Old 01-02-2020, 04:21 PM

BBC One's Dracula - seen it?

I'm looking forward to BBC One's new Dracula series. It's developed by Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffatt. I've tried to research just when it'll be shown in the U.S., but so far have had no luck finding this out.

Has anyone seen it? What do you think?
Old 01-02-2020, 04:38 PM

It's going to be shown on Netflix on Saturday.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:04 AM
Charter Member

Seen the first (of 3) episode - abso-bally-lutely brilliant. What a a pleasure! Don't want to spoil it at all so let me just point you to the Guardian review here.
No spoilers in the review, but there are in the readers comments.
Top Nun!
Old 01-03-2020, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's going to be shown on Netflix on Saturday.
There's a trailer on Netflix titled "Dracula: Season 1" which looks really good but it says that it's a Netflix original series and says nothing about the BBC. Is this the same thing?

It does say "from the makers of Sherlock" which indicates a British connection.

Last edited by davidm; 01-03-2020 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
There's a trailer on Netflix titled "Dracula: Season 1" which looks really good but it says that it's a Netflix original series and says nothing about the BBC. Is this the same thing?

It does say "from the makers of Sherlock" which indicates a British connection.
It's the same thing.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:10 AM

BBC commission and co-production with Netflix:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...s/2018/dracula
Old 01-03-2020, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Cool. It looks really good.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Second episode is set on the ship to England. IMO not as good as the first episode but still good. BRILLIANT ending.
V. psyched for tonights finale.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPWombat View Post
Second episode is set on the ship to England. IMO not as good as the first episode but still good. BRILLIANT ending.

V. psyched for tonights finale.
It isn't available here till tomorrow so be careful about spoilers.

Last edited by davidm; 01-03-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Waiting for the Netflix release tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:08 AM

Drat. I don't get Netflix.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Watched the first one tonight and it was quite good. Some of the little "one liners" from Dracula were groan inducing, not totally in a fun way, but the show was good.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

I watched whole thing today. I definitely recommend it, if you have a strong stomach.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:24 AM

I thought Dracula's one-liners were terrible in the first episode. I'm not sure if they were trying to be terrible on purpose in a cheesy B-movie style, but they just undercut any attempts to build tension, especially in the first 20-30 minutes. I liked Sister Agatha, though.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

I think the second episode is even better than the first. If this comes back every couple of years like Sherlock, I'd be very happy.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Has any word been around about them making another series of this? I am loving it more than I expected. Very good stuff.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I spoke too soon, having just watched the final episode all the way through.

WHAT?????????????

Is this a stand alone series? Did he die? I found the third episode to be wildly uneven. Some things were great, but a lot of it was just insane and all over the place. Very weird.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I spoke too soon, having just watched the final episode all the way through.

WHAT?????????????

Is this a stand alone series? Did he die? I found the third episode to be wildly uneven. Some things were great, but a lot of it was just insane and all over the place. Very weird.
Yeah, I thought the first two episodes were pretty good, but the third one just jumped off the rails. Granted, it was supposed to be a sharp left and to have several sharp twists to wrong-foot the audience and keep them wrong-footed, but that's a difficult trick to pull off, and I don't think they actually managed it. It just wound up being a mess.

I think the ending was deliberately ambiguous, so that if this is the only series they ever do, you can interpret the ending as him committing suicide by cancerblood, but if they decide to do another series, then he just ingested it long enough to give her a peaceful dream while she died, then threw it up, and survived. I'd assume future series would feature Drac as an anti-hero, and reveal more about the Jonathon Harker Foundation an its "occult" funding streams, which would presumably become the true villain.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's still one of the better things I've seen recently.

A new season could be great as long as it's not Dracula and the Harker Foundation fighting the monster of the week.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdave View Post
Yeah, I thought the first two episodes were pretty good, but the third one just jumped off the rails. Granted, it was supposed to be a sharp left and to have several sharp twists to wrong-foot the audience and keep them wrong-footed, but that's a difficult trick to pull off, and I don't think they actually managed it. It just wound up being a mess.

I think the ending was deliberately ambiguous, so that if this is the only series they ever do, you can interpret the ending as him committing suicide by cancerblood, but if they decide to do another series, then he just ingested it long enough to give her a peaceful dream while she died, then threw it up, and survived. I'd assume future series would feature Drac as an anti-hero, and reveal more about the Jonathon Harker Foundation an its "occult" funding streams, which would presumably become the true villain.
I just finished this up last night. In true Steven Moffat form, it is full of great moments, but kinda falls apart at the end

I did like the nods to Doctor Who and Sherlock. Those were fun. I am also curious about the Jonathan Harker Foundation's funding stream, and (assuming a second season) secretly hope it's Klein and Utterson from Jekyll.

Last edited by Maus Magill; 01-08-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: speling
Old 01-08-2020, 08:44 PM

I finished the third episode last night. It was enjoyable enough if you like vampire movies (and I do). Biggest problem for me was the guy playing The Count. The best vampire characters have a magnetism, or seductiveness that makes you love/hate them.
I just didn't like the Dracula in this show. Loved his castle in Transylvania though.

Liked Sister Agatha/Zoe a lot, good choice there.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the castle was great. The series looks like it was expensive to make.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:17 AM

I enjoyed it, but I really just want a Sister Agatha spinoff. She was fantastic.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:29 AM

Has anyone seen Mark Gatiss lately?
Old 01-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I was a big fan of the first 3 seasons of Sherlock, but I quit this thing about three quarters of the way through Episode 1 because it seemed too over-the-top and in love with its own cleverness. I will steel myself and try it again based on the recommendations in this thread.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:29 AM

I watched all 3 eps yesterday. I really enjoyed it, though I thought the last was the weakest. Somehow we went from an atmospheric, gothic (albeit sometimes funny) show to a show about modern day party kids. I know Lucy is part of the original story but I could have lived without that whole arc. The character was so annoying
SPOILER:
I was hoping she'd suffer even more than she did

Unlike River Hippie, I loved this actor's portrayal of Drac. Claes Bang is my new (age appropriate!) Sweet Baby.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:45 PM

I had a hard time with the Team Zoe incompetence on the beach. Really was expecting some trick up their sleeve to explain their level of looseness, like the mercs were undead of sorts themselves...

Otherwise I liked it.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:42 PM

I liked the premise that a group dedicated to studying Dracula and learning about why he is what he is. That should have gone farther such as having him subjected to an xray or MRI scan.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:42 PM

Although I found it extremely campy, I didn't really like the ending.

SPOILER:
Him mentally invading the last moment's of Zoe's death was really off-putting to me, even if he died in the process. While Dracula was charming, I really think he should have had a terrible death at the end. I also didn't care for the cutesy "modern" explanations for his aversions. He's afraid of the cross because his victims were afraid of the cross?? Bleh.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I like it up until the last 10 minutes or so. I felt the ending was very weak.

Otherwise, there were some new spins on an old character.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I like it up until the last 10 minutes or so. I felt the ending was very weak.

Otherwise, there were some new spins on an old character.
A little bit more than the last 10 minutes were rough for me. The entire plot with that girl who got cremated was lame and added on.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Actually, the notion that the dead can feel their cremation was first referenced by Moffat and Gatiss in an episode of Doctor Who called "Dark Water". It was not only lame and added on, it was copied. Not that copying is inherently bad, but it is when done in a lame manner.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 PM

I also liked the first two episodes and would have really liked it to turn into a longer series (even better, flash back and forth between Sister Abigail's time & Zoe's time) but the ending really ruined it for me. So much wasted potential in this series and a very disappointing ending.

Jaime
Old 01-13-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Although I found it extremely campy, I didn't really like the ending.

SPOILER:
Him mentally invading the last moment's of Zoe's death was really off-putting to me, even if he died in the process. While Dracula was charming, I really think he should have had a terrible death at the end. I also didn't care for the cutesy "modern" explanations for his aversions. He's afraid of the cross because his victims were afraid of the cross?? Bleh.
But that's not actually why he's afraid of the cross - or at least that's not the explanation Zoe/Sister Agatha eventually settles on. She eventually surmises that's he's afraid of the cross because he's a coward who's terrified of death and the cross represents a courage he will never have, to willingly sacrifice oneself for the good of others. Which, actually, I think is more bleh.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

The way Dracula "escaped" from his prison has got to be one of the biggest bull shit scenes I've ever seen in my life.

Loved the first three episodes though.

Last edited by Grrr!; 01-13-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:47 AM

I was thinking a person like Dracula would make a great spy. He can read peoples thoughts and hypnotize them to do his bidding. He can walk on the outside of a building like Spiderman and turn himself into various animals.

I can think of some great subplots like maybe have Dracula return to his native Transylvania (modern Romania) to say break up a terrorist ring. Originally Vlad the Impaler became a vampire because he used his powers originally to fight off an eastern invasion.

Last edited by Urbanredneck; 01-14-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Did Dracula get his powers after he lost his sweetheart to whatever invading forces?
Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

It's never said in the show, but the book implied he had attended the Scholomance while alive.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM

I had to look up Scholomance. According to Wikipedia there was a dragon like creature there called a balaur. Didn't Dracula use Balaur as an alias at one point in the show? If so that was a nice touch!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:01 PM

Yes and it was explained by Agatha that it meant dragon.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:30 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Of course, Dracula would be the Son of the Dragon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2020, 03:35 PM
Sith Mod

My God, that third episode was terrible. It's like it was written by an entirely different creative team who actively hated the first two episodes.

There's a lot to complain about, but let me just focus on this one. The Dutch Nun comes back from the dead, possesses her not-exactly-a-descendant, and then... helps Dracula overcome three of his strongest weaknesses? Why is she helping him all of a sudden? She saw this dude feed an entire convent to a pack of wolves! He's not a good dude! He's not even a morally gray, "must kill to survive but feels terrible about it" dude! He's straight up gleefully evil! And now he can be gleefully evil in broad daylight! Good job, Agatha!

Also, Dracula is a vampire. He's hundreds of years old. He survives by drinking blood, and no other nutrients. He can age backwards. He can scale walls like a spider. He can transform back and forth from a wolf to a human. He's immune to bullets. But somehow, the sunlight/cross/invitation aspects of his vampirism are the only bits that need an explanation? And the explanation is that it's fucking psychosomatic? Why does the series accept all the other magical stuff Dracula can do, but needs a "realistic" explanation for this stuff?

Last edited by Miller; 01-22-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
But somehow, the sunlight/cross/invitation aspects of his vampirism are the only bits that need an explanation? And the explanation is that it's fucking psychosomatic?
Somewhere the ghost of Terry Prachett is trying to sue them for stealing his plot points from Carpe Jugulum.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

I was just thinking, the ONE saving grace aspect of episode four was Drac's observations of the 21st century.

That's about the only thing I liked about episode 4.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I finished the third episode last night. It was enjoyable enough if you like vampire movies (and I do). Biggest problem for me was the guy playing The Count. The best vampire characters have a magnetism, or seductiveness that makes you love/hate them.
I just didn't like the Dracula in this show. Loved his castle in Transylvania though.

Liked Sister Agatha/Zoe a lot, good choice there.

I agree with this. Dracula is supposed to be sexy - I didn't find this guy too appealing. For some reason he reminded me of James Mason and I really dislike James Mason. The only time he looked somewhat handsome to me was toward the end of E3 when he ws writhing around on the floor because of the sun. His writhing caused his hair to get a bit mussed. Then I thought - oh he's kind of cute when his bangs aren't slicked down.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Just finished this last night. I thought the first episode was great, the second one was pretty good, and then came the third episode which was a complete trainwreck. It's rare to see a show go completely off the rails so badly like that.

Here's my suspicion: The first three episodes were originally intended to be essentially the background and pilot for a new series about a modern day Dracula somehow becoming a dark anti-hero like Tom Ellis's Lucifer. That last episode seemed like it was trying to adopt the tone of that show. But when the network saw how badly is was going in that third ep they pulled the plug and told them to finish it as a one-off trilogy. Thus we spend lots of time introducing the Harker Foundation, complete with mysteries about it that we never learn, only to have it completely dropped as a plot device because of a crazy lawyer demand.

It was all stupid. The idea that Dracula was just a poor old man who was afraid of dying was ridiculous. The effect of sunlight on him being psychosomatic was ridiculous. The idea that Van Helsing would see him even remotely sympathetically was ridiculous. The elaborate vampire holding facilities were ridiculous. And most ridiculous of all was the idea that after spending 133 years building elaborate vampire cells and making plans for Dracula's return they would just let him walk out to terrorize the world because some sketchy lawyer showed up and demanded his release.

The ending redemption arc and Dracula and Van Helsing dying in each other's arms was offensive to both characters.

If the three parter had been a two parter that ended with the explosion of the Demeter and Dracula's box drifting slowly down into the depths with Van Helsing's body following, I would have said it was a very good retelling of Dracula with some modern touches.

Given all three episodes together.... thumbs down. Unfortunately. I really liked Abigail Von Helsing. I think it's worth watching for the first two episodes and the acting and snappy dialog, but prepare to be disappointed when you queue up the last episode.