Old 02-04-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Not even when Jack kissed Graham?
I forgot about that bit, so maybe I'm wrong.
Though most of his scenes consisted of Jack by the control panel/console thingy, while the companions stood six to ten feet away. It seemed like weird, stilted blocking to me.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 PM

Latest one was...okay. But since they had the finger flinger, they should have gone all the way and given the other one boob rockets.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:32 PM

I have to say, for the first time, I disappointed in the season. I blame Chibnall, as EP and head writer. I still find a few things I like but it's getting fewer and far between.

I'm so disappointed that I only watched last week's, since we missed it, and didn't want to catch up because of how bad I thought it was. Yes, how they wrote the "other Doctor" in Fugitive of the Judoon was how they should have written Jody. She has shown she can do that, commanding presence but still quirky, and they don't do it for her.

SciFi makes us think, should make us think, and it can be preachy. I don't think Praxeus handled the message well. It was too obvious. Again, I blame the writing. When asked if this was their future, the Doctor could have said they have a choice and they know how powerful one person could be. (Would have been a nice exit for a companion. Ah, well.) I did like seeing Ryan and Yaz being more confident, though.

Maybe tonight we will watch the latest episode.

I can say it's turning me off Chibnall. I don't have any interest in seeing his other shows.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:56 PM

I still have yet to watch part 2 of the season opener, let alone the rest of the season. I just keep reading all these reviews from a variety of sources that make me not want to catch up. I so don't want to be disappointed. So there they sit on my DVR collecting dust.

And dammit, I love Jodie Whitaker!

Last edited by Personal; 02-10-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
Maybe tonight we will watch the latest episode.
Please do. The Doctor really demonstrates a commanding presence at the end, outsmarting a couple of quasi-Q no less!
Old 02-10-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

IMHO, the most recent episode could have been a Troughton story with a few technological changes.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-10-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Please do. The Doctor really demonstrates a commanding presence at the end, outsmarting a couple of quasi-Q no less!
Very, very, very easily defeating them on the first try in the last minutes of the episode.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

They weren't prepared.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Very, very, very easily defeating them on the first try in the last minutes of the episode.
Good ep but yeah too easily solved given the alleged power of the villains. I was expecting some twist on her boredom with eternity as part of the solution.

Was his discussion about The Guardians ( playing on the same board) something that foreshadows?
Old 02-10-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Good ep but yeah too easily solved given the alleged power of the villains. I was expecting some twist on her boredom with eternity as part of the solution.

Was his discussion about The Guardians ( playing on the same board) something that foreshadows?
The Guardians and the Celestial Toymakers were both mentioned.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:41 PM

It started out as a good creepy episode until the weirdly quick and unexplained dispatching of what was presented as a powerful villain. I kept waiting for some twist.

So far this season has had one good episode. The Judoon one. The writing on all the others has been terrible.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 02-10-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:58 AM

I am caught up.

It was better and started out great but as EoD said, it ended quickly and almost easily.

I think there are two main problems that I have with Chibnall's writing.

In the last episode, she's holding something but it doesn't exist. No. Wrong. It's what annoyed me about the opener. If you perceive it, it should exist and be able to be measured. So, the fur/hair that she found? To me, it's really lame that they fall back on "it doesn't exist in the TARDIS databanks" so it doesn't exist. Give us the basic things you have scanned about it and then say it's an unknown configuration. It almost matches A,B, or C but not quite. Or say that even though it looked like E the hair is from F to give the Doctor the clues needed to realize what is going on.

Things keep getting bigger and trying to get higher and higher stakes. And when that does, it loses me. The Doctor is not going to let Earth, much less some bigger area of spacetime, be destroyed. (It's the same trap Moffat fell into with both Doctor Who and the final season of Sherlock.) Give us a good, solid mystery with an old adversary or introduce something on a small scale. Make us care about the extra characters so that if they die, we feel the loss. The extra guy at the lab in Praxeus died and I felt nothing about him being gone or dead. "In 900 years, I have never met anyone who wasn't important." We lose that.

This is the reason that I don't like three companions. I don't feel particularly connected to any of the episodes characters when the companions fill in the gap for all of the guests. With the recent changes in Yaz, I would like her and the Doctor to have their own adventures. Nothing against the other two, but Yaz really stepped up and I liked that. Then we still see Yaz grow, the Doctor can shine, and we get memorable secondary characters that we want to see more about them.

It's like they don't know how to write high level adventures and so have to dumb everything down. But then I feel it dumbs down the Doctor waaaaayyy too much. Further, it dilutes the solution as well. The male god was being very careful ... and then lost all intelligence, assumed he was better, monologued, and was easily trapped. That felt cheap, not worthy of the Doctor. It was play by play the evil villain handbook for failure.

Having said that, I found my usual good things. Overall, the episode was fine. I liked the callbacks to the many adversaries of the past, like eternals, guardians, celestial toymaker, and so on. Until we know what the man is, his scenes were nicely creepy. I did like the animation with explanation of the two rather than just exposition. So, some good things but it's just not there yet.

