger things. That part has been done well so I'm hopeful on how that reveal will happen.

Obviously when a show goes as long as Doctor Who has, there are going to be ups and downs. I think Moffat had the best scenes and as a guest writer, was brilliant. I don't think he did seasons and arcs very well. Chibnall seems all over the place. (I know he didn't write everything but I'm still putting it on him.) A good scene there, a good episode there, but overall lower. At the moment, RTD seems the best for me. He kept adventures lower key, focused on the Doctor, and his companions were there to help, and it gelled well.

Quote:
Doctor Who has usually centered around the Doctor but not all eras have gone that route, starting in the late '70s. never mind that when Doctor Who first came out in 1963. it had an ensemble cast with the Doctor as the most important character, but not the "main" character. the Doctor got more and more prominent with time, in part because the audience fell in love with him.
Yeah, here's where I'm going to have to politely disagree.

Even back in the 60s, it was said that the companions served the role of asking, "What is it, Doctor" so that the Doctor could show off his knowledge. If anything, having the ensemble cast was typical for SciFi of that era, and after having a non human main character, they didn't want to change the established SciFi formula that much.

I think Sarah Jane was the most popular companion of Original Who and the show never felt like it centered on her. Certainly not in the sense of the Ponds or Clara. Sarah Jane may have stumbled into something due to being a reporter but she always needed the Doctor to save her from the alien menace in his show.

The best that could be said was that by the 70s and through the 80s, they were writing the companions better and still letting the Doctor figure it all out. Jo Grant was not the smartest companion but she knew it and it worked well to let Pertwee's Doctor shine. Ace never tried to figure it out, just blow it up, and it worked well. At no time, though, could they have been center stage.

Quote:
I can imagine some range in that one. Some greater irritation at Edison, both at his lack of actual inventiveness and at the unfairness at knowing that he becomes the one rich and remembered while Tesla dies penniless and largely forgotten. Something other than a continued hypomanic response ... maybe something slowly measured, clearly controlling a reaction, to the Scorpion Queen's flippant ask if The Doctor, wit the current destroyed Gallifry arc in place and just after seeing destroyed Earth, has ever seen a destroyed planet. Some depth of some sort, any sort, to the traditional giving a chance to leave peacefully and then knowing that they will now be destroyed stating that they will just be forgotten ... disgust, anger, pity, something other than the same fish-fingers-and-custard affect.

I know she's got the chops for it, so I blame the directing.
I feel like they have dialed back any attempt at subtle. I don't know why as all the actors could do it but the production is not pushing them at all.

Quote:
the master class in nonverbal acting that Alex Kingston and Peter Capaldi put on in the "Hello, sweetie" scene of "The Husbands of River Song", for example).
This. Oh, so much this! Well said! That was Capaldi's best episode and he and Kingston nailed it.

Obviously, still watching it and this gem was worth it! And the discussion here as I keep coming back for that, too! Thanks!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
The new episode was summed up well by my wife. "That was the best one of Jodie's time and, I'm sorry to say, because the companions weren't in it much." I have to agree. Sadly. Even the ending didn't really redeem it and I think they need to ditch two of them and give all companion lines to one. Again, it's the writing, not the actors.
100% agree and keep saying to my wife, "Kill two of the companions and let her travel with just one person."

I can't help but think they feel Jodie Whittaker needs more people around her for some reason. I hate the triple companion situation.

I could not believe Jack had ZERO scenes with The Doctor. Rip off!!
Old 01-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, in retrospect that whole bit with Jack was a bit strange. The set was actually extremely minimal. Jack never interacted with the actual Doctor. It's like when they weren't using the companions for the scenes with the Doctor and Ruth they shipped the companions out to a warehouse with a stage set, brought in Barrowman, and shot a few scenes for use later down the line. Really, until the very end those scenes really aren't connected with what's going on in the main storyline.

I did enjoy those scenes, and his interaction with the companions. It was clearly to introduce something that will be addressed down the line.

I think this episode is the best of the Whittaker era so far. Now, if they can just keep it up....
Old 01-28-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I think Sarah Jane was the most popular companion of Original Who and the show never felt like it centered on her. Certainly not in the sense of the Ponds or Clara. Sarah Jane may have stumbled into something due to being a reporter but she always needed the Doctor to save her from the alien menace in his show.

The best that could be said was that by the 70s and through the 80s, they were writing the companions better and still letting the Doctor figure it all out. Jo Grant was not the smartest companion but she knew it and it worked well to let Pertwee's Doctor shine. Ace never tried to figure it out, just blow it up, and it worked well. At no time, though, could they have been center stage.
The Brig had his moments.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
The Brig had his moments.
Oh, absolutely! As did Benton and Mike! Not trying to take away from them.

"Three rounds, rapid."

I think that the military had a more defined role and were used better than the traveling companions. It was obvious what they would say or do. It's the "what is it, Doctor" that needed to be refined.

Thanks!

Last edited by vislor; 01-28-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
It's like when they weren't using the companions for the scenes with the Doctor and Ruth they shipped the companions out to a warehouse with a stage set, brought in Barrowman, and shot a few scenes for use later down the line.
They probably did. At least it is a step up from Orphan 55--they could have met him completely off-screen and just told about it.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Oh, absolutely! As did Benton and Mike! Not trying to take away from them.

"Three rounds, rapid."
"Chap with wings. Five rounds, rapid"

"UNIT's been very busy, Doctor. We've also got high-explosive rounds for Yeti's and very efficient armour-piercing rounds for robots. And we've even got gold-tipped bullets for you know what. "
Old 01-28-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Chibnall seems all over the place. (I know he didn't write everything but I'm still putting it on him.) A good scene there, a good episode there, but overall lower.
I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the opening credits. Even the new music seems to not have the same driving, building feeling of the older versions. It builds for a few beats then trips over itsself and looses all momentum.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM

Thoughts about Ruth...

SPOILER:
We know there are multiple universes. Maybe Ruth is a Doctor from one of them, possibly the one with the new Cybermen, which would tie in with Jack's warning. Also, I prefer her to Jodie Whittaker's Doctor, and agree with Ruth's assessment of her outfit.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
Thoughts about Ruth...

SPOILER:
We know there are multiple universes. Maybe Ruth is a Doctor from one of them, possibly the one with the new Cybermen, which would tie in with Jack's warning. Also, I prefer her to Jodie Whittaker's Doctor, and agree with Ruth's assessment of her outfit.
My thoughts:
SPOILER:
I think it's all going to come back to the Master's line about "nothing you see is real." I don't think either the new Doctor or the destruction of Gallifrey are going to end up being real (at least not in the current Doctor's timeline).
Old 01-28-2020, 02:47 PM

Another idea about Ruth...

SPOILER:
It's interesting that she's working as a tour guide. The Doctor sometimes seems like one to his companions, at least until the monster shows up.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:20 PM

God, I hope it doesn’t turn out that the Doctor and the Master are the same person.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Is it bad I like the new Doctor better than Jodie Whittaker's? It's more a presence than any one things. Ruth-Doctor just felt like she was the smartest person in the room and is in charge, much like the Doctor often feels. Whittaker never feels this way.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Is it bad I like the new Doctor better than Jodie Whittaker's? It's more a presence than any one things. Ruth-Doctor just felt like she was the smartest person in the room and is in charge, much like the Doctor often feels. Whittaker never feels this way.
You're not the only one. When she showed up right behind WhittakerDoc and said, "You're probably a bit confused right now", I thought: Bingo! That's the Doctor.

Her banter in the TARDIS, too, felt very Doctorish. Very Capaldian.
“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 01-28-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Thought Ruth was more Pertwee myself, but yes, I can see Ruth as the Doctor.

I'm thinking alternate universe/timeline.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:05 AM

Missy did say

SPOILER:
that the Doctor had been a "little girl" and two other things I've forgotten, and then said one of those things was true.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
Missy did say

SPOILER:
that the Doctor had been a "little girl" and two other things I've forgotten, and then said one of those things was true.
Here's the quote from Missy (about how long she had cared about the Doctor)

SPOILER:
"Since always. Since the Cloister Wars. Since the night he stole the moon and the President's wife. Since he was a little girl. One of those was a lie. Can you guess which one?"
Old 01-29-2020, 08:43 PM

I guess they feel they are clever because they can retcon whatever they want now that they ran the show into the ground so no one is watching.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Yup, three pages so far of people not watching.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:09 PM

Hey! Look at the ratings for The Woman Who Fell to Earth!

down
down
down
down
down
down
down (each down being about a million viewers)

Pretty bad?
Yeah.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadementia View Post
Hey! Look at the ratings for The Woman Who Fell to Earth!

down
down
down
down
down
down
down (each down being about a million viewers)

Pretty bad?
Yeah.
...from one of your cites:

Quote:
Sunday's episode, "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror," was only watched by 4.04 million viewers in the UK.

We have to go way back to Season 23 of September, 1986 to see a lesser amount of viewers as "The Mysterious Planet" Part Four only had 3.7 million viewers tuning in.
Those are the overnight ratings. The figures used for the Mysterious Planet are equivalent to the consolidated ratings. The Witches Familiar from the Capaldi era only had 3.71 viewers overnight, which in case you hadn't noticed is both less than 4.04 million and more recent than 1986. Your cites are bad. Tesla had a consolidated rating of 5.2. https://www.gallifreyannewsroom.com/?p=9521.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:41 AM

Look at the rankings, which are tanking.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ratings are not recorded the same way today as they used to be. Also all ratings are down on every network and every show across the board. You can't really compare one-to-one as easily as people so often like to do.

The show was reset when Thirteen started, it's a new kind of Doctor Who for a new young contemporary audience. Episodes you dislike can often be the favourite episode for the kids. It's okay to not like the show anymore. It's not necessarily meant for you this time around. There's no need to be gleefully vindictive all the time. If it's not delivering for you, move on, and leave it for those who are still enjoying it.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
..."tanking" is a subjective descriptor not an objective one. Two of your cites you provided don't provided provide accurate data or data useful enough for comparison: the Deadline article only used the overnights and Cosmicbook? Its the same site that publishes nonsense like this and pro-co@#gate articles like this.

Plenty of people are watching. Viewership has declined, but to claim they have "tanked" just doesn't fit the data. And bringing back Jack will probably give a bump to the consolidated that may well last the rest of the season.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:07 PM

I’ve enjoyed all the episodes this season apart from Orphan 55, which felt like they’d finished filming the season, then realised they’d filmed one less episode than intended, so just cobbled any old bollocks together on the cheap to make up for it. To be fair, Who always has episodes like this every season (though not quite as bad as that). There’s a wide demographic of Doctor Who viewers just in the UK - i always think that’s the reason it can be so hit and miss. Early on in O55 I thought, with that terrible furry costume and the fake blue skies (while a cold blustery wind is clearly blowing the characters hair all over the place), that this was going to be some interesting pastiche of oldWho. But no. It was just rubbish.

I’m pretty happy enough if I enjoy 50% of the episodes in a season, so really this season is turning out pretty good so far.

OB

Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 01-30-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
Plenty of people are watching. Viewership has declined, but to claim they have "tanked" just doesn't fit the data. And bringing back Jack will probably give a bump to the consolidated that may well last the rest of the season.
Let's not forget that the program is also on BBC America, where ratings are up for this season.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-02-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Ratings are not recorded the same way today as they used to be. Also all ratings are down on every network and every show across the board. You can't really compare one-to-one as easily as people so often like to do.
Rankings compared to other shows that it is currently up against. But, you'll look at things the way you want.

Quote:
The show was reset when Thirteen started,
I didn't get that memo. Strange they are using the name of an old show, or didn't even add "Now with 200% more companions!" to the title. Seems Capaldi went through all that soul searching and a fiery regeneration for nothing.
Odd you''re not calling Whittaker number one then. Although, given the potential retcon she may not even get that.

Quote:
it's a new kind of Doctor Who for a new young contemporary audience. Episodes you dislike can often be the favourite episode for the kids. It's okay to not like the show anymore. It's not necessarily meant for you this time around. There's no need to be gleefully vindictive all the time. If it's not delivering for you, move on, and leave it for those who are still enjoying it.
That's funny, because I would give the same advice. When they make a terrible show, you don't have to watch it. You're not obliged to keep watching. Millions have figured that out and given up. You're free to tell the truth. When it's great, say it's great. When it stinks it's ok to say it stinks

Believe it or not there was a time when criticizing The Simpsons would get you into a flame war. This was back in Usenet days. Most people didn't want to recognize that there was a dip in quality. Back then it was only a dip in quality, but it has been degrading ever since. The Simpsons actually have a harder time of it too since they are stuck with never having their kids grow-up where as show like Doctor who has so much more freedom.

The old "It's a kids show! It'st not meant for you! Bugger off and let the poor kids alone to watch it!" is the last defensive of an indefensible show. First, this isn't a forum for kids. Second, kids don't really have any say in what is made and have limited choice of appropriate material. Although, the last paragraph of this is funny enough.
Most of the worst garbage is made to the tune of "it's only a kids show."
Unless I'm wrong about all this and it is a bunch of children writing the scripts. I'll say good job then, but actually would have expected better.

It's ok to tell the truth, and if it isn't ok, then that's your real problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
..."tanking" is a subjective descriptor not an objective one. Two of your cites you provided don't provided provide accurate data or data useful enough for comparison: the Deadline article only used the overnights and Cosmicbook? Its the same site that publishes nonsense like this and pro-co@#gate articles like this.

Jack was there for a whole few seconds. So far he may as well have been a floating head.

I'm surprised to be in an argument about this, because there isn't one.
Introducing Whittaker brought in a huge increase in ratings, unless you want to dispute that also.
It didn't retain them.
The best spin you can put on it is that the viewers didn't drop off the very next episode. It was a steady decline.
Of course, that may also be the worst spin on it. People really wanted to like it but it lost them.
Or it lost as many as it gained in the end. If it comes back then bully for Who. No one want's it to fail, not that you'd know by the people making it.

Last edited by Aquadementia; 02-02-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I didn't get that memo.
...perhaps you simply don't watch enough Doctor Who. There is always a reset between Doctors, between Showrunners. We've gone from spaceships crashing into Big Ben to everyone not believing aliens exist. Again. You just need to roll with it.

Quote:
Jack was there for a whole few seconds.
This is incorrect.

Quote:
So far he may as well have been a floating head.
People don't react like this to the return of a floating head. I mean: you didn't scream and whoop and holler when you saw Captain Jack again for the first time in years?

Quote:
I'm surprised to be in an argument about this, because there isn't one.
And yet here you are, arguing.

Quote:
Introducing Whittaker brought in a huge increase in ratings, unless you want to dispute that also.
It didn't retain them.
In Tennant's run the first episode had overnights of 8.62 million. The fourth episode of his second season had overnights of 6.69 million. Tennant didn't "retain" his viewership either by your standards.

Quote:
The best spin you can put on it is that the viewers didn't drop off the very next episode. It was a steady decline.
6.69 wasn't the lowest that Tennant would go. It got even worse. The lowest overnights of that season? Episode 10. A little episode that nobody has heard of called Blink. A. Steady. Decline.

Quote:
Of course, that may also be the worst spin on it. People really wanted to like it but it lost them.
Yeah. Blink. Terrible Doctor Who. People really wanted to like it but it lost them.

Quote:
Or it lost as many as it gained in the end. If it comes back then bully for Who. No one want's it to fail, not that you'd know by the people making it.
Nobody wants it to fail: especially the people who are making it, and there is zero reason to think that they are. But you've just made it obvious that this Doctor Who isn't for you but that's okay.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Not to interrupt, but did anyone see tonight's episode?
Old 02-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Ryan has dyspraxia.

Has this come up outside the first episode he appeared in where he struggled to keep a bicylcle upright? Did they forget about it?
Old 02-02-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Ryan has dyspraxia.

Has this come up outside the first episode he appeared in where he struggled to keep a bicylcle upright? Did they forget about it?
In the Tesla episode, when the gang had to jump from one train car to another, everyone made the jump easily, but Ryan hesitated. I took that to be an acknowledgement of the dyspraxia.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

He also mentions heights and a few other precarious situations he's been in. I don't really know how the condition manifests in real life, it seems very context-specific like my own fear of heights, where I am okay going up elevators and standing on high floors of skyscrapers, and also can fly in a plane just fine, but put me on a cliff edge or up a tree and I will lock up and panic.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:09 PM

Okay ep. The heavy handed environmental messaging took me out some.

And I do hope she
SPOILER:
let the aliens sent to deadly cure know it would kill them and maybe helped them some.

I keep thinking the guest travelers would be more fun than what we’ve got but some Companion growth this week anyway.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Yeah, that was a great episode. I don't see previews, so every twist was a surprise to me.
they kept the big surprises of the previews, so you wouldn't've known anyway.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Okay ep. The heavy handed environmental messaging took me out some.
you have to wonder why the aliens of the week acted that way. pretty good episode, though. as of "Fugitive of the Judoon" (last week's episode) I have, to my own surprise, started to like Doctor Who again. Chibnall's writing improves drastically when he has a collaborator.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
In the Tesla episode, when the gang had to jump from one train car to another, everyone made the jump easily, but Ryan hesitated. I took that to be an acknowledgement of the dyspraxia.
I found out that I had dyspraxia Ryan had it, so I feel thankful for that. at the same time, I don't like how they handle it. the emotional effect of it they handle realistically. but a realistic portrayal of dyspraxia would include: slowing down the others in a plot-relevant way because he can't run as fast as they can. dropping and smashing things. knocking over things and alerting the villains, etc. it seems that they fear to do the un-PC thing of presenting a disability as... a disability. my dyspraxia doesn't affect my motor coordination that much but then I also don't do the dramatic things that Ryan does every week that depend on having an average or above-average level of motor control.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
He also mentions heights and a few other precarious situations he's been in. I don't really know how the condition manifests in real life, it seems very context-specific like my own fear of heights, where I am okay going up elevators and standing on high floors of skyscrapers, and also can fly in a plane just fine, but put me on a cliff edge or up a tree and I will lock up and panic.
I have dyspraxia. I have a physical disability, not a mental one. it doesn't appear or disappear except that, like anybody else, I find it harder to do things that I haven't done before and, again like anyone else, I have more of a problem if I didn't get a good night's sleep or feel tired. if you want to find out about it, do a web search, please don't just speculate. learn about it, if it interests you.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:41 PM

The last two episodes were both good, with last week's perhaps the best one of Whittaker's run so far. This week finally used the companions in some sensible way, and the Doctor felt more Doctor-ish than the whole season so far.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:43 AM

So in "Praxeus", the gas-mask wearing alien looked a bit like a primitive Cyberman, and the Doctor said something about the gas mask not coming off. Was that just misdirection, or suggestive of a connection with the Cybermen?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
So in "Praxeus", the gas-mask wearing alien looked a bit like a primitive Cyberman, and the Doctor said something about the gas mask not coming off. Was that just misdirection, or suggestive of a connection with the Cybermen?
I haven't seen the episode yet, but it sounds like a reference to "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" way back in Season 1.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I haven't seen the episode yet, but it sounds like a reference to "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" way back in Season 1.
There was another reference to that episode in the one before, where Jack Harkness apparently struggles against some Nanogenes. The Nanogenes turned the people into the gasmask-ghouls, so maybe there's a connection with a kind of Cyberman-virus/Nanogene?
Old 02-04-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Yeah, in retrospect that whole bit with Jack was a bit strange. The set was actually extremely minimal. Jack never interacted with the actual Doctor. It's like when they weren't using the companions for the scenes with the Doctor and Ruth they shipped the companions out to a warehouse with a stage set, brought in Barrowman, and shot a few scenes for use later down the line. Really, until the very end those scenes really aren't connected with what's going on in the main storyline.
I had the felling that Barrowman was never even in the same room with any of the companion actors either, like he came in for a day of green-screen work and they cut everything together later. Still, it was fun to see Captain Jack, and I hope this wasn't a one-time deal.

"Praxeus" was definitely better than "Orphan 55," but it was the second episode of the last three with a preachy environmental message. I don't want the show to become about that. If it turns out Gallifrey is dead because they ignored the signs of global warming, I'm out.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I had the felling that Barrowman was never even in the same room with any of the companion actors either, like he came in for a day of green-screen work and they cut everything together later.
Not even when Jack kissed Graham?