Old 01-15-2020, 10:45 PM

My fella, who has a really good eye for such things, had never seen the The Stand, the first one. I had him watch is and pointed out the bad guy, saying, it's funny, I never saw that guy anywhere else. Shit, he said, Law and Order, that's Jamey Sheridan.

Ah, but Lenny. Adore.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
Also: "My fourth wife used to say I drink too much."
Maitre D': [referring to the victim and her husband] She gave him a big hug.
Lennie Briscoe: No kiss?
Maitre D': You married?
Lennie Briscoe: I've toyed with the notion.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:31 AM

I like seeing all the now-famous actors who show up in the early seasons...William H. Macy, Philip Seymour Huffman, James Earl Jones*, Allison Janney, Hayden Pannettiere, Amanda Seyfried...the list goes on and on.

Is it streaming anywhere? I've looked on Prime, Netflix, and Hulu and I can't seem to find it.

I gave up on SVU after Stabler left. He left a big hole.

*Well, JEJ was famous before L&O, but it was fun to see him pop up.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post

Is it streaming anywhere? I've looked on Prime, Netflix, and Hulu and I can't seem to find it.
Not yet but it looks like NBC's new streaming service is going to have it.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

My favorite Law & Order line, when the team was investigating the bombing of a women's health clinic:

Pro-Life Person: We favor birth. We think frozen embryos should be carried to term by volunteers and then put up for adoption.
Finn: A lot of gay men and lesbians will be glad to hear that.
P-L P: No, we only favor adoption to the right people.
Finn: Yeah. Straight, white, Christian couples
P-L P: Oh, we're not prejudiced. Christians come in all colors.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:28 AM

I'm finally getting around to watching the later seasons.

Quote:
Green: Piece of cake. We just look for a black guy and a white guy together in New York City.
Lupo: Well, there's us.
And later when they're tailing a suspect:
Quote:
Lupo: Look, One white guy, one black guy.
Green: And it's not us.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

The cold open always seemed to feature someone walking somewhere in New York and stumbling on a dead body. And then when the person was being interviewed by the police, they'd continue to do their job (moving boxes, shelving books, whatever). At some point, they'd seem to get annoyed and ask, "Are we done? These flowers aren't going to arrange themselves." It gave the impression that New Yorkers were really blasť about dead bodies.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I'm finally getting around to watching the later seasons.
I really enjoyed the later seasons when Dennis Farina played one of the detective Joe Fontana. I think he and Jerry Orbach (Lenny Briscoe) were my two favorite characters in the entire series.

It always seemed to me that Fontana was a highly unrealistic char who would have been fired within about ten seconds for appearing to have a huge fortune. The way he dressed and the car he drove both seemed to me to require a millionaire's budget. But the best thing about him - IMO - was his attitude. I loved watching him.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
I really enjoyed the later seasons when Dennis Farina played one of the detective Joe Fontana. I think he and Jerry Orbach (Lenny Briscoe) were my two favorite characters in the entire series.

It always seemed to me that Fontana was a highly unrealistic char who would have been fired within about ten seconds for appearing to have a huge fortune. The way he dressed and the car he drove both seemed to me to require a millionaire's budget. But the best thing about him - IMO - was his attitude. I loved watching him.
He was a Chicago PD cop for 18 years so I would guess he would know better than most what was realistic and what wasnt.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
He was a Chicago PD cop for 18 years so I would guess he would know better than most what was realistic and what wasnt.
Heh Heh. I'm sure you are correct.

But I'm fairly certain he didn't make the decisions as to how the character would act or what characteristics he possessed. That sort of thing just isn't under the control of the actor.

Of course, I could be mistaken. I often am.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
......It always seemed to me that Fontana was a highly unrealistic char who would have been fired within about ten seconds for appearing to have a huge fortune. The way he dressed and the car he drove both seemed to me to require a millionaire's budget. But the best thing about him - IMO - was his attitude. I loved watching him.
It seemed pretty clear the writers were trying to suggest Fontana was crooked, or had been crooked in the past. Such a backstory for a character could have been an interesting wrinkle. (Although a plot development like that would've fit better on SVU, where the characters' personal lives are explored more.) Alas, nothing ever came of it.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
It seemed pretty clear the writers were trying to suggest Fontana was crooked, or had been crooked in the past. Such a backstory for a character could have been an interesting wrinkle. (Although a plot development like that would've fit better on SVU, where the characters' personal lives are explored more.) Alas, nothing ever came of it.
I always thought the same thing. AAMOF, I thought the show just ran out of time before they revealed that about him.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
I used to love Law and Order, though my favorite era was when Briscoe and Logan were the two cops (which looks like seasons 3-5 according to the wiki list). What I always liked was that the show felt very real - while it was certianly written to be an interesting hour long TV show, they'd have to deal with things like having to get warrants, the trial not going according to plan, and the like. At the point I lost interest I remember feeling like they had started to go for more 'sensational' over 'realistic', but I also might just have lost interest over time since the show ran for so long. I was never a huge fan of the spinoffs. SVU seemed to ditch the realism and focus on sensationalism, and I don't really get Ice T as an actor. Criminal Intent also ditched the realistic format and was more of a showcase for the lead actor to perform, they were much bigger on doing psychological tricks to pull out the confession at the end which almost always wrapped up the case without a trial. I liked CI for a while, but not as much as the main series, and lost interest in it quicker.
Relevant John Mulaney clip:

https://youtu.be/F1sd4CRcaE0
Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
The cold open always seemed to feature someone walking somewhere in New York and stumbling on a dead body. And then when the person was being interviewed by the police, they'd continue to do their job (moving boxes, shelving books, whatever). At some point, they'd seem to get annoyed and ask, "Are we done? These flowers aren't going to arrange themselves." It gave the impression that New Yorkers were really blasť about dead bodies.
That always annoyed me about the show. Every.single.time. I mean, if I am in the garden and two detectives show up and tell me that the neighbor was sodomized with a baseball bat and murdered last night, then they have my full attention.

I will put down the gardening rake and weed killer and answer their questions without any distractions.

Further, I will give them the important details first and spare them any backstory, knowing that they are busy people. For example, I won't talk about how the neighbor was always such a nice guy who helped teach my special needs kid how to read last summer, but ohbytheway a strange white sedan was in his driveway last night and I heard screaming; do you think that might help?
Old 01-20-2020, 07:25 AM
Suspended

the only thing on TV more than L&O reruns are Mike Bloomberg ads.

I watch L&O SVU now and then , just started watching a few years back. I record every episode but I don't watch all of them.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that source of Fontana's wealth was that he was an heir of a "Chef Boyardee" fictional counterpart's fortune but I don't think they ever actually referenced that on a show.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:34 AM
BANNED

Darn it all! I just saw one episode that I'm fairly certain was one of the last few in Season 10 or one of the first few in Season 11. Lenny makes a remark that is just side-splitting funny but for some reason, I just can't remember what it is.

That is so unfortunate because I think it is head and shoulders above any other remark I've ever heard him make. I affirm it was the funniest thing he ever said and I am drawing a total blank. But I promise to track it down if I have to watch all of these episodes again and again.

I will get back to you all just as soon as I have a resolution.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Darn it all! I just saw one episode that I'm fairly certain was one of the last few in Season 10 or one of the first few in Season 11. Lenny makes a remark that is just side-splitting funny but for some reason, I just can't remember what it is.
You might start with the quotes pages on IMDb. Here's the page for Stiff, the next-to-last episode of season 10; Lennie has a few good zingers in that one.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:25 AM
BANNED

OK. I found it! It's Season 11 Episode 2 - Turnstile Justice.

I don't know how many of you will remember this but in the late 1990's and early 2000's, Regis Philbin was hosting the TV show, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" and he would ask each contestant, "Is that your final answer?". It became very famous.

Well, in this epislode Lenny Briscoe and Ed Green have a mentally deranged black man in an interrogation room. This man does not want to give his name or allow them to take his fingerprints. But, A.D.A. Abbie Carmichael takes charge and tells the man she needs to know his name. He thinks for a sec and then replies, "Regis Philbin". There is a moment of silence and then Lennie asks, "Is that your final answer?"

I just about fell down laughing. IMHO, that is the funniest thing that Lennie has ever said. There are a few web sites that contain all of Lennie's humorous one-liners. Apparently, most of them were ad libs. But this one just hit me as the funniest of them all.

By the way, the latter part of Season 10 and the early part of Season 11 contain some of the very best episodes (IMO) of them all. For pure excellence in drama, I would like to recommend Season 10 Episode 18, "Mega". It stars Michael McKean and Annette O'toole and I don't think I've ever seen either of them turn in better dramatic performances. This episode had me hanging on to the edge of my seat right up to the very end where it ends in a real nail-biter surprise. This epsisode may well be my single favorite episode of the entire series.

If any of you take the time to view these two episodes, I hope you will enjoy them.

ETA: Thank you Robot Arm

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-23-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Relevant John Mulaney clip:

https://youtu.be/F1sd4CRcaE0
Yeah, I had forgotten about the always being surprised thing, which adds to the feeling of "Ice-T's character is a rapper playing a cop who's completely new to the job".
Old 01-23-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I disagree that Fontana was an unrealistic character. I fear he was far too realistic. He's a self-absorbed jerk, he tortured a confession out of a suspect and got away with it, he goes way over the legal line investigating. I'm sure he thinks there are "cops and little people", and only the former deserve respect. In other words, he'd fit right in the NYPD.

I hate every episode he's in, except the "JonBenet Ramsey" episode, where he incorrectly assumed the father was the killer and hounded him for years in his usual Fontana style. When they finally proved he didn't, Fontana went to ask forgiveness from the father, who basically told him to fuck off, and it hurt. Good day!

I wish they could have kept Falco and lost Fontana. Preferably in the east river.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 01-23-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
By the way, the latter part of Season 10 and the early part of Season 11 contain some of the very best episodes (IMO) of them all. For pure excellence in drama, I would like to recommend Season 10 Episode 18, "Mega". It stars Michael McKean and Annette O'toole and I don't think I've ever seen either of them turn in better dramatic performances. This episode had me hanging on to the edge of my seat right up to the very end where it ends in a real nail-biter surprise. This epsisode may well be my single favorite episode of the entire series.
They're married IRL, so that makes it even better.

The original L&O is my favorite. There was one episode where the son of a mobster is accused of murder, and his father, the kingpin, says that there's no way his son could have killed anyone. When asked why, his father says (quite matter-of-factly) "He doesn't have the authority." That just gave me chills.

Christine Baranski was also on an early episode, playing the sister of a Mafia don.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I remember one episode in which Jack McCoy promised the suspect that he would receive immunity. (Saying something like, "I promise you that the Manhattan district attorney's office or the Office of the New York County District Attorney will not prosecute you.") After receiving a confession, McCoy stepped aside as the guy was arrested and charged by the Brooklyn district attorney.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:40 AM
BANNED

I recently saw one episode that featured a highly incompetent defense atty. It was Season 11 Episode 1. Funny how it seems that whenever they feature an incompetent defense atty, that atty also turns out to try and hit on one of the ADA's.

My favorite incompetent defense atty is the character Randy Dworkin. He appears in at least 2 or 3 episodes and whenever he appears, the episodes almost seem to be comedies. There is something about this character that I just love watching. IMHO, it's a real shame they couldn't have given him a recurring role.

I don't remember the char name of the atty in S11E01 but you may remember him. At the end of the episode, he approaches Jack McCoy and says, "A tip from the other side of the aisle. The next time you get the opportunity to take a lower but included offense, you should take it." In his style, McCoy refuses to call him an idiot but just says, "Thank You" to him. It was excellent TV, IMO.

This char tries to hit on Angie Harmon but she acts as if he is invisible and she can't hear a word he says. I loved that.

Does anyone remember any other episodes that featured incompetent defense attorneys?

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-25-2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

In a show where they are very good at portraying police detectives correctly, it drives me bonkers that they show the two detectives walking up the pathway to the suspect's door with their guns safely holstered. Way to get both your heads blow off when the suspect opens the door and starts shooting.

In real life they walk up from opposite corners of the sidewalk in a V-formation, with their guns out. Suspects opens the door with a gun, turns to one and the other one fires.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:

My favorite incompetent defense atty is the character Randy Dworkin. He appears in at least 2 or 3 episodes and whenever he appears, the episodes almost seem to be comedies. There is something about this character that I just love watching. IMHO, it's a real shame they couldn't have given him a recurring role.

Does anyone remember any other episodes that featured incompetent defense attorneys?
Randy's not incompetent - he puts on an act of incompetence, but proves pretty challenging to beat. A real incompetent is Jerry Stiller's character in https://lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/Deadbeat -

"This is Sam Pokras, an attorney."
"Mostly real estate.
I'm Max's cousin.
Oh, what a tragedy.
First Mike is murdered, now Max is in trouble?"

" Well, we want to ask him a few questions."
"Sam, they think I killed him."

"They do? You didn't, did you, Max? No, of course not.
Then just tell them the truth.
I never saw anybody get hurt by the truth.
"
Old 01-25-2020, 11:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Randy's not incompetent - he puts on an act of incompetence, but proves pretty challenging to beat. A real incompetent is Jerry Stiller's character in https://lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/Deadbeat -

"This is Sam Pokras, an attorney."
"Mostly real estate.
I'm Max's cousin.
Oh, what a tragedy.
First Mike is murdered, now Max is in trouble?"

" Well, we want to ask him a few questions."
"Sam, they think I killed him."

"They do? You didn't, did you, Max? No, of course not.
Then just tell them the truth.
I never saw anybody get hurt by the truth.
"
Yes. You are quite right. Randy is not incompetent. He just appears to be incompetent to his opposing lawyers - but not to the home audience.

You are also entirely correct about Jerry Stiller's character. He was a complete disaster - a complete mess - and a thoroughly incompetent lawyer. He was so incompetent that it wasn't even funny - sad to say. Funny is so much better.

But do you remember the "wise guy" smarmy character from S11E01? I just wish that guy had appeared in almost every episode. It was so thrilling to watch him behave like such a fool and to watch the D.A.'s show him up by pretending to make him feel like he was better than them. That was a really excellent life lesson for me. The best way to defeat someone is to make them think you are helping them win. It was just superb!

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-25-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
But do you remember the "wise guy" smarmy character from S11E01? I just wish that guy had appeared in almost every episode. It was so thrilling to watch him behave like such a fool and to watch the D.A.'s show him up by pretending to make him feel like he was better than them. That was a really excellent life lesson for me. The best way to defeat someone is to make them think you are helping them win. It was just superb!
Yeah. "Barry Peck" played by Nick Chinlund. He also played the embedded reporter who revealed US troop positions in another episode of L&O (based on the Geraldo Rivera incident).

I liked some of the really twisty cases on L&O - the grandmother who hires a hitman (and it turns out she was right - her daughter-in-laws new husband did kill her son) and gets on so well with Lenny, the baby doctor who is using his own DNA, and the case that leads to the murder trial of a plastic surgeon who killed a woman (and had a biomedical rep assisting during the surgery).

Last edited by Andy L; 01-25-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah. "Barry Peck" played by Nick Chinlund. He also played the embedded reporter who revealed US troop positions in another episode of L&O (based on the Geraldo Rivera incident).

I liked some of the really twisty cases on L&O - the grandmother who hires a hitman (and it turns out she was right - her daughter-in-laws new husband did kill her son) and gets on so well with Lenny, the baby doctor who is using his own DNA, and the case that leads to the murder trial of a plastic surgeon who killed a woman (and had a biomedical rep assisting during the surgery).
Thank you for posting that. Please feel welcome to post more about the episodes you enjoyed. I'd very much like to learn what some of them might be.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:54 PM

Speaking of recurring defense attorneys - I love Daniel Melnick. SHe always knows how to stick it to McCoy. (Did they have a relationship prior to the show? One wonders.)

I also like Shambala Green. I always got the vibe her and Stone used to be an item.

Speaking of, is Wolf obsessed with bedding his assistants? There sure is a lot if that throughout the show. At least I think we can be pretty sure he never slept with Serena, and I think Abby would have told McCoy to go F himself.

Speaking of speaking of...have you all noticed how some episode themes get repeated, even across the shows? Like both mothership and CI had episodes about fertility doctors who impregnated their patient.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

Speaking of, is Wolf obsessed with bedding his assistants?
Did you mean McCoy?

I've always been intrigued by Abbie. I don't think there was ever a mention of any romantic interest in her past. The only two facts that I seem to remember about her was that she came from Dallas and she wanted to see every criminal suffer and die.

But she did get in some excellent quips. Remember, "Put this between your knees and squeeze"?
Old 01-25-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The only two facts that I seem to remember about her was that she came from Dallas...
I thought it was Houston.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Did you mean McCoy?
No I meant Wolf. Because it seems to come up a lot. McCoy is the usual surrogate, but it seems like wish fulfillment on someone behind the scene's part. Or someone just thinks that's the way it is. of course you sleep with your assistant(s).

There was an interesting episode where the roles were reversed - "Hang 'em High" Abby was pushing for the leniency side, and McCoy was looking to execute.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:04 PM

Another great Jack McCoy moment: irritated at the exclusion of evidence by the judge, McCoy asks Curtiss if he was looking for the murder weapon before he and Brisco visited the defendant's apartment. "Yes" "How about after you left?" (McCoy ends up in jail for contempt).
Old 01-25-2020, 08:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I thought it was Houston.
There was one episode where someone said the same thing to Abbie. She replied, "Dallas".
Old 01-25-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
There was one episode where someone said the same thing to Abbie. She replied, "Dallas".
There's an episode where Jack makes a plea deal with a serial killer and it requires that he not extradite the killer to a state with the death penalty. (I just looked it up; Agony, season 9, episode 5.) When evidence is found that exonerates the suspect from the one murder he was going to plead guilty to, McCoy needs to find something new to use as leverage. He asks Abby if she still has some letterhead from the Houston D.A.'s office and creates a letter to make it look like the suspect will be extradited to Texas.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
There's an episode where Jack makes a plea deal with a serial killer and it requires that he not extradite the killer to a state with the death penalty. (I just looked it up; Agony, season 9, episode 5.) When evidence is found that exonerates the suspect from the one murder he was going to plead guilty to, McCoy needs to find something new to use as leverage. He asks Abby if she still has some letterhead from the Houston D.A.'s office and creates a letter to make it look like the suspect will be extradited to Texas.
I remember that one. Maybe she worked in Houston for a while? Or maybe she went to school there?

I would like to find the episode where she said she was from Dallas. But I fear it would be very difficult to find that. I can't remember who it was that she told she was from Dallas. I have a hunch it was someone trying to hit on her. But I just can't remember.

Here is a link from Wiki that states she is from Dallas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbie_Carmichael

Yippee! I finally beat the 5 minute limit on editing.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-26-2020 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
and the case that leads to the murder trial of a plastic surgeon who killed a woman (and had a biomedical rep assisting during the surgery).
I thought it was an OBGYN surgery? There was the surgeon who deliberately removed a heart and lung block from a living patient for a transplant because he was trying to get to a better hospital (McCoy caught him by asking why he needed morphine for the transplant removal surgery) and then there was the OB/GYN who did surgery with the biomed rep in the OR.

I also like the episode where a wealthy couple adopted a baby from Russia, found out she was ill, and dumped her on another couple who had already adopted a troubled boy and would not be eligible for another adoption.

I liked the first McCoy episode with the luminous Elizabeth Ashley as his opponent. He was prosecuting a woman for prescribing laetrile as a cancer treatment. He also had a good episode with Patty LuPone when he was prosecuting a nanny for poisoning a baby. He had found exculpatory evidence and after he questioned his witness, he goes back to his desk and as he passes Patty he whispers "You owe me." Patty's facial expression as she processes what he said in a flash and then proceeds to tear the witness a new one is a joy to behold.

An early Stone episode got him shutting down a suspect who orchestrated a bombing of an abortion clinic. Since she sent in a pregnant woman to deliver the bomb and she was killed in the explosion, he checkmated her nicely by asking, "If abortion is murder, then no matter how you feel about Mary Donovan, aren't you guilty of the murder of her unborn child?"

I could sit here all day and talk about L&O.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I could sit here all day and talk about L&O.
Excellent! Well, you are definitely in the right place then.

I remember some of those episodes and you are certainly right. I am slowly but surely binge watching all 20 seasons. But I started with season 6 because I recall the first five seasons were not as good as the rest.

However, I will shortly be getting to those first five seasons.

My point is that I remember most of those episodes you mention and I agree they were some of the very best.

I enjoy the episodes with the surprise endings. Several have a married couple participating in a murder and the husband thinks the wife is under his thumb. But at the very end, the wife give hubbie a big surprise and turns the table on him. One good example is titled "Mega" and it stars Michael McKean and Annette O'toole. One of my most favorties.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I always liked seeing if I could recognize the real-life case that inspired the story.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I always liked seeing if I could recognize the real-life case that inspired the story.
"Ripped from the headlines."

Since it went off the air, all we could do is see a real life event and wonder, what would the L&O episode look like?

Until FBI and FBI Most Wanted. This week's FBI:MW was ripped from any number of school shootings and combined with the Las Vegas shooter.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I've been looking for a while for the episode that deals with Paul and Karla Homolka (aka The Scarboroough Rapist).

They made some of the biggest criminal news ever in Canada. They acted as a team to abduct and then rape and murder young girls.

I guess Paul figured he was invincible because one day he beat the snot out of his wife Karla and she was not going to take that from him and so she went to the police and told them all about hubby who is currently serving a life sentence and it is very doubtful he will ever get out again. Almost everyone in Canada who gets a life sentence eventually gets out after a while. But this guy is kind of like the Charles Manson of Canada.

Would anyone know which episode in Law and Order tells their story? I know that one such episode does. But I have been unable to find out which one.

I found the name of the episode is Fool For Love but need to know which season it's in.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-26-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:07 PM

https://lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/Fools_For_Love
Old 01-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

The episode "Fools for Love", which aired on 23 February 2000 and is episode 15 of the tenth season, was based on the story of Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:40 PM

It has Ellen Pompeo in it.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I thought it was an OBGYN surgery? There was the surgeon who deliberately removed a heart and lung block from a living patient for a transplant because he was trying to get to a better hospital (McCoy caught him by asking why he needed morphine for the transplant removal surgery) and then there was the OB/GYN who did surgery with the biomed rep in the OR.
You're right - it was a OB/GYN. I remembered this line "Rudnick said he'd throw in a tummy tuck" and got confused.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:39 PM

Since L&O took place in New York, they did most of the filming there. Since The Sopranos took place in New Jersey, they did most of the filming in that region.

Many years ago, the TV station A&E (which used to run a lot of L&O episodes) did a L&O marathon in which each episode featured a guest actor who was a regular on The Sopranos. They never advertised that is what they were doing, but for those of who watched it was a lot of fun identifying The Sopranos characters. My favorite was the episode I.D. in which Aida Turturro (Janice on The Sopranos) had a bit part as a rather clueless receptionist.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:13 PM

As I'm watching L&O this very second while I check my boards, WeTv is up to Briscoe/Green episodes. They cycle through all of them in order and it feels like just yesterday we were on Robinette/Stone.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The episode "Fools for Love", which aired on 23 February 2000 and is episode 15 of the tenth season, was based on the story of Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo.
Thanks ever so much!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:27 AM
BANNED

I just watched the episode "Fools for Love". It was a very good episode. But there were many big differences between the episode and the reality.

I suppose that is certainly nothing to complain about. After all, the producers of the show have entirely different objectives than the news media who reported this story. But I thought some of you might enjoy hearing some of the differences between the reality and the TV show.

In reality, the female got hardly any jail time - my memory is that she was only jailed for about 2 or 3 years. Her lawyer got her an incredible deal. On the show, she got 25 years to life - which is what I think most people would have said she deserved.

They could have easily turned this into 2 or 3 episodes. I remember another case there were 3 episodes when some killer who resembled Ted Bundy left a trail of bodies all across the country. He and Abbie Carmichael got into some very nasty personal exchanges. This guy was the mother of all creeps. I'm pretty certain they did 3 episodes on this story line but so far as I remember, they never showed us how it all ended. Maybe I missed an episode somewhere along the way.

In an case, back to "Fools for Love", they did a good job showing how incredibly creepy the female was. But they portrayed the male as a very normal individual which I found very strange because he had a very long history of raping and killing girls. He began his spree - which lasted about 6 years - when he was quite young and lived in an area called Scarborough. He raped girls for many years (maybe 5 years) and was never caught. He was given the nickname, "The Scarborough Rapist" and it seems so incredible that he could have been raping girls for something like 5 years in the same location while holding down a full time job as an accountant and was never caught. He was only caught when he made the mistake of beating his gf and she then turned him in. All in all, a very incredible story.