Thanks for the discussion!
Old 02-15-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vislor View Post
In the last episode, she's holding something but it doesn't exist. No. Wrong. It's what annoyed me about the opener. If you perceive it, it should exist and be able to be measured. So, the fur/hair that she found? To me, it's really lame that they fall back on "it doesn't exist in the TARDIS databanks" so it doesn't exist. Give us the basic things you have scanned about it and then say it's an unknown configuration. It almost matches A,B, or C but not quite. Or say that even though it looked like E the hair is from F to give the Doctor the clues needed to realize what is going on.
it didn't exist because the girl had hallucinated the monster into existence (with the help from Zellin, probably).
Old 02-17-2020, 12:42 AM

Today's another good one that avoided the too easy or cliche solution. And a bit more acting range allowed for Whittaker. That said she did less with the opportunity than I had thought she would.

I hope the follow up finale stays at this level or better.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Last night's was pretty good (I guessed who the historical personages would be as soon as they named the location).

I do think they missed a chance. The story should have had far stronger links to Frankenstein. They were tenuous, and only lightly touched on the themes of the novel.

Two things from previous episode.

1. The mysterious new Doctor could be the Rani. It's unlikely Chibnell will go that way, but it fits, and the Rani was willing to impersonate the Doctors companion, so why not the real thing? There's also the Meddling Monk. Neither has shown up in New Who yet.

2. There's some controversy about how the Doctor reacted to Graham relating his fears two weeks ago. I don't see the issue. The Doctor has generally not big on expressing feeling and often merely telling someone your fears is enough to alleviate them. Note, too, that the doctor acknowledged Graham's fears as valid, but showed that she had no idea what to say to him. I was in that position once and could think of nothing to say, but the person who told me thanked me and said I had really helped her.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 02-17-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:44 PM

A very Doctor moment, I thought:

Quote:
Sometimes this team structure isnít flat. Itís mountainous with me at the summit, in the stratosphere, alone. Left to choose.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
A very Doctor moment, I thought:
Yeah. That's some classic Time Lord arrogance.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:10 AM

I was trying to think who the Cyberman reminded me of and it finally came to me - Adam from Season 4 Buffy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_(...Vampire_Slayer)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanas.com View Post
it didn't exist because the girl had hallucinated the monster into existence (with the help from Zellin, probably).
But, again, it did exist. She could touch it, scan it, see it. It also existed because it killed people. It didn't exist in the TARDIS data banks but why not? That goes back to the readings. It looks like A and B but those don't fit anything known compared to no information at all.

Latest episode.

Not knowing or read Frankenstein, I only saw a few connections and agree maybe it could have been tighter. And I'm not sure that they left it where she was going to write it down?

See, that's the problem at times. If aliens are the reason for human things, then it detracts from humanity and the achievements we have done. I don't think you want that. So, things like this have to handled carefully. I think The Wasp and the Unicorn is a much better example of working a historical figure and what they created into it. If they had already been writing and MS complained about where to go or how to do something, then the adventure could have nudged her without taking away her creativity.

I did enjoy it and yes to the Doctor's arrogance. It is up to her to make the decision. I'm hoping that having the Cyberium in her for a time means that she was able to plant a few things to stop something later. I will see.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming finale.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I was trying to think who the Cyberman reminded me of and it finally came to me - Adam from Season 4 Buffy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_(...Vampire_Slayer)
Yes! I had that thought as well. We did have a Colin Baker's Doctor Cyberman story where people are partially changed and fighting it but can only last so long before they lose. I do think the Cyberman was a reasonable adversary and handled mostly well. Mainly because I'm curious and have more questions. What caused the damage? Is the last one and that's why he needs the Cyberium, to start up the Cyberman again?

And I don't want all of the answers so that he stays a mystery!

Thanks for the discussion!
Old 02-18-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post

Two things from previous episode.

1. The mysterious new Doctor could be the Rani. It's unlikely Chibnell will go that way, but it fits, and the Rani was willing to impersonate the Doctors companion, so why not the real thing? There's also the Meddling Monk. Neither has shown up in New Who yet.
I wonder if the new Doctor might be Romana? She hasn't shown up in New Who either.

The trailer for next week's episode showed a character who looked (with dark hair, not red) and sounded like Donna Noble.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:03 PM

I'm not sure exactly, but the rules of time travel on Doctor Who (such as they are) never really did include the whole 'careful what you do in the past so as not to erase yourself out of existence', did they?

Also, I want a bit of a moratorium on meeting historical celebrities. '900 years of time and space, and I never met someone who wasn't important. Because I mean, why visit those guys when you've got the who's who in time and space to choose from?'

Other than that, though, I'm very glad that the show's quality has been picking up the second half of this season.

Also, people have been talking about the finale next week, but IMDb shows two more episodes coming up?
Old 02-18-2020, 04:11 PM

It's a two part finale